The bad sprite splicers badly spliced sprites

Xenoks

Hiya.
These are sprites(splices) made by me, and I wanted someone to tell me where I should improve or what I should change.
Keep in mind these are my very first attempts at spriting/splicing anything.
[spoiler=Magic Users]
Magic%20users_zpszrzivwax.png

[spoiler=Cavaliers & Knights]
Cavaliers_zps8vzeltsl.png

[spoiler=Archers]
Archers_zpsvu5txw3m.png

[spoiler=Custom Classes]
Custom_zpszyp9oepf.png
The guy with Dieck's body is a sort of "martial artist" named Aiken.
The guy with the cloak and the rag over his left eye is a Geomancer(they can tell the future and thus avoid attacks easily), currently nameless.

[spoiler=Myrmidons/Swordmasters]
Myrmidons%20n%20Swordmasters_zpswie6xons

[spoiler=Fliers]
Rose_zpsqqjv9azj.png

[spoiler=Bards/Dancers]
BardHD_zpspslmiidk.png

Edited by Xenoks

I'm pretty sure that you mixed FE8 and FE7 colors, though I can't say for certain, but that makes splices look weird so try not to do it, and just stick with one. Try maybe focusing on one so that you can get it to look cleaner/making sure everything meshes together correctly, and then moving on to a new one, that way you figure out the more basic-ish stuff. Also most of the hair lines are kinda wierdly shaded (I think anyway), I'm not an expert on spriting as this piece of advice clearly shows but mostly I try to just completely copy the old sprites hairline shading and hope it works out, maybe try doing that so that it doesn't look so flat, like in the character that's using Roland's hair.

I'm pretty sure that you mixed FE8 and FE7 colors, though I can't say for certain, but that makes splices look weird so try not to do it, and just stick with one. Try maybe focusing on one so that you can get it to look cleaner/making sure everything meshes together correctly, and then moving on to a new one, that way you figure out the more basic-ish stuff. Also most of the hair lines are kinda wierdly shaded (I think anyway), I'm not an expert on spriting as this piece of advice clearly shows but mostly I try to just completely copy the old sprites hairline shading and hope it works out, maybe try doing that so that it doesn't look so flat, like in the character that's using Roland's hair.

My aim is to improve, and I will do so.

K8Abl92.png

Better?

• 2 weeks later...

Not bad. As others have said, a bit more mixing and matching of parts for these splices would help them to stand out more and appear more original. :)

Some good tutorials in the Spriters Resource thread on that. Nickt has a short but helpful tutorial on this as well.(language warning though)

Keep at it, you've got the basics pretty down. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next! :D

(Also its helpful for commenters if you post the latest works within your update posts as well, not just within the original post, then we don't have to hunt to find them... Although that is good for organization and getting a complete sense of the works.)

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

Not bad. As others have said, a bit more mixing and matching of parts for these splices would help them to stand out more and appear more original. :)

Some good tutorials in the Spriters Resource thread on that. Nickt has a short but helpful tutorial on this as well.(language warning though)

Keep at it, you've got the basics pretty down. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next! :D

(Also its helpful for commenters if you post the latest works within your update posts as well, not just within the original post, then we don't have to hunt to find them... Although that is good for organization and getting a complete sense of the works.)

Yeah I'm pretty disorganised, which is why I put the sprites in my signature.

• 1 month later...

Wow you improved her portrait quite a bit. She's kinda evil looking (is that what you were going for?). Good work.

She looks evil far away because of the shading, but trust me, it looks normal on emulators :p

She looks evil far away because of the shading, but trust me, it looks normal on emulators :p

Heh I believe you. But seriously these look really good. Unfortunately I'm not an artist so I can't offer good feedback, but for what it's worth I think they're pretty good.

Heh I believe you. But seriously these look really good. Unfortunately I'm not an artist so I can't offer good feedback, but for what it's worth I think they're pretty good.

I just like doing splices a lot, so I put a lot of care into them. That's probably why they don't look so terrible.

UPDATE(not like anyone cares):

hey bud, just a piece of advice I would like to share that Smirks shared in a recent thread. No need to be negative towards your own stuff. You're learning just like everyone does. :)

(also, a note on your [thread title]: There are plenty of others willing to call you a failure, a fool, a loser, a hopeless souse. Don't you ever say it of yourself. You send out the wrong signal, that is what people pick up.-Captain Archibald Haddock)

Added female Cavalier and made everything sorted by class.Femalecavalier_zpsnfsj1bl1.png
As for the current work. You have been improving. Keep it up. :)

One thing you want to keep in mind however is shading and proportions. A number of your mugs have smushed heads, or unproportional faces. This latest mug seems fine though proportion wise however, along with the Green haired beta Forde Cavalier, and that Dieck splice with the Bandanna. Those are the best heads you have at the moment as their skills are properly formed... Whereas unfortunately some of the more interesting designs you have, also have smushed heads with basically extremly small or caved in skulls. :)

Latest Cavalier girl has some cool stuff going on. But the shading needs work. Especially on the hair as currently it isn't looking quite right in how you are using the darkest shade, which should basically work to define it from the face... Neck is also a lil off in its placement, and her hair should likely be a pixel or two wider to not give her a smushed head. :)

That said, you are definitely improving, keep trying new things! Your designs have been fun and clearly trying to be a bit more unique... So the designs are cool, definitely a step in the right direction, but just need some better execution. Anyways, that said you are getting better so, keep it up! :D

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

As for the current work. You have been improving. Keep it up. :)

One thing you want to keep in mind however is shading and proportions. A number of your mugs have smushed heads, or unproportional faces. This latest mug seems fine though proportion wise however, along with the Green haired beta Forde Cavalier, and that Dieck splice with the Bandanna. Those are the best heads you have at the moment as their skills are properly formed... Whereas unfortunately some of the more interesting designs you have, also have smushed heads with basically extremly small or caved in skulls. :)

Latest Cavalier girl has some cool stuff going on. But the shading needs work. Especially on the hair as currently it isn't looking quite right in how you are using the darkest shade, which should basically work to define it from the face... Neck is also a lil off in its placement, and her hair should likely be a pixel or two wider to not give her a smushed head. :)

That said, you are definitely improving, keep trying new things! Your designs have been fun and clearly trying to be a bit more unique... So the designs are cool, definitely a step in the right direction, but just need some better execution. Anyways, that said you are getting better so, keep it up! :D

Wow thanks, that's a big compliment, especially from someone who can make better sprites (I especially loved your animation sheets, they're amazing and miles away from anything I coulda done). That being said, I think it's obvious I'll either be using my newer sprites or improving (maybe even remaking) my old ones.

But one thing I couldn't understand was " keep trying new things! Your designs have been fun and clearly trying to be a bit more unique... ". I couldn't really undesrand why you meant by "unique" as all I try is to make a splice look like an original character (well I've at least started doing that since I found out it's much more fun)

So what class is that Deke-looking guy? Given he looks like Deke, I'd assume Merc, but you listed him under custom classes, so I'm curious what "custom class" he is.

So what class is that Deke-looking guy? Given he looks like Deke, I'd assume Merc, but you listed him under custom classes, so I'm curious what "custom class" he is.

He isn't a mercenary, he's basically a "Martial artist".

And I don't get how he looks like Deke since only the body and bandana aren't custom...

Since Deke is basically just a naked body with armor on that one shoulder, any Deke splice is going to have to cloth him/do something different to try to disguise him more. Basically, Deke's body was left the same, except some tweaks that I can see. So we can tell Deke right away. ;)

Keep in mind some of us have been working with these sprites for years and can see the bases pretty easily on sight unless someone does a lot of splicing. :)

As well when I said "unique" I basically meant just what you are saying about trying to make them "original characters" that is what you should aim for, and I can see you are going for that. Which is the right way to go. :)

So keep it up!

Since Deke is basically just a naked body with armor on that one shoulder, any Deke splice is going to have to cloth him/do something different to try to disguise him more. Basically, Deke's body was left the same, except some tweaks that I can see. So we can tell Deke right away. ;)

Keep in mind some of us have been working with these sprites for years and can see the bases pretty easily on sight unless someone does a lot of splicing. :)

As well when I said "unique" I basically meant just what you are saying about trying to make them "original characters" that is what you should aim for, and I can see you are going for that. Which is the right way to go. :)

So keep it up!

Haha, thanks. I really just made two sprites that I'm gonna post and I think they're original and look okay c:

Myrm is looking cool, though need to give him about 2-4 pixels of more skull on the top right.

One suggestion would be to make the jacket use the two darkest shades of blue as well, then keep the shirt the same to give it more differentiation, if that is supposed to be a jacket and shirt combo?

Myrm is looking cool, though need to give him about 2-4 pixels of more skull on the top right.

One suggestion would be to make the jacket use the two darkest shades of blue as well, then keep the shirt the same to give it more differentiation, if that is supposed to be a jacket and shirt combo?

He was supposed to have an undershirt but I guess I effed it up a lot D:

I'm gonna fix it though, not a big deal

It does look like an undershirt, but I would recommend it be a different color to make it stand out more from the jacket... and one way to do so would be make the Jacket darker. :)

That Mage... Ummm... Can you show me the original image so I can see the tweaks? He has some proportional issues atm. His hood isn't matching his head.

It does look like an undershirt, but I would recommend it be a different color to make it stand out more from the jacket... and one way to do so would be make the Jacket darker. :)

That Mage... Ummm... Can you show me the original image so I can see the tweaks? He has some proportional issues atm. His hood isn't matching his head.

Well I don't really have it anymore.....it was just a quick splice I made for fun D: