Crit Stacking

Nyzaxia

Alright well here goes nothing.

After finally getting my laptop fixed I've finally decided to make an account for Serene's rather than lurking as I have been for like 3 years and this is my first post. I've played FE 6, 7, 8, and 13 and have never played competitively (for what that's worth, I don't know very much meta strategy etc.) and would like to change that.

So, I'll start a thread I've not yet seen anything about on SF. Crit stacking. Sounds fantastic. Why concern yourself with doubling enemies when you can do 3x damage without giving the opportunity for a retaliatory strike? The only problem I have with this is that I have no idea how I'd even go about achieving a 100% crit. Are crit builds even worth trying? What skills are the best skills for it? What characters (including the use of buddy/marriage seals and inheritance) are the best candidates for such a build? Obviously killer weapons are a given for physical units but what about the magic users?

Also; Ogre Strike. A Shura skill. Is Shura obtainable by anyone other than Rinkah and MU? Again, buddy/marriage seals and inheritance, but who does it work with?

Any ideas?

Awakening skill+Ogre Strike+Roundhouse+Single weapon classes.

Edited by Princess_Florina

First off, welcome to SF, good to have you here.

As for the topic, Buddy/Marraige Seals can allow Rinka to spread it to a fair degree. Also, parents who have buddied Rinka can pass Ogre to their kids, and some units should have Oni as a secondary class tree.

If youre looking for a Crit Build, look not further than Charlotte. You can start with a Killer Axe and getting her Ogre Strike (on Invisible Kingdom route, you can buddy her w/Rinka), and add whatever you want from there (Coplycat Puppet, Sol, and Luna come to mind).

Takumi is also a good contender, with High Skill and the Fuujin Bow, he can nab crits well enough without extra skills.

Awakening skill+Ogre Strike+Roundhouse+Single weapon classes.

I thought Awakening was Lucina only? Roundhouse, this may be a dumb question but don't you need to land a hit to land a crit? Wouldn't reducing your hit rate be somewhat counter productive? And yes, I've read that they can S-rank if they only have one weapon and that it comes with +5 Crit. Also, I like the Florina x Lyn haha

First off, welcome to SF, good to have you here.

As for the topic, Buddy/Marraige Seals can allow Rinka to spread it to a fair degree. Also, parents who have buddied Rinka can pass Ogre to their kids, and some units should have Oni as a secondary class tree.

If youre looking for a Crit Build, look not further than Charlotte. You can start with a Killer Axe and getting her Ogre Strike (on Invisible Kingdom route, you can buddy her w/Rinka), and add whatever you want from there (Coplycat Puppet, Sol, and Luna come to mind).

Takumi is also a good contender, with High Skill and the Fuujin Bow, he can nab crits well enough without extra skills.

Thanks man, I appreciate the welcome. Not too often I'm a noob anywhere anymore haha. Sweet. I was hoping that buddying still passed it down. So there can be quite a few characters with the ability to obtain Ogre Strike. I do like Charlotte, she was one i was kinda leaning towards actually. That wouldn't get her to 100% though would it? And is having 100% crit even necessary in a crit build? Takumi is an interesting choice. Marrying him to a wife that had buddy sealed with Rinkah wouldn't give it to him though right? Only to Kisaragi?

Edited by Nyzaxia

I thought Awakening was Lucina only? Roundhouse, this may be a dumb question but don't you need to land a hit to land a crit? Wouldn't reducing your hit rate be somewhat counter productive? And yes, I've read that they can S-rank if they only have one weapon and that it comes with +5 Crit. Also, I like the Florina x Lyn haha

Sweet. I was hoping that buddying still passed it down. So there can be quite a few characters with the ability to obtain Ogre Strike. I do like Charlotte, she was one i was kinda leaning towards actually. That wouldn't get her to 100% though would it? And is having 100% crit even necessary in a crit build? Takumi is an interesting choice. Marrying him to a wife that had buddy sealed with Rinkah wouldn't give it to him though right? Only to Kisaragi?

Already got 88% crit with Rinka with only Ogre Strike and a Great Club. Great Clubs forged will be like the Gutsy Bat in Earthbound!

Are you kidding me?! That's ridiculous. Is she maxed?

No.

It can simply be done even in no grind runs.

Do you actually use her? Is it a viable option in terms of strategy both in-game and post-game?

Yes.

No. Just in game.

they made Crit build hugely viable this iteration of FE

1. Luc = 0.5 Dodge. so it's much easier to stack up that critrate

2. Killer weapons and variants (Great Club) do 4x dmg

3. more crit skills

4. class mods come back (Trueblade 10% crit and most importantly, Berserker 20%)

so at cap, Skl and Luc are about even but due to the new formula (Crit = Skl/2 - 2), Skl is still a tiny bit behind. Great Club has 55 base crit. add Ogre Strike for 20% on player phase. ~-2% because Skl is lagging behing (ignoring pair up bonuses or stuff), that's 93% and 4x. granted, Great Club has 45 Hit. you either go Killer Axe bringing you to 63% crit (still great!) or get Raven Strike/Bind for (+40 Hit player/-20 Avoid respectively). get wrecked. Charlotte gets even better with her personal skill, +20 more crit against females

I'd say it's possible in-game as well since +20 Berserker + 25% Killer is 45% already. post-game is the only reasonable time you can stack all these skills using My Castle buying

as for counters...there's not much. there's Miracle (Lol), ranged (not against Sorcerer), trying to stack Dodge (Guard Stance and Pair Up but falls short of freakin 85%), or Avoid tank (especially Trueblade against Berserkers because triangle and Trueblade +10 Avoid mods)

Edited by GoXDS

Already got 88% crit with Rinka with only Ogre Strike and a Great Club. Great Clubs forged will be like the Gutsy Bat in Earthbound!

Given that you can only buy a finite number of Great Clubs... Good luck with that. Also, I'd consider them much closer to the Casey Bat (aka, awesome but impractical).

Edited by Levant Colthearts

Given that you can only buy a finite number of Great Clubs... Good luck with that. Also, I'd consider them much closer to the Casey Bat.

not that I really support being "forced" to buy DLC, do we know for sure what the Weapon DLC gives? everything except S?

they made Crit build hugely viable this iteration of FE

1. Luc = 0.5 Dodge. so it's much easier to stack up that critrate

2. Killer weapons and variants (Great Club) do 4x dmg

3. more crit skills

4. class mods come back (Trueblade 10% crit and most importantly, Berserker 20%)

so at cap, Skl and Luc are about even but due to the new formula (Crit = Skl/2 - 2), Skl is still a tiny bit behind. Great Club has 55 base crit. add Ogre Strike for 30% on player phase. ~-2% because Skl is lagging behing (ignoring pair up bonuses or stuff), that's 103% and 4x. granted, Great Club has 45 Hit. you either go Killer Axe bringing you to 73% crit (still great!) or get Raven Strike/Bind for (+40 Hit player/-20 Avoid respectively). get wrecked. Charlotte gets even better with her personal skill, +20 more crit against females

I'd say it's possible in-game as well since +20 Berserker + 25% Killer is 45% already. post-game is the only reasonable time you can stack all these skills using My Castle buying

as for counters...there's not much. there's Miracle (Lol), ranged (not against Sorcerer), trying to stack Dodge (Guard Stance and Pair Up but falls short of freakin 85%), or Avoid tank (especially Trueblade against Berserkers because triangle and Trueblade +10 Avoid mods)

Damn, and I thought I did my research. There was quite a bit of this I didn't know. Do you use this type of build at all?

Damn, and I thought I did my research. There was quite a bit of this I didn't know. Do you use this type of build at all?

I don't have the game ;D

just lots of forum browsing and trying to suppress my impatience

people have theorycrafted this build and others have encountered it in PvP

Why is that? It would seem you could take out any unit that way, what strategies negate that (aside from ranged attacks) or are simply superior?

Don't know if this part of your question was answered, but it's only really good in-game since your opponents in game don't have maxxed stats or skills for a competitive build, so they can pretty much get recked by just normal stuff. In competitive, more often than not, your opponents will be just as prepared as you are with capped stats and the like, so they'll be able to dip and dodge and what not~

If there's a potential Apotheosis 2.0, I'd imagine that they will also stack Dragonskin to all enemies, which nerfs crit damage to prevent you from one-shotting them (though I don't know the exact formula). Of course, having a crit build is still more useful than not, especially for units like Rinka or Charlotte etc.

Don't know if this part of your question was answered, but it's only really good in-game since your opponents in game don't have maxxed stats or skills for a competitive build, so they can pretty much get recked by just normal stuff. In competitive, more often than not, your opponents will be just as prepared as you are with capped stats and the like, so they'll be able to dip and dodge and what not~

however, as I pointed out, there't not much you can counter with. and it's only in PvP where you can stack all the +Crit/Hit skills on Charlotte (unless lots of early gold farming). the only sources of additional Dodge are Guard Stance 5%, Support bonuses, and some class mods. but that's still no where near ~93% from Charlotte. one concern people had in post-game was Charlotte with Rescue ferrying, making it nigh impossible to avoid confronting her on their turn (they will reach you). if any character goes for a crit build, they will have a reasonable crit% on you

sharp contrast to Awakening where the huge caps + Limit Break + support bonuses made crit build impractical because the numbers are single digit if even

Edited by GoXDS

however, as I pointed out, there't not much you can counter with. and it's only in PvP where you can stack all the +Crit/Hit skills on Charlotte (unless lots of early gold farming). the only sources of additional Dodge are Guard Stance 5%, Support bonuses, and some class mods. but that's still no where near ~103% from Charlotte. one concern people had in post-game was Charlotte with Rescue ferrying, making it nigh impossible to avoid confronting her on their turn (they will reach you). if any character goes for a crit build, they will have a reasonable crit% on you

sharp contrast to Awakening where the huge caps + Limit Break + support bonuses made crit build impractical because the numbers are single digit if even

Yes, I know. I just wanted to make sure the OP knew why it was more effective in-game than post-game, not saying it isn't viable in PvP.

Also if you need magic crits, I've heard Ophelia's a good choice if you want to try her.

Ophelia:

-Sorcerer, so Crit+10

-Blossoming Mind, so Crit+10 (+20)

-Roundhouse, so Crit+10 (+30)

-Ogre Strike, so Crit+20 (+50)

-Mjolnir/Excalibur, so Crit+25 (+75)

-Awakening, so Crit+30 (+105)

That's pretty high. I mean, the only way to do this without marrying the Avatar is to Buddy Charlotte to Rinka, learn Ogre Strike, then marry Charlotte to Odin. Still, it's better than any other magic characters can get naturally (and gives you blonde Ophelia, which is probably canon).

You could also make this into a physical Ophelia:

-Berserker, so Crit+20

-Blossoming Mind, so Crit+10 (+30)

-Roundhouse, so Crit+10 (+40)

-Ogre Strike, so Crit+20 (+60)

-Belka's Killer Axe, so Crit+30 (+90)

-Awakening, so Crit+30 (+120)

This forces you to carry three tomes, though, which mean you can only carry two axes. That could be annoying.

Edited by gayserbeam

I thought Awakening was Lucina only?

Not really. However, the class that can get it is one you can only have one of per file.

Edited by Levant Colthearts

Also if you need magic crits, I've heard Ophelia's a good choice if you want to try her.

She is in fact a good choice from what I've read and have a friend test.

10% from Personal, 10% from Sorcerer/Witch, 20% from Ogre Strike (player phase only), 25% from vanilla Mjolnir/Excalibur and 30% from Awakening (risky although not hard to achieve), so that's 95% base crit before factoring skill, pair-up bonuses on both sides and enemy luck.

A main appeal of this is the 1-2 range along having a respectable hit rate unlike vanilla Great Club (not hard to fix but still a factor to take in count) on top of having two skill slots available, Nohr and Hoshido (easy access due to being a 2nd Gen) are perfect for this with a properly seted up pair up partner.

I would have though Arthur/Harold would have been very good at getting crits due to unlucky soul. Is he actually any good at getting them?

Arthur is amazing at crits in PvP, but he turns people off in single player as his Berserker incarnate will have effectively 0 crit evade always.

Arthur has a 90% crit on most characters minimum unless they get pair up buffs and crit evade bonuses from weapons, classes, or skills.