What was the last book you read?

Icemario

Kinda surprised there isn't a thread like this.

Finished Thereby Hangs a Tail last night, it was pretty good albeit shorter than I expected. The predecessor I missed is apparently in the library now on reserve so that's good timing, gonna poach that later on.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read a lot right now I have been rereading books because I have not been to the book store in awhile. The last one I read was Dragon Flight in the Dragon Riders of Pern series and I am currently rereading Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters. What can I say? My taste in books is very wide I love fantasy, SiFi, mysteries and some of the classics. One winter I read the entire Hornblower series just to say I could and it was actually really good.

I'm reading The Silmarillion. It's sort of like a prequel to the Lord of the Rings, focusing on the Elven lore.

this

not really a prequel though; much more a separate work on the silmarils and elves and junk

Edited by Gaia

The Divine Comedy was pretty great, though the edition I had was really helpful because it was footnoted to hell and back explaining a lot of the cultural context around the story and some of the more antiquated grammar. I imagine it would have been a lot harder to enjoy without all of that.

Stephen Crane is a favorite writer of mine and I'm reading a collection of his "short works" now, although it includes all three of his novels.

Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan. Urrgh. Too many spoilers for me to really say anything about it...

I was a little disappointed by this book tbh.

I'm mainly into fantasy. Just started Republic of Thieves, which is the third book in the Gentlemen Bastards series by Scott Lynch. First book was awesome and the second book was mostly great except for the last 50 pages or so, which tried to wrap up too many loose ends too quickly IMO. Third book... we'll see. It marks the appearance of a character who was spoken about a lot in the first two books, which I'm excited for, but I've also heard that each book is a little worse than the one before, so we'll see?

Looking forward to Jim Butcher's new steampunk series; the first book is coming out in around a week. Heard some mixed things about it from the early readers but generally I love his books, so I think it'll still be up my alley.

Legend by Marie Lu. Good book besides the fact I have no bloody clue what LA looks like. I kinda like the one being a military officer and the other a criminal. Though one part of the book reminds me of Fullmetal Alchemist...

Last book I finished reading? Armada by Ernest Kline (hey, I actually kinda enjoyed Ready Player One) and it's got its roots in Ender's Game. Before that? Hear The Wind Sing/Pinball 1973 by Haruki Murakami which recently were translated to English. Excellent.

I'm currently working on A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara and Crime And Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

• 3 weeks later...

Sabriel by Garth Nix and Sigmund Ringeck's Knightly Art of the Longsword as translated by David Lindholm and Peter Svard. The former was rather enjoyable and the second was a great learning experience that will be reread multiple times.

Edited by Ambling Falchion

I last read Feed, and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I didn't really choose to read it though; I had to read it because I had to complete my Summer Reading for school.

Was this Feed sort of a love story which takes place in a future where people have ads wired into their brains or something? I think I read part of it and then lost it. I should get it and read the whole thing.