What was the last book you read?

Icemario

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare, actually pretty disappointing.

So I was told by the person who gave me the book its ending would make me really want to read the next one, but when I finished it, I felt literally nothing. It dawned on me that this was the case because I actually just wasn't attached to any of the characters. Its ending was such a mess imo, and now the more I reflect on what I read, the more I see I didn't like.

Probably still going to give the next book a chance, though.

Haha. Dedicated to finishing a series. I'm quite the same. The number of series I've read the first book in and consciously decided to abandon can probably be counted on one hand.

The last book I finished reading was The Hobbit, at the beginning of this year (February, I believe).

Recently, I started reading The Silmarillion, and I'm enjoying it, thus far. I really like the "Bible-like" approach to its narrative (at least in the beginning), especially considering how it deals with how the world was created and such.

• 2 weeks later...

Pride and Prejudice is overrated IMO. My favourite Austen book is Emma.

My favorite of Jane Austin is Persuasion, she wrote it when she was older and it is IMO much better then her other books. Do Manga count as books? because I just finished Read or Die which is a really good manga. The last book I read was Out Foxed by Rita Mae Brown, my favorite mystery writer.

I think the last new book I read, that wasn't specifically for class, was Aristotle for Everybody, a gift from a dear friend. The last thing-of-any-kind that I read, whether it was new to me or not, was probably my omnibus copy of the Black Jewels Trilogy. Though it might've been a not-terribly-great novel written, I dunno, 6 or 7 years ago about an alternate-history world where clones made for harvesting organs is considered perfectly okay (told from the perspective of a particular clone girl). I'm afraid I don't actually remember the title of that one though. The last thing new-to-me that I read and really enjoyed was probably Nathaniel Hawthorne's The House of the Seven Gables, which was a bit of a surprise, I'm not typically big on Gothic literature.

Edit:
Ah, the clone novel was Never Let Me Go, by Kazuo Ishiguro. It wasn't terrible, it just wasn't particularly memorable. The combination of a terrifically depressing premise and writing that just didn't "grab" me made it hard to recommend. As a book for class discussion it wasn't bad though.

Edited by amiabletemplar

I recently just got The Mayor of Casterbridge that I had ordered from my school in order to enter a Book Report Contest. I also ordered two more books , one being Wuthering Heights , which have yet to come.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If Graphic Novels count, it's the Kickass trilogy. I loved it a LOT, but the movies were slightly better in my opinion. The concept was great, but seeing them all come to life was even better than the comics.

I'm also starting Kirkman's Invincible series. I read volume 1 as I tried it out and the change of pace at the end made me buy up to volume 5 in a minute. I highly recommend it to anyone who is even remotely into superheroes.

Edited by BlindCoco

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working my way through the Shannara trilogy. I'm not the biggest fan of pure fantasy (preferred LotR movies to the books which is rare for me) but I'm doing it because I've fallen madly head over heels in love with Poppy Drayton.

Why couldn't I have been born rich and famous instead of good looking? Or both?

My next target is the Magicians trilogy which is more up my alley (a mature version of the Young Wizards series). I love series that deal with magic in a modern light and world and both series do so. If you haven't read So You Want To Be A Wizard, I suggest you do so.

Edited by John Barrowman