What was the last book you read?

Icemario

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still in the middle of Watership Down (well, not the middle-- I'm closer to the end than that)... I can't remember exactly what the last book I finished was because I think I was reading, like, three at once... and I know I abandoned a couple of re-reads of things just because priorities... got through a bunch of short stories, which were a mixed bag. And I read through as much of 'Small Sacrifices' as I could get online for free when I couldn't get to the library, because someone recommended it (to people who enjoy true crime, I should add-- it's not a lighthearted read).

Just finished "Operation Nemesis", a really interesting read about a group of assassins that essentially avenged their people by methodically taking out the Ottoman leadership at the time, who orchestrated the Armenian Genocide. It's also about the Genocide itself and the history of Kemalist Turkey and Soviet Armenia.

• 3 weeks later...

The short stories of Saki.

Although since it's a compilation of stuff that originally appeared in newspapers, I guess my last book would be something else.

In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson

Most of my "reading" lately has been listening to books on tape from Audible. I have to drive a lot for work, and it got boring listening to the same songs over and over. Plus whenever I try to read a book nowadays, my son tries to climb into my lap.

I'm currently listening to The Psychopath Whisperer by Kent A. Kiehl. It's been interesting so far, but I cringed when he said venous blood is blue.

Edited by Rezzy

• 2 weeks later...

Finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman a week or two back

The characters were awesome and the premise was great, but it was pretty boring at times and the ending was horribly anticlimactic

Would still recommend it though because Neil Gaiman is a really good writer

Edited by Pixelman

Most of my "reading" lately has been listening to books on tape from Audible. I have to drive a lot for work, and it got boring listening to the same songs over and over. Plus whenever I try to read a book nowadays, my son tries to climb into my lap.

I'm currently listening to The Psychopath Whisperer by Kent A. Kiehl. It's been interesting so far, but I cringed when he said venous blood is blue.

After finishing my book, I have to say I'd lower my overall impression a bit. 3/5 stars if I had to rate it on Audible.

There are very great parts to it. I love the vignettes and analysis of actual psychopaths. However, this is bogged down by lots of things that really shouldn't be in this book. He spends entire chapters talking about his career. Sorry to be mean, but I didn't get this book to listen to your autobiography. Little lines about moving from city to city or whatnot would be okay, but don't tell me about how your talking with sales reps about buying your MRI machine.

He also spends far too much time talking about the technical aspects of MRI. You can give the basics, but you went into too much detail here. I'm in the medical field and already know this. For a layperson, it's probably going to go over their head, and if they want to learn more, they can read up on it elsewhere.

Final Score: 3/5 wanted to read about psychology, not your ego stroking autobiography and MRI manual.

• 2 weeks later...

Around 3 of asimov's short story collections at the same time, reading a short story from one, and then from the other, ect. The best of them was "nightfall", which is exelent, (and much better than the novel, fyi).

Edited by sirmola

Just finished "Operation Nemesis", a really interesting read about a group of assassins that essentially avenged their people by methodically taking out the Ottoman leadership at the time, who orchestrated the Armenian Genocide. It's also about the Genocide itself and the history of Kemalist Turkey and Soviet Armenia.

I just read this based on your description, and it was quite good, but really dark. I found it disturbing how turkey has spent the last century trying to cover up the genocide.

Edited by sirmola

I just read this based on your description, and it was quite good, but really dark. I found it disturbing how turkey has spent the last century trying to cover up the genocide.

History can be downright terrifying sometimes. But it's true, the Turks did try to hide it, even though undisputed evidence was found. That sounds like an interesting book!

Edited by Blue Druid

Last book I "read" was The Book of Basketball lol. I mostly don't have time to just sit and read anymore so i opt for loads and loads of audiobooks instead. Sure it's not the same, but I didn't have to figure out the pronunciation of everything in The Wheel of Time

I don't read much, but my friend gave me Euphoria by Lily King and its been interesting so far. Its about Anthropologists in the 1930s so I like that.

highly HIGHLY recommend the immortal life of henrietta lacks by rebecca skloot. even better if you know about the significance of the HeLa cell line.

We had that assigned to us my Freshman year of college. The parts about the person and her family were interesting, but the way she handled the more technical and scientific portions of the book were hard for me to get though.