Looking for a reliable way to save Jaffar on BBD (HHM). Need help with enemy AI / status staves.

feplus

Here's a map for reference. I've been trying to devise a way to save Jaffar without RNG abuse or glitches. I did come up with and confirm one solution:

Kill the leftmost figher (LFighter) and mage with long-range magic; kill Maxime with long-range magic; berserk the fighter closest Maxime (RFighter).

(You can also kill the mage with 2-range offense.)

The whole problem with this BBD scenario is that the fighter next to Maxime isn't aggressive. He doesn't charge towards blue / neutral units. If he did, then Jaffar would head north rather than east, since he prioritizes this fighter over the eastern fighter.

Berserking is the only way I can figure out that "switches on" RFighter's aggro. The mage is in range, so he needs to be killed off. LFighter goes first, but will aggro RFighter north if alive. RFighter approaches Maxime if Maxime lives (putting him outside Jaffar's attack range), so Maxime needs to be killed as well. This isn't reliable, since it would require a very strong Erk/Lucius and a very accurate Canas.

So this solution works but is inadequate.

1. Is there a reliable way to kill Maxime on player phase turn one (could it be done on 0% growths with supports / stat-boosters)?

2. Is there a means beyond berserk to "switch on" enemy aggro?

3. Is there a way to send RFighter south without killing Maxime?

4. Is there a way to attract Jaffar north without putting RFighter in range?

If any of these questions can be answered "yes," then we have a reliable Jaffar save. Those of you more familiar with GBA enemy AI and behavior, please share your thoughts. Is there a missing piece to solve this puzzle, and if so, what is it?

Then no, there is no way to switch AI other than berserk staff or going into the rom and changing it. As for killing Maxime on T1 reliably, there's no way of killing him other than long range magic(since you don't have a warp staff yet). Which probably means using Pent, but IIRC he still does 10 damage per shot of bolting. So I don't see that working.

Theoretically, on PP1, you could use the Unlock staff to get Rescue, send it to convoy, and get your other staffer to take it and Rescue Jaffar, but it would depend on their range. I don't have time to confirm right now, but I think Lucius and Pent could pull it off.

What about having someone beeline for the rescue staff? does that reduce the risk to jafar any or is it way too far out of the way?

Alternatively, would you be able to get someone close enough to use physic on jafar?

It's impossible to get to Rescue within the timeframe TC mentioned. However, if Jaffar doesn't move too much from his starting position (or moves north), there's a slight chance that a really screwed-up rescue chain, along with a promoted Priscilla with maxed magic and Boots, might reach him in time with Physic. It'll also take care of the problem with the northern fighter and mage, as she should be in range to aggro both of them. If Jaffar moves directly east, then a maxed-magic Erk/Pent should be able to hit him with Physic, as long as he hugs the northern wall next to Zephiel's enclosure. . .assuming I counted my squares correctly.

Either way, it'll require rigging, whether it's Priscilla/Erk/Pent's growths or the RNG on BBD.

Well, I tried every approach I could think of, but eclipse is right: reducing Jaffar's odds of death to zero percent requires rigging.

You either need a caster with 26 magic and B-staves, or you need to hope a slew of long-range tomes (including Eclipse) connect against Maxime.

Unfortunately the boots are acquired during BBD, otherwise there would be a couple ways to reliably save Jaffar. His odds of death are low anyway, but the fact that I can't come up with a guaranteed approach annoys me. Oh well.