What is it that you dislike about Fire Emblem?

IfAwakened

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest pet peeve is when there's technically two different enemy factions that are allies in programming simply because there's only 3 different unit types.

I really wish they introduced an orange unit classification to fix this. Blue is your units, green is NPC that is neutral/allied with you, red is enemy, and orange is everybody's enemy.

not enough pants

Quite the contrary, recent titles have to many pants.

In ye olde days, people didn't need extra elaborate designs to kick ass, (And that's why FE5 is the best FE).

At least it isn't FFX yet

What I really dislike about the series, though...

I may be one of the few that is really happy weapons use is gone (main reason why Gaiden is the best FE).

It was OK as long as we didn't have map, but in FE8, it's just a damn core to burn all your money for Valnii or Ruins training.

I like FE8, but does anyone actually enjoy this ? I find it hard to believe.

That may have been one of the best news about fates for me.

Slight nitpick : the lack of variety in Lord, who are nearly all sword-locked (and if they aren't, then another one will be. I know it's tradition, but I want my Staff Bow Lord.)

More specific : the absence of good Lance users in FE5. Xavier havind E in Lances is NOT acceptable, especially after all the pain we had to recruit him.

That is linked to the problem with dismounting. It's not a bad thing in itself, it's even an interresting idea, but it was never implemented correctly. Having 90% of the mounted class unable to use their main weapons and being sword-locked (swords that they can't use when mounted, which is damn stupid), makes many units useless in the final chapters. (that kinda works with the fatigue system,and varryng your team, but this is still bad balance).

I'd rather had keeps their Lances/Axes, and lose 5Skl/5Spd.

I love that game, but this is really bugging me. (It had other issues, like infinite status range being ione of the reason I hate effing Elf that damn much, but it's the first thing that comes to mind.)

About the future of the serie... I just hope they can choose what they really wants to do with the serie, because trying to pander to completely different crowds is just gonna makes everyone flees in the end, and doesn't help making the fanbase any better

I'm somewhat between the two extreme myself, and old fan (FE7), but who will never calls himself "veteran", have low tolerance to frustraton, and prefer playing on Casual. And there were many time when I felt at odd with most of the fanbase because of it.

In ye olde days, people didn't need extra elaborate designs to kick ass, (And that's why FE5 is the best FE).

But FE5 had the most pants

in a more serious note on design, I feel there's no clear superiority between simple nor elaborate, both have their merits and downfalls. This isn't the topic to go into detail about design philosophy--and I can go in quite a bit of detail, but tl;dr I don't really mind it going either way as long as it's well-designed.

What matters more is that the designs should fit with it's own themes, and with the overall design feel of its own respective game, in a coherent manner. There's a lot of designs that are great, but there are also a lot that has very questionable design decisions. I'm not saying FE is the only game that has questionable design decisions because honestly a lot of games has worse, but I also actually care about FE compared to most other games, so.

Edited by Thor Odinson

FE5 is the least fanservicey game in the series, if you ask me.

And yet one of my favorite characters from that game has some fanservice in her

Edit: I don't like how high the critical damage multiplier is in the games. 3x damage (or 2x attack in the case of FE4 and FE5) is rather excessive, especially if it's used against your units.

Edited by BLS

I finished FE6 so I've got more stuff to complain about.

I hate enemy crits because 3x damage is only fair when I do it. I really wish there were less crit happy enemies in the end of FE6.

FE6 enemy Manakete's are doubled by pretty much everything and I wish they had a 2 range stone with weaker bonuses to use.

Actually after you enter the dragon sanctuary the game just lost all challenge, it was just send my hyper tank Allen in with a sacred weapon and one round all the dragons.

I just started FE5 and so far the only thing I can complain about is the horrible translation patch.

The difficulty modes. The games that had the best difficulty modes were FE11 and FE12, they all have the right difficulty relative to the skill of the FE player and one doesn't leave it thinking it was too easy or too hard. FE13 (and FE14, from what I saw) has a jump of difficulty from Hard to Lunatic that is the difference between "Ok, send Frederick and solo the game" and "Even Frederick is afraid!". Others don't change much from difficulty to difficulty, like FE8 and FE9, so it hardly makes a difference.

Also the huge amount of fanservice. It's ridiculous and tones down the "mood" of the series, which should be serious.

I wouldn't wish for that orange unit thing to be introduced, I like things being kept simple in FE.

@zerosabers: y'know, that's precisely two chapters, one of which isn't worth counting as a chapter anyway. I don't see how FE6 deserves negative mention for that, aside from perhaps C24 being a bit anti-climactic in non-efficient play (it doesn't even feel that way to me). I agree on crit-happy enemies (there being none would be best, really, especially in a game without map saves), but they aren't all that prevalent in FE6 lategame either, and there usually are reliable ways to face them too.

As for what I dislike:

- RD's gameplay. Part 1 is fine, Part 2 is pretty uninteresting and Part 3 + 4 largely consist of EP juggernaut stomps (I didn't even field non-Ike/Haar/Titania units in part 3 lategame), all those 3 min+ enemy phases are extremely tedious to watch. If an FE9 EP takes 5 minutes, then at least most (80-90%) enemies on the map are dead afterwards, whereas in FE10 you have to face multiple long EPs each map (dishonorable mention to needless reinforcements lengthening things aswell). 4-E-4 and 4-E-5 also contain some supreme bullshit, what with the spirits next to Sephiran absorbing lethal hits for him regardless of Nihil/Parity and Ashera attacking at long range with her 65 Atk magic bullcrap (ORKOes even some bulky units like transformed Gareth with less than a full pure water boost, when he'd be pretty handy for blood tide against Auras). 3-11 has those invisible pitfalls again, except on much more important tiles, fake difficulty/10. That's only some examples. I don't see where the praise it tends to get (on SF mainly) comes from.

- Fanservice contrary to FE's typical style. No need to repeat the others, I guess.

- Skills. They are needlessly rage-inducing on enemies and either superfluous or too good on player units. I'm not too interested in minmaxing them either.

- Children. I can't be assed to go out of my way for an S support, much less am I interested in finding out good gen1 pairings. Plus some of the kids are broken, so playing without them usually is more fun to me.

- Hard modes that have to be unlocked by playing through normal. How did IS get the idea that doing EHM/HHM or FE10 HM blindly is too unfeasible for experienced players? FE6 HM is debatable I guess, but I wouldn't say it needs to be locked for first playthroughs. I don't mind FE12 H4 and FE13 L+ being unlockable, since they basically are bonus rewards for getting through Lunatic and are hard enough to warrant locking them away before Lunatic is done.

Edited by Gradivus.

About supports and marriage I realised something. We won't have thing Like Nino x Canas/Legault/Merlinus.
And that makes me really sad, because they were really sweet.

Or Dozla x Myrrh, to that respect.

But FE5 had the most pants

in a more serious note on design, I feel there's no clear superiority between simple nor elaborate, both have their merits and downfalls. This isn't the topic to go into detail about design philosophy--and I can go in quite a bit of detail, but tl;dr I don't really mind it going either way as long as it's well-designed.

What matters more is that the designs should fit with it's own themes, and with the overall design feel of its own respective game, in a coherent manner. There's a lot of designs that are great, but there are also a lot that has very questionable design decisions. I'm not saying FE is the only game that has questionable design decisions because honestly a lot of games has worse, but I also actually care about FE compared to most other games, so.

I somehow ended up confusing "pants" and "elaborate designs"/....

I was saying FE5's simple designs was pretty good. And the fact girls have pants is a point on its favor, I think.

Otherwise I completely agree with everything you says.

The character designs put me compeltely out of FFX, because there was no way I could takes them seriously...

@zerosabers: y'know, that's precisely two chapters, one of which isn't worth counting as a chapter anyway. I don't see how FE6 deserves negative mention for that, aside from C24 being slightly anti-climactic in non-efficient play. I agree on crit-happy enemies (there being none would be best, really, especially in a game without map saves), but they aren't all that prevalent in FE6 lategame either, and there usually are reliable ways to face them too.

It was more just really lame after the game said the dragons are stronger in the sanctuary only to be pretty much the same as the ones outside.

I might be remembering more killer weapon enemies than there actually were since they were the only ones to really cause me any problems since they always crit me.

- The armor design in the 3DS games. The current art director should be replaced with the one who worked during the GBA era and Tellius era.

- The excessive amount of fan-service.

- THE CHILDREN. Especially in Fates. They have absolutely no reason to exist, story-wise. The time-chamber thing is also really dumb.

That's all I can thing of for now. Also, I notice that all the problems I listed come from the newer games...

get better at the game

i don't like living legend because routing a map with a pair of bulky warrior bosses and a bunch of physical enemies is kind of dumb, but arcadia is a great map.

Edited by dondon151

get better at the game

i don't like living legend because routing a map with a pair of bulky warrior bosses and a bunch of physical enemies is kind of dumb, but arcadia is a great map.

I believe you are the only person I've seen who likes FE6 Chapter 14.

Avatar and marriage. The fancervice and the new types of pandering Fates is exploring, like the pedophilia.

Also, I don't like how IS constantly goes up and down on balance. I don't like armor knights design on Awakening. I don't like OP prepomotes. I don't like the little part of luck based the games still have.

Stagnation. From the broad narrative strokes of 'evil country invades good country, save good country' to the earlygame archer always being a slow starter, I feel the series relies too much on its tropes. I'm avoiding spoilers for Fates but I'm hopeful the Nohr campaign can shake things up a bit.

Not really gonna comment on the whole fanservice thing because 1. it's been mentioned ad nauseam and 2. it's the part of the series I care about the least either way.

I don't like it when FE games focus too much on a strong EP. I like a balance where a good PP ensures a smooth EP. None of this "throw my Paladin into the enemy force with nothing but a bunch of javelins" business, though I have to admit watching my powerhouses become essential one man armies is still fun.

>tfw no playable Soldiers outside Tellius

Archers being terrible. I mean, pre-promoted Snipers aren't bad and mounted bows too, but why make a class with no EP worse than others?

It's funny how Robin ended up the one I disliked the least out of the three MUs. Kris and Kamui actually make Robin look good in comparison.

Aside from that, I wasn't a fan of the GBA support system, although I'm not necessarily a fan of S supports. I also dislike the way difficulty levels are handled in modern Fire Emblem, at least in Awakening and Fates.