About same-sex marriage function...

NAMECRISIS

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's too early to tell. Hopefully Nintendo were merely testing the waters in this game and it'll be more widely available in the next games.

Or as you said, it could be a one-off, like 3rd tier promotions in Gaiden and Radiant Dawn.

There has definitely been more positive reactions to it than negative ones. Hopefully it's expanded upon in future iterations, and perhaps in those games the only same-sex options won't be an insane stalker and sadistic sexual deviant that completely lock you out of unique characters when you marry them.

Edited by gayserbeam

I don't know how well it was received in Japan since they don't accept it I think one male, one female is good if they continue with it or it'll be a one-off for fates.

I imagine Japan's fine with it, but for different reasons (read: yaoi/yuri fanbase) than the west. Particularly considering the characters involved, and Eponine being a yaoi fangirl seems to be a specific nod to it.

​

​But yeah, I surmise it'll be returning so long as marriage itself does (which seems like a series staple now). Ideally in a better form.

There has definitely been more positive reactions to it than negative ones. Hopefully it's expanded upon in future iterations, and perhaps in those games the only same-sex options won't be an insane stalker and sadistic sexual deviant that completely lock you out of unique characters when you marry them.

I agree so hard with the Tharja 2.0 and sadistic, sexual deviant statement. I was kind of pumped for this, but then I felt like I just got slapped in the face when we had those as an option. I wonder why they chose those two out of all the characters...

I agree so hard with the Tharja 2.0 and sadistic, sexual deviant statement. I was kind of pumped for this, but then I felt like I just got slapped in the face when we had those as an option. I wonder why they chose those two out of all the characters...

It's as if they were trying to include homosexuality without acknowledging homosexuals. Zero wants to marry you because he's a weird pervert with no boundaries, and Syalla wants to marry you because she's insane and convinced you are lovers reincarnated. It's not homosexuality, it's perversion.

I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. I'm glad they did something. But what they did was pretty awful.

Yet, it was a big enough deal that NoA talked about it before the game was released in Japan. If the feature gets enough press, I'm certain it will return in a future installment. Hopefully with writers who are willing to acknowledge that homosexuality exists outside of mental illness and kink.

Trust me, it'll stick around. Every single future game will have gay characters now. If they don't, people will whine and complain "NINTENDO WHY U SO HOMOPHOBE?!"

it took nintendo longer than the united states of america to legalize gay marriage tho, i don't think we can rely on them to succumb to that kind of pressure

i also think it's going to stick around, but not because of this

it took nintendo longer than the united states of america to legalize gay marriage tho, i don't think we can rely on them to succumb to that kind of pressure

i also think it's going to stick around, but not because of this

I'm remembering Tomodachi Life and that huge mess. Eeeeeeeveryone was screaming and yelling at Nintendo. So I just feel that, now that it's been introduced, every single game will now have gay characters, otherwise there will be complaints out the wazoo.

It doesn't give any children so i think it's kinda useless to let this option ( like it is ) in the next games.

Who cares about the children?It's more important that they included same-sex marrige than they included children.

Edited by ShadowShine

Something tells me that it will be an option for games to come, as long as marriage is in there.

Yes it will. The fact its there is garnering a lot of positive marketing for the game in general. Plus, many wanted it. I do feel like that there will be more options in later installments. Hell, if they nixed children altogether, but kept marriage, it would be pretty nice.

sorry but NO I want children than that.

*deep long sigh*

Who cares about the children?It's more important that they included same-sex marrige than they included children.

It is. If we are going to have to deal with the MU character, at least we can have the option to marry a character that isnt super heteronormative. I plan on S supporting Zero in a run, tbh. Im a bit bummed that Shara is the feMU option because shes second gen and i just dont S support second gen characters. I was really rooting for Aqua to be that option. Oh well.

sorry but NO I want children than that.

eats00g.gif

I believe I read that they were going to use Azura and Silas?

Call me overly optimistic, but yeah even if the characters that were chosen weren't exactly ideal, the fact that same-sex marriage is an option is a step in the right direction (even if that step is small).

You won't know the results/feedback on something unless you put it out. Have an idea, apply it, see what you did wrong and what you did right, and make improvements to the idea. I'm sure the amount of noise that people have made about this have sparked up at least something in the developers/writers so they can make changes for future reference.

It would also be really nice if they made children for the same-sex couples and the paralogues for those children would go along the lines of the couple actually adopting them by the end of it or something.

But other than that, I'd rather the developers added more options to reach out to a wider audience because, why do children characters have to be factors in that decision? Personally, I wouldn't mind if there aren't any children characters in the next game if there are more options for same-sex marriage for people to choose from. You can choose to recruit the children if you want, but people don't choose to be of a certain sexual orientation that they identify as (it's something that they've discovered about themselves) so it's only right to make those options available to them since they can feel more included when playing the game.

Edited by carefreejules

I just hope that they will make a new Fire Emblem game with no children/second generation in the future. Keep marriage by all means, because Fire Emblem is about team bonding and overcoming impossible odds.

If I were in charge of a new FE, I would have it so two units that get married combine and improve their max stat modifiers, improve growth rates, get more classes etc. This still would encourage pairing units together despite no children. That way there wouldn't be the need to bench first generation units since the children always outshine the parents. -_-

That way same-sex marriage wouldn't be disadvantageous (from a gameplay perspective).

Edited by Leif

It would also be really nice if they made children for the same-sex couples and the paralogues for those children would go along the lines of the couple actually adopting them by the end of it or something.

Exactly!

There could be some alternate support about how a child feels to be adopted, if they love them despite being the product of a same sex couple... they could have made it interesting!

as long as we can actually have some straight gay's instead of sexual deviant's as our options.

you know, like the type of people that are gay, but you wouldn't think they would be from their looks or actions.

once again, Arcade Gannon from new vegas, his sexuality is a small part of his much bigger character, but he's just a well done character in general, thats what i want to see more of.

Edited by HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

Facepalm and sigh that's an opinion children and other mechanics should prioritise over it.

So a custom, really unneeded mechanic that is basically just put in due to fanservice should prioritize over marriage?

The only games where children were relevant are two games: Geneology and Awakening. Marriage has been technically in since the first game, even if its just in passing in endings, and its a part of supports.

Children have had their time to shine in a game already. Let same sex marriage take priority for once. Then after that we can maybe think about putting children in, and not as just adoption for an ending.