About same-sex marriage function...

NAMECRISIS

Idk, I really am glad they included it but, SERIOUSLY, how hard was it to include children.

I'll do one run-through marrying Zero because how can I NOT. But overall my main file won't have it, because I really want the children. Kanna is too cute. Which will obviously lead me to having my character and Zero always be paired up, despite the fact they won't technically be S support because yeah.

I mean, if the next game forgoes the whole children thing, then even better. But if they don't, then my main complaint (more than lack of options) is not getting the kids, which really bummed me out. But yeah, if marriage is still included in the same capacity, then I'm assuming same-sex marriage will continue to be included. I'm assuming next time they might give two options instead of one, but that might be getting ahead of myself.

Edited by Sunsurge

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So a custom, really unneeded mechanic that is basically just put in due to fanservice should prioritize over marriage?

The only games where children were relevant are two games: Geneology and Awakening. Marriage has been technically in since the first game, even if its just in passing in endings, and its a part of supports.

Children have had their time to shine in a game already. Let same sex marriage take priority for once. Then after that we can maybe think about putting children in, and not as just adoption for an ending.

not really children feels more like a staple now I don't think same sex will be a main focus at all it'll be very minimal and made more apparent for like 1-2 male and female characters.

I don't think this is about what should be taken out in replacement for the next game but by making the best of both worlds. Why give up one when you can have a little bit of both? I think it'll make both parties feel satisfied either way.

But I'd have to argue that the inclusion of children characters does not feel like a staple/main focus at least in Fates imo. In Awakening, at least the children had an interesting reason to why they were there which made me actually care about them, being from a ruined future where their parents had died so they ventured to the 'peaceful timeline' to help make sure their ruined future doesn't happen. I personally didn't find the set up for children that interesting in Fates in comparison. But, that's an argument left for another day.

Edited by carefreejules

not really children feels more like a staple now I don't think same sex will be a main focus at all it'll be very minimal and made more apparent for like 1-2 male and female characters.

It'll be fanservice. Geneology had a reason. Awakening had a reason. Fates included it just because of Awakening.

I mean it'd be more fair to give same sex their own PLAYABLE- PLAYABLE kids. It shouldn't be that hard to!

It'll be fanservice. Geneology had a reason. Awakening had a reason. Fates included it just because of Awakening.

I mean it'd be more fair to give same sex their own PLAYABLE- PLAYABLE kids. It shouldn't be that hard to!

we'll see when the next game comes out but I wouldn't hold my breath. Edited by SapphireFalconWing

I can't exactly follow the "same-sex marriage vs children" premise in this case. I mean, it's not like the justifications for the biological children make any sense in the first place. So if you are already willing to basically wave a magic wand to allow the kids to pop into existence, you might as well extend the courtesy to couples of the same gender.

Besides, the justifications that would allow any couple to get children would not only avoid the need for nonsensical handwaves, but would actually fit in perfectly into a war setting and leave a lot of room for a decent character backgrounds. It would also allow the parents and their kids to actually develop a relationship during their supports, instead of having everything happen offscreen.

Edited by BrightBow

I just hope that they will make a new Fire Emblem game with no children/second generation in the future. Keep marriage by all means, because Fire Emblem is about team bonding and overcoming impossible odds.

If I were in charge of a new FE, I would have it so two units that get married combine and improve their max stat modifiers, improve growth rates, get more classes etc. This still would encourage pairing units together despite no children. That way there wouldn't be the need to bench first generation units since the children always outshine the parents. -_-

That way same-sex marriage wouldn't be disadvantageous (from a gameplay perspective).

Interesting ideas. I definitely think there are creative options for bonding characters that don't require a 2nd generation.

Honestly, I'd prefer if children were cut and actual "marriage" between units was kept to the epilogue.

This guy gets it. No more instant marriages please. It's almost as bad as easy-bake-oven children. I don't mind gay characters in the game, however.

Hum yes it makes sense.

In fates they're shoving babies into the hyperbolic time chamber so they can grow up and fight in the war.

I think having two gay people have a kid makes the same amount of sense.

Edited by zerosabers

Hum yes it makes sense.

Funnily enough, even ignoring how contrived the explanation that they are using is, it still doesn't make sense. At least not unless Fates has a 9+ month timeskip between every single chapter.

But that's not actually what I was saying. I think you haven't paid attention to the context of that line which you quoted. Or maybe you just don't know which explanation Fates uses. Obviously, few things are literally impossible in an universe with magic and gods.

What I was saying is that if the level of ridiculousness that Fates used in order to justify the existence of the children is acceptable, then they could also come up with some equally dumb reason to allow for the existence of same-sex couples with kids to which they are biologically related.

Of course, personally I would be in favor of adoption. That would offer all kinds of benefits and would require no such contrivances whatsoever.

Edited by BrightBow

once again, Arcade Gannon from new vegas, his sexuality is a small part of his much bigger character, but he's just a well done character in general, thats what i want to see more of.

This.

I'd rather have gay relationships, but done well. I don't think it's needed more so than wanted, just like the future kids and marriage. Right now, not even straight romances are good in Fates sometimes. So I can wait.

They kinda dug their own grave with this one. Three's a crowd.

Btw if you marry Zero and Tharja 2.0, do you still get Kanna? Or is that another plot hole just added for fan service.

In fates they're shoving babies into the hyperbolic time chamber so they can grow up and fight in the war.

I think having two gay people have a kid makes the same amount of sense.

And how so ?

A kid with the same hair color, growth rates, stats, reclassement etc ? Lucky. And what's gonna happen to the biological parents ? They died ? Lucky.

The principe of relativity exists, but gay parents having biological children don't.

And how so ?

A kid with the same hair color, growth rates, stats, reclassement etc ? Lucky. And what's gonna happen to the biological parents ? They died ? Lucky.

The principe of relativity exists, but gay parents having biological children don't.

Seriously? What do growth rates, stats and reclassement have to do with biological parents?

At the very least you could argue with nurture vs. nature.

But actually, this is a videogame none of these things has anything to do with biology.

And if a gay couple with high strength and low agility adopting a child that also shows high strength and low agility is what destroys your suspension of disbelief in a world of shapeshifters, magic and hyperbolic time chambers, I have no idea what to say.

And if a gay couple with high strength and low agility adopting a child that also shows high strength and low agility is what destroys your suspension of disbelief in a world of shapeshifters, magic and hyperbolic time chambers, I have no idea what to say.

The game's stupid enough, I'd rather they leave this route.

Seriously? What do growth rates, stats and reclassement have to do with biological parents?

At the very least you could argue with nurture vs. nature.

But actually, this is a videogame none of these things has anything to do with biology.

at a minimum, the children should not be the same as what they would've had in a heterosexual relationship. especially Kanna. you cannot tell me they can find a child that can transform into dragons considering the lore of Fates

This.

I'd rather have gay relationships, but done well. I don't think it's needed more so than wanted, just like the future kids and marriage. Right now, not even straight romances are good in Fates sometimes. So I can wait.

They kinda dug their own grave with this one. Three's a crowd.

Btw if you marry Zero and Tharja 2.0, do you still get Kanna? Or is that another plot hole just added for fan service.

Nope.No Kanna if you marry them.That kinda bums me out because Kanna's adorable as hell.

Honestly, I'd prefer if children were cut and actual "marriage" between units was kept to the epilogue.

Yes.I miss this so much you don't even know.I feel like it was more romantic that way.

And how so ?

Not much more lucky then a child always looking the except same way except for hair color despite only one parents being set in stone, I would say.

Honestly, it's not like the decision of the player affecting events that would have happened previously to the decision itself, is a new concept. That's even how Awakening's kids worked. The player makes the decision about their father after they have arrived, you just haven't meet them yet. Heck, even after you see them, you can still swap the skills of their parents around and it will magically affect the skills that the kids have avaible. You can even train the parents some more to raise the stats of the kids because apparently you can improve your genes by training, somehow.

And except for hair color, those are all just game mechanics. They mean absolutely nothing. Like, take Lucina. Her stats as a playable unit are different from her initial stats as an enemy/NPC appearances, despite never getting a level, simply because her mother is not set in stone yet. The reason that the game takes stats from the parents to determine the stats of the children, is so that the player has something that they can control, not because of genetics.

And loosing your parents is hardly "lucky". It's war. War has the habit of orphaning children.

Your average Fire Emblem game has tons of young people were both parents are dead. Like, take PoR. From the drop of my head, I recall Ike, Mist, Elincia, Rolf, Oscar, Boyd, Sothe, Jill, Soren, Tormod and Sanaki. Leanne and Reyson might as well count. You add RD, and right off the bat you can add most members of the Dawn Brigade.

Edited by BrightBow

And loosing your parents is hardly "lucky". It's war. War has the habit of orphaning children.

Your average Fire Emblem game has tons of young people were both parents are dead. Like, take PoR. From the drop of my head, I recall Ike, Mist, Elincia, Rolf, Oscar, Boyd, Sothe, Jill, Soren, Tormod and Sanaki. Leanne and Reyson might as well count. You add RD, and right off the bat you can add most members of the Dawn Brigade.

Not to mention the countless orphans from the Genealogy series. They are all being hunted down to be killed for Julius' loptyr bloodlust. In multiple maps, you have to rescue them from your captors. Not to mention most of the second generation are orphans too.

And how so ?

Imposible now but there are sientist who believe that it will be possible in the future, there are researh and theorie on how this could be done.

Imposible now but there are sientist who believe that it will be possible in the future, there are researh and theorie on how this could be done.

even then, it'd require technology that FE's typical worlds can never have