Is there anything you regret doing / not doing in High School?

Carter

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I regret taking foreign language every year because the classes moved so slow and I was able to study at a better pace in college, which was required anyway. It would have freed me up to do something else, like art or computers. And I hardly remember any of the Spanish/French I learned anyway.

I regret not taking up my acting teacher's plea for me to join the Speech Team. That was probably the thing that broke me away from acting the most, and acting was always something I super loved, but I thought the Speech Team just, like, did speeches so I stayed away from it.

I regret getting transferred to a different school for my last two years.

I regret being really oblivious to the fact that at least 2 guys that I had crushes on were also interested in me, too. They were both really great guys and either would have made for a good high school boyfriend, but I was kind of stuck in this trap of not thinking that guys could actually be interested in me so I blinded myself to signs that only became clear several years later.

I regret letting myself be affected by sexism-related bullying in my math/science classes (which were all advanced and primarily filled with guys) that kept me away from taking more classes in that line and instead purposefully dumbing myself down and getting out of them as soon as possible.

I can't really say much because I'm going to my second year of high school but I regret not joining any clubs, not really socializing and not studying hard enough because I rhink most of the things we learned are useless to what I want to do. It might be useless but I need high grades so I need to concentrate.

Another thing I regret was that I didn't change classes when I could early in the school year most of my classmates were annoying idiots that made it hard for me to concentrate in class, made it hard for me to listen to the teachers and a couple got the physics/chemistry and biology (aka the hardest shits ever) teachers pissed off and stoped given extra materials to helps us out and I had to go by the shity school books to study.

• 3 weeks later...

I regret the computer programming classes I took, since they never taight any actual programming. On my first and second years, they taught photoshop! Photoshop. Despite the class being called Java Programming.

I regret not keeping in touch with my high school friends. I got the Skype of one of them, but he hardly ever replied.

...and a bunch of things that worsened my emotional issues.

on my first week I was rescued from bullies by this kid with the same name as me, so we became friends and starting hanging out

I picked up pretty fast that he was a troubled kid but it wasn't until later that I learned he was raised in a meth lab and was basically used as labour by the local biker gangs to pay off his mum's debts. my mum decided to adopt him into our house to get him out of there.

over the next couple of years we started skipping a lot of school until finally we didn't go at all. we got up to a bunch of shit and took a lot of bad stuff but mostly we stayed on the right side of 'too far'. both he and I began to reach a critical point in our mental health (we're both schizophrenic! funny coincidence hahaha) and maybe we crossed that line a couple of times.

towards the end of graduation year, the school finally contacted my mum and we were pretty much grounded permanently until she decided to move town. we both stayed behind and found separate places, but stayed in touch

I'm not really saying I regret being there for him, or having those experiences I had. I learned things on the street that have definitely made me a better person, and I made connections that helped me in later crises

but it would be nice to have an education. I've self-taught myself most of everything I would have learned, but I'm missing some key things and I don't have a lot of the social skills I need to make it in the adult world

EDIT: oh we start high school at like 13 in queensland btw

Edited by Myke

Not having a girlfriend in highschool is one of my greatest griefs. Other than that, I wish I kept playing violin instead of quitting to focus on studying useless stuff that has no use in the next years of my life. Nobody told me.

The first part is not a big deal, although they help you avoid red flags in future relationships. The second part sucks, but hey, unlike languages you can learn instruments to a good degree on your own after only being shown the basics by another.

Me, I regret a lot in high school. Most of all I regret not studying like a madman and rushing through it, moving towards one career in a straight arrow. I regret not doing a sport, and I also regret doing art instead of something more useful like autobody. Oh, and I guess I regret not keeping my high school memories intact for reminiscence, because outside of a few dim ones I can barely remember any of the people or events haha.

Oh, hullo thread. Didn't realize you were back.

I actually don't have many regrets related to high school. Yeah, I could've studied harder and cared more, but the choices that I'd made then led me to where I am now. I'm fine with where I am, the people that I've met and what I'm doing now. I don't have any regrets about what I did in high school because the path that it put me on is not a terrible one. There are people I care about who I may not have met otherwise.

The only thing I regret was completely out of my control, and it kind of went beyond high school as well. It's hindsight more than anything, I guess.

Being on the swim team was a waste of time.

Being on the swim team helped get me into (and pay for) college, so definitely not a waste of time for me.

But more on topic, I'd recommend focus on building a skill or hobby that is fun for you--like an instrument, a foreign language, a sport, shop class, or some other random elective. These are things that you can continue to use and enjoy throughout life. Focus on those. Remember to have fun!

Well I'd definitely make an effort to actually do well, but that's actually not at the top of my list. I'd go ahead and do the things I do now, just...earlier. With more time. Like, starting going to the gym at least when I'm 15-16, take better care of myself and represent myself better. I know I would've had a lot more fun in school.

High school sucked for me, but the reasons for it were well outside of my control. And despite being an emotional, depressed and scared mess, I managed to pull through it. Without anyone's help, of course. That was apparently too much.

Edited by Excellen Browning

I'm (still) in secondary school but I already have some:

-Not joining any clubs (mostly cruiiiiised by), especially the debate club when they had begged me to try and join

-Not trying academically (could've destroyed a lot of tests a lot more thoroughly had I revised)

-Not really interacting with other people outside of classrooms or the school building

-Thinking I could swim during the last Activities Week

idk I thought I'd have a lot more

There was that incredibly weird blur in freshman year that kinda looms over at times. Like, i literally "lost" about three or four months. How that occurred, was...well...the phrase "Wake and Bake" should kinda clear it up for ya. I dont really regret that though. Its just weird to think about.

The thing i do regret is not taking a Spanish class. Ooo man.

Concentrated on programming rather than graphical design. I wish I had actually taken art classes so I could be a better artist. Oh, and actually pursued someone I liked rather than getting cold feet and seeing them get married.

high school was a fucking shitshow for me. faced daily bullying that involved not only frequent mental but also physical abuse and as a result was too scared to do good in school in fear of being seen as a "nerd". but truth be told, i still wouldn't change a thing. if it wasn't for me getting shit on in high school i don't think i'd be the same person i am now and quite frankly, i love how things are turning out for me. i transformed and went from the socially awkward bullying victim that took out frustrations and insecurities by resorting to being an asshole to people on the internet to a confident and attractive man who can consistently score dates with cute ladies on a weekly basis (my record was going out with 4 different girls on the same week) with a great network of offline friends who also happen to share my interest in league of legends. i love me.

moral of the story: instead of thinking about what could've been, figure out ways to move forward given a bad situation.

although i wish i did better in school because finding a full time job since my graduation 4 months ago has been a struggle. but alas, it's something i'll eventually figure out!

Edited by BEST TRYNDAMERE PLAYER

Oh man, if there is one time period where I have the most regrets it's definitely high school. For one, I wish I took it more seriously and studied a lot. It isn't that I did bad in highschool, since overall I did pretty decent and was a B student, Problem is, now that I'm in college, I never got into a good study habit and it's hurting me. I feel that if I studied in high school, I woulda been much better off and struggling less. Also, I didn't really talk to much people in high school, save for a select few. This wasn't too much of a problem since I had plenty of friends online, but I still can't help but feel like I missed out on a lot. Now that I'm in college though, I have much more friends than I thought I'd have so its not a problem anymore. I'll agree with the Tryn above me though, I don't really regret these things too much, cause it shaped the person who I am today, and I do like how I came out, flaws and everything. Still, damn it I wish I could get myself to study. I'm 21 so I guess I do have time, but ughhh it's such a pain.

Edited by HiguraShiki

Not really. The only thing I regret was something I had no control over- that we didn't have a marching band- and concert band was just fine anyways. High school was really just something I endured and treated as my last years of irresponsibility. Now, I do regret my first year of college, but that's another story entirely. So maybe I regret not having developed study habits before then but I have them now so it's not too bad.

I regret on not removing my virginity more early...

Just kidding! I'm serious, do not do that yet or that would be the downfall ( depends ) of your education. The only thing I regret is not learning how to to draw anime more early in my 1st year and cutting off my habit of creating random stories that are just random in plot.

Edited by Tecki

it probably isn't much else to everyone else, but it's still with me even to this day

It was my highscool prom, i saw this one girl that wasn't the prettiest, but she was a nice girl

i contemplated taking her to dance when they got to the slow romantic couples only dancing, but for some reason decided against it

probably i just can't forget it because like, it was my last year at highschool so i should had just went all out doing what i wanted to do

but oh well

past is the past, i guess

I regret a lot of things

I wish I could've started track earlier

I wish I were more socially self-aware/less socially awkward

I wish I would have tried harder to get better grades

I wish I could have built better, longer-lasting relationships

:\

I wish I was more involved in clubs other than the arts. I was a band and theater kid, but I also wanted to do some science-y type clubs, so that I would have been a more rounded person. Also, getting involved in retail. Who the hell knew that retail would give you a leg up in the work world?

Fortunately I was given another chance and got to a job corps center where I can actually do these things. So really, all the things I regret not doing in high school is what I am doing now as a student there.

Also, governments. Becoming more aware what's going on around instead of being coped up in front of the computer all day.

I know politics doesn't sound all that amazing, but it's a necessity to at least know a percentage of what's happening.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still in High School right now (I'm a senior), but I will say, I wish I had the drive I have now to pass my classes in 10'th grade. I got pretty lazy in 10'th grade and I kinda was just living in the moment that school year. While I did lose my sister that school year, which kinda put me into a state of depression for a while (and gave me a big reality check that gave me more of a drive to pass my classes), but my laziness is the main reason I failed the most amount of classes I ever have(and ever will).... 5 class for the whole school year ( 3 my 1'st semester and 2 my 2'nd semester, but more so my 1'st semester, I had to clean up my act near the end of my 2'nd semester. That was a very tense semester for me...). While I am making up those classes now, I thankfully just need to pass those classes in my 1'st semester (most of them anyway). However, while it was mainly my fault, my teacher for my American Government class helped. She was strict...but not a good or caring strict. I failed her class both semesters...along with 50% of the class (and probably along with 70% of all her other students)! The funny thing is that now she's actually a better teacher ...now that I'm out of her class! >:(

One thing I wish I didn't do was fail my first semester of Spanish 2 because I have to retake it. It isn't too bad. My teacher is great, but listening and (kinda) speaking spanish has been pretty hard for me. Aaannnddd...it is another class on my list of "Classes I NEED to pass to graduate".

However, I Thank God I got my act together in 11'th grade because I would have been royally screwed right now! :Joshua: