FE: Fates survey result will be revealed in this week's Famitsu

Ryo

I am thinking mentally, I just can't actually fathom being able to "flip the switch" either because I've never lived through such a situation. But Kamui even states at one point to Mikoto after she revealed that she is his/her actual mom, Kamui says something like "I just can't accept that." or "I haven't accepted that." I think that there would be a disconnect especially regarding the Hoshido siblings.

My interpretation of what Kamui meant when they said that is, "I've grown up thinking that I was related to my Nohr siblings all along but it turns out my true blood family lies here in Hoshido? I can't believe it..." I mean, I think that's a natural reaction for someone to have when faced with the truth that you have another family here, but this only spurs the player's decision of whether they want to side their blood related family or the family they grew up with. Just because they don't immediately regard them as family, doesn't mean they're gonna immediately regard them as potential marriage candidates either.

LOL see how overly complicated IS made this situation?

Edited by carefreejules

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My interpretation of what Kamui meant when they said that is, "I've grown up thinking that I was related to my Nohr siblings all along but it turns out my true blood family lies here in Hoshido? I can't believe it..." I mean, I think that's a natural reaction for someone to have when faced with the truth that you have another family here, but this only spurs the player's decision of whether they want to side their blood related family or the family they grew up with.

LOL see how overly complicated IS made this situation?

Haha yeah I can see how complicated it is. I see things a bit more simply because I'm a simple stupid person :(, even if I took your interpretation, I would still have a hard time accepting that some stranger just told you that they're your mom and these other strangers are your family.

Haha yeah I can see how complicated it is. I see things a bit more simply because I'm a simple stupid person :(, even if I took your interpretation, I would still have a hard time accepting that some stranger just told you that they're your mom and these other strangers are your family.

I wouldn't call you stupid! We all have different ways of looking at situations is all and that's something that should be embraced :>

This is completely bias for me but considering that I come from an Asian family, where I'm constantly told that family is important, even the family members I don't even know (apparently if I say my grandmother's name in Laos, half the country would know me and I find that terrifying tbh...), I'm more inclined to have these views and feelings.

"Family" can be more than just blood. Not to mention that there's this funny little thing called "Westermarck effect" that happens to work NOT just with your blood family but anyone who was raised in close proximity with you when you were a child. The first line of the wikipedia article says it all:

The Westermarck effect, or reverse sexual imprinting, is a hypothetical psychological effect through which people who live in close domestic proximity during the first few years of their lives become desensitized to sexual attraction.

When I was growing up, I had several family friends whom I saw very often as a little kid. Even now, many years later and we are no longer children, I can't see the guys as anything BUT my brothers because we grew up so closely when we were young. In the case of Kamui, he was literally raised with the Nohr siblings in the same house. Where the hell is the sexual attraction coming from? You don't just look at your siblings the day after you find out you're not related and go, "Hmm. I'd like to tap that." No.

As for the Hoshidan siblings, the younger three at the very least grew up believing that they were your siblings. Kamui probably spent some time with them as well, and believed they were related to him by blood. Even if they're not related, they believed that they were related for so long that this is going to be one hell of a mental barrier for all of them to get through! It's not as simple as saying, "Oh, we're not blood-related we can bang." Your mind would still be stuck on the part where you believed they were your sibling most of your life, and would have a hard time getting past that.

"Family" can be more than just blood. Not to mention that there's this funny little thing called "Westermarck effect" that happens to work NOT just with your blood family but anyone who was raised in close proximity with you when you were a child. The first line of the wikipedia article says it all:

When I was growing up, I had several family friends whom I saw very often as a little kid. Even now, many years later and we are no longer children, I can't see the guys as anything BUT my brothers because we grew up so closely when we were young. In the case of Kamui, he was literally raised with the Nohr siblings in the same house. Where the hell is the sexual attraction coming from? You don't just look at your siblings the day after you find out you're not related and go, "Hmm. I'd like to tap that." No.

As for the Hoshidan siblings, the younger three at the very least grew up believing that they were your siblings. Kamui probably spent some time with them as well, and believed they were related to him by blood. Even if they're not related, they believed that they were related for so long that this is going to be one hell of a mental barrier for all of them to get through! It's not as simple as saying, "Oh, we're not blood-related we can bang." Your mind would still be stuck on the part where you believed they were your sibling most of your life, and would have a hard time getting past that.

Oh, I didn't know there was a specific term to what I was getting at! This is very informative and definitely helps put what I'm trying to get at in better terms.

I wouldn't call you stupid! We all have different ways of looking at situations is all and that's something that should be embraced :>

This is completely bias for me but considering that I come from an Asian family, where I'm constantly told that family is important, even the family members I don't even know (apparently if I say my grandmother's name in Laos, half the country would know me and I find that terrifying tbh...), I'm more inclined to have these views and feelings.

I also come from an Asian family so I know what you mean. While I'm on the side of "they're not actually related", I just wanted to bring this up because I feel like I can't think it all the way through by myself so I wanted to ask other people's more educated opinions. :>

I've seen this brought up before somewhere else too but as soon as it was mentioned, several people said that they are in a relationship with someone they were really close to/almost brought up together since they were children so maybe it doesn't apply to everyone? I know of two real life examples within my family (one couple raised together and one who were really close friends since childhood). Granted, none of them were told they were siblings nor were they actual siblings.

According to the article on Westermarck effect, there was a study in which the results suggested that Westermarck effect operates from birth to age six. Which implies that if this hypothesis is true, if you're raised together or very close to someone after age six then it might not take effect. And yeah, I'm pretty sure that there are exceptions to everything but from what I've heard in normal circumstances it holds up pretty well and is an observable thing.

Genetic sexual attraction, which is also a thing, is the reverse effect of Westermarck, in which blood relatives who were raised APART and met when they were adults may be more attracted to one another as adults. Which conveniently doesn't hold up in the case of the Hoshido siblings because they're not related to you! But it would explain a certain someone else -- *shot*

Even if there's a rare 1% of people in which Westermarck effect for some reason didn't apply, I'm still putting Kamui in the 99%. No need for them to be exceptional at being a sibling fucker on top of everything else!

EDIT: Actually, bringing up the "Westermarck is in effect from birth to six" thing, maybe that explains why Camilla wants to fuck you. If she were older than six when Kamui first came around.

Edited by Sunwoo

According to the article on Westermarck effect, there was a study in which the results suggested that Westermarck effect operates from birth to age six. Which implies that if this hypothesis is true, if you're raised together or very close to someone after age six then it might not take effect. And yeah, I'm pretty sure that there are exceptions to everything but from what I've heard in normal circumstances it holds up pretty well and is an observable thing.

Genetic sexual attraction, which is also a thing, is the reverse effect of Westermarck, in which blood relatives who were raised APART and met when they were adults may be more attracted to one another as adults. Which conveniently doesn't hold up in the case of the Hoshido siblings because they're not related to you! But it would explain a certain someone else -- *shot*

Even if there's a rare 1% of people in which Westermarck effect for some reason didn't apply, I'm still putting Kamui in the 99%. No need for them to be exceptional at being a sibling fucker on top of everything else!

EDIT: Actually, bringing up the "Westermarck is in effect from birth to six" thing, maybe that explains why Camilla wants to fuck you. If she were older than six when Kamui first came around.

Do we know how old Kamui might have been when he/she was brought over? Kamui definitely wasn't an infant but I'm not sure. Wait I'm sorry I just realized this is totally off topic. orz

It is not said for certain how old they are when they was kidnapped, but my personal guess is about 4-5 - based on how old I feel the other siblings (namely the younger ones) are relative to Kamui.

Regardless, depending on when Sumeragi married Mikoto he must have spent SOME time in his early years growing up with the Hoshido siblings (minus possibly Sakura who may have just been born), and then spent the REST of his childhood and later years with the Nohr family. They still consider themselves family in every instance minus the optional S-support. They shouldn't have been marriage options to begin with, because it contradicts what they were going for - a story of your two families and the siblings who care for you very much. Sure, some people will take the option because they were given it, but it really shouldn't have been given in the first place and IS should've made a stand about what their story's theme was.

The game should not make the avatar related to anyone if they're going to let the avatar marry everyone, including their siblings. Because it only weakens the story and makes the developers look like they can't make up their mind and just want to please everyone.

It's IMO more about the themes in the story. The marketing made a huge deal about the themes of family, but being able to marry them, IMO, cheapens that--especially since Hoshido's marketted as your blood siblings but end up being not anyway, just so you can reasonably fuck them. Now, in a story with marriage and romance, I understand the appeal for the Avatar to S rank literally everyone. But it should not compromise the themes of the story in order to do so.

If you're gonna give us 8 hot people the player's gonna want to romance, and you're actually gonna let the player romance them, that's fine. Don't market them as your family. Don't put such heavy emphasis on the themes of family only to ruin it with romance when it actually comes time for the game.

It is not said for certain how old they are when they was kidnapped, but my personal guess is about 4-5 - based on how old I feel the other siblings (namely the younger ones) are relative to Kamui.

Regardless, depending on when Sumeragi married Mikoto he must have spent SOME time in his early years growing up with the Hoshido siblings (minus possibly Sakura who may have just been born), and then spent the REST of his childhood and later years with the Nohr family. They still consider themselves family in every instance minus the optional S-support. They shouldn't have been marriage options to begin with, because it contradicts what they were going for - a story of your two families and the siblings who care for you very much. Sure, some people will take the option because they were given it, but it really shouldn't have been given in the first place and IS should've made a stand about what their story's theme was.

The game should not make the avatar related to anyone if they're going to let the avatar marry everyone, including their siblings. Because it only weakens the story and makes the developers look like they can't make up their mind and just want to please everyone.

Kamui doesn't remember being raised there though. He/She seems to have blocked at least that part out. Also if they are only a few years apart, Takumi probably also never knew Kamui because I don't think people have memories of being that young.

It's IMO more about the themes in the story. The marketing made a huge deal about the themes of family, but being able to marry them, IMO, cheapens that--especially since Hoshido's marketted as your blood siblings but end up being not anyway, just so you can reasonably fuck them. Now, in a story with marriage and romance, I understand the appeal for the Avatar to S rank literally everyone. But it should not compromise the themes of the story in order to do so.

If you're gonna give us 8 hot people the player's gonna want to romance, and you're actually gonna let the player romance them, that's fine. Don't market them as your family. Don't put such heavy emphasis on the themes of family only to ruin it with romance when it actually comes time for the game.

But I agree with you all that being able to marry the siblings on either side cheapened the plot greatly.

Edited by Hatsuoki

Exactly.

There are some things that you can sacrifice and compromise if done right, but if the very thing you're about to compromise goes against the message, emphasis and theme of what your advertising for the sake of pandering, then what was any of this for?

As much as Takumi is my favorite character (and Oboro my favorite female character), I don't want to marry them. Part of it is the sibling reasons (Takumi comes off as very sibling-ly), but also likely because I dislike Kamui and think he's a failure of a self-insert and that my favorite characters deserve better.

I really, really dislike Kamui.

Well Oboro/Takumi is otp anyway. You dont wanna split up the OTP!

I guess I have an on-off switch when it comes to player-story action integration. Like when I play Assassin's Creed, usually I actually try to play like an actual Assassin and like how Ezio would've approached the mission, but sometimes, yaknow

it's also fun to just go in and wreck every guard's day ever even though that's pretty mean of me and ezio wouldn't have killed people that weren't necessary to die in his mission

So although I think Kamui a shit, I'm just going to turn off the story entirely when I go S rank Ryouma, or something, and pretend my Kamui isn't nearly as big of an idiot as they are in canon. When I start caring about plot, he's going with Rinka. Or Crimson if I had that option to, but alas.

Nice Ryouma in suit, brother!

Im the same way actually. My Kamui is not a self-insert because if i was self-inserting, i wouldnt be going straight for Camilla. Im inserting a totally different personality than myself and the Kamui that is written into my MU. So....theres a thing.

Basically my thoughts on the sibling marriage is that, it should NOT have been included. I acknowledge that I myself have a thing for the lobster, but I don't really project that on to Kamui as a standalone character. I think the quality of the game would've been improved if the siblings are unromanceable.

HOWEVER, because they already did include it, the damage is done, might as well take advantage of it. Since the plot is kinda a mess and Kamui a shit anyway, I can just compartmentalize that bit out. Honestly, a part of it is also the stats issue. If they didn't fuck up Rinka's stats that bad I wouldn't even consider Kamui. If they let Ryouma marry Crimson or actually S rank Marx I also wouldn't consider Kamui.

Serious, though, Rinka's a far more relatable character than Kamui for me. If only she had her rightful +3 str tacked on to those abs.

...well, almost. 6str 5skl on shinonome and the hoshido/nohr set would prolly tempt me anyway

tl;dr i'd rather it's not an option but since is fucked up and put it in i'm not gonna deny myself the option

Ja. We wanted A Song of Ice And Fire Emblem, but not LANNISTER Emblem. Come on. Like, Kamui should have been unable to romance those 8 characters. At very least, the four Hoshidans. I have to draw the line in the sand like i did with second gen in Awakening. The option is now there for my MU to totally have weird monkey sex with Marx. WELP. Theres also gameplay reasons too. Like why i want my first MU to marry Camilla, because he wants Revenant Knight real bad. Hes just the sort who would sit on a zombie durgin and fling spells at things.

My actual self-insert wants to diddle Benoit. :V

^For some reason I really wanna see Lucina!Ophelia now that you bring that to mind.

df6448be7a13babe363c667ecb216e2f.png

OOOPSIE

What bothers me: Theres no reason on the Nohr side of things for Kamui to not know about their not being related to those guys. And vice-versa. >.>

I agree.

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

Ja. We wanted A Song of Ice And Fire Emblem, but not LANNISTER Emblem. Come on. Like, Kamui should have been unable to romance those 8 characters. At very least, the four Hoshidans. I have to draw the line in the sand like i did with second gen in Awakening. The option is now there for my MU to totally have weird monkey sex with Marx. WELP. Theres also gameplay reasons too. Like why i want my first MU to marry Camilla, because he wants Revenant Knight real bad. Hes just the sort who would sit on a zombie durgin and fling spells at things.

May I ask why the four Hoshidans? My original question was about the technicality of incest. If I went by your logic and disregard the fact that

none of them are blood related

wouldn't the Nohr siblings be less acceptable?

May I ask why the four Hoshidans? My original question was about the technicality of incest. If I went by your logic and disregard the fact that

I wasnt even addressing your question. But the Hoshidan siblings have literally no reason to not be blood related to Kamui. Like, none. Except the devs wanted to give you the option to boink them. Kamui's mum married their father.

I would have preferred that on the Nohr side of things, that the siblings at least know that Kamui isnt blood related to them. The text shows that only

Marx knows about it and obviously does not discuss it with the others. Oh btw, Ryouma seems to be aware that Kamui is also not Sumeragi's child. He also keeps this piece of information under his lobster helm, for the others dont know. But Mikoto fucking married Sumeragi!

Its dumb and the Nohr side of things should have had everyone know that it was a hostage situation. If they grew to love Kamui as a family member, thats on them. I guess that

the game tries to handwave the other three Nohr royals as not knowing Kamui wasnt Garon's as the fact that they all had different mothers. I believe Marx was the only child from Ektrina/Ecatarina, the legit Empress. The other three were from concubines.

If i had my actual way, all 8 would have been off-limits for S supports. Cuz the rabbit hole that is what constitutes as incest is dark and full of terrors.

It's because

Kamui doesn't learn the Hoshidans aren't related to him/her until the actual S-Support. So Kamui, or the player, makes a decision of incest.

One way they could have justified the whole Hoshidan marriage deal is to have

the fact that Kamui and the Hoshidans not be related come up as an actual major plot point in Birthright and IK, which would give also giveKamui a chance to show his loyalty to the cause and to his new family.

I could also believe marriage to Marx, as it's implied you were never that close. But marrying Elise should definitely be off the table. It feels downright predatory.

I wasnt even addressing your question. But the Hoshidan siblings have literally no reason to not be blood related to Kamui. Like, none. Except the devs wanted to give you the option to boink them. Kamui's mum married their father.

I would have preferred that on the Nohr side of things, that the siblings at least know that Kamui isnt blood related to them. The text shows that only

Marx knows about it and obviously does not discuss it with the others. Oh btw, Ryouma seems to be aware that Kamui is also not Sumeragi's child. He also keeps this piece of information under his lobster helm, for the others dont know. But Mikoto fucking married Sumeragi!

Its dumb and the Nohr side of things should have had everyone know that it was a hostage situation. If they grew to love Kamui as a family member, thats on them. I guess that

the game tries to handwave the other three Nohr royals as not knowing Kamui wasnt Garon's as the fact that they all had different mothers. I believe Marx was the only child from Ektrina/Ecatarina, the legit Empress. The other three were from concubines.

If i had my actual way, all 8 would have been off-limits for S supports. Cuz the rabbit hole that is what constitutes as incest is dark and full of terrors.

Oh I'm sorry. Dx

It's because

Kamui doesn't learn the Hoshidans aren't related to him/her until the actual S-Support. So Kamui, or the player, makes a decision of incest.

the fact that Kamui and the Hoshidans not be related come up as an actual major plot point in Birthright and IK, which would give also giveKamui a chance to show his loyalty to the cause and to his new family.

I could also believe marriage to Marx, as it's implied you were never that close. But marrying Elise should definitely be off the table. It feels downright predatory.

Ah sorry, I guess that because I thought Kamui seemed to have a hard time believing or *feeling* like they're actually related, that there's a disconnect. You're right though that Kamui would have to actually make a decision of incest. See I haven't even thought that far. xD

It's because

Oh yeah, while im ok to an extent with the elder Nohr siblings, Elise is a total fucking NOPE. The line...it is in the sand. I shalt not S support that. (so she belongs with Benoit on my first run anyway.) Elise would have definitely grown up thinking Kamui is a sibling regardless of situation.

Oh I'm sorry. Dx

Ah sorry, I guess that because I thought Kamui seemed to have a hard time believing or *feeling* like they're actually related, that there's a disconnect. You're right though that Kamui would have to actually make a decision of incest. See I haven't even thought that far. xD

Dont worry about it. And yeah that kinda is why Hoshidan siblings is funky. Cuz Kamui learns the truth about Nohr side of things eventually. (i guess its just now up to the player to cross that line or not.) Localization has their hands full, lemme tell ya.

The game doesn't even acknowledge the pseudo incest. Kamui and a sibling S-rank and they play it off like it's any other romance. There is hardly a discussion of how their feelings went from familial to romantic. They don't talk about how their other siblings or society will look at them. It's just "Not blood-related? Green light to engage!"

I mean, you'd think the taboo of incest would be there because the other siblings can't S-rank each other, but apparently social ties aren't a factor for romantic attraction. Marrying your cousin is okay though. Marry the hell out of those!

What bothers me the most is the "pick and choose your canon" problem of optional S-ranks. On one play through, I have a person who considers me their true family, blood related or not, and then on another play through, they always wanted to jump my bones. The relationship becomes undefined and I can't appreciate it as a true family relationship OR as a true romantic relationship.

I might even welcome some incestual relationships if 1. The game was consistent with it (only true for Camilla) and 2. Had the maturity to deal with the problems and considerations of incestual romance (not true for anyone).

Edited by NekoKnight

Oh yeah, while im ok to an extent with the elder Nohr siblings, Elise is a total fucking NOPE. The line...it is in the sand. I shalt not S support that. (so she belongs with Benoit on my first run anyway.) Elise would have definitely grown up thinking Kamui is a sibling regardless of situation.

Dont worry about it. And yeah that kinda is why Hoshidan siblings is funky. Cuz Kamui learns the truth about Nohr side of things eventually. (i guess its just now up to the player to cross that line or not.) Localization has their hands full, lemme tell ya.

Wait now I remember what I wanted to say. xD (I should NOT be doing this and homework at the same time.) Because I'm not into incest, I don't know how incest works nor have I ever looked into it. So everything I say is just theoretical. Say that Kamui DOES make an incestuous decision, shouldn't that not be a problem? Is it a problem with morality or health issues? I was trying to get back to my original question, which I know you weren't answering but I'm asking all this because of it. xD Is it just something that happens? What if they love each other (in that way)? And what if they wouldn't have had children if they never found out they weren't actually related?

I should mention again that I am in no way into incest. This was just a passing thought that I wanted to talk out but because I have never looked into anything like this, can't think it through by myself.

Edit: I should also include that I want to play Kamui as Kamui and not a self insert which is why it's interesting for me to see what is plausible. If I was playing a self insert, I would totally be marrying Hinata because I mean

Edited by Hatsuoki

It's because

The issue with that idea is that they'd need to have written two versions of the supports, one for before that story event, one that takes place afterwards. As things stand though, the main story is pretty much unaffected by any supports. There doesn't seem to be any extra dialogue at all from having supports - like Lucina's scene in Awakening, or even the spouse and children lines in the final chapter, which ends up resulting in some weird interactions. I've seen a few reviewers talking about how the main story seemed very unconnected from the relationships and extra chapters. So it seems unlikely they'd go out of their way to write entirely new support conversations based on story events, without changing their overall attitude regarding the size of the script.

Edited by NeonZ

Wait now I remember what I wanted to say. xD (I should NOT be doing this and homework at the same time.) Because I'm not into incest, I don't know how incest works nor have I ever looked into it. So everything I say is just theoretical. Say that Kamui DOES make an incestuous decision, shouldn't that not be a problem? Is it a problem with morality or health issues? I was trying to get back to my original question, which I know you weren't answering but I'm asking all this because of it. xD Is it just something that happens? What if they love each other (in that way)? And what if they wouldn't have had children if they never found out they weren't actually related?

I should mention again that I am in no way into incest. This was just a passing thought that I wanted to talk out but because I have never looked into anything like this, can't think it through by myself.

Edit: I should also include that I want to play Kamui as Kamui and not a self insert which is why it's interesting for me to see what is plausible. If I was playing a self insert, I would totally be marrying Hinata because I mean

You mean Kamui believes that they're family but wants to romance them anyway? Honestly, I would respect that a bit more than what we got, they get to talk about any issues and face them head on instead of going "just kidding, we're strangers". I mean, it does happen in real life, and is kind of realistic with the Hoshido siblings, since they never really got to know each other until they were all older.

It's a tough call to say it's a matter of morality. Incest does however, significantly raise the chance of having birth defects in whatever children they have. That may not be common knowledge in the FE verse though. If they do know about that kind of stuff and decide to not have children, then... well darn, I guess that would really be up to the individual. In universe they'd probably get some funny looks and some jeers, but they are (fictional) adults that "chose" to love each other despite knowing of the consequences.

The issue with that idea is that they'd need to have written two versions of the supports, one for before that story event, one that takes place afterwards. As things stand though, the main story is pretty much unaffected by any supports. There doesn't seem to be any extra dialogue at all from having supports - like Lucina's scene in Awakening, or even the spouse and children lines in the final chapter, which ends up resulting in some weird interactions. I've seen a few reviewers talking about how the main story seemed very unconnected from the relationships and extra chapters. So it seems unlikely they'd go out of their way to write entirely new support conversations based on story events, without changing their overall attitude regarding the size of the script.

Hoshido Chapter 15 changes based on supports, but otherwise, yes, it's mostly ignored.

In my hypothetical situation, though, the revelation would come before you get a chance to S-Support any of them; perhaps S-Support for siblings would be locked out until the revelation, or perhaps the join times would be adjusted. As it stands, there's no way to make it work without changing the gameplay unless you had the revelation at Chapter 8.