FE: Fates survey result will be revealed in this week's Famitsu

Ryo

Therefore it's actually possible to have any second gen marry their cousin. Note that I'm not even counting second cousins, nor am I counting the Aunt/Uncle stuff you can pull with Kanna, such as Aqua!Kinu × Shigure!Kanna (even though your aunts and uncles, on average, share twice as much DNA with you than your cousins do).

It just occured to me today that there's some pretty confusing implications about Kamui being able to marry the Hoshido sibling's children.

If they (Kamui) don't S-rank with the siblings, then that bullshit ex machina letter never existed, and Ryoma never tells Kamui the truth, which means, as far as Kamui is concerned, they are blood related to all of the siblings. Despite that, they can still S-rank with any of their siblings children. So for some reason, Kamui finds it wrong to bang their half brother/sister, but their nephew/niece? They can't get their pants off fast enough. It's sounds pretty messed up out of context, and still does in context. With the sister's children, that can be excused as an oversight, but Shinonome and... whatthehellishisname Takumi Jr., that should never happen, because the only way the can S-rank is if Kamui believes they are her nephews. They don't even hand wave it, they just straight up don't even mention the implications.

Personally I find the half-dragon half-human princess with the legendary chainsaw katana broadsword who can use magic spells and has healing powers who is a talented strategist that everyone loves implicitly and barfs rainbows and shits bon-bons hard to identify with

You know, I could probably write an essay on how Robin isn't a Mary Sue, defend my opinion to the death. But whatever they did with Kamui... that's just fucking stupid

Also, I like Robin's design far better than Kamui's. Can't beat that tactician cloak. Kamui's armor just looks stupid to me, especially the female's thigh holes. Don't even get me started on their character.

I like to thenk F!Kamui is a risk taker. She either distracts the enemy with her thighs, or she gives them a good idea where to start hacking off limbs

Edited by NeptuniasBeard

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It just occured to me today that there's some pretty confusing implications about Kamui being able to marry the Hoshido sibling's children.

If they (Kamui) don't S-rank with the siblings, then that bullshit ex machina letter never existed, and Ryoma never tells Kamui the truth, which means, as far as Kamui is concerned, they are blood related to all of the siblings. Despite that, they can still S-rank with any of their siblings children. So for some reason, Kamui finds it wrong to bang their half brother/sister, but their nephew/niece? They can't get their pants off fast enough. It's sounds pretty messed up out of context, and still does in context. With the sister's children, that can be excused as an oversight, but Shinonome and... whatthehellishisname Takumi Jr., that should never happen, because the only way the can S-rank is if Kamui believes they are her nephews. They don't even hand wave it, they just straight up don't even mention the implications.

Fire Emblem: Incest is Wincest Edition

Also personally I like Kamui's default armor design, and I really like the White Blood version... but I'm not big on the Dark Blood version. Hmm...

Overall I prefer Grandmaster design over all of Kamui's armor choices though. I'd go barefooted though because I'm weird like that.

I'd never go barefoot outside my own house. Even in other people's houses I'd wear socks. I don't want to imagine just how many rocks Aqua and Kamui got stuck in the soles of their feet.

You know, I just thought of something but aren't Suzukaze and Saizou twins? I believe they share the same birthday (October 2nd) and when Saizou was first shown didn't something (I can't remember when Saizou was first shown) said "the older twin brother of Suzukaze" or something like that, 'cause if I'm right then doesn't that make Midoriko and Gurei even worse in a genetic sense, since aren't children of twins genetic siblings or is that only with identical twins?

Suzukaze and Saizou are twins, yes. But that only applies to identical twins. Fraternal twins are just like any other pair of siblings.

Of course, we have no idea whether Flora/Felicia and Suzukaze/Saizou are fraternal or identical. But in FE4, there were a pair of IDENTICAL twin sisters who could have kids who could hook up with one another, so it wouldn't even be the first time.

Suzukaze and Saizou are twins, yes. But that only applies to identical twins. Fraternal twins are just like any other pair of siblings.

Ahh okay I see, thank you for the correction.

Of course, we have no idea whether Flora/Felicia and Suzukaze/Saizou are fraternal or identical. But in FE4, there were a pair of IDENTICAL twin sisters who could have kids who could hook up with one another, so it wouldn't even be the first time.

Oh I know all about Lana/Faval and Lester/Patty, trust me. Anyway more on topic (I guess), I would think that at least Flora and Felicia are identical twins but since I have Prosopagnosia it's a little hard for me to judge on stuff like that. Either way, I'm starting to feel really bad for the translators right now.

Oh I know all about Lana/Faval and Lester/Patty, trust me. Anyway more on topic (I guess), I would think that at least Flora and Felicia are identical twins but since I have Prosopagnosia it's a little hard for me to judge on stuff like that. Either way, I'm starting to feel really bad for the translators right now.

Prosopagnosia affects your perception of drawings as well? Damn, I'd thought for that to be some kind of loophole.

I didn't even Flora and Felicia were twins, they certainly aren't identical though

Even if Fates has that "anime-ish" art style, I think if Flora and Felicia were identical they'd at least have the same hair color … which they do not. The previous pairs of identical twins in the series, Aideen/Briggid and Raigh/Lugh, looked identical and had the same hair color and similar hair styles, even. If Flora/Felicia and Saizou/Suzukaze were meant to be identical, it'd probably be more obvious.

Or maybe Fates threw that logic out the window and I'm completely wrong, but going by precedent I'd say no.

Edited by Sunwoo

You'd think after Kris and Robin they'd have learned to write an avatar better.

I think its gone backwards.

Yep. Been said plenty of times already, but doesn't hurt to say it again.

Or maybe Fates threw that logic out the window and I'm completely wrong, but going by precedent I'd say no.

It's already thrown plenty of logic and decency out the window, precedence be damned.

You know, I could probably write an essay on how Robin isn't a Mary Sue, defend my opinion to the death. But whatever they did with Kamui... that's just fucking stupid

An essay coming up! I swear, I have bookmarked that page just to shove it in people's faces.

Robin might have benefited from actually NOT being the main character, since then they don't have to inherit that glorified heroic image that is so prevalent in FE lords. The questions at the end of the DLC maps also helped shape your avatar.

Yep. Been said plenty of times already, but doesn't hurt to say it again.

Yeah sorry for sounding like a broken record. I still personally find Kris to be the worst of the 3 still however, because they were added to a preexisting story and took lines from other characters and added in a pointless subplot.

At least Robin was planned to be in Awakenings plot as was Kamui for Fates.

Edited by Jedi

An essay coming up! I swear, I have bookmarked that page just to shove it in people's faces.

Robin might have benefited from actually NOT being the main character, since then they don't have to inherit that glorified heroic image that is so prevalent in FE lords. The questions at the end of the DLC maps also helped shape your avatar.

I think that's a big deal. Robin was important, but still kind of an outsider, like the player.

I also feel as if it's more interesting, as an Avatar in a Fire Emblem, to be the friend or even lover of the quintessential Fire Emblem lord than to be that lord yourself. The myriad self-insert fanfictions out there attest: better to bang a cool hero than have to deal with the implications of being that hero yourself.

I admit that I'm one of the people who was psyched at the news that the avatar is now the protagonist whose actions will have drastic impact on the story. The premise has a lot of potentials. But now, I'm not sure if I would ever want to see an avatar lord again, or any avatar for that matter...

I admit that I'm one of the people who was psyched at the news that the avatar is now the protagonist whose actions will have drastic impact on the story. The premise has a lot of potentials. But now, I'm not sure if I would ever want to see an avatar lord again, or any avatar for that matter...

Well considering how successful Fates has already been, I don't see it going away anytime soon.

Trends in past FE's would try some new mechanics other than ones that stuck, the avatar looks to be one that is going to stick.

Well considering how successful Fates has already been, I don't see it going away anytime soon.

Trends in past FE's would try some new mechanics other than ones that stuck, the avatar looks to be one that is going to stick.

Yeah same for the children characters and my castle. Edited by SerenadeofWisdom

Good stuff, way better and more detailed than whatever I would've come up with. You (or whomever wrote it) even threw in some stuff for those who say Chrom's got nothing going for him

Yeah same for the children characters and my castle.

I don't mind My Castle, children on the other hand... handled super well in fe4, was at least a minor plot point in Awakening.... doesn't really have any place in Fates.

But I'd agree.

children characters

jbGegwd.gif

If this is going to be in every Fire Emblem from now on they better learn how to write them better. In Genealogy they were superb, in Awakening they were mixed, but they had plot important, in Fates they were in there for no real reason, and despite my love for a few kids, they aren't even really popular in Japan judging by the polls. And if they keep using flimsy excuses, people will start getting tired of them and they'll be taken out, and it'll just keep declining. SO they better either write them better, give a damn good excuse for why they're in there, or remove them entirely.

No, I was one of them too, don't worry. I think a lot of people were, and it could have been a good idea, it just fell short.

I'd never go barefoot outside my own house. Even in other people's houses I'd wear socks. I don't want to imagine just how many rocks Aqua and Kamui got stuck in the soles of their feet.

I do typically, only because I'm so use to it from being a little kid. Except in other people's houses unless I know them well and they don't care. And... idk... they're part dragon... maybe they have hard feet? /excuses

I don't mind My Castle, children on the other hand... handled super well in fe4, was at least a minor plot point in Awakening.... doesn't really have any place in Fates.

But I'd agree.

One thing about the children though is that they pretty much replace a lot of the filler units. I'd rather characters related to the main cast and be an extension/incentive of the support mechanic than characters who exist purely as afterthoughts. In any other Fire Emblem(except Awakening and Genealogy) Sophie and Siegbert would be two nobody cavaliers created purely to replace Cyrus if he died.

Edited by arvilino

The naked feet look exotic, I guess. I personally don't mind it, especially on Aqua since she dances.

I actually really wonder how the children mechanic in Fates was received in Japan. I'd love to hear some more detailed opinions on it, but weren't they generally happy about it?? I feel like such a mechanic might become boring and stale if used three games in a row...

I don't mind the children as individual units and I like a fair deal of them this time around, but they do feel very out of place in Fates. Their spots could be used to create characters actually relevent to the Hoshido/Nohr plot, since the kids have nothing to do with the conflict and have no experiences about it that makes them relevent to the story.

I also don't really like what it does to the roster. Almost everyone's young or at least of marriageable age. Characters like Niime or Yodel are pretty much impossible and even if they weren't they'd be reduced to "Avatarsexual" characters who are lucky to get more then one support. Character ages tend to make everyone more varried since both fates and awakening lack in the older, more experienced general/retainer/mage/mercenary department.

I guess we have Gunther, but thats still one character in two fire emblem games.

There is a bit of a problem with removing the child mechanic though. Its in two games now so people have grown acustomed to the pairing and optimisation thing. Its true that more limited supports or a better story are good directions to take, but it will probably still lead to complaints about the game having less features then the previous one.

Edited by Sasori

I don't mind the children as individual units and I like a fair deal of them this time around, but they do feel very out of place in Fates. Their spots could be used to create characters actually relevent to the Hoshido/Nohr plot, since the kids have nothing to do with the conflict and have no experiences about it that makes them relevent to the story.

I also don't really like what it does to the roster. Almost everyone's young or at least of marriageable age. Characters like Niime or Yodel are pretty much impossible and even if they weren't they'd be reduced to "Avatarsexual" characters who are lucky to get more then one support. Character ages tend to make everyone more varried since both fates and awakening lack in the older, more experienced general/retainer/mage/mercenary department.

I guess we have Gunther, but thats still one character in two fire emblem games.

Well I mean... does Gregor count...? He seemed to be older but I guess he would skirt the line.

And I have the same deal with that. There's a few kids I like, it's just the excuse is so flimsy it annoys me.

There is a bit of a problem with removing the child mechanic though. Its in two games now so people have grown acustomed to the pairing and optimisation thing. Its true that more limited supports or a better story are good directions to take, but it will probably still lead to complaints about the game having less features then the previous one.

The thing is that FE has often changed tons between games, like even Fates in the gameplay department is radically different from everything before it, I like that IS experiments, they still use some of Kagas ideas even.

Continuous use of the same tired thing however will make the games blend into each other and I do not want to see FE fall into that standard. I enjoy that every game pretty much feels different, its also part of why I enjoy the Final Fantasy franchise so much is that they change things up regularly so their games don't feel samey.