Tate or Miledy

Miledy has much better growths compared to Tate.

Besides, if you took the Sacae route, you wouldn't be able to get Juno to perform the Triangle attack. That is if you're crazy enough to take that route in the first place.

Why not both? Fliers are always good choices in FEs. There's little reason to not use them. But if you really can't ditch another unit to include both fliers, Miledy is better.

Edited by Rapier

• 4 weeks later...

I finished the playthrough recently, and Miledy capped out STR, SPD, and SKL, and she nearly hit max HP. I took Sacae because Sue turned out to be a goddess (20 str with no energy rings, max speed, and at around level 10.)

doesn't matter, shanna is still way better than tate because of availability

Is Shanna worth using as a combat unit though? Her flight is useful for utility purposes, but I don't think that's what the OP is after.

Shanna's combat is servicable enough in regular growths playthroughs because she doubles pretty easily and has enough of a def base to not get OHKO'd, as well as the fact that maps like C2, C3, C6, and C8 are easy to set up kills for her in. She does well enough vs Soldiers, Mages, and other oddjob enemies to make it to promotion for the Isles if you focus on getting her EXP, then the promotion bonuses and swords allow her to function like a flying Marcus or Zealot vs the swathes of enemy axe users (who are somewhat difficult to ORKO due to high HP anyway, so her 2RKOing isn't notably poor), and preform admirably vs Mercs, since she's probably the only unit besides Rutger that can double swordies. By the time Tate joins, Shanna will definitely have a sizable speed cushion with which to use weapons like the Killer Lance (even Silver if you want) and still consistently double with, wheras Tate's stuck with D Lances and has to get to promotion to really compare. Even once promoted, Tate's combat is at best comparable when looking at slower enemies, and definitely worse vs faster ones. Neither Tate nor Shanna are highly important combat units in the context of a regular playthrough anyway, but they certainly can fight certain enemy types without it being a problem.

Edited by Irysa

I played FE6 (only) once and Shanna was absolutely unusable in combat very fast because she couldn't do anymore damage with the slim lance.

With heavier lances she lost so much AS that she could double almost nothing and only did barely damage.

And of course I go for bases and growths. Shanna doesn't have HM boosts unlike Tate.

Edited by Mister IceTeaPeach

Tate joins about 10 chapters after Shanna with not that much better stats. Her HM bonuses stop her from being total dogshit as opposed to actually making her good, much like Fir.

Shanna has base 8 mt with a Slim Lance and doubles with it, and 11 mt with an Iron Lance. She is highly comparable to Lance in this respect, who offensively only has a +1 str lead over her and doesn't double for quite a few levels (they have the same AS with an Iron Lance). If Shanna is "so hard to train", why is Lance not? Lance can finish off axe users more reliably and can escape 2HKO status after a few levels but giving a unit like him kills early on is largely the same as giving a unit like Shanna kills. Shanna doens't have any problems finishing off enemy Soldiers or Archers in Chapter 2 and 3, or weakening them for someone else to take a kill. She doesn't preform well in Chapter 4 but neither do the Cavaliers. If one takes the slog route through Chapter 5 then she'll do pretty badly there too (although on the plus side it nets the Gant Lance, which is good for her), but she's got Mages Soldiers and Archers to hit in 6, 7 and 8.

Obviously base level Shanna is a pretty poor combat unit but her high speed growth, lance access and class work in her favor. She'll never be a juggernaut without massive rigging but people seem to freak out a lot over her base str without realising there are a lot of high HP 0 to 2 def enemies around in the first half of the game and only Marcus, Dieck, Rutger and Lugh can really significantly dent anything else until some EXP has been allocated.

Edited by Irysa

It's been a long time ago since I last played Binding Blade, so some might be a bit patchy. Nevertheless, I actually used Milady in addition to Shanna, which was actually better than just Milady. The problem was that the hit/critical RNG seemed to hate my Milady a number of times, which was a problem if Berserkers were around. Particularly in the Critical Valley post-game map, she got critical-killed a number of times with 20-30%-hit with 30%-critical and, this is when Milady was post-promote and armed with a sword. Sometimes it was actually safer to send in Shanna as she guaranteed a (near-)100% dodge.

Edited by henrymidfields

Shanna has base 8 mt with a Slim Lance and doubles with it, and 11 mt with an Iron Lance. She is highly comparable to Lance in this respect, who offensively only has a +1 str lead over her and doesn't double for quite a few levels (they have the same AS with an Iron Lance). If Shanna is "so hard to train", why is Lance not? Lance can finish off axe users more reliably and can escape 2HKO status after a few levels but giving a unit like him kills early on is largely the same as giving a unit like Shanna kills.

Sword proficiency is a pretty big factor given how many earlygame enemies use axes. In addition to finishing them off more reliably, Lance/Alan can fight them on EP while Shanna is at risk of getting OHKOd in some instances. I agree with the overall point though, if Tate had C Lances she'd be better off though still not great.