Daakupurinsu / Dark Prince = Nohr Prince

Samurai = Samurai

Shiifu / Theif = Outlaw

Oni = Oni Savage

Ninja = Ninja

Meido / Maid = Maid

Batoraa / Butler = Butler

Nosferatu = Faceless

I perfer Iago to Macbeth. Names with obvious references to well-known mythology or fiction, like "Macbeth" or "Beowulf" can often feel contrived.

EDIT: Added nearly every confirmed name of items, classes and characters. Feel free to remind me of anything else!

Edited by gayserbeam

I'm pretty sure Iago is a reference as well. Arguably a more appropriate one, considering his character.

Yeah. They kept it Shakespearian (which is awesome) and much less in-your-face. I approve Iago over Macbeth. JUST DONT LET THEM TOUCH OPHELIA! #ShakespeareNerd

The fun thing about this game is that a lot of the names really dont need to be localized too heavily. Id reckon the majority of them (and 98% of the Hoshidan names) are going to be the same.

I'm pretty sure Iago is a reference as well. Arguably a more appropriate one, considering his character.

Yeah, I agree with you and I think that the name 'Iago' is by far more appropriate for his character.

Iago is the antagonist of Shakespeare's play Othello. He is a Machiavellian manipulator who plots against Othello (amongst others) out of jealousy and spite. By many he is considered the most notorious and infamous Shakespearean villain of them all.

Oh, FE is using Shakespeare names now? That's cool! I actually used one in my fic as well (Cato). But anyway, I like the name Iago better than Macbeth myself, mainly because of the Disney character and the fact that I just think it sounds better. :P

Oh, FE is using Shakespeare names now? That's cool! I actually used one in my fic as well (Cato). But anyway, I like the name Iago better than Macbeth myself, mainly because of the Disney character and the fact that I just think it sounds better. :P

Yeah, I have some pretty strong headcanons for Iago for my fic and most of them revolve around poetry and Shakespeare's works. For example I gave him a family who all have names from Shakespearean plays and who have some traits of those characters, even the place Iago comes from I named after the castle Macbeth rules in. Because I do ship my FMU, Teresa, with Iago I head canon that they're both very mush into poetry and plays. Anyway, I could literally go on all day about my headcanons for him if I'm being honest, I have pages of the stuff.

Edited by Mox

Yeah, I have some pretty strong headcanons for Iago for my fic and most of them revolve around poetry and Shakespeare's works. For example I gave him a family who all have named from Shakespearean plays and who have some traits of those characters, even the place Iago comes from I named after the castle Macbeth rules in. Because I do ship my FMU, Teresa, with Iago I head canon that they're both very mush into poetry and plays. Anyway, I could literally go on all day about my headcanons for him if I'm being honest, I have pages of the stuff.

Favorite character revealed! Hue! (tbh, sounds like a load of fun!)

Maybe they'll get Gilbert Gottfried to voice him.

Yeah, I have some pretty strong headcanons for Iago for my fic and most of them revolve around poetry and Shakespeare's works. For example I gave him a family who all have named from Shakespearean plays and who have some traits of those characters, even the place Iago comes from I named after the castle Macbeth rules in. Because I do ship my FMU, Teresa, with Iago I head canon that they're both very mush into poetry and plays. Anyway, I could literally go on all day about my headcanons for him if I'm being honest, I have pages of the stuff.

OMG, I'm the same with headcanons, especially for Tellius. I could go on forever about them. XD Glad to see I'm not the only one that's does this stuff!

Maybe they'll get Gilbert Gottfried to voice him.

I would pay big bucks to see Gilbert Gottfried voice Iago.

But I would give 100× that to hear him voice Midoriko.

Wasn't Cordelia's name also from a shakesperian character as well?

I remember that character was famous for sayingthe quote "To love and be silent".

Yeah, from King Lear.

But she was talking about her dad, not about unrequited romance. Still a clever reference.

Don't get me wrong for what I posted earlier: I love a clever reference like everyone else. It's just contrived when its as recognizable as Macbeth- especially when Macbeth isn't even a first name, and is synonymous with the character. Naming a character "Mark" as a biblical reference that relates to his role and personality is cool and adds depth. Naming a character Satan or Zeus or Jesus Christ or Ramses or Macbeth makes it more obvious that the character is a creation with a role which forces you to suspend your disbelief and makes the story less immersive as a result. It's fine for the Japanese players who don't speak English so the reference doesn't hit them as hard and they just acknowledge it as English-sounding. But in the West, it's the duty of the localization team to change the names to create the best experience for local players.

TL;DR, Iago was a good change.

Edited by gayserbeam

But I would give 100× that to hear him voice Midoriko.

Fuck it. Let's cut out the middle man.

He just voices everyone.

Especially the skinship lines.

Fuck it. Let's cut out the middle man.

He just voices everyone.

Especially the skinship lines.

I would also pay lots of money to have a mode where Gilbert Gottfried voices everyone. I wish somebody would mod this it would be absolutely amazing!