English localisations - Names & Such

HappyHawlucha

At least Felicia will be an improvement

...And having to play it either in her English voicing, or having to mute the game whenever that you play it in her Japanese voicing.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm only unsatisfied with Xander, Leo and Subaki so far. I have absolutely no clue why the team would change their names into those. Okay, I kind of get why they changed Marx but for the latter two... why?

Because Lyon (though they should probably talk to 8-4 about the 2nd Arthur and Artur).

And they think we're idiots for some reason; I can pronounce "Tsunami" just fine, thank you.

Regarding Subaki, ultimately "we can't confirm unless they answer" (which ...sounds really difficult to ask in the first place, plus we can't do anything if they won't answer).

My own personal idea is that, I think they felt that they didn't want names with sounds like those.

I'm not implying that people don't know how to pronounce it, but that the name would "look better" "without extra letters" or whatever the hell

This is getting more and more difficult to explain.

On the other hand, looking at like Kjelle, apparently it only applies to "japanesey" names

TL;DR

It's more of a localisation thing, by which I mean they wanted to make the name more westerny or something, and "Tsubaki" is "obviously japanesy, while "Subaki" is less obviously so

I feel anyway

Edited by CocoaGalaxy

I also think Suzukaze was shortened because it's hard to pronounce... I mean, we've had hard to pronounce names in the series before, but not as hard as this one, imo. I'm still not even sure exactly how to say it. And maybe NoA has decided they should ease up on hard to pronounce names.

I'm certain Tsubaki>Subaki, Kazahana>Hana and Suzukaze>Kaze are in part shortened so their names would fit on their 'gift' weapon names and they can avoid names like "Ephraim's Lnc" again. There's also the +#'s from forging that take up space now.

The +'s don't change anything because they show up in the far right, right where durability used to be (and still is fir consumables or staves). But you could be right, fitting an eight-letter name AND an adjective AND a weapon type won't work, especially since the new weapon types include "Shuriken" and "Naginata".

It's likely they are just simplifying the Japanese names so that they are easier to remember and distinguish.

so does that mean Tsukuyomi will be Sukuyomi

Im surprised nobody mentioned Harold>Arthur yet unless someone did and Im just being sleepy and not remembering shit. Someone told me that they changed it for an allusion or something…can't recall it at the top of my head, but it made a lot more sense.

I also think Suzukaze was shortened because it's hard to pronounce... I mean, we've had hard to pronounce names in the series before, but not as hard as this one, imo. I'm still not even sure exactly how to say it. And maybe NoA has decided they should ease up on hard to pronounce names.

Especially since "Suzu" is a Japanese pronunciation and "Kaze" isn't. Like "Kazahana" is "Hana". Oboro is likely going to be changed into something else since that is a Japanese name. That's why I'd have to go with Tilty/Tilly with Tiltyu's name (FE4) because "tyu" is a Japanese pronunciation.

-Saizou

-Subaki

-Orochi

-Tsukuyomi

-Shinonome

-Kinu

-Matoi

-Berka(Should be Berke in our area)

-Eponine(Should be Ephanie in our area)

-Fuuga

-Kumagera

-Hormone

-Dragee

-Funk

-Vashala(Should be Vash in our area)

-Haitaka

-Nacht

-Banba

-Daichi

-Senou

All have to be changed as these too are Japanese names.

Edited by Princess_Florina

Pretty sure they're going the Okami route with Hoshido names, but I still have no clue why Tsubaki lost his T, well I guess some filthy casuals would have trouble. Anyway...

Predictions

Mozune- Something farm-ish, Bailey maybe?

Orochi- Idk

Saizou- Probably same

Setsuna- Probably won't change, mayhbe into Setsana or something, only gaining a few different letters

Asama- Might change it because it sounds too like the terrorist, don't know to what though...

Tsukyomi- IF IT'S STAYING THE SAME, KEEP THE DAMN T. If it's changing, Yomi or Komi.

Hinata- Like his name how it is.

Oboro- Not too difficult to pronounce

Zero- Confirmed

Odin- Love it, KEEP IT

Nyx- Keep it as Nyx or change it to Nix

Berka- Bella or Belka

Luna- Fine

Pieri- Peri or Penny

Lazward- Liam?

Especially since "Suzu" is a Japanese pronunciation and "Kaze" isn't. Like "Kazahana" is "Hana". Oboro is likely going to be changed into something else since that is a Japanese name. That's why I'd have to go with Tilty/Tilly with Tiltyu's name (FE4) because "tyu" is a Japanese pronunciation.

-Saizou

-Subaki

-Orochi

-Tsukuyomi

-Shinonome

-Kinu

-Matoi

-Fuuga

-Kumagera

-Hormone

-Dragee

-Funk

-Haitaka

-Nacht

-Banba

-Daichi

-Senou

Eponine is a real name, it's French, an it's pretty nice.

Nacht, Hormone, Dragee, Banba, Vashala, Berka and Funk aren't Japanese, but they are part of the long-held Fire Emblem tradition of stringing together random syllables or place names to create the sound of a Western name. They are gibberish and will definitely all be changed.

Every Hoshidan name will probably stay the same or just be edited to be shorter and more chatchy. They aren't getting rid of the Japanese names at all, they kept Sakura, Ryoma, Hinoka, Mikoto and Takumi, and also called Byakuya "Hoshido", which sounds very Japanese. We can expect every Japanese name to stay at least vaguely Japanese.

Edited by gayserbeam

-Saizou

-Subaki

-Orochi

-Tsukuyomi

-Shinonome

-Kinu

-Matoi

-Fuuga

-Kumagera

-Hormone

-Dragee

-Funk

-Haitaka

-Nacht

-Banba

-Daichi

-Senou

I don't quite get what you're talking about... Hoshido is supposed to be Japan, why would they change a name JUST because it's Japanese?

Anyway my speculation on who's getting changed, and for some, who it'll be changed to

Deere -> Desmond

Shigure -> Something more western sounding

Luna -> Something else moon related (since there's already a skill with that name)

Shinonome -> Shino

Gurei-> Grey seems obvious

Matoi -> Maybe something that sounds japanese and closer to Cordelia

Zero -> Zio, because why not

Benoit -> Maybe, I wouldn't put it pass the Treehouse to want to disassociate from any unfavorable individuals (see, Marx)

Syalla -> Shara sounds closer to Tharja

Ophelia -> Something closer to Lissa

Soleil -> Something closer to Olivia

Ignis -> Because it's also a skill name

Yuugiri-> Yuko, or something silly like that

Crimson -> Something that's an actual name

Orochi & Oboro-> I kind feel like they're gonna change

Belka & Lazward -> I hope they change

Edited by NeptuniasBeard

If Ryoma is anything to go by, Saizou will become Saizo and Kagerou will become Kagero. :P And if Subaki is anything to go by, Tsukuyomi will become Sukuyomi.

I hope Syalla doesn't become Sally. I don't want a Tharja copy sharing the same name as one of my minor characters...

Edited by Anacybele

Pretty sure they're going the Okami route with Hoshido names, but I still have no clue why Tsubaki lost his T, well I guess some filthy casuals would have trouble. Anyway...

Predictions

Orochi- Idk

Saizou- Probably same

Setsuna- Probably won't change, mayhbe into Setsana or something, only gaining a few different letters

Asama- Might change it because it sounds too like the terrorist, don't know to what though...

Tsukyomi- IF IT'S STAYING THE SAME, KEEP THE DAMN T. If it's changing, Yomi or Komi.

Zero- Confirmed

Odin- Love it, KEEP IT

Berka- Bella or Belka

Luna- Fine

Pieri- Peri or Penny

Lazward- Liam?

That would be pretty funny if that ended up happening considering that Liam O'Brien voiced Inigo so he's probably gonna come back to voice Lazward in Fates.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK WHY DID YOU HAVE TO PUT THIS IMAGE IN MY HEAD

His voiceclip when slain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxlhyX-4qKI

If Ryoma is anything to go by, Saizou will become Saizo and Kagerou will become Kagero. :P And if Subaki is anything to go by, Tsukuyomi will become Sukuyomi.

I hope Syalla doesn't become Sally. I don't want a Tharja copy sharing the same name as one of my minor characters...

I actually wouldn't be surprised if they went with something akin to Scylla of Greek lore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scylla

Edited by NoNameAtAll

Predictions

Orochi- Idk

Saizou- Probably same

Zero- Confirmed

Odin- Love it, KEEP IT

Berka- Bella or Belka

Luna- Fine

Pieri- Peri or Penny

Lazward- Liam?

Where was Zero's name confirmed to stay the same?

And I highly doubt that Mozume's name will be Bailey as Mozume is a Hoshidan so she will most likely have a japanese sounding name.

pls n0. If anything, just change Kagerou to Kagura, and the other people's ideas about the names Tsukuyomi > Yomi, and Syalla > Scylla would be best, if they have to change anything.

I don't know how Saizou will escape a botched name change though.

No its not. Soo-zoo-kah-zay. Its a bit of a mouthful, sure, but not hard to say.

Predictions

Orochi- Idk

Saizou- Probably same

Zero- Confirmed

Odin- Love it, KEEP IT

Berka- Bella or Belka

Luna- Fine

Pieri- Peri or Penny

Lazward- Liam?

Mozume is Hoshidan, so no. Keep her name Hoshidan, please.

Orochi makes absolute sense given its origin. (its linked to Japanese mythology and the name means 'snake')

Saizou doesnt need changing either. (unless the drop the u for whatever reason but id rather they didnt.)

Setsuna is a very traditional name.

Asama...lmao nah its also a pretty common Japanese style name.

Tsukuyomi is like Orochi in where it has cultural significance. Changing it would be rather um...disrespectful given the setting.

Hinata is likely not to change.

Oboro, same story.

Zero's name means a lot given his character.

Nyx might get changed to Nox but...i dunno. It has roots in classic mythology.

Belka becoming Bella would be neato.

Lazwald becoming Liam would be better than my prediction of Lazlo.

I don't quite get what you're talking about... Hoshido is supposed to be Japan, why would they change a name JUST because it's Japanese?

Anyway my speculation on who's getting changed, and for some, who it'll be changed to

Deere -> Desmond

Shigure -> Something more western sounding

Luna -> Something else moon related (since there's already a skill with that name)

Shinonome -> Shino

Gurei-> Grey seems obvious

Matoi -> Maybe something that sounds japanese and closer to Cordelia

Zero -> Zio, because why not

Benoit -> Maybe, I wouldn't put it pass the Treehouse to want to disassociate from any unfavorable individuals (see, Marx)

Syalla -> Shara sounds closer to Tharja

Ophelia -> Something closer to Lissa

Soleil -> Something closer to Olivia

Ignis -> Because it's also a skill name

Yuugiri-> Yuko, or something silly like that

Crimson -> Something that's an actual name

Orochi & Oboro-> I kind feel like they're gonna change

Belka & Lazward -> I hope they change

gosh, its almost like people didnt know where some of these names came from. Oh wait...

Deere, i assumed was already localized from Dia. ;/

Shigure could be changed to Sigurd and i would laugh really hard if that was the case. Like, really fucking hard. But i doubt that will happen.

Matoi is actually a play on Cordelia's Japanese name "Tiamo". Given how Matoi is Hoshidan, making her name sound similar to the localized Cordelia would be...freaking awkward.

Syalla will either be Shara (confirmed) or Sharya.

Soleil is French for sun. Its likely not to change.

Eponine is also French (and given the Les Miserables reference in it especially considering shes Zero's daughter, changing this would be pretty dumb. But then again, they changed Harold to Arthur, destroying a wonderful historical pun so who knows.)

Those two characters are Nohrian so having European names would be fine.

Ignis is fine.

Ophelia is a freaking Shakespeare reference ffs. It stays.

Theres also little wrong with Crimson's name as is.

Condering Syalla/Shara is Hoshidan, she wont be Sally. >.>

Also, removing the T in Tsukuyomi would do more damage than the Tsubaki situation given that Sukuyomi would mean literally nothing. Given how its a mythology reference, it would be like calling Odin, Odie. :/

I actually wouldn't be surprised if they went with something akin to Scylla of Greek lore.

That would be neat if she wasnt Hoshidan though.

I think they might change Lazward to Westley in the localization, just to keep the Princess Bride reference.

Bruh! You are a genius!

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

I think they might change Lazward to Westley in the localization, just to keep the Princess Bride reference.

That's absolutely inconceivable

Matoi is an anagram of Tiamo, a reference that will be lost if you don't know Cordelia's Japanese name. So I can imagine them changing it, although finding a similar name that sounds Japanese will be next to impossible.

Syalla is an anagram of Sallya, so it's in the same boat. However, there is a Japanese unisex name, Haruta, that's almost an anagram of Tharja. Its kanji don't have much to do with her character, though.

Another route they could take is to give the two names with Japanese meanings that relate to their personalities, like Ai or Aiko ("love") for Matoi and Akumi (night) for Shara. It wouldn't have the reference to their past name, but it's better to have a name that's meaningful rather than an anagram referencing a version of Awakening that the player probably hasn't played.