English localisations - Names & Such

HappyHawlucha

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's absolutely inconceivable

Matoi is an anagram of Tiamo, a reference that will be lost if you don't know Cordelia's Japanese name. So I can imagine them changing it, although finding a similar name that sounds Japanese will be next to impossible.

Syalla is an anagram of Sallya, so it's in the same boat. However, there is a Japanese unisex name, Haruta, that's almost an anagram of Tharja. Its kanji don't have much to do with her character, though.

Another route they could take is to give the two names with Japanese meanings that relate to their personalities, like Ai or Aiko ("love") for Matoi and Akumi (night) for Shara. It wouldn't have the reference to their past name, but it's better to have a name that's meaningful rather than an anagram referencing a version of Awakening that the player probably hasn't played.

I like those a lot. Especially Akumi and/or Haruta.

Also I hope Ophelia's name doesn't get changed... or at least changed to another Shakespeare reference. I just really like the name for her... it's perfect. I can't think of it really any other way.

gosh, its almost like people didnt know where some of these names came from. Oh wait...

Deere, i assumed was already localized from Dia. ;/

Shigure could be changed to Sigurd and i would laugh really hard if that was the case. Like, really fucking hard. But i doubt that will happen.

Matoi is actually a play on Cordelia's Japanese name "Tiamo". Given how Matoi is Hoshidan, making her name sound similar to the localized Cordelia would be...freaking awkward.

Syalla will either be Shara (confirmed) or Sharya.

Soleil is French for sun. Its likely not to change.

Eponine is also French (and given the Les Miserables reference in it especially considering shes Zero's daughter, changing this would be pretty dumb. But then again, they changed Harold to Arthur, destroying a wonderful historical pun so who knows.)

Those two characters are Nohrian so having European names would be fine.

Ignis is fine.

Ophelia is a freaking Shakespeare reference ffs. It stays.

Theres also little wrong with Crimson's name as is.

'

No need to talk down to me, I'm a big boy, I get the references. I was merely trying to get into the heads of the localization team. These are hypothetical name changes (mostly) based on how the localization operates.

I know the origin of Matoi, her name was not Tiamo in Awakening, so it might be changed.

Soleil's name being French means nothing.

Didn't mention Eponine

Nohrian characters have already gotten their name changed

Again, Ignis is a skill name. One thing you try to avoid is having two things share a name, especially two unrelated things in the same game. The skill was here first, so he's more likely to be changed.

So what if she's named after a character from Hamlet? If I recall, that Ophelia went crazy then killed herself. I'm not seeing how the two are related. The localization might change it so that the two are named after their grandmothers, since they're all dead and stuff. I'm not saying it will happen, or that it should, I'm merely saying that it might.

You wanna know what's wrong with the name Crimson? It's not a fucking name, for one. Scarlett works, Rose, Ruby, sure, but Crimson? What is she,the lead of a new Pokemon game?

You sound very angry and hostile.

I have some ideas on which names may or may not be localized, but considering that I don't even understand why some of the names that are confirmed to be localized were even changed in the first place (Leon -> Leo, Tsubaki -> Subaki, Harold -> Arthur, shortening Kazahana and Suzukaze's names, HYDRA -> ANANKOS) I think it's better for my sanity if I didn't try to guess.

I was annoyed that he was talking to me like I was stupid or something. Any kid that went to high school knows at least the gist of freaking Hamlet. It's not exactly esoteric knowledge, let alone a clever reference.

It's not just this thread, but you seem to have a bit of a tendency for going off on people using confrontational language when you seem upset about something. Someone might be annoying you, but are you going to look any better if you go off on them even worse?

Edited by Sunwoo

It's not just this thread, but you seem to have a bit of a tendency for going off on people using confrontational language when you seem upset about something. Someone might be annoying you, but are you going to look any better if you go off on them even worse?

I admit I was a bit savage on that same sex marriage thread. But I thought I was pretty chill (comparatively) in my first response here. Bar one use of 'fucking', but that was more annoyance than anything serious. Crimson just ain't really a name, I just wanted to stress that point...

Crimson just ain't really a name, I just wanted to stress that point...

Hey, I come from a non-English speaking country, and I just heard a parent calling their child "Ruby" - I've also read about people changing their names to Flowerman and Wolfman. I think Crimson sounds decent at this point.

Edited by Thane

Hey, I come from a non-English speaking country, and I just heard a parent calling their child "Ruby" - I've also read about people changing their names to Flowerman and Wolfman. I think Crimson sounds decent at this point.

Well with names like that and someone named Jurrasic Park... I'm actually starting to warm up to Crimson...

I really hope Eponine and Ophelia keep their names, because of the references to Le Miserable and Shakespeare. Lazward is pretty much the only name I hope gets changed, because I simply don't like it.

Most of the name changes so far don't bother me, but I still don't understand why Leon's name was changed to Leo. I can't imagine it being for lip-syncing reasons because it's the same number of syllables and it just doesn't sound as good.

I really hope Eponine and Ophelia keep their names, because of the references to Le Miserable and Shakespeare. Lazward is pretty much the only name I hope gets changed, because I simply don't like it.

Most of the name changes so far don't bother me, but I still don't understand why Leon's name was changed to Leo. I can't imagine it being for lip-syncing reasons because it's the same number of syllables and it just doesn't sound as good.

My own personal guess is that it's to make it less "formal"

..Ironic since I feel Xander is a pretty formal name...though it could be subjective...

....Hmm..

I have some ideas on which names may or may not be localized, but considering that I don't even understand why some of the names that are confirmed to be localized were even changed in the first place (Leon -> Leo, Tsubaki -> Subaki, Harold -> Arthur, shortening Kazahana and Suzukaze's names, HYDRA -> ANANKOS) I think it's better for my sanity if I didn't try to guess.

iirc someone told me it was a joke and it was a reference to something (and it made a lot more sense), I want to say Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table but I really don't remember.

i said that earlier but hey repeating is fun

Leon's name doesn't allude to Communism at all, to me at least. I didn't immediately think of Leon Trotsky until some people pointed it out.

Because Lyon (though they should probably talk to 8-4 about the 2nd Arthur and Artur).

And they think we're idiots for some reason; I can pronounce "Tsunami" just fine, thank you.

I really don't think anyone would mix up Lyon and Leon. They have quite an obvious difference, even if they are pronounced the same. The fans wouldn't get confused by them as much as they do Arthur and Artur, imo.

also for the longest time I thought the monk from FE8 was named 'Arthur' until I learned of Harold's English name and I was like huh but didn't we have an Arthur already in FE8. to this day i still mix their names up.

Edited by RidellCrimea

lazward makes me think of Oswald I'm sorry

Zero's name has been confirmed to be the same? May I ask, where was that confirmation?

It should stay the same as it is a name meant to be by the masked hero Zorro. Making sense since his default class is Archer Adventurer.

You sound very angry and hostile.

Should be shortened as after reading their writings, you'd always call them yhose short names because their Japanese names are just too long to pronounce.

I admit I was a bit savage on that same sex marriage thread. But I thought I was pretty chill (comparatively) in my first response here. Bar one use of 'fucking', but that was more annoyance than anything serious. Crimson just ain't really a name, I just wanted to stress that point...

Crimson really isn't bad.

Her name will likely be something of a reference of of a savage wyvern name in our area.

Should be Oswald as Shadowness already pointed out!

My own personal guess is that it's to make it less "formal"

..Ironic since I feel Xander is a pretty formal name...though it could be subjective...

....Hmm..

Xandar is better than Marx's as it is more suitable for a Camus archtype.

I think the names Leon and Marx are changed to Leo and Xander respectively, to avoid sounding communist. Now there are jokes that the localization team is being too capitalistic.

I can see that for Marx, which is why I didn't include it as a name I didn't understand why it was localized. Leon, on the other hand, is relatively common enough so the first thing I think of when I see it on its own is not the communist. I think people mainly noticed the communist references because we already knew Marx's name first and that one is obvious.

I honestly prefer all of the localization changes in names so far. I originally didn't like the changes for Marx and Cyrus, but the English names have warmed up to me, and I greatly prefer Xander and Silas now. Even though I dislike the idea of a name change for Ophelia or Eponine (the latter especially), I'll probably be okay with it after like a day.

I really....really hate Corrin though. Like...im sorry but...i think its terrible. Unless they give us this explanation that he/she was given that name by Garon, it just sounds awful considering they were more or less supposed to be Hoshidan.

I also hate the change to Xander. The reason?

2b1f762f7bd445ca2aa3b1a1d010e542.png

Gods, i hated that show.

Why couldnt they have called him Max or Maximilian? That would have been so much cooler wow.

Well,

human Anankos wasn't Hoshidan (he was a dragon form Touma) and Mikoto was also from Touma

Yeah i know that, but considering:

Mikoto has a rather Hoshidan name and so does Shenmei. Aqua/Azura isnt so bad considering her hair color and her powers. But Corrin? Im not sure that would be the name Mikoto would have given her child. The name Kamui actually has a lot of meaning. What does Corrin even mean?