SPACE1: Winter Holiday Hullabaloo! Event Proposals and Discussion~all ideas welcome~

ErrantDShepherd

Serenes Spriting Forum Community Events discussion  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What events would you like to see put on? (Multiple Choice)

• Spotlights/Features on member, art or projects
    • Serenes Spriting Forum Community Interviews
    • Secret Santa 2015. :)
    • Awards? Achievements? Somehow without popularity contests?
    • ...other. (Please elaborate in thread reply)
    • Seasonal Community events (Halloween, Valentines, etc...)
    • Spriters Duel Showdown Challenge-SPRITE OFF!... Two spriters face off, one spriter wins.
    • Community Sprite Comics
    • Community Maps?
    • Monsters vs Man? Zombies vs Survivors?
    • The variety show. (Basically new theme/style of pixel art/spriting every comp?)

[02/10/2015 2:44:20 PM] The Errant Shepherd: So... was thinking, survival event

[02/10/2015 2:44:34 PM] The Errant Shepherd: Zombies or just... Monsters in general?

[02/10/2015 2:44:58 PM] The Errant Shepherd: Humanity/Survivors versus Monsters/Predators?

[02/10/2015 2:45:25 PM] The Errant Shepherd: Monsters/Zombies/undead etc?

[02/10/2015 2:45:31 PM] Lenh: whatever you want if you want to host~ I'm not feeling up to it

[02/10/2015 2:45:35 PM] The Errant Shepherd: K

[02/10/2015 2:45:45 PM] The Errant Shepherd: I can do it if you like.

[02/10/2015 2:45:48 PM] Lenh: figured I'd just use it as a Battle Sprite thing

[02/10/2015 2:45:57 PM] The Errant Shepherd: Think it sounds like a great event

[02/10/2015 2:46:01 PM | Edited 2:46:14 PM] Lenh: well it's if you feel like it, I feel pretty indifferent eitherwhichway

[02/10/2015 2:46:25 PM] The Errant Shepherd: Nah nah, been wanting to have a community event

[02/10/2015 2:46:33 PM] The Errant Shepherd: So... Good start. :)

added to the Poll.

-----

While we are at it, what I'd we put some of the comps on hiatus when we had seasonal events? Like "BBSS is on break for the month, try out the secret Santa."

Thought is to avoid competition burnout?

Speaking of which... BBSS needs some love. Has till Wednesday for entries. ;-;

Where is the maps comp too? Or the love child comp? :C

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That reminds me, back on FEND, and maybe it was on Spritez as well, we had our self-insert mugs or the character that represented us in a list that was posted and then every once in a while there'd be a sort of dress up contest. For example in October there'd be a Halloween theme and everyone would go and dress up their personal mug in the theme.

Just something fun to kill time.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I am working on a Batshep avatar myself.

Going back to some of those FESpritez comps... Had an idea for a new comp, the variety show.

The idea would be to avoid oversaturation of comps... And burnout... It would be a quarterly thing.

But basically something different each round for three rounds. :)

For sprites that all tie together.

Ie. Make custom splice mug. Next round make a battle sprite to match that mug. Next round remake mug from scratch/customize it.

Only issue with all these events is the lack of participation. Things go great the first few times they're up, since it's new and fresh, then interest starts to peter out as life takes over. We've also a relatively small community of active spriters, so the turnout rate tends to average roughly the same every time, and more or less all from the same spriters.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, consistent participation and avoiding burnout seem to be HUGE issues we have. :\

Question is what the answer to that is...

In the meantime, I will be trying to go forward with some of the ideas presented in this thread. :)

----

(Big shoutout to Smirks and General Ciraxis for helping me hash these out)

ErrantShepherd - Today 5:47 AM

> Btw, you see any of those ideas Smirks and I were talking about?

> Christmas/Winter event? Last Spriter Standing?

> Wanna quick summary?

Serenes Pixel Art Community Event 1: Winter Holiday Hullabaloo!

> K, so winter events atm 1) winter/holiday themed avatars 2) secret Santa sprite exchange 3) SF spriting community Christmas tree(make our own ornaments via sprites, pixel tree)...

LAST SPRITER STANDING

Lt. Smirks - Wednesday 8:55 PM

> it starts and anyone can join in making whatever the theme is and instead of choosing a winner you weed out the loser then move to the next round with the remnant. And you make something different each round like round 1 could be a mug splice, round 2 a battle still, moving up to harder things like full custom mugs and full animations.

> Last Spriter Standing

> ...basically start out with simpler category for first round that all participants vote on.

> Least votes drops out, next round is something more difficult, keep going till two are left... And then last spriter standing.