*SPOILERS* Inconsitencies With the Plot

CooledEvergreen

This is something that has bothered me since my first playthrough of FE13. It is implied that Lucina is the only child born in the current timeline (With some child units, it's outright stated). When a potential mother unit dies, they have a retreat quote, even when playing on Classic. When a potential father dies, (With a few exceptions) they actually die. Because of these two points, say if I had Stahl marry Lissa and I have recruited Owain. If Stahl were to die and I did not reset, shouldn't Owain just poof out of exsistence, due to the grandfather paradox? Or does that actually happen, and I haven't noticed?

Because the recruited/playable Stahl and Lissa aren't really Owain's parents. It's the Stahl/Lissa (who were alive for the birth) from the original timeline

You make a good point, but I still think that it's at least weird that, apart from Yarne, none of them care about them not exsisting due to meddeling with the timeline.

Time paradoxes are basically unavoidable with this type of story. I mean with this logic, Lucina helps save the day, and then she never grew up in a post-apocalyptic world, which means she never time traveled to begin with, right?

But like already stated, the children are basically from an alternative timeline, not just "the future."

Time paradoxes are basically unavoidable with this type of story. I mean with this logic, Lucina helps save the day, and then she never grew up in a post-apocalyptic world, which means she never time traveled to begin with, right?

But like already stated, the children are basically from an alternative timeline, not just "the future."

Lucina never fully lived her life in her original timeline. I don't think that's really a paradox.

Awakening's time travel seems similar to DBZ's time travel, in that changing Chrom' timeline does not change Lucina's original timeline. It only creates a better future for Chrom's timeline. It's as if both live in different worlds.

Lucina never fully lived her life in her original timeline. I don't think that's really a paradox.

If her reason for going back was nullified, then she would have never travelled back. I don't know what the fullness of her life has to do with it.

If her reason for going back was nullified, then she would have never travelled back. I don't know what the fullness of her life has to do with it.

Her reason to go back in time was never nullified. She saved the second timeline; she never saved her original timeline. Grima annihilated that one, and it will never come back. Defeating Grima in the playable timeline didn't save her original one.

There's a time split, folks. Changing things in the player's timeline has no effect whatsoever on Lucina's timeline.

If anything, the only inconsistency is that the mothers retreat instead of being killed in Classic, because their being alive or dead has no bearing on whether or not their future children exist. Them retreating doesn't cause any problems in and of itself, but it's misleading and leads to questions like these.

There's a time split, folks. Changing things in the player's timeline has no effect whatsoever on Lucina's timeline.

If anything, the only inconsistency is that the mothers retreat instead of being killed in Classic, because their being alive or dead has no bearing on whether or not their future children exist. Them retreating doesn't cause any problems in and of itself, but it's misleading and leads to questions like these.

They retreat because if they marry but fall in battle before their childs paralogue is unlocked/began, their appearance in the paralogue wouldn't make sense.

If anything, they should have let the paralogues open up as you play the game after chapter 13 if you choose not to marry specific characters for reasons, because the paralogues only open up because mother marries father, when over here is Chrom who has the privilage of having a daughter without needing to marry somebody in the army. THE FATHER DOESN'T NEED TO BE IN THE ARMY YA KNOW.

They retreat because if they marry but fall in battle before their childs paralogue is unlocked/began, their appearance in the paralogue wouldn't make sense.

That's true, I forgot about that. It's still misleading, though. And they could have just cut the dialogue, like they do in FP if the children die.

The real inconsistency that bugs me is the one involving Grima's revival.

"I need the Fire Emblem to revive"

"Hah! You don't have the Fire Emblem!"

"Jokes on you, I can revive anyway!"

"Wait what?"

Grima did what was necessary with the Emblem for revival before it was stolen, the Emblem itself isn't the problem.

What is a problem, though, is that it was done without the Gemstones, since Basilio stole the real ones (nevermind the inconsistencies with FE3's lore, Awakening stops being defendable when you try to fit it in with past FEs).

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

Grima did what was necessary with the Emblem for revival before it was stolen, the Emblem itself isn't the problem.

What is a problem, though, is that it was done without the Gemstones, since Basilio stole the real ones (nevermind the inconsistencies with FE3's lore, Awakening stops being defendable when you try to fit it in with past FEs).

Grima didn't need the Fire Emblem. He managed to free his sealed body even though Validar failed to finish the ritual. Which raises the question of what made Grima bother to hunt for present Robin, the FE, and the gems over freeing his sealed body ASAP then later sacking Ylisse.

inb4 why does Lucina's Falchon go sparkle sparkle

If you refer to the glow, then people theorize that it happens when the future has been changed, or that events that will alter history are taking place now, or something like that...

Grima didn't need the Fire Emblem. He managed to free his sealed body even though Validar failed to finish the ritual. Which raises the question of what made Grima bother to hunt for present Robin, the FE, and the gems over freeing his sealed body ASAP then later sacking Ylisse.

Robin is the most important member of the army, perhaps even moreso than Chrom.

Grima wasn't able to come out until after Validar becomes Plegia's new king, and by then Robins influential tactics were well known. Plus, Robin could potentially kill Grima for good, so yeah Robin is even more important than Mr. I-can-seal-Grima-for-only-1000-years.

If Grima could get rid of this bigger threat, not only does he severely cripple the Ylissians and send them into despair (which seems to be pretty important I guess), but he also makes it so that he can't be killed, not without another time traveling on Lucina's part.