Someone tell me if this is a good idea?

Knight

So I've just started up again in university and the subject of my English class is Lord of the Rings. I'm excited to read, but this is a very long and intimidating text, so I'm considering buying an (unabridged) audio book. I'm just wondering if you guys think this would be a good idea, because anyway I go about it, the audio book's expensive, and I'd have to buy it on top of the solid version to keep track of page numbers. Also, has anyone else used an audio book in a similar situation and could tell me what they experienced? (as far as results are concerned)

I was not in the situation, but I know that I couldn't do it because I don't have to fully concentrate on the text. If you read it yourself, your whole mind is focused on the text. When you're listening to an audiobook, you generally do other things besides it, be it driving, walking around town or even just watching things. Considering you need to read it for an literature class, you should choose the option that grants the text most of your concentration.

If you are going to have to buy both it would make more sense to just read the book. I had an audio book of the first Harry Potter book as a kid and I liked it, but after I actually read the book myself I never went back to audio books. I really enjoyed reading TLOTR when I read them because my mom made me read them before seeing the movies and some of the lines in Return of the King I will always remember and I don't think that they would have had as big of an impact on me if I had just heard them said and not read them for myself.

I was just hoping to save some time. I've only ever listened to one audiobook a long time ago, but I figured I could do something on my commutes as well, but the general consensus I get is that it really wouldn't be a good idea, so I think I won't.

Edited by Knight

NO.

Part of the magic of Tolkein is his diction. I got through those books when I was 13 (and very much a moron). It takes some focus, but try to picture what he's saying in your mind.