What are your favorite aspects of Pokémon?

Tamanoir

32 members have voted

1. 1. What do you like the most in Pokémon ?

• The competitive battle
    • Exploring the world
    • Traveling with your Pokémon
    • The Pokémon Contests
    • Learning about the lore
    • Capturing every Pokémon
    • Other
  2. 2. What do you like the most in Pokémon ? (2)

• Listening to the music
    • The story
    • Collecting stuff
    • Forming a bond with your Pokémon
    • Searching for Shinies
    • Hatching eggs

I don't know if we had already a topic in this subject, but I think it could be interresting to discuss about what we like in Pokémon

Pokémon are pretty vast games, and there is many different things to love in them.

I put the ideas that I had in mind in the poll, but some may be quite similar and I probably forgot many.
If you have some other proposition to adds, please feels free.

As for me, I like to explore the world with the Pokémons that I trained.

I like the Lore about the legendary, but prefer to use the Pokémon I trained myself because it's more satisfying.

It's always a fun time going through the adventure and talking with everyone.

Discovering new place, capturing all the Pokémon I encounter (I don't go for full Pokédex however).

While I like to read abut competitive battle, I'm not that much of a fan.I found it quite tedious, and not really fun.

And you, why do you like Pokémon ?

Edited by Tamanoir

While I don't play pokemon anymore, I always liked catching them six pokemon and training them and beating the Elite 4 with them.i always found a sense of pride when I would see the Hall of Fame and watch the credits role.Every pokemon I ever used always has a place in my heart.

I also really liked the whole 'Catch em' all!' thing.Even though you really can't do it without the need of other games it was still fun to try and do.(And I did succeed in my Pokemon Yellow and Pokemon Crystal, which I still have today even though Crystal does not work anymore)

I picked exploring the world, traveling with Pokemon, capturing every Pokemon, and other (because I also like things like following a story and such). I typically like these things in games I play and Pokemon nails it. Plus the Pokemon look cool a lot of the time. And I like to collect stuff in games, so I'm always trying to collect everything I can. :P

Before the Elite 4, I really love to catch new pokémon, give them some stupid creative ​names and creating bonds with them, while I see the landscapes, learn about the lore and meet new trainers and new evil teams.

You could have added "Search for shinies like a crazy", because that's what I do after beating the Elite 4.

To search for shinies and to complete the pokédex are the hardest things in the game (creating a competive team is also very hard), and I really like challenges. That's why I like to spend my time raising and trading Pokémon in the GTS.

I like competitive battles; although I don´t do it much anymore.. I enjoy it the most with just raising a Pokémon and having a bond (ik it isn´t real but the feels man)

I kinda put this in traveling with your pokémon, but it could deserve its own option, since it's quite different.

the music

it's not why I like the game but it's definitely my favorite aspect

I picked exploring the world, traveling with Pokemon, capturing every Pokemon, and other (because I also like things like following a story and such). I typically like these things in games I play and Pokemon nails it. Plus the Pokemon look cool a lot of the time. And I like to collect stuff in games, so I'm always trying to collect everything I can. :P

Oh yeah, I forgot those things. (and I also love the music. It's why RSE/ORAS are in my favourite after all.)

I thought about collecting Pokémon, but not the items.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions

I'm going to add them in the poll later.

^Yeah, that's true too. I actually got myself some high IV Pokemon (through both catching and breeding) for once in AS, Super Trained them, and then I finally beat a Chatelaine in the Battle Maison!

Edited by Anacybele

I like all the aspects of Pokemon to a degree, but I always get excited to see a new world.

It brings back memories when I first traveled Kanto and Johto when I was a kid.

• 4 weeks later...

For a long time, Pokémon was probably the one that I enjoyed consistently throughout all of the Nintendo franchises. Even during the times I didn't play, I did follow official announcements, and I also occasionally watch the anime. So what was great:

With some exceptions, the reality of the world it is based on.

The very fact that Pokémon's geography didn't start out willy-nilly like other Nintendo games is something special. Sure, Earthbound may be another game that is based on our modern, realistic world, but Pokémon pushed this further by actually basing their regions from real-life Japan, USA, and France. This is why I love XY and GSC for actually creating a region that is as fantastic as necessary, but as realistic as possible. (It is also the reason why RSE/ORAS is the game (and the only game) that I dislike.)

The balance of the story

As a child, I found it simple enough to be approachable, unlike Fire Emblem. I guess, with some exceptions, I generally like lighter games, and I only started to appreciate deeper stories like Fire Emblem later in my life. (I was in middle school when I first started to play my first FE game, which was Binding Blade.) On the other hand, it is also potentially deep - I have been running a series of headcanons over at Bulbapedia, because the simplicity of the story allows this.

(For example see one of my headcanons at Bulbapedia here: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/blogs/72744/category2042/ )

Not having the stupidity of Mario also helps - everyone is competent in one way or another. (This can also be potentially said for the majority of FE Characters too.)

Misty and Kris (Sorry Lilina and Caeda)

Witnessing the first female main characters that is anything other than a damsel in distress, AND that is not Samus, was really refreshing. Caeda (FE) and Paula (Earthbound), I only got to know later on. Lilina was obviously not around until FE Elibe came out, which I think was right before Pokémon RSE. At the time of Pokémon GSC's release, I didn't even know about Fire Emblem, and I only heard the name for Earthbound, and only started playing after the GBA remake came out. Zelda only caught my appreciation since Twilight Princess (and her Flaming!Light Arrows were awesome). Peach I actually have a hate towards - for still being an largely incompetent damsel even after Smash Melee came out, and despite this continue appearing in later Smash games when there are better female characters.

Ash Misty and Brock

While I won't deny that the anime has ended up with problems with its story and characters later on, you gotta admit, who didn't enjoy watching Ash, Misty, and Brock going around Kanto (and maybe Johto too)? I'd be kidding myself if I said that the anime didn't introduce me Pokémon. At least it is in a separate continuity to the game, and there's the Special manga for more mature audiences so you can switch over easily once the anime loses your charm, and let TV Tokyo do their job of introducing the franchise to the children around the world.

Edited by henrymidfields

• 4 weeks later...

It's not just Pokemon I like, but the monster-catching subgenre in general. Pokemon, Dragon Quest Monsters, Keitai Denjuu Telefang, you name it.

Simply put, I like the freedom of choice. The ability to choose what team you put together, allowing for so many options. Do you go for a weaker Pokemon you get early on, or do you go for a stronger one later, but leave an empty slot in your party for most of the game? Do you choose a team of 6 before the playthrough, or do you constantly switch team members through the playthrough? Do you use the ones you like, or do you chose the statistic cream of the crop? It adds a ton of the replayability value too. Couple that with memorable characters, an expansive world, amazing music, great post-game content, and so much multiplayer compatibility, and you have a recepie for one of my favorite RPG series of all time.

Traveling around the world with your Pokémon, and the lore!

Although my favorite part about the games isn't listed there. It's the innocence and the nonsense of it all. I find it refreshing to be in a world where the vast majority of people are good and willing to help you.

The characters and the music.

I also like the idealistic setting, where most people are good and how things are settled with Pokemon battles rather than shoot-em-ups like way too many other settings. I like how antagonists like Cyrus and Ghetsis can be threatening without pointing a gun at the player's head, but your journey is about collecting and training cute little critters, collecting badges, filling the Pokedex, performing in contests/movies/musicals etc. rather than "save the world from evil villain de jour". I like how beautiful and creative many of the locations can be too.

"our journey is about collecting and training cute little critters, collecting badges, filling the Pokedex, performing in contests/movies/musicals etc. rather than "save the world from evil villain de jour"."

This

This is exactly why i don't get why many Pokemon fan games/rom hacks like to make dipz and edgeyz story and sell it as a nostalgic pokemon experience. I mean I don't dislike them per-se but the core enjoyment of playing pokemon is the simplicity of the setting.

"our journey is about collecting and training cute little critters, collecting badges, filling the Pokedex, performing in contests/movies/musicals etc. rather than "save the world from evil villain de jour"."

This

This is exactly why i don't get why many Pokemon fan games/rom hacks like to make dipz and edgeyz story and sell it as a nostalgic pokemon experience. I mean I don't dislike them per-se but the core enjoyment of playing pokemon is the simplicity of the setting.

Exactly. I stay right away from those rom hacks, I play Pokemon partly to get away from all that. I have mixed feelings about how more the villainous teams are being more connected to the story in the later games. I loved N as a character and how his story worked with Pokemon's main theme of collecting and living with cute fire-breathing critters but Team Flare was abysmal and I hated Lysandre blathering about real-world issues that had nothing to do with how things actually were in Kalos. Team Flare were a mess and they can keep their mass-murder machines out of Pokemon.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire