Issues with (some specific) USB devices disconnecting predictably

Integrity

cross-posting this from another forum i live on because i just don't even know anymore and some of you guys are smarter than me :(

I've been having a pretty persistent issue with USB headsets disconnecting and then reconnecting extremely predictably for the last few months. Basically if I'm in any kind of vox call (Skype or Steam or whatever doesn't matter, the microphone just has to be live as far as I can tell) and I adjust the volume my speakers, the headset vanishes from Windows' devices and totally cuts off, then reconnects a half second later. Usually, that's the end of it and everything carries on; sometimes it pulses through that cycle once or twice more. More recently, if I exit any fullscreen program, the headset will go into a spiral of disconnect-reconnect-disconnect- for a totally random length. I've seen it do it three times, twenty times, and "i gave up and restarted the call after a minute, which fixed it."

This was annoying but came to a head yesterday when my controller started doing the same nonsense when I was playing Rocket League. I'd hit any buttons, it would work fine, but then a few seconds later the controller would disconnect. Unlike the headset, it didn't reconnect immediately; it took between 5 seconds and, well, never to reconnect. Now, I don't have to be running anything - just hitting any buttons on the controller makes it disconnect and immediately reconnect. Until yesterday, this problem hadn't affected any of my other USB devices, and my speakers/mouse/keyboard remain totally unaffected regardless of the situation (fingers crossed).

Things that have not fixed the problem:

- Updating the softwares that seemed attached to the problem (Skype, etc)

- Moving to a new hard drive with Windows 10 installed instead of Windows 7

- Different USB headsets

- Different copies of the same USB headset (unrelated: the same headset works on my other machine)

- Different USB ports

- Disconnecting other USB devices

- Connecting more USB devices

- Flashing BIOS

- Turning off selective suspend

- Turning on selective suspend

I'm at my wit's end here. It seems like a hardware problem (PSU, maybe?) at this point but the symptoms are entirely too specific and too replicable for me to go "oh yeah i got to drop money on this component and." All temperatures/power draw/etc specs are within tolerances according to CPU-Z, and none of this affects or is affected by computer performance - it'll happen identically running both EU4 and GW2 at the same time plus background processes, or when the only things I have open are Skype and Firefox.

Here's a link to my dxdiag dump, any other information is readily available on request.

Edited by Integrity