3 turn clear strategy for Chapter 12

ruadath

A couple of weeks ago, Espinosa/MoogleBoss suggested that I investigate a possible 3-turn clear strategy for Chapter 12 in HHM. I finally got around to working on this last night, and much to my surprise, I've found that it actually seems very doable!

While both of us initially believed that such a clear would involve rigging a ton of crits for Hector in the north, I actually only need two criticals from Hector against the Hand Axe brigand and the boss, just like the 4 turn clear! The only problem that I have run into so far is the fact that after crit-killing Zagan on EP3, Hector needs to one shot the (final) PK who attacks him. In order to do this, he needs 3 procs of Str from his base; while the first two are easy to get and come along the way, it would require burning at least 100 RNs to find a spot in the RNG where Zagan misses, Hector hits and criticals, and gains Str (and it might not even be a good level).

However, I think this problem can be easily remedied by getting Hector to level 3 in Chapter 11. In that case he hits level 4 with ease before facing Zagan, and hopefully have the stats to take him and the PK down without any trouble.

I'll let you guys know once I've gotten around to finishing this!

Edited by ruadath

OK, so the 3 turn clear was a success! I didn't have to level Hector again in Chapter 11; in fact, that would have proved unhelpful since it would have caused his Hand Axe attack to send PKs into retreat mode, which would have made killing everything in time much harder, if not impossible.

Unfortunately, I have classes starting in a bit, so I won't be able to post the playthrough until later tonight! But this is exciting news!

EDIT: Perhaps I should also note that Zagan was the only enemy who was crit killed! Every other enemy was killed through regular means.

Edited by ruadath

Sorry for the delay in getting something up; I've been testing an alternate strategy. That being said, I've now got 2 clears of Chapter 11+12 in 9 turns (no Lyn Mode). The key differences are summarized below:

Playthrough #1:

825 EXP, 31832G

Lv 5 Hector: 23 HP, 10 Str, 6 Skl, 8 Spd, 6 Luck, 10 Def, 1 Res

27/30 Wolf Beil

5/20 Hand Axe

Lv 3 Matthew: 19 HP, 5 Str, 5 Skl, 12 Spd, 3 Luck, 3 Def, 0 Res

19/20 Silver Lance

Rebecca visited village

Serra healed only once

EXP split mostly evenly, although Bartre and Dorcas (50 or above) got a bit more than Eliwood and Lowen (below 50)

Playthrough #2:

806 EXP, 31519G

Lv 5 Hector: 23 HP, 11 Str, 7 Skl, 7 Spd, 4 Luck, 9 Def, 1 Res

25/30 Wolf Beil

9/20 Hand Axe

Lv 3 Matthew: 19 HP, 4 Str, 5 Skl, 11 Spd, 3 Luck, 4 Def, 0 Res

20/20 Silver Lance

Dorcas visited village

Serra healed twice

Lowen got most of southern EXP (75), Eliwood same as above, Rebecca and Bartre sub 20

Marcus took an extra kill.

Which one would you guys prefer to see? I'm leaning toward the first one, though I'm not entirely sure... I think the first one edges out slightly due to a better balanced Hector, a strong Matthew, and slight leads in both EXP and G. The only thing it is really lacking is a little bit of staff EXP for Serra, combat EXP for Lowen, and Hector's Hand Axe is badly damaged.

Let me know what you prefer and I'll post that one!

Under what criteria are you comparing these two? Your ranked LTC thing? I'd take the second personally just because getting Lowen EXP is more valuable.

Plz post video of strat.

Edited by Irysa

OK cool, I'll try getting YouTube videos up for both strategies (haven't done this before so it might take me a small while). I should note that the two strategies require different things to go on in Chapter 11, therefore I will be including that as well.

Actually, I've got a new playthrough which seems to address the concerns that you guys (might) have:

Playthrough 3:

839 EXP, 31715G

Lv 5 Hector: 23 HP, 10 Str, 6 Skl, 7 Spd, 5 Luck, 11 Def, 1 Res

27/30 Wolf Beil

5/20 Hand Axe

Full Silver Lance, but 39/40 Rapier

Dorcas visited village

Serra healed only once

Lowen at 75 EXP, Eliwood at 87, Bartre and Rebecca at ~20

Marcus didn't take an extra kill.

The Rapier can be not used at the expense of Lowen taking the final kill instead of Eliwood, although this forces him to get a level with only HP, Luck, and Def, which is probably counterporductive to the idea of giving him extra EXP. This also saves 142G at the cost of 3 EXP, I think.

Please let me know if you guys would prefer to see this one.

Sorry about the delay in posting. I've realized since that while these playthroughs are probably good for my Max Tactician Star run, for the LTC (ranked or not), I should prioritize EXP gain over weapon usage, meaning that if a Rapier crit or a Silver Lance OHKO can be used to save RNs and reduce the number of kills Marcus has to make (and thus increase EXP), it's probably very much worth it.

Hopefully I'll get around to optimizing soon!

OK, so I've now got two playthroughs that are very much superior to my original runs of the chapter. They are both pretty much the same, except for a slight change in Chapter 11 which affects a combat event and level up in Chapter 12. Anyway, here is what both playthroughs have in common:

Rebecca visits the village

Marcus takes only 1 kill!

Rapier used once, Silver Lance used once!

Southern Hand Axe down to 17 uses.

Lowen at 84 EXP, Bartre at 77, Eliwood at 67, Dorcas at 39

As for the differences,

Playthrough #1: 895 EXP, 31696G

Lv 5 Hector: 23 HP, 10 Str, 6 Skl, 7 Spd, 5 Luck, 11 Def, 1 Res

27/30 Wolf Beil

5/20 Hand Axe

Serra heals once

Playthrough #2: 908 EXP, 31336G

Lv 5 Hector: 23 HP, 11 Str, 7 Skl, 7 Spd, 3 Luck, 10 Def, 1 Res

25/30 Wolf Beil

9/20 Hand Axe

Serra heals twice

Matthew has an extra kill worth of EXP here, Hector has a bit less than in the other playthrough.

Despite only having a 13 EXP lead over the first playthrough at the cost of 360G, there is something I like a bit better about the second one. Having Matthew with more EXP means he hits level 4 sooner in Chapter 13, which might be nice. In addition, extra staff EXP for Serra, a few more Hand Axe uses (I probably won't be able to buy more until Pirate Ship), and an extra point of Str and Skl for Hector (at the expense of 2 points in Luck and a point in Def) might just be enough to compensate for it.

Let me know which one you guys would prefer to see (or both), and I should have them up by the end of today or tomorrow!

Could you at least put game speed on max if you're going to leave animations on? They move so slowly even when watching at 2x speed. :(

Nice job on 3-turning Ch12.

Looks neat; but for your Max Tactician Star run you going to be alright later on with out the trips to the shops? Or can you sort all that out on the trip to Laus?

If I incorporate this into the Max Tactician Star run (I don't yet know if I'll be not lazy enough to restart), I'll definitely be able to buy what I need from the Caelin shops. As for the Ranked LTC, well... I guess I'll most likely have to wait it out until Pirate Ship.

I guess I should note that if I do use this in the MTS, I'll probably consider one of the other playthroughs where I have Marcus taking more kills, since my goal there is to just barely get over 550 EXP (here I got something like 660).

Yes, the speed on the game or the animations off would be nice, thank you.

Sorry about that guys, I didn't realize this was a issue! (first time posting videos of FE on YouTube for me). I'll try to fix that in future videos; or would you like me to reupload the current ones?