A Vente FE8 w/ FE6 Spice Frappuccino [FE8 Reskin]

Pink 0mega

Hello everybody, I present to you another FE8 hack to be added to the pile of reskins! This is a simple project I have done where I have ported most of the FE6 unto FE8. Why would I do this? Honestly this is just something I've been using to get use to hacking and to kill time whenever college gives me a little too much breathing space. Why should you play this? No real reason if reskins aren't in your particular neighborhood, otherwise maybe some of the changes I've mentioned in the Change log might pique your interest.

Look forward to the first patch in the next week or two!

Hope you all enjoy your pumpkin spice frappuccinos in the mean time :Pent:

[spoiler=Gameplay and Aesthetic Changes]-FE6/FE7 mugs are recolored to use FE8 colors!
-Pegasus Trio hair colors now reference the three goddesses from the Legend of Zelda
-Legendary Weapons have infinite uses now (but decreased power and increased weight, may also remove monster slaying properties)
-Rogue is now Trickster (using Eli's lord animation, and an increase in movement)
-Generals forgot how to use swords
-Wyvern Riders trade Lances for Axes
-Wyvern Lords trade Swords for Axes
-Dancers use swords
-Roy's promotion now uses Knight Lord animations (may also learn lances)
-Several name changes among the classes
-Hector(Fado), Eliwood(Hayden), and Lyn(Ismaire) use their FE7 portraits (and are described as einherharhabalajabala or however spell the name for those Duel Monsters cards)
-Female myrmidons and female swordmasters now use Lyn's lord and blade lord animations.
-No trainees
-Dragonstone can easily be bought but Fa may be nerfed
-Numerous renumbers for the uses of weapons

-All weapons have descriptions! (Iron weapons need love)

[spoiler=Story Changes SPOILERS]

-Since it is reskinning FE8, FE6's story and world will try and fit in. Hopefully.

-Eirika Lilina is getting more of the spotlight as the main lord (I guess good news due to the general consensus of Roy being a shit lord)

-In addition, for now I'll only be balancing/rewriting Eirika Lilina Route

Locale changes:

-Jehanna Sacae has dried and become a dessert

Character Changes:

-Wade: A mercernary hired by Grado. Lott's most trusted friend. For a mercernary, justice comes to those with a price tag on their head. Sadly, Wade and Lott were called upon to enact the justice that had been placed upon Lilina's head.

-Lott: A mercernary hired by Grado. Wade's most trusted friend. Word of Wade's death had traveled quickly to Lott, followed by news of his murderer coming to meet him next. He fights now not for the gold.

-Gonzalez: Garrett's secondhand man in his raider crew, Phantom. Gonzalez was always ridiculed for his low intellect and ugly demeanor, but Garrett

-Wolt: Roy's most trusted spy and milk brother. Wolt was requested by Roy to inform Lord Hector on his assault on TotallyNotRenvall, but on his way back he witnessed Sue get abducted by bandits, knowing Sue's status, he believed he could trust in himself to sneak her out of the Bandit Stronghold so Lilina would not have to put her or the rest of her squad in danger.

[spoiler=To-do List]

- Write up the Story Changes

-Clean up mugs whose colors didn't transition well (Echidna's shirt, Shin and Sue's Shoulder pads, etc.)

-Blinking Frames

-Make the script seem less of a carbon copy of FE8's story

-Indepth balancing for at least Lilina's route

[spoiler=Characters Replaced]Eirika - Lilina
Seth - Zealot
Gilliam - Bors Trec
Franz - Noah
Moulder - Elphin Saul
Vanessa - Thany
Ross - Fir
Neimi - Sue
Colm - Shin Wolt
Garcia - Bartre
Innes - Klein
Lute - Clarine Igrene
Natasha - Ellen Clarine
Cormag - Miledy
Ephraim - Roy
Forde - Allen
Kyle - Lance
Amelia - Wendy
Artur - Saul Lugh
Gerick - Deker
Tethys - Lalum
Marisa - Echidna
Saleh - Hugh
Ewan - Lugh Raigh
Larchel - Cecilia
Dozla - Douglas
Rennac - Percival
Duessel - Murdock
Myrh - Fa
Knoll - Raigh Sophia
Joshua - Rutger
Syrene - Juno
Tana - Tate
Selena - Brunya
Valter - Narshen
Riev - Nergal
Glen - Gale
Hayden - Eliwood
Fado - Hector
Ishmaire - Lyndis
Supply - Merlinus

Oneil - Wade
Breguet - Lott
Bone - Gonzalez
Bazba - Garret
Zonta - Ogier
Tirado - Leygance
Carlyle - Rath

[spoiler=Vigarde]Zephiel

[spoiler=Caellach]Karel

[spoiler=Orson]Marcus

[spoiler=Lyon]Zpehyr (Zephiel's son)

[spoiler=Morva]Idoun

[spoiler=Reskins and Recolors]

3TBuzg4.jpg

[spoiler=Credits]

Tools:

-Hextator's FEditor

-Nightmare and it's module developers
Animations:

-Hero w/ Coat Armor (Creator unknown)

-Hawkzerker (The Blind Archer)

-Wyvern Ride w/ Axe (eCut and Kitty of Time)

-Wyvern Lord w/ Axe (The Blind Archer)

-Eliwood Slash Sword Attack (Princess Kilvas/Ninja Pichu/Mizuti for sprite, Spud for animation in FEditor)

-FE 7/8 Zephiel (shadowofchaos, bonestorm, Lawliet)

EDIT: First patch that still needs a lot work, but playable to an extent.

[spoiler=DL Link]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B01UlNqIwgfJUlR6Zl81MkdrWHc/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Pink 0mega

Weird pegasus sister hair color aside (I know you explained it, but it still looks odd to me), the recolors are amazing. Lyn's hair seems a bit too light, but that's about it. Some of FE6's hair shading problems are really apparent (BORS), but that's not your fault.

The three things that sorta-bug me:

1. I'd like to think Zephiel wouldn't give his kid a name that sounds like a homage to himself.

2. Unless Saul drops the staff for light magic, Chapter 4 will feature two recruitable staffbots, and that's going to suck for Chapter 6.

3. There's a good reason why there's only one dancer/bard per game. One of the FE8 Randomizer LPers did a good illustration of why. Weird as this will sound, I'd replace Elphin with Astohl. You don't have any recruitable thieves, unless you plan on messing with everyone's classes. This also leaves the issue of "WHERE ARE MY STAFFBOTS?!", but there's two that are recruited one after the other, so eh. Lastly, I nominate Niime over Hugh as Saleh, and Hugh over Lugh as Ewan. . .because it's funnier story-wise.

I appreciate the critique! I probably might mess around with the pegasus hair colors (as i want to give both their mugs and battle sprites more uniqueness as to make sure we're not getting the same pegasus flier with 3 different stats). Lyn makes me mad, since a large majority of FE8 colors are too green or too blue. The hair problem, I wish I was skilled enough to properly fix those but I'll probably give it a go after the first patch.

[spoiler=In response to your insects]

1. Pretty much a filler name for now, as reviving Desmond and having Zephiel be Roy and Lilina's BFF would be kinda weird.

2. Saul's a monk

3. Pretty much all of the characters will be adopting the person they replace's class (Elphin -> priest, Shin -> thief, etc.) with exception of Fir(Myrmidon) and Echidna(Hero). I probably might rearrange who replaces along the lines of (saul - moulder, lugh - artur, chad - colm, etc)

I like the rearranged order in point 3 of the spoilers. It makes a lot more sense.

Bandanna aside, I can't imagine Shin picking locks and jacking things. Colm's antics sound like something Chad would do, though.

@eclipse: 3. Those were just suggested changes I might make, now I'm playing around with simple splicing so characters may look closer to the class they're replacing. OH! And I fixed a Lyn's hair a while back (same color as Sue's) I guess I forgot to export it when showing the characters.

@Anouleth: I've decided to use Eliwood's Lord class to replace the rogue animation (since it looks rather Trickstery) and Percival's mug kind of matches the change now. I want to try and find a place for Igrene (and Sophia) but we'll see. Trec might make it in if the rework I've done to Bors' hair is unsatisfactory (so gotta splice Trec to have armor)

[spoiler=Bors got a new haircut, Sue looks like someone's daughter now, and Wolt replaces Shin(Colm)]

rWIwe91.png

Edited by Pink 0mega

Bors - That is a really nice haircut!

Sue - Her bangs/sideburns are overshaded (that's FE6's fault again).

Wolt - Looks much better with those colors!

Perhaps you could shove some of the unused characters in houses/villages, and make a note that they're not recruitable?

@Celice: Recoloring animations? Yup! I'll probably start from scratch, since the FE6 palettes will probably be too dated. I may implement the FE6 weapon stats just to add another degree to difficulty (so at least Sacred Stones will be trickier before hitting an arena or tower of valni. Though I do want to implent the Midori's patch of difficulty that they added to those two.)

@eclipse: I think I could find some left over character data (like Saleh's grandmother or Nate) just to squeeze in a couple of characters. I did add a couple of characters being evil or put in a situation where they have to fight against (ie. maybe having Gonzalez replacing the boss in the chapter where you get Wolt(Colm) and Sue(Neimi) )

[spoiler=More Progress]

4RcbGcN.png

[spoiler=Rearranged/Replaced Characters]

Gilliam -> Bors Trec
Moulder -> Elphin Saul
Colm -> Shin Wolt
Artur -> Saul Lugh
Lute -> Clarine Igrene
Natasha -> Ellen Clarine
Ewan -> Lugh Raigh
Knoll -> Raigh Sophia

[spoiler=Rearranged/Replaced Characters Explained and plot spoilers]

Bors(Gilliam) -> Trec: Even with a new haircut, I just don't like Bors. Plus, now it makes more sense for Noah to show up with Trec.

Shin(Colm) -> Wolt: Wolt is now Roy's most trusted spy. Sue was captured by bandits while fleeing from Jehanna Sacae, with Wolt informing Lilina then going ahead to recon the base. Sue was able to escape by the time Lilina's forces arrive, but caused a ruckus, making it hard for Wolt to escape and forcing Lilina's group to engage in battle.)

Clarine(Lute) -> Igrene: Not sure how big her role was in the original FE6, but now she investigates monster Risen sightings, joining Lilina's forces to help stop the Risen's forces from growing.

Ellen(Natasha) -> Clarine: I hate Ellen's design. Just ew.

Raigh(Knoll) -> Sophia: Not sure what her role was in FE6 either, but she feels better in replacing Knoll rather then Raigh

Edited by Pink 0mega

Woah, Deke looks great.

Sue looks a little too much like Lyn, I know what you're trying to do, but children often don't look identical to their parents. Perhaps get rid of the strands of hair covering her ears and make her eyes smaller?

Woah, Deke looks great.

Sue looks a little too much like Lyn, I know what you're trying to do, but children often don't look identical to their parents. Perhaps get rid of the strands of hair covering her ears and make her eyes smaller?

Yup, now his allies won't get stunned by his glorious muskles

I barely can splice, so I don't know if I can do that kind of fine tuning. Still, I think it looks much better than how Sue originally looked.

I barely can splice, so I don't know if I can do that kind of fine tuning.

52HgMC1.png

Editing eyes is actually one of the best ways to make a splice not look like the sum of its components. All you really have to do to make the eyes smaller is move the bottom part of the eyes up, move the eyes back down to where they were to compensate for it, and fix things up. Eyes are really fun to edit because they're so small that changing just a few pixels changes their entire look.

Honestly, I thought that FE6's vanilla Sue looks pretty sufficiently like the child of Lyn and Rath (Rath's tiny eyes + Lyn's big ones), but seeing different people's takes on FE characters is more interesting!

Re:Igrene and Sophia, I only recall both of them being from Arcadia (/Nabata), so stick them in the Grado/Jehanna area? I've always liked the idea of swapping the entire cast of characters between FE games: I'll keep an eye on this.

You hate Elen? Awww... But the obvious solution is to turn her into an assassin! [shot]

Edited by Alusq

I like all of the changes save for one...

yunomakeidounplayabletoo?!

I'm sowwie senpai T-T Since I made Gale(Glen) and Brunya(Selena) playable in the main campaign, I'm trying to figure out how to edit their Creature Campaign counter parts ( if they are coded differently) so I can fit in more characters.

Edited by Pink 0mega

• 4 weeks later...

Status Report! So far, all the animations and balancing has been done, all I need to finish up left is the script. College and work are all really doing a number on me, but hopefully I can try and squeeze in a couple of hours into this hack here and there to finish this damn thing. Sorry to everyone (if anyone) waiting on this but all I need left is the Script changes to release the first patch for this.

Or if the demand is large enough, I could release it as is right now

Edited by Pink 0mega

If it starts to look like the last leg dragging for release is the script, I'd say release a temporary patch as-is for now. I've seen tons of projects just go completely dead because they had one last thing to do and never got around to it :<

What Celice said

I mean, as long as most of the text just involves replacing people's names, I'm fine with it for now

(plus I always wanted to play a hack with FE6 characters in FE8, so there's that)

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the long gap again guys. Here's a early patch.

[spoiler=Patch]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B01UlNqIwgfJUlR6Zl81MkdrWHc/view?usp=sharing

[spoiler=Release Info]To-Do List
-Story Changes
-Palette fixes
-More weapon balancing (debating on making it similar to FE14)

Edited by Pink 0mega

How much/how far does the patch cover?

Eirika route ONLY (don't plan on doing Ephraim route). Little to no story changes have been made yet, so just a pure gameplay patch right now.

Edited by Pink 0mega