Nomad/Nomad Trooper

DarkDestr0yer61

This is my first time posting a new topic in on Serenes and I want to make sure I am doing things properly, so my question will be simple.

Question: What are your thoughts on the Nomad and Nomad Trooper class?

My thoughts: I have not played Blazing Sword till recently and I ended up not using Rath, but right now I am playing Binding Blade and I am using Sue and I am absolutely liking her as a unit. I really appreciate the fact that she has high movement.

I'll be honest, when I first played Shadow Dragon and Heroes of Light and Shadow a few years ago, I didn't pay the Huntsman class much attention. I kind of thought the idea of a bow user on horseback wasn't that great. I also ignored Astrid when I played Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn (Although I heard that she is absolutely terrible in Radiant Dawn).

That being said, when I played Blazing Sword I got to Uhai and it made me think that I had been underestimating that class. He was probably the toughest enemy I had faced up to that point and one of the things that scared me about him was his versatility. He has a Long bow, a Short bow, and a Steel sword/Killing edge (Eliwood/Hector mode respectively). It made me think that not only do Nomad Troopers have good movement, they can also do a different number of things.

While bow users on horseback do have drawbacks (actually, bow users in general...), the Nomads, Nomad Troopers, etc. are usually pretty good. The Nomad Trooper can use swords if you don't want them to use bows, but you won't be able to attack from afar. Just keep them away from Horseslayers.

And don't underestimate Uhai. He is strong, and, if I'm remembering this correctly, if you complete the level in 15 turns or less, an extra chapter will open? I think?

[spoiler=More on Uhai]He also shows up as a revived creation of Nergal at the endgame level. He's even stronger there...

Yeah, FE6 nomads aren't weak to horseslaying weapons... for some reason. They're weak to them in FE7/8 though.

That being said, Nomads are pretty awesome. They face less terrain penalties than other mounted (nonflying) classes and honestly Bows don't hurt them too much. Snipers are generally pretty decent, it's just archers that suck because of weak bases.

Is that Nomads/Troopers weakness to Horseslayers just a FE7/FE8 thing? Because I could have sworn in FE6 that I tried to use a Horseslayer on enemy Nomads and they were not weak to it

I have not played FE6, so sorry for some misinformation there.

I enjoy using them in FE:6. Sue is amazing and my favorite bow user in any FE game. I didn't really use Rath outside of Lyn's story. His main problem for me was his late join-time and he starts of pretty weak. In FE:11, I reclassed Sedgar to Hero and Wolf to General because Horseman isn't a good class for them.

Overall, FE:6 made me like nomads. And Uhai is a pain in the ass. Since I wanted Raven to get the kill, I made to do some complicated shit with the lords to make sure Raven could kill him. Because of that, I didn't unlock the gaiden.

I can't really say - by the time Rath rejoins, I either have Rebecca raised, or if not, Geitz and Louise wind up coming along within several chapters. I also only played FE6 once, which can't really help me make a judgment.

Edited by Levant Colthearts

Nomads are great in FE6 because they have more movement than Archers/Snipers, don't have a horseslayer weakness, and they face more fliers than in FE7 and FE8.

Rath isn't bad, too bad his availability isn't the best and it's actually better to either skip Lyn Mode or have him get beaten in said mode if you want to use him - his standard EM/HM bases are better than his LM bases, and his high base level in LM kinda puts a damper on him leveraging growths (and you want to dump EXP on Sain/Kent anyway).

Ranger isn't a bad class in FE8; in fact that's the one edge Neimi has over Innes. Ranger Gerik is heresy though.

I wanted to ask this for many time, but what's the problem with Ranger Gerik ?

It's especially strange, because generally movement is considered really important.
I mean, Hero Gerik have Hand Axe (And Tomahawk), sure, but it's not as if obtaining Rune Sword was particularily hard either (by exploiting RNG in Valni.).

The Con difference is irrelevant (only Steel Blade slows him a little), and he's probably the strongest Long Bow user.

That always seemed like some strange anomaly to me.

I'm not saying Rangr Gerik is the best (Gerik is great no matter what, honnestly), but I wonder why there's such a big difference of consideration between the two.

It's especially strange, because generally movement is considered really important.

I mean, Hero Gerik have Hand Axe (And Tomahawk), sure, but it's not as if obtaining Rune Sword was particularily hard either (by exploiting RNG in Valni.).

The Con difference is irrelevant (only Steel Blade slows him a little), and he's probably the strongest Long Bow user.

I'm not saying Rangr Gerik is the best (Gerik is great no matter what, honnestly), but I wonder why there's such a big difference of consideration between the two.

Ranger Gerik is inferior because Rangers don't throw their shield in the air when they perform a critical hit.

To put it bluntly, the Runesword sucks.

Ranger Gerik is inferior because Rangers don't throw their shield in the air when they perform a critical hit.

Yeah, the Nomad Trooper animation is so much better than the Ranger one (Jump on a jumping Horse.)

To put it bluntly, the Runesword sucks.

Could you please detail why ?

Could you please detail why ?

It only uses half the unit's strength to attack, which really isn't worth it unless you're going up against a physically tanky enemy, and those are rare.

Nomads are great, Sue and Shin are really fun to use, but don't outshine the Snipers too much considering Klein and Igrene are also really solid units. Dayan is also a good late game filler unit.

Rath is so much better then Wil and Rebecca it isn't even funny though.

Edited by Jedi

Ranger Gerik isn't even that bad.

He really isnt. I prefer it and the reason is because i love that class. I love Ranger/Nomad Trooper, its just too cool imo. Great move, not much in terrain penalties, and i dunno, i dig the whole bows on horses thing. Rath is easily one of my favorite units in FE7. I like Shin and Sue in FE6 a lot too.

I LOVE me some Nomads and Nomad Trooper´s. They can move more, are faster, have horses, more defenses, swords at promotion and have great characters in it (Rath, Sue and Shin). I wished they came back in later games as their own class to FUCK Archers even more.

I actually dislike Nomads, but like Horsemen and Rangers.

They're TOO stylized. I enjoy the characters from Sacae design wise, but Nomadic Troopers are ridiculously over the top in their design. Their battle sprite has too much going on, and what even are yellow map horses. Blue and White go well together for Paladins and Valkyries, but Blue and Yellow is an awful combination for me.

Usage wise, I really prefer Snipers in any game that they're in, but they're okay. I do definitely prefer Wolt, Klein, Igrene, Louise, and Wil though.

Edited by Franziska von Karma

I think Astrid gets underestimated in Radiant Dawn. Yeah she takes some work to use but give her blossom with that innate paragon and she's on fire. You can max her stats out long before she maxes her level. Plus she can use the Double Bow. Slow to start but a damn fine unit with surprisingly little effort. But I suppose most people don't appreciate that because in Radiant Dawn slow to start means absolutely useless unless it's the Dawn Brigade chapters and you have no choice but to use a train heavy unit.

Edited by Jotari