Can "Overexposure" Ruin a Game for You?

CooledEvergreen

I'm sure on the Internet, when someone is complaining about a popular game or game series, one of the most common complaints seen is that "There is too much of that game" or "I see that game everywhere, it's so annoying". This has got me thinking, was there a game you were intrested in, but were turned away from it due to it's "overexposure"? Or does this not bother you at all when deciding wheter or not to play a game?

Edited by CooledEvergreen

Kinda sorta. One of the reasons I don't like Awakening as much as I used to is how much fanart and attention it would get (especially compared to other FE games) and all the fanboys/girls of Chrom and Lucina. But I also just realized its big flaws and such.

Absolutely. I'm hipster to the max lol.

When things are popular I'm less inclined to try them, because I don't want to be "just another" fan or whatever.

And when it comes to appreciation of them, much like how I am with characters and "tiers" and shit; "I don't want to make the best better. I want to make people appreciate the underappreciated."

Popular things don't need my support, I feel no inclination to provide it.

I worry more about under exposure. There are great games out there that people would only play if they heard of them, like Anything By Treasure, or series that always struggled for sales like NiGHTS and Klonoa.

It never really bothered me. I mean, why should it?

So what if a lot of people like that game? Their opinion is not going to affect me.

If everyone is talking about the game, why should it bother me? They just really liked it, and want to talk about it. It's a natural reaction.

Besides. why should it bother me that a lot other people like the game? Is it my right to decide what people should like? Is it my right to stop someone from enjoying a game just because I don't won't the game to become popular? Is it my right to not allow people to have fun with a game, because it bothers me that everyone will keep talking about it?

Honestly, disliking something that is popular, and liking something that is unpopular doesn't make you "special", nor it will make you better or smarter than people that like popular things, it just means that you have a different opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by Water Mage

96e8b1b316.jpg

Though in all honestly, while it doesn't ruin a game for me, it does reduce my hype for it. I pretty much have no interest in playing Splatoon for instance, because the world just won't stop talking about it. I feel like i've already kinda played it.

Not really. Basing your opinions on that of others and not thinking for yourself...who would do that?

I agree, however, considering the amount of times I've ssen people use the complaint of "overexposure", I thought it would make for an intresting topic to make.

Well, I'm a Pokémon fan so saying yes would be a little hypocrit, no ?

My problem with overexposure is mainly it's extra hard to stay out of spoiler for this game, even sometimes before it's released (Bravely Second telling you that some early presentde characters aren't playable, and probably ennemies at some points was a pretty unnerving example.) or without wanting to know.

So, the discovery of a somewhat not really well-known game have some special charm to it.

There's all this joy of discovery and being surprised.

I'm also less critical towards them than I would be towards a mainstream title (that's also me always being on the underdog's side.).

Not really. Basing your opinions on that of others and not thinking for yourself...who would do that?

Hey, that's a bit too flat-out for me. It doesn't seem compatible. If I shouldn't base my opinions on yours but only on my own, doesn't it somewhat follow that you should base your opinions on mine and not your own?

EDIT-But it's kinda fair for the topic in question, since taste is particularly subjective...

I don't think this has ever happened to me.

Edited by Severian

Hey, that's a bit too flat-out for me. It doesn't seem compatible. If I shouldn't base my opinions on yours but only on my own, doesn't it somewhat follow that you should base your opinions on mine and not your own?

I probably should have worded that better, but I mean doing both at the same time. Like it's okay to be influenced by other people (I mean, I do it all of the time when deciding to purchase games) but I think it's really dumb how people are like "well too many people like this game so now I don't want to play it"). I dunno, I feel like I could still word it better but English is hard.