SF Interviews 2.0 - Florete

Julius Nepos

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. How's your day going?

2. What kind of games do you like?

3. You read any books? If so, do you have any favorites?

4. Are you staying conservative on question limit or going balls to the wall crazy with it?

5. Thoughts on the Etrian Odyssey series?

1. What made you decide to start HaruFE?

2. What do you make of the huge community that's growing around it?

3. Is there something in the game that you'd want to change, or something you regret ever adding at all?

4. Is there a single rule even you cannot break?

5. How do I become as cool as you? 

1) What's your favorite non-red color and non a letter?
2) Rank all the Fire Emblem games that you've played (i think this is all of them?) from best to worst
3) Favorite boss battle in any game?
4) Top 3 favorite Fire Emblem classes?
5) Top 3 favorite Magic sets?

1. How is the dancer cabal in every information network ever

2. Can you tell us about the most hilarious character you've seen in the last month

3. How does it feel being better at FEH than FEH on a sliver of the dev resources

4. When will you accept my CHESS CHALLENGE

Edited by Terrador

1. a

2. Out of the haru!fe classes that you created, which one are you proudest of/felt was the most inspired, to you?

3. Or even the above but for weapons (or maybe even equipment?) you've created!

1 hour ago, IfIHadToPickADude said:

1. How's your day going?

2. What kind of games do you like?

3. You read any books? If so, do you have any favorites?

4. Are you staying conservative on question limit or going balls to the wall crazy with it?

5. Thoughts on the Etrian Odyssey series?

1) Decently! Almost done with a fairly major part of my next game update, feeling pretty good otherwise.

2) Strategy/tactics games in general are my jam, but I've also got a soft spot for anything that can carry a heavy atmosphere and a strong tone with its sound, environment and gameplay design -- things like Dark Souls/Hollow Knight, Final Fantasy Tactics, the old StarCraft. NetHack is another favorite, from an earlier time. (This is also why I prefer the older Fire Emblems, which were much better at holding a consistent and interesting tone.) I also play a bit of old school RuneScape, as it's very easy to idle in and pay little attention to and I'm fairly fond of a lot of the design.

3) Not in a long time. I've been meaning to crack open the Discworld series for a while, but I've had very little productive time lately that hasn't been dedicated to development or talking to my playerbase.

4) We'll see. I'll try to answer as many questions as I can.

5) EO, I can appreciate -- some of the designs are somewhat generic and not all of the mechanics are especially fun, but the games themselves have a lot of soul and passion put into them and it shows. I generally don't have the time and interest to get through them, but I can appreciate them for what they are.

23 minutes ago, Dragonflare7 said:

2. What do you make of the huge community that's growing around it?

3. Is there something in the game that you'd want to change, or something you regret ever adding at all?

4. Is there a single rule even you cannot break?

5. How do I become as cool as you? 

1) This one deserves its own post, so I'll respond to this post with the answer to that.

2) I always greatly appreciate the passion people have shown for my game. It is occasionally tiring to watch, but I never really have any regrets.

3) ...Well, I guess I answered this question. No, not really. I might've, if possible, built the character infrastructure a little differently to make future updates easier, but I'm generally okay to work with what I've got and it's nice to look back and see how much I've improved.

4) Rule 1. "Always be respectful of other players and non-players."

5) Just decide that you are and roll with it.

16 minutes ago, Reinfleche said:

1) What's your favorite non-red color and non a letter?
2) Rank all the Fire Emblem games that you've played (i think this is all of them?) from best to worst
3) Favorite boss battle in any game?
4) Top 3 favorite Fire Emblem classes?
5) Top 3 favorite Magic sets?

1) Purple, and... q, probably, for reasons that have too much history to share.

2) Thracia 776 > Genealogy of the Holy War > Shadows of Valentia > Sacred Stones > Mystery of the Emblem, Bk 2 > Path of Radiance == Blazing Blade > Mystery of the Emblem, Bk 1 > Awakening > Binding Blade

3) Gwyn, Lord of Cinder from Dark Souls is the most wonderfully-designed encounter in any game I've ever played and an excellent climax to the game, particularly if you don't cheese it. (Then again, cheese is the mechanics of Dark Souls in a nutshell)

4) Mage Knight > Thief Fighter > Hero

5) Future Sight > Champions of Kamigawa > Lorwyn

14 minutes ago, Zero1000 said:

1. What are your hobbies?

2. What do you think of the HaruFE RP community?

3. What do you like about the Fire Emblem series?

4. Any future plans for HaruFE you can share?

5. a

1) Coding, mostly, these days. I also do a tiny bit of composing, a bit of writing, and a lot of talking to people -- conflict resolution is low-key one of my favorite things to handle.

2) It's really neat and I never would've seen it coming.

3) This is actually a fairly hard question to answer, because there are kind of four arcs to the series, to me. If you ignore the NES games -- which were mostly trying to find the series' footing -- the first arc is the Kaga games, which I really love for holding a fairly serious and immersive tone, taking a lot of risks mechanically, and just feeling like stories with some weight and clout to them. The second arc is the GBA games and Tellius, which started off quite weak -- it's pretty clear they weren't really sure what to do with them, at first -- but got quite a bit stronger over time, and I think after Binding Blade they managed to really excel at characterization despite some deep flaws in the support system making it kind of hard to write. The third arc was the dying gasps of the series during the DS era, where... they were just kind of grasping at straws. I did not like the DS games -- they felt generic, their designs gave me a headache, and reclassing felt way too immersion-breaking. The last era is the Awakening era, and while I respect that they managed to rise to the challenge of fixing a dying series, I have very little good to say about the most recent games, aside from Shadows of Valentia doing a fantastic job with the very limited source material Gaiden gave it.

4) No. :)

5) a

10 minutes ago, peener weener said:

hey do you like my name?

what are your 3 favourite things about me?

how could anyone 

1) No, not really

2) I have no idea who you are, sorry.

3 minutes ago, Shin said:

1) GLORY TO THRACIA

1) GLORY TO THRACIA

1) "harufe players that are most fun to bully" tierlist?

2) on a similar note, compare and contrast @dekw to napalm?

3) favorite puzzlequest reaction?

4) international braggart tierlist?

3 hours ago, Julius Nepos said:

Interview ends on 7/10/2018.

5) when does your interview actually end?

7 minutes ago, #!/dev/haru said:

1) Purple, and... q, probably, for reasons that have too much history to share.

I thought the q reason would be easy, it's like a with a longer tail (depending on how you write it).

46 minutes ago, Dragonflare7 said:

To expand on this --

The main thing is, HaruBot was originally a dicebot for D&D. I made a command to automatically roll D&D statlines (4d6 best 3, repeated six times). Someone rolled up some particularly good stats and then lamented that they couldn't keep them, so I was like... 'Wait, yes you can.' And then I made a D&D character autogenerator, and played with making a bit of a game out of it. After some design, I realized I'd need to know far more about programming to pull off the story I'd want to tell, so I put it on the backburner and decided to try this idea I'd had in the back of my mind for a while.

You see, two things have always really bothered me:
1) Chatbots that give you arbitrary levelups which are meaningless and can't be interacted with
and
2) Every single Fire Emblem game that let you make a character, for making every character an amorphous uninteresting statball

So I decided to fix both of those things. Then I decided to add quests and progression, and the rest is history.

21 minutes ago, Terrador said:

1. How is the dancer cabal in every information network ever

2. Can you tell us about the most hilarious character you've seen in the last month

3. How does it feel being better at FEH than FEH on a sliver of the dev resources

4. When will you accept my CHESS CHALLENGE

1) I dunno, you'd have to ask the dancer cabal.

2) Lordy, I don't retain much of that, I see way too many characters. Well, I did see one of my new players get a Wrath manual on their Mage Fighter -- who had fairly bad bases but incredible growths -- and throw it all away to retire before level 20 (after using the manual). I don't think they really knew what they were giving up, and I sure wasn't going to say anything. I also did see an NPC autogenerate in one of my arena tests which was a +MAG Mage -> Mage Knight -> Berserker with the biggest, swolest Gale Axe I'd ever seen, which proceeded to defeat seven 20/20 (player) test characters before being taken out by an Impale Aura from Natalie. It made me want to make a Magzerker, though I have other plans.

3) Feels good, man.

4) We can celebrate the Arena update with a rousing game of Chess. I'll probably be disappointing.

6 minutes ago, Freohr Datia said:

1. a

2. Out of the haru!fe classes that you created, which one are you proudest of/felt was the most inspired, to you?

3. Or even the above but for weapons (or maybe even equipment?) you've created!

1) a

2) Aside from the Historic Classes (particularly Worthless One, which got its own storyline), I'm particularly fond of the idea and workings behind the Shadowdancer. I'm pretty happy with the Mystic, as well.

3) Finding a place for the Pursuit skill made me pretty happy, but I think my favorite design -- even if it's fairly unintuitive and hard to follow -- is my design for crit weapons in general, which resulted in me being able to make the Occultist's Edge weapon have 1 WT and nerf Grafcalibur by lowering its WT. Really, just the whole design space of Constitution/Build as a limitation has a lot more dynamic in HaruFE than it ever did in Fire Emblem with the addition of equipment weights and skills that scale on it, and that makes me happy.

6 minutes ago, euklyd said:

1) "harufe players that are most fun to bully" tierlist?

2) on a similar note, compare and contrast @dekw to napalm?

3) favorite puzzlequest reaction?

4) international braggart tierlist?

5) when does your interview actually end?

1) Too many players to release the whole list, but Top Tier consists of Arisu (Worthless One), dekw (but mostly in meta ways), Arcanite (always), and Reyson (who must eternally lose to Zea).

2) @dekw is like what would happen if you dropped napalm into the ocean. I will leave the meaning of that to the reader.

3) That one time someone ragequit the game because they couldn't get rid of the box was hilarious.

4) Top tier is @peener weener, whose identity I only just figured out. Everyone else will have to fight for it in the next season of the BRAGGART NATIONALS.

5) I uh... next... week? I... think?

4 minutes ago, Ampharos said:

1. How much did Mark Rosewater pay you to shill for Champions of Kamigawa of all sets?

1) I get the sense that MaRo low-key hates Kamigawa, so I'm gonna guess $0, but if he wants to pay me, I'm down.

2 minutes ago, Reinfleche said:

I thought the q reason would be easy, it's like a with a longer tail (depending on how you write it).

It's a long story, but that's good too.

1 minute ago, euklyd said:

even if you write the a with the tail above its head, really all it is is an a without the hair gel

True

1 //  What would you consider to be your strengths? What about weaknesses?
2 // If you had a heads up display that showed three stats about any person you looked at, what three stats would you want it to show?
3 // Rank your top five touhou and explain why they're your favorites!
4 // What is your fondest childhood memory?
5 // If you could live in the universe of any novel, tv show, or film, what would it be and why?

Edited by Koneko

hello! thanks for taking some time to answer our questions. :tangerineglasses:

1. what are some of your favorite and least favorite words?

2. what's the origin of your name Harudoku?

3. what's your biggest pet peeve?

4. what are your favorite video games besides fire emblem?

5. what's an unpopular opinion you have?

41 minutes ago, #!/dev/haru said:

Strategy/tactics games in general are my jam, but I've also got a soft spot for anything that can carry a heavy atmosphere and a strong tone with its sound, environment and gameplay design -- things like Dark Souls/Hollow Knight, Final Fantasy Tactics, the old StarCraft. NetHack is another favorite, from an earlier time. (This is also why I prefer the older Fire Emblems, which were much better at holding a consistent and interesting tone.) I also play a bit of old school RuneScape, as it's very easy to idle in and pay little attention to and I'm fairly fond of a lot of the design.

sh, i have to ask these before i forget.

6. which final fantasy tactics game is the best and why?

7. what race did you play in Starcraft?

8. YES, SOMEONE WHO LIKES OLD SCHOOL RUNESCAPE. how long have you been playing it, and what's your favorite part about it? if you were a member at some point, what was your favorite minigame?

Edited by Iris

13 minutes ago, #!/dev/haru said:

3) ... I've been meaning to crack open the Discworld series for a while ...

[not a question] i'm quite excited for this

6) [is a question] there are a lot of paths to go down; do you have any idea where you'd start with the discworld series?

7) favorite bug(s) in harufe?

8+) favorite mtg color? guild? shard/wedge? why?

10) which harold is your favorite? (for reference, jugdral has coruta, harold, magorn, musar, papillon, ridale, and zyne)

1) When are you buffing Mage Fighter?

2) What (in your opinion) is the best way to make Mage Fighter viable?

3) What is the worst unit you've ever seen to reach promotion? How does Sborge compare?

4) What was the most broken thing to ever exist in HaruFE?

5) If you weren't using Reimu, what other character would you use to represent the bot?