SF Interviews 2.0 - Florete

Julius Nepos

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.) Try your best to sell me on HaruFE! (Since I don't know a whole lot about it.)

2.) Favorite Eastern European country?

3.) Least favorite East coast state (in the United States of America).

4.) Did you know that the music you linked earlier for HaruFE is really good?

5.) Favorite movies?

Hello Haru!

I. Favorite of the classical and Chinese elements?

II. Which of the seven deadly sins and seven heavenly virtues do you most relate to?

III. Hot or cold?

IV. Do you have a favorite history or mythology to learn about?

V. When can dragons change dragonstone types again?

28 minutes ago, IfIHadToPickADude said:

1.) Try your best to sell me on HaruFE! (Since I don't know a whole lot about it.)

2.) Favorite Eastern European country?

3.) Least favorite East coast state (in the United States of America).

4.) Did you know that the music you linked earlier for HaruFE is really good?

5.) Favorite movies?

1) From your avatar and such, you appear to have an affinity for spook, so I'll attempt to go on that one and show you one of the glossary entries. Also, hey, if you ever wanted to make your own Fire Emblem character and not have it be an amorphous statball of boring brokenness, here's your chance.

2) I have some friends who live in Estonia, so Estonia.

3) I don't really collect least favorites of things.

4) I did! Here's another, then. If you like that one, let me know, and maybe I can convince you to look into HaruFE with a little story about a shrine.

5) Not much of a moviegoer! Some Disney or Pixar thing, probably. Ooh, actually, I kind of enjoyed The Martian. And Dr. Strangelove, for several reasons.

22 minutes ago, Rex Glacies said:

Hello Haru!

I. Favorite of the classical and Chinese elements?

II. Which of the seven deadly sins and seven heavenly virtues do you most relate to?

III. Hot or cold?

IV. Do you have a favorite history or mythology to learn about?

V. When can dragons change dragonstone types again?

1) Fire, and fire.

2) Temperance, I guess? I'm pretty minimalist. And, lust, clearly.

3) Cold is nicer.

4) I love learning about just about everything. History is vivid and fascinating no matter where you look. Mythology I'm a little less keen on in general but still appreciate it.

5) Why are you asking me? I'm not the one who turned all those Truthstone Shards into the shrine to let it erase itself.

6) You get to hand-pick a themed banner of four new units and one TT- or GHBman to join FEH. Who do you pick?

I mean, the answer's obviously Selphina and Selphina's four daves, but besides them?

1 minute ago, Parrhesia said:

6) You get to hand-pick a themed banner of four new units and one TT- or GHBman to join FEH. Who do you pick?

Selphina and Selphina's -- Damn, you already covered the obvious

Okay so hear me out

Fiana Braves banner - Orsin, Marty (who drops to 3*, not even 3-4*, but is insanely good at 5*), Eyval, and Finn (they did Kaze again, they can do Finn again) but with an actual refine.
GHB: Seram, and the map has random warp tiles
TT: Dagdar

Man, I can only ask 5 questions at a time, apparently. If that weren't a thing I'd probably ask at LEAST 25 questions right now because I'm just naturally curious and they pop up in my head all the time. There's probably at least 6 questions so far that I've forgotten to write down.

Well, time to start going down the list, then.

1: Why do you like fire so much in the first place?

2: Favorite 3 songs in HaruFE, and why? I wonder how many of them are songs we've even yet to see

3: Similarly (since I imagine one of your favorite songs IS the HaruFE theme itself)... "The Circle that Wrote Life from Truth". Could you explain the meaning behind the name of that?

4: How energetic are you feeling right now?

5: When did you first start using or saying or doing anything related to 'a' at all? Where did it originate from?

Edited by Kedata

12) What's the total number of accepted chessfacts right now?

13) How many people would you say use Harubot as a notepad?

14) How many of the ~quests currently in the game were suggested by other people?

15) harufe bully tierlist?

16) favorite (untrue?) rumor that people spread about harufe mechanics?

15 hours ago, Kedata said:

Man, I can only ask 5 questions at a time, apparently. If that weren't a thing I'd probably ask at LEAST 25 questions right now because I'm just naturally curious and they pop up in my head all the time. There's probably at least 6 questions so far that I've forgotten to write down.

Well, time to start going down the list, then.

1: Why do you like fire so much in the first place?

2: Favorite 3 songs in HaruFE, and why? I wonder how many of them are songs we've even yet to see

3: Similarly (since I imagine one of your favorite songs IS the HaruFE theme itself)... "The Circle that Wrote Life from Truth". Could you explain the meaning behind the name of that?

4: How energetic are you feeling right now?

5: When did you first start using or saying or doing anything related to 'a' at all? Where did it originate from?

1) It is as it should be.

2) Spoilers, Spoilers, and Bookends on the Path to Everywhere.

3) I could!

4) Not very, I'm feeling quite sick.

5) Another friend of mine used to do that. Then I started doing it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10 hours ago, euklyd said:

12) What's the total number of accepted chessfacts right now?

13) How many people would you say use Harubot as a notepad?

14) How many of the ~quests currently in the game were suggested by other people?

15) harufe bully tierlist?

16) favorite (untrue?) rumor that people spread about harufe mechanics?

12) Fuck, don't remind me. 614 accepted, 150 pending. I need to get someone else to be able to curate.

13) I've seen at least fifteen.

14) No idea! Probably at least 10%.

15) Didn't I already answer this one?

16) The rumor that you needed as many classes/weapon types unlocked as possible to unlock Master Knight and Baron made me laugh. Maybe also that time people quested with broken weapons intentionally to game Karma.

1 hour ago, Motendra said:

Tha Carter V tho?

I have no idea what this means, sorry

8 minutes ago, Ampharos said:

2. What's your favorite game that nobody's ever heard of?

My game Probably AI War: Fleet Command.

33 minutes ago, #!/dev/haru said:

1) It is as it should be.

2) Spoilers, Spoilers, and Bookends on the Path to Everywhere.

3) I could!

Why am I not surprised to get answers like these.

6) What's your opinion of the balance of manakete units in HaruFE? I personally find it odd to gauge two things about them: One, their strength due to the limited number of competitive high level manaketes, and two, their relative difficulty in training them up+getting better gear compared to other units.

7) What's your opinion on generalist/jack-of-all-trade builds and units in HaruFE? I ask because right now base classes such as mage fighter and troubadour feel pretty weak right now, in the sense of being a bit TOO mediocre at everything, and manakete units seem like they can do a better job of being a statball generalist atm, although manaketes can do whatever they want, I guess.

8) Blue Roses or Red Roses?

9) What's the favorite thing you've ever done to dan?

10) Can you send dan a compliment right now, or would that be too out of character for you to do?

VI. Do you live somewhere urban, suburban, or rural?

VII. Which do you prefer of the areas above?

VIII. Favorite chessfact(s) you've seen?

IX. Favorite season?

X. Do you know your Myers-Briggs personality type, and if so, does it fit you?

16 minutes ago, Ϲharlie said:

White mage or black mage?

I've always been more a red mage kind of gal, but probably white mage?

3 minutes ago, Kedata said:

Why am I not surprised to get answers like these.

6) What's your opinion of the balance of manakete units in HaruFE? I personally find it odd to gauge two things about them: One, their strength due to the limited number of competitive high level manaketes, and two, their relative difficulty in training them up+getting better gear compared to other units.

7) What's your opinion on generalist/jack-of-all-trade builds and units in HaruFE? I ask because right now base classes such as mage fighter and troubadour feel pretty weak right now, in the sense of being a bit TOO mediocre at everything, and manakete units seem like they can do a better job of being a statball generalist atm, although manaketes can do whatever they want, I guess.

8) Blue Roses or Red Roses?

9) What's the favorite thing you've ever done to dan?

10) Can you send dan a compliment right now, or would that be too out of character for you to do?

6) Third shrine boon should help. Not sure yet, though.

7) I think the balance is fine; they look worse in the early game but I don't think they're actually bad. Aris (Troub > Paladin) was one of my best characters.

8) Yes. :)

9) Well, this one time, I was a compulsive liar ('this one time' being for the first twenty...?ish? years of my life). Then he pointed out that he couldn't really operate around that, so I stopped cold turkey. I think it really confused him. To quote him: [5:16 PM] dekw: ??????????????????????

10) I certainly can. How many times will you fall into the same trap?

31 minutes ago, Rex Glacies said:

VI. Do you live somewhere urban, suburban, or rural?

VII. Which do you prefer of the areas above?

VIII. Favorite chessfact(s) you've seen?

IX. Favorite season?

X. Do you know your Myers-Briggs personality type, and if so, does it fit you?

VI) Suburban.

VII) I enjoy all places for different reasons. I didn't use to like urban, but living in NYC for a few months kinda sold me on being able to go out at 3 AM to get a sandwich at the local deli (where I spoke the same language as no one). Suburbia is a nice middleground of 'being near stuff' and 'being far from stuff', and rural -- while it's killer for my allergies -- tends to just be very calm and beautiful, which I appreciate.

VIII) There are five conditions which will force a draw in Chess; In a case of stalemate, a player is unable to make a legal move on their turn. Draw by threefold repetition occurs when the same position is returned to three consecutive times. A draw will be forced when no piece is captured or pawn moved in fifty moves. A draw by colony drop occurs when humanity becomes too horrified by the atrocities committed in the name of independence to continue. Finally, draw by insufficient materiel occurs when checkmate is impossible to force with the pieces on hand.

IX) Winter. Only season my allergies don't explode.

X) The only part of Myers-Briggs that I can really identify with is 'Introverted', and that's just because people tire me out quickly. 'Sensing' and 'Intuition' seem pretty much the same process, 'Thinking' and 'Feeling' are two completely different but valid ways to work through information, and... well, I'm not very judgmental at all, but that doesn't mean I'm incapable. I dunno, it's hard for me not to see MBTI as fairly nebulous and ill-defined.

6. What made you decide to include generic S-Rank weapons in HaruFE? (Stuff like the Meister weapons, Lunar Eclipse, etc.)

7. Opinions on dodge-tank characters in HaruFE and the amount of salt they cause.

8. How many people have gotten a character to level 20/20 in HaruFE?

9. Do you think the combat update penalizes low-Con characters too much? 

1.) How the heck are you able to do all of this cool stuff with a Discord bot?

2.) Favorite music genres?

3.) Favorite fantasy trope?

4.) Favorite character archetype?

5.) How is 'a' doing today?

39 minutes ago, Carmine Sword said:

6. What made you decide to include generic S-Rank weapons in HaruFE? (Stuff like the Meister weapons, Lunar Eclipse, etc.)

7. Opinions on dodge-tank characters in HaruFE and the amount of salt they cause.

8. How many people have gotten a character to level 20/20 in HaruFE?

9. Do you think the combat update penalizes low-Con characters too much? 

6) A bunch of design space opens up in using S-Ranks as 'weapons which can't get stat modifications from forges'.

7/9) These two questions make me laugh. Dodge tanks cause salt, but the update penalized them too much, in peoples' opinions. The main reason people don't like fighting dodge tanks is that a miss is a lot more unsatisfying than a hit for 1 damage, even if effectively the mitigation is pretty much the same. In short, I think small/lower CON units should be afforded a bit more offensive identity somewhere, but I don't think it's too poorly balanced, and I think it's extremely risky to give them too much more than they have.

8) Zero.

1 minute ago, IfIHadToPickADude said:

1.) How the heck are you able to do all of this cool stuff with a Discord bot?

2.) Favorite music genres?

3.) Favorite fantasy trope?

4.) Favorite character archetype?

5.) How is 'a' doing today?

1) You can do anything with a Discord bot that you could do with anything else, so long as you have the time and inclination.

2) I'm not much of a music person. I like music most when it's associated with something -- a scene, a world, a location -- so that it can hold a bit of that thing's tone. To that end, I appreciate game soundtracks more than anything.

3/4) Can't say I have particular attachment to any given tropes or archetypes. I've always had some appreciation for whenever the world is made to feel a bit more full and real, when, for instance, the characters of focus encounter another character who's clearly on their own quest, in the middle of their own story, and they never meet again.

5) Good, as ever.

1 hour ago, #!/dev/haru said:

I've always been more a red mage kind of gal, but probably white mage?

Red mage is the correct answer.

Will you ever change your avatar or sig?

7 hours ago, #!/dev/haru said:

15) Didn't I already answer this one?

No, you answered a question about the bullied players, not the bullies themselves.

17) Why does ~giveme take a list as its argument? What happens if you give it a list with multiple elements?

18) Have you read any Neal Stephenson novels? If so, which / what did you think?

19) Favorite 2hu track?

20) Are you a webcomic reader? If so, which are your favorite?

On 10/3/2018 at 1:56 AM, Kedata said:

Gonna snipe this one here because I can, and because sniping alternate answers to questions wasn't in the rules. And because I wrote an answer to it just to figure out what the proper answer was. At the time I gave the song its name (for the most part, I name the songs, being Soundtrack Guy), it mostly felt like something that fit. Once I went ahead with that, the reasons later became apparent. So the long answer is...

In HaruFE, as is common enough with works of Haru if you ever get the chance to be familiar, there's a relatively common element of warped perceptions.

While this can apply in a standard surrealist sense (Was that real or just an illusion? Are you just going crazy? Can you be going crazy because what you saw was real and shouldn't be? And so on and so forth), one thing that's actually a relatively common departure from the usual handling of surrealism is that in these kinds of stories Haru writes, one of the Big Questions is not whether what you saw was real, or whether what you saw matters... but instead, what is capable of seeing. Can the world itself see? Can the Void? Can history? In all the odd dream-like quirks making it difficult to tell what personifications are real and magical, and which are just strong implications of the mortal mind, the driving question becomes less about "What can be seen" and more about "What can see?" After all, what good is seeing something true if there's never a single way to share it?

In HaruFE, as we have seen, this takes the form of Truth. Truth's edge was a monstrous weapon, at least by its statline... before it vanished. The shrine has had... interesting interactions with a tiny thing known to some as the Truthstone. Add the odd, amorphous narrative mass known as the Void to the mix, and just what Truth is starts to become confusing at best and impossible at worst. Maybe that's a commentary or a lesson on the importance of what we actually do with objective, laid-bare facts. Or maybe it's just something that's happening -- with Haru, you never really know.

Life, on the other hand, isn't quite as strange. It's not been analyzed the same way, but it shows up here and on the artifact of a staff that seems to peer into the future, which is aptly and relevantly named Balance of Life and Truth. Life is... living. Delusional, intelligent, fighting, dying... something is alive or it isn't. While there's cases where the line is blurred a little if you look closely enough, life comes and goes, and it is what it is. It adapts in a way that Truth does not, and tends not to leave scars that reality can't handle in the same way that Truth descending to Void does, and has already done (I leave it to you to guess which parts of that are historic, and which could possibly be due to the community's actions). It's notable that the one thing that can vaguely predict the future is named after balancing these things -- the Truth, for whatever it is, and Life, the only lens through which Truth can be perceived.

Finally, we return to the name of the song, and all the earlier walls of text now pay off in the form of an explanation. The Circle that Wrote Life from Truth is history itself. As HaruFE starts up, we see a lot of old things returning to the fray. Holy weapons. Fragments of the past. Wars and strife lighting themselves anew. History has a way of repeating, and it’s not too picky (am I personifying history here, or does it really have a pull of its own?) about the details.

The Circle that Wrote Life from Truth, as such, is a nod towards the creation of the game itself, and that's why it’s named as much for a full-game menu theme. Truth was there, and Life was made to experience it, and history goes on — that’s everything in a nutshell, right?

10 hours ago, Ϲharlie said:

Red mage is the correct answer.

Will you ever change your avatar or sig?

I couldn't tell you what the future holds.

5 hours ago, euklyd said:

No, you answered a question about the bullied players, not the bullies themselves.

17) Why does ~giveme take a list as its argument? What happens if you give it a list with multiple elements?

18) Have you read any Neal Stephenson novels? If so, which / what did you think?

19) Favorite 2hu track?

20) Are you a webcomic reader? If so, which are your favorite?

17) unknown.png

18) Never heard of 'em. Give me a recommendation.

19) It varies, but pretty consistently near the top is Lullaby of a Deserted Hell.

20) Yeah. I'm a big fan of Order of the Stick, which, as it turns out, has fairly excellent writing besides also being a pile of D&D jokes. I also like Manly Guys Doing Manly Things (though I believe the writer is taking a break), SMBC, and xkcd.

1 hour ago, dekw said:

Gonna snipe this one here because I can, and because sniping alternate answers to questions wasn't in the rules. And because I wrote an answer to it just to figure out what the proper answer was. At the time I gave the song its name (for the most part, I name the songs, being Soundtrack Guy), it mostly felt like something that fit. Once I went ahead with that, the reasons later became apparent. So the long answer is...

<words>

In the immortal words of HaruBot, unknown.png

13 hours ago, #!/dev/haru said:

10) I certainly can. How many times will you fall into the same trap?

For as long as I don't bother enough to word those questions any differently.

11) a

12) mage man wins. mage man always wins.

13) Is it even possible to defeat mage man?

14) When is void man coming?

15) What kind of pets, if any, have you had in the past? Any nice memories of one?

3 hours ago, dekw said:

THANKS DAN YOU'RE THE BEST

4 hours ago, Kedata said:

For as long as I don't bother enough to word those questions any differently.

11) a

12) mage man wins. mage man always wins.

13) Is it even possible to defeat mage man?

14) When is void man coming?

15) What kind of pets, if any, have you had in the past? Any nice memories of one?

11, 12, 13, 14) a

15) I had a dog named Miranda for about ten years. She was a good dog but occasionally we would hear a THUD from the backyard and it would indicate that she was chasing squirrels along our fence and barrelled into it at the corner. This happened enough times that we had to reinforce the fence with steel, because it broke apart in several places.

XI. Which system of Fire Emblem magic do you like best?

XII. Favorite type of sword?

XIII. Samurai or ninja?

XIV. Eastern or western dragon?

XV. If your could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?