SF Interviews 2.0 - Florete

Julius Nepos

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not worried about the late update if no one else is (after all, it's their question time). I'd like to offer unlimited questions... as long as it's not abused to the point I regret it (looking at @Pengaius).
After all, I can't see getting this twice. May as well go for broke now.
Also just in case anyone's having trouble putting a post to the name... up until recently I was Mad Manakete. While the reason for the name change is public, I'm happy to answer the question again.

Anyway, now that's out of the way... let the show begin.

1. Initial and current impressions of me?

2. What are you studying in college? Or what have you studied?

3. Wanted future career?

4. What did you think of E3 this year?

5. Favorite meme?

6. Mind if I just do 5 questions per post? It’s just my way of doing things.

3 minutes ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

1. Initial and current impressions of me?

2. What are you studying in college? Or what have you studied?

3. Wanted future career?

4. What did you think of E3 this year?

5. Favorite meme?

6. Mind if I just do 5 questions per post? It’s just my way of doing things.

1. Initially, I noted you in forum games (specifically the post a fact about the person above). So for first impression I'd say fun-loving. For current, I'd say a lot better at posting consistently than I ever will be. (mostly because I lament the way I'm known to disappear on and off.. though a part of it was related to study)

2 & 3. May as well combine two into a single answer for both. I want to get into cancer research. So my studies reflected that. Kind of "foot in the door approach". At present I'm qualified for a level of work as a lab technician... but I'm about 5 subjects off a diploma.

4. The main standout for me was the Banjo-Kazooie reveal for Smash Ultimate. More so because the spiral mountain stage and the moves shown (the breegull bash as a smash attack for instance) reflected how I'd always picture it as a kid. This is something I wanted since the first Smash Bros. It's like when King K. Rool got in all over again... except I'd only wanted that since Melee. If you'll forgive the reference, Dreams come true.

5. I'd like to say "The Roger The Paladin", but that's literally a thread meme. If I'm to go with something more conventional... well, I spent way too much time on CD-i Zelda youtube poops back in the day. Something about watching those things be turned into myriad situations was addictive.

6. Five questions per post is absolutely fine. I'd make a joke about this being question 6... but I did combine 2&3, so it evens out. Did I just get tricked?

Howdy, stranger. I've questions to present to you.

1- What do you think of me?

2- I don't get your name, what's the story behind it? Isn't Roger supposed to be a Knight?

3- Why is Shadow Dragon your favourite FE game?

4- What other FE games do you like?

5- Last question's polar opposite: which would you say is your least favourite FE game and why?

6- Have you ever played Mother 3? If so, what did you think about it?

7- What is the name and origin of your signature's poem? Is it even a poem at all?

8- Are there any screenshot Lets Plays that you would like to recommend me? I'm looking for a fun read, and you seem like a person with good taste. Looking for, uh, PS1 bootleg FE LPs in particular. This is in no way shameless self-advertising. I'm not suspicious. Avert your suspicions. Avert them, I say!

6. What made you want to do cancer research?

7. Favorite music genres?

8. What are your favorite bands from your favorite genres?

9. Ever heard of Dungeons and Dragons? If so, what are your current thoughts on it?

10. Ever heard of Touhou?

Edit: Change the question numbers.

Edited by Azure in a Roundabout

56 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Howdy, stranger. I've questions to present to you.

1- What do you think of me?

2- I don't get your name, what's the story behind it? Isn't Roger supposed to be a Knight?

3- Why is Shadow Dragon your favourite FE game?

4- What other FE games do you like?

5- Last question's polar opposite: which would you say is your least favourite FE game and why?

6- Have you ever played Mother 3? If so, what did you think about it?

7- What is the name and origin of your signature's poem? Is it even a poem at all?

8- Are there any screenshot Lets Plays that you would like to recommend me? I'm looking for a fun read, and you seem like a person with good taste. Looking for, uh, PS1 bootleg FE LPs in particular. This is in no way shameless self-advertising. I'm not suspicious. Avert your suspicions. Avert them, I say!

1. That one Let's Player who inevitably produces entertaining content by not worrying about the fact he makes mistakes and takes on challenges that get him in over his head. I believe I once compared said LP's tone to a slogan for Mother 3. "Strange, Funny, and Heartrending". Definitely a fun guy.

2. Of course. The person who caused the name change questions the name change. Very well. In this LP (which may have indirectly helped me get this interview through I joke I made about my popularity, or lack of), those of us who never have played it learn the wondrous world of Tear Ring Saga... the pseudo-Fire Emblem on the PS1. Soon enough, we meet a Paladin by the name of Roger (who, in reference to events in a New Mystery LP also by our resident Saint, I surmised to be Roger from Archanea after Camus style shore-washing). Roger wasn't just any Roger the Paladin though. See, he made it clear that he was THE Roger the Paladin. Resulting in a thread-worth of gags, my current New Mystery of The Emblem playthrough with Roger reclassed to Paladin (turns out he does the job pretty well), a parody of "Under the Sea" from the Little Mermaid called "Under the The" that required looking up lyrics to write (only one in a series of song parodies inspired by the LP), a couple OC scenes that weren't in the game with Roger, and most notably, a name change from what had to be the most generic Fire Emblem related name of all. I mean, how many insane manaketes have there been? That enough of a plug?

3. The thing about Shadow Dragon is, while it never quite achieves the heights of some of the other games, it's low points never quite sink as low either (sans Gaiden Requirements... because that's a mess). How many games are there where the desert map doesn't have something about it to piss you off? This makes it far more relaxed for multiple playthroughs than games that do. The fact there's no chapter I dread to play because I can't stand it's gimmick is special to me. Usually there's some fog of war chapter or a desert chapter or something that demotivates me (my New Mystery run had a few months of break because of a certain desert full of Wyverns being the worst chapter in the game for my money). I never have to worry about that here. Also of note is the fact that, while the personalities of the characters in Archanea tend to be lacking development... it does thankfully help avoid characters like Peri. Sometimes minimalism works.

4. Honestly, there hasn't been one I've played that I haven't liked to some degree. I don't play Heroes. I admittedly haven't touched Thracia *yet*, one can guess I have no experience with the old BS chapters except for in New Mystery. I also haven't touched the original Mystery of the Emblem or Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light, opting to go with the remakes. I did however play OG Gaiden, and was quite happy when I saw SoV announced. I enjoyed the original but the new coat of paint was definitely appreciated (not having to count enemy movement out). Genealogy has a few mechanics that bug me, but the timeskip and the deaths preceeding it kind of sell the whole game. 7... well I don't like Lyn mode. I've actually got a permanent file at the end of it that I just copy and do Chapter 10 on so I don't have to play it if I want characters with Lyn mode bonuses. The other modes are, gameplay wise, solid. Plus it was my first game in the series. Definitely held back by the lack of options on some classes (1 mercenary? 1 Myrmidon?). Binding Blade... well, in some aspects they went Quantity over Quality on units, but that freedom of choice still made for more replayability. Picking a statistically inferior unit and making them work is like a built in difficulty control. Sacred Stones is a game I have mixed feelings about. Namely I didn't overly like the map and skirmishes there because I felt like they wasted weapon uses (whereas there was no weapon durability in Gaiden so it got a pass, and Awakening made skirmishes optional). On the other hand it did introduce branching classes, something that made it much more replayable. Enough so there's only a handful of units I've never used in a playthrough of the game. Path of Radiance... Well I got a Mia with maxed out defense last run-through and a Gatrie with high speed. Do I need more reason to like the game? I liked the nostalgia trip items you could find in Awakening referencing the old games. New Mystery would be top of my list if it weren't for that one map I mentioned last answer. Radiant Dawn's switching between sides of the war notion is something that could have been done better, but I like it anyway. What's left?

5. Fates... I'm counting the three games as one. I like aspects of it. But one thing that bugs me is how inevitably, between the dragon vein mechanic and the fact they blow their competition out of the water (compare Camilla to Beruka, or Takumi to Setsuna) the royals are pushed on you hard. Remember what I said about not liking the lack of options in 7? The one thing more obnoxious than a lack of options is giving you two options and then making one deliberately so much worse you'd be crazy to pick it. Then add a dash of  BS enemy-exclusive skills that exist. Then Revelations and Conquest both tend to have some really obnoxious level gimmicks like the infamous Fox Hell, Ninja Hell, Fuga's Wild Ride... you know, another thing that I mentioned disliking previously. Levels that make me want to not play the game.

6. I've been through Mother 3 enough times to have attempted runs where I got low % drop items (beat up so many heftyheads I hit max level getting the magic stick), a complete battle memory, and similar. I even ended up getting my hands on a physical copy later on.

7. It's actually the last part of this song. There's a reason for it.

8. I believe we've already done that plug. But what the hell. That LP helped me get the interview (indirectly), so we're even.

7 minutes ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

6. What made you want to do cancer research?

7. Favorite music genres?

8. What are your favorite bands from your favorite genres?

9. Ever heard of Dungeons and Dragons? If so, what are your current thoughts on it?

10. Ever heard of Touhou?

Edit: Change the question numbers.

6. Long story short... shortly before I turned 7, my grandmother died from a melanoma. I started working towards a goal from there. Sounds a bit cliche... but it's how it happened.

7. I'm typically partial to heavy metal... but given how often I write parodies of Disney music in a certain LP that's been mentioned above, one wouldn''t guess. I guess I have a rather blatant thing for video game music... but that's not really a genre.

8. I'm pretty partial to Manowar and Alestorm... but going further afield I like Alice Cooper (though not really metal). Seeing as I'm throwing out a non-metal musician or two anyway I'm also partial to Weird Al Yankovic (which might explain why I write so many song parodies). Funny how three of those have "Al" in them.

9. Used to play it with my brothers. Except my brother was the worst DM ever and pulled outright dick moves like throwing out an Aspect of Vecna as a "boss" that we had to kill... on our first session. Honestly haven't thought about it much in years apart from the two arcade games under the license that I downloaded on my Wii U a couple years back. Though the old days did kind of give me an idea what I'd be doing when I played Fire Emblem... even if nothing was ever as deliberately out of control.

10. To the degree I know what it is. Don't know anything about the lore, but have the general knowledge about the gameplay being what one might describe as a bullet hell. I also know the series creator goes by "ZUN", and that the characters tend to be (as far as I know exclusively) anime girls. Think that's about the extent of my knowledge though. Not exactly an encyclopaedia there.

1. Obligatory opinion question (Yay)
  2. Favourite Class to use in Fe
  3. Why were you formerly known as Mad Manakete
  4. Who won E3?
  5. This is invisible hammer how does invisible hammer make you feel

Edited by Pengaius

4 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

6. Long story short... shortly before I turned 7, my grandmother died from a melanoma. I started working towards a goal from there. Sounds a bit cliche... but it's how it happened. My condolences to your family.

7. I'm typically partial to heavy metal... but given how often I write parodies of Disney music in a certain LP that's been mentioned above, one wouldn''t guess. I guess I have a rather blatant thing for video game music... but that's not really a genre.

8. I'm pretty partial to Manowar and Alestorm... but going further afield I like Alice Cooper (though not really metal). Seeing as I'm throwing out a non-metal musician or two anyway I'm also partial to Weird Al Yankovic (which might explain why I write so many song parodies). Funny how three of those have "Al" in them.

9. Used to play it with my brothers. Except my brother was the worst DM ever and pulled outright dick moves like throwing out an Aspect of Vecna as a "boss" that we had to kill... on our first session. Honestly haven't thought about it much in years apart from the two arcade games under the license that I downloaded on my Wii U a couple years back. Though the old days did kind of give me an idea what I'd be doing when I played Fire Emblem... even if nothing was ever as deliberately out of control. Ouch. Hopefully, some of us will give you a better experience, if you want to play again.

10. To the degree I know what it is. Don't know anything about the lore, but have the general knowledge about the gameplay being what one might describe as a bullet hell. I also know the series creator goes by "ZUN", and that the characters tend to be (as far as I know exclusively) anime girls. Think that's about the extent of my knowledge though. Not exactly an encyclopaedia there. You are right there. For the most part. There are a few male characters, but only a few. The majority is, indeed. Female.

Responses are in bold.

11. Thoughts on progressive rock?

12. What edition did you and your family play D&D?

13. Have you ever went far out of home before? Like in a different state or country? I currently am pretty far above my current home state.

14. Did you know there are bands in (mostly, I think) Japan of many genres that mostly make Touhou remixes? Like, literal bands. Called Circles.

15. I do not follow @Saint Rubenio‘s Let’s Plays. What is the funniest moment from the current Let’s Play (or maybe the Tearring Let’s Play I keep seeing).

1. What is life definitely not about?
  2. Is there a solution to the Mind-Body problem?
  3. What is the key to an engaging, enjoyable roleplaying experience, in your opinion?
  4. Please give an extensive outline of your thoughts on FE7.
  5. You must pick one food item to be personified into a significant other to which you will be married for the rest of your days. Which food do you pick and why?
  6. This is a red hammer how does it make you feel?

Image result for communist hammer

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

7 hours ago, Pengaius said:
  1. Obligatory opinion question (Yay)
  2. Favourite Class to use in Fe
  3. Why were you formerly known as Mad Manakete
  4. Who won E3?
  5. This is invisible hammer how does invisible hammer make you feel

1. A better person than one would expect for a man who likes to mock every death in Saint Rubenio's LPs. Can take a joke as well as dishing them out... something a bit rarer than it should be.

2. Surprisingly, my favourite class to use is the fighter/warrior. I know, they're one of the most screwed over classes in the game. Less move than other infantry classes in some of the games, often low defence growth (there's exceptions like Lot), less accuracy, a bow as a promotional gain often being inferior as a choice to just using the hand axe they always could, the lack of the Pirate/Berserker's ability to traverse unusual terrain and superior crit rate. Yep, in every aspect these guys seem screwed over. Which is actually why I love using them. After all, anyone can play use Cavaliers, Pegasi, Wyverns and their high movement ilk to mop the floor with the game. But when you're using Dorcas to kill the morphs at endgame right before Nergal, or getting Garcia to kill the Demon King, there's a feeling of satisfaction in knowing that took effort

3. To be honest, the name was kind of a pun on "Mad man" and a recurring aspect of the series. Not the most creative idea ever, but it had a ring to it.

4. I'm going to go with Nintendo simply on the Banjo-Kazooie for Smash reveal. Then again one could say that Microsoft had a hand in that owning the characters. Know what? I won E3. My childhood fantasy is real now, and the only way I could be more happy is if Earthworm Jim makes the DLC.

5. It makes me feel like hitting some invisible Generals with it. Wait. Fates has a new purpose. Thank you V.... place that can't be named.

5 hours ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

11. Thoughts on progressive rock?

12. What edition did you and your family play D&D?

13. Have you ever went far out of home before? Like in a different state or country? I currently am pretty far above my current home state.

14. Did you know there are bands in (mostly, I think) Japan of many genres that mostly make Touhou remixes? Like, literal bands. Called Circles.

15. I do not follow @Saint Rubenio‘s Let’s Plays. What is the funniest moment from the current Let’s Play (or maybe the Tearring Let’s Play I keep seeing).

11. Honestly something I've had less experience with in general, and therefore something I have no strong opinions on. Though I'm strangley thinking of a certain instance in Aqua Teen Hunger Force involving Carl, some Mooninites, and not needing instructions to know how to rock.

12. That'd be a mix of the 3.0/3.5 rules due to the timing and not buying the updates of the books we already got. Weird, but they weren't overly incompatible.

13. Furtherest I went was 1410km away from home... which is about 876.4 miles. Can't say that's either a different state or country given where I live, but it was a hell of a drive. More so when all the hotels were booked out on the way back and it ended up being one excruciatingly long car trip. In winter. From a region that was warm to one that was substantially colder.

14. I can't say that I was, but then I'd have had some notion that'd be a thing given the amount of multi-genre remixes of Disney songs or video game themes I've seen show up on youtube.

15. As the Tear Ring Saga LP is the current LP, I can kind of answer both at once. I'd like to jokingly say everytime Pengauis wants Arkiss to be used. But Ribbing aside, a favourite moment was when Holmes (the Lord for the second route) kind of abandons the wheel of his ship (the Sea Lion) to listen to exposition, so this turned into an OC sequence as Garo, who isn't usually a Helmsman, tries to steer the ship with near-disastrous consequences. A moment Ruben didn't contribute was already in the game involving the game's Malledeus archetype and Holmes... but that is best left unspoiled, because it doesn't have the same impact if you see it coming. Then there's a conversation that recently occurred between Zeig and the Narcian-esque Lentzenheimer that is the verbal equivalent of murder.

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:
  1. What is life definitely not about?
  2. Is there a solution to the Mind-Body problem?
  3. What is the key to an engaging, enjoyable roleplaying experience, in your opinion?
  4. Please give an extensive outline of your thoughts on FE7.
  5. You must pick one food item to be personified into a significant other to which you will be married for the rest of your days. Which food do you pick and why?
  6. This is a red hammer how does it make you feel?

Image result for communist hammer

1. Life is definitely not about the realization that the dead never commit crimes and the surest way to stop 100% of crime is to kill everyone. Unless you live on Deadworld, in which case... how are you alive on a world where everyone's dead?

2. Well, the cop-out answer is "If nobody minds, there is no problem". So we'll go with that, seeing as my notion that the chemical processes of the brain relate back to the thought process. Ergo my idea would be basically be the mind is merely an aspect of the brain, and therefore ultimately linked to the body. That said, I'd like to be wrong on that.

3. That'd easily be immersion. If you can kind of put reality on hold while you enjoy the fictional world you're visiting, it becomes your own world for that time. In that aspect you become far more engaged, and will most likely enjoy it more.

4. Well, Lyn mode is an overly long and dull (enemy wise, the story isn't bad, not groundbreaking but it's okay) tutorial. So much so that the first time I played the game I dropped it and didn't come back for years. YEARS. After that you have Eliwood mode. A good difficulty for a beginner if easy on repeated visits. Certain fog of war maps are a pain, as is the time it takes to actually get Merlinus and therefore the convoy (Shadow Dragon spoils me there), but the biggest issue here is that on replaying the game you'll find yourself with relatively few options per class (something more prevalent in Eliwood mode due to characters like Farina and Karla who don't exist there). As it stands the extra chapters, the extra difficulty, and the extra units make Hector mode the definitive mode in my opinion, though HHM crosses the line into Kaga-esque trolling at times. Battle before Dawn being the worst offender. Also the game has Wil, who despite being regarded as one of the worst units in the game is my favourite archer in the series for reasons.I also have issues with the fact there's a good five units locked into the endgame, making the amount of viable endgame combinations more limited than you'd think. I guess another point I should address is the numerous conflicts with Binding Blade in the story... but I try to overlook that. Mostly because when it came out no one in the west had played Binding Blade. Cop-out reason in that the writers should have been able to make it consistent... but I'll take what I have. I've seen worse continuity butchering.

5. Interesting question. I suppose the obvious joke answer would be a Carolina Reaper, because hottest on the planet. But to answer seriously... I must question, is there any food that is associated with loyalty? I know pineapples are associated with betrayal. I guess failing that, there's always the option of unhomogenized milk. Why? Milk exists to nourish the young, it's wholesome, and it helps one grow stronger. Unhomogenized it's not merely a carbon copy of all the other milk in the batch, but unique. I guess I could throw in a quip about how milk is inevitably associated with mammary glands, but not really my first thought there.

6. Oddly hungry. Indeed, I think this is the perfect time to go eat something.

1. What is the weirdest bug/glitch you've ever accidentally found in a game
  2. Do you play or have you played any/many trading card games
  3. If you don't mind my asking, what is your political opinion?
  4. What is the most interesting place/thing in the world in your opinion
  5. This is hammer, how does hammer make you feel

*Hammer from Castlevania*

Edited by Pengaius

18 minutes ago, Pengaius said:
  • What is the weirdest bug/glitch you've ever accidentally found in a game
  • Do you play or have you played any/many trading card games
  • If you don't mind my asking, what is your political opinion?
  • What is the most interesting place/thing in the world in your opinion
  • This is hammer, how does hammer make you feel

1. One time when I was playing Mega Man, I happened into the unusual set of circumstances where I glitched the game out terribly by simultaneously killing and dying to Gutsman. Long story short things got weird in the manner that you'd expect of a tilted cartridge. Except I was playing via the Legacy Collection, so that was impossible. Lame by comparison to some of the glitches out there.

2. Not presently. Moreso when I was a kid... and mostly with my brothers at that stage. I didn't stick to it because it felt too much like "pay to win" even to my younger self. (The irony being pay to win wasn't a term I knew back then. It was unironically mostly Yu-Gi-Oh because it was what was popular at the time.

3. I have no way of answering this that isn't a rant about hating politicians in the same manner that @Hawkwing hates the Slaver in Tear Ring Saga. So I'll leave it as such.

4. While I'd be hard pressed to pick a single thing that' most interesting, the most interesting place may be a specific island off the coast of Brazil. See, for one such as I who grew up on tales of fictional places that were impossibly deadly, having something that would rival any of them actually exist is fascinating. That said, it's not a place I can recommend a visit to. Not that it's legal to visit it, but you know. Atlas Obscura is a great way to learn about places that are unusual, whether you'd want to visit them or not.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/snake-island-ilha-de-queimada-grande

5. It's pretty simple. It makes me feel confused that there was once intent to use him as the Grant Danasty style character in Julius mode in Dawn of Sorrow. Guy's not nearly hunchbacked as the pirate was.

It's been a while since I've done one of these.

3 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

3. I have no way of answering this that isn't a rant about hating politicians in the same manner that @Hawkwing hates the Slaver in Tear Ring Saga. So I'll leave it as such.

That is quite a powerful statement.

Anyway, as for the questions:

1. Favorite video game series?
  2. Opinion on fighting games?
  3. Opinion on Puzzle games?
  4. How did you pick your profile picture(s), and why did you choose it?
  5. Thoughts/Opinions on Star Wars?
  6. Something you thought you weren't going to like, but ended up enjoying?
  7. Something you both love and hate?
  8. If someone was interested in getting into a genre/series (of your choice), what video-game/movie/book/anime etc. would you recommend them to try first?
  9. If someone was interested in getting into a genre/series (again, of your choice), what video-game/movie/book/anime etc. would you tell them to stay the heck away from?
  10. Obligatory First/Current impressions question?

10 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

It's been a while since I've done one of these.

That is quite a powerful statement.

Anyway, as for the questions:

1. Favorite video game series?
  2. Opinion on fighting games?
  3. Opinion on Puzzle games?
  4. How did you pick your profile picture(s), and why did you choose it?
  5. Thoughts/Opinions on Star Wars?
  6. Something you thought you weren't going to like, but ended up enjoying?
  7. Something you both love and hate?
  8. If someone was interested in getting into a genre/series (of your choice), what video-game/movie/book/anime etc. would you recommend them to try first?
  9. If someone was interested in getting into a genre/series (again, of your choice), what video-game/movie/book/anime etc. would you tell them to stay the heck away from?
  10. Obligatory First/Current impressions question?

Really, the statement was exaggerated for the purpose of humour, but not by much.

1. I'm going to go with Castlevania. I like my platformers, and I like my worlds in a sword & socrery type setting. I enjoy the references to various myths and legends scattered throughout. Sure, it'd be easy for my choice to be Donkey Kong, Zelda, or Fire Emblem based on the fact they do some of these things each. But Castlevania does it all while having a hell of a soundtrack.

2. I have a bit of a mixed feeling on them. Namely, I've enjoyed Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct or Soul Calibur (never could get into Street Fighter for whatever reason). Catch is, I've never been good at them... which leads to frustration. Which leads to preferring other games.

3. Depends on the type of Puzzle. I can't play Tetris/Puyo Puyo style games for very long (an hour and a half tops) without getting bored from repetition. On the other hand a game like The Adventures of Lolo, which is a puzzle game about working out the correct way to deal with each room can have me lose track of the time as I say "one more room" over and over.... until next thing I know it's three hours later and half a game more than I intended to play.

4. Well, the first profile picture I ever had was a generic picture of Medeus battle model from New Mystery if the Emblem. The archetypical "Mad Manakete". Of course I decided that was too generic and went for something unique. My long lasting profile picture was of a Gorehead (https://britishcomics.fandom.com/wiki/Gorehead) from the 2000 AD feature Flesh. Flesh is kind of like Jurassic park, except it started first by a good decade, involved time travel to hunt dinosaurs (due to a nuclear war causing a drastic food shortage in the future and the logic they go extinct shortly after we get them from anyway)/vacation in the past and a fair bit less certainty on who will survive. I figured he could pass as a manakete to anyone who didn't know. As for The Roger The Paladin, well, I just chose from existing pictures of The Roger The Paladin, and this was the one I thought would make the best DP.

5. I'm not exactly the biggest Star Wars fan. I'm pretty indifferent as it goes. Partially due to a preference for media I can consume at my own pace (video games, comics) to those I can't (movies, tv shows). To clarify that, I can work through a video game faster than other people can if I have the skill set. My record for 100%ing Banjo-Kazooie, for instance, is just over 2 and a half hours (no world record by any means, but pretty fast). I can likewise read a comic faster than someone with poorer reading skill. But no one watches a movie faster unless they can somehow process it at double speed.

6. Something that comes to mind here is Jak & Daxter. I wasn't exactly endeared to the obnoxious shoulder-sitting sidekick. But the gameplay more than made up for that. I miss 3D collect-a-thons being a dominant genre.

7. JRPGs. They're addictive, often have entertaining stories, and you always want to see what comes next... but at the same time I hate the points in them where they get a bit... level-grindy. Looking at needing to have twelve of the 14 characters ready for Kefka's tower at the end of Final Fantasy VI... and the level grinding you will need to do that.

8. Let's go with the Castlevania series. If I were to recommend a game as a starting point, I'd actually suggest either Super Castlevania IV or Castlevania Portrait of Ruin (depending on whether they were starting with Classicvania or Metroidvania)

9. Following that line of thought, I'd say steer clear of "Castlevania the Adventure" unless you've played everything else, and definitely don't take "Circle of the Moon" as an early game (spoiler, the balance is terrible in that game).

10. Well, given the first place I saw you was in nonsense story, my first impression was one relating to a capacity for creative writing. As it stands, I view you as an intelligent user with a peaceful disposition that will disappear upon exposure to a certain Tear Ring Saga character. I'm also mildly disappointed that the question I expected (one relating to my parody songs didn't come up)

On 6/12/2019 at 3:08 PM, Pengaius said:

This is invisible hammer how does invisible hammer make you feel

Glad to see this is still around, this must be how a parent feels when their kid starts living on their own. Or like when a musician hears their own song on the radio.

Also hi! I have questions.

1.) What kind of shoe do you like to wear?

2.) What is the moon?

3.) What is your berry preference? if you have one.

Edited by ProfImpossible

40 minutes ago, ProfImpossible said:

Glad to see this is still around, this must be how a parent feels when their kid starts living on their own. Or like when a musician hears their own song on the radio.

Also hi! I have questions.

1.) What kind of shoe do you like to wear?

2.) What is the moon?

3.) What is your berry preference? if you have one.

Edited 39 minutes ago by ProfImpossible

1.) I mostly wear steel capped boots. Besides the fact they're kind of recommended for lab work, they're nice and easy to put on and take off. Also I guess if I'm ever in a fight, it's like I'm already wearing a weapon.

2.) I could go with a joke about it being a hologram projected by the chinese to waste the resources of foreign governments on attempts to reach it, but it's pretty obvious that's a load of crap. It's pretty clear it's just a celestial body that is caught in Earth's orbit. Sometimes the dull answer is all we have.

3. I'd have said strawberries if it weren't for the fact they're technically not a berry in botanical terms despite the name (kind of like the American Opossum, which is called a possum in that region, is substantially different from an Australian possum), so I'm going with blueberries for that reason.

21 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Really, the statement was exaggerated for the purpose of humour, but not by much.

Since I kinda did the same with the Slaver... Yeesh.

22 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

10. Well, given the first place I saw you was in nonsense story, my first impression was one relating to a capacity for creative writing. As it stands, I view you as an intelligent user with a peaceful disposition that will disappear upon exposure to a certain Tear Ring Saga character. I'm also mildly disappointed that the question I expected (one relating to my parody songs didn't come up)

Who says I wasn't going to ask?

1. What started the idea to parody Disney (and other) songs?
    1. How many do you plan on making?
    2. How long does it take you to create each one?
    3. Are they spontaneous or do you thoroughly think them through?
  2. Thoughts/Opinions on the Lord of the Rings?
  3. Favorite card/board game?
  4. Do you prefer action/fight scenes to be realistic and down-to-earth, or over-the-top and flashy?
  5. If you had a single day to hang out with a Fire Emblem character of your choosing, and weren't restrained by money or travel distance/time requirements, who would you pick and what would you do?
  6. Something you would tell your younger self?
  7. Something you fell in love with immediately?
  8. Something that had to grow on you?
  9. Something (in reality or fiction) that you'd pay good money to see?
  10. Thoughts/opinions on Batman?
  11. Favorite dream you've ever had?

5 hours ago, Hawkwing said:
  • What started the idea to parody Disney (and other) songs?
    1. How many do you plan on making?
    2. How long does it take you to create each one?
    3. Are they spontaneous or do you thoroughly think them through?
  • Thoughts/Opinions on the Lord of the Rings?
  • Favorite card/board game?
  • Do you prefer action/fight scenes to be realistic and down-to-earth, or over-the-top and flashy?
  • If you had a single day to hang out with a Fire Emblem character of your choosing, and weren't restrained by money or travel distance/time requirements, who would you pick and what would you do?
  • Something you would tell your younger self?
  • Something you fell in love with immediately?
  • Something that had to grow on you?
  • Something (in reality or fiction) that you'd pay good money to see?
  • Thoughts/opinions on Batman?
  • Favorite dream you've ever had? 

1. I actually have been doing the same thing on and off since I was in high-school, admittedly with whatever was suitable as the subject (a bit after listening to Weird Al Yankovic parodies for the first time). Initially some of the songs were really cringeworthy in quality, but over time I got better. Or so I'd like to think. Odds are I'll look back in some distant future and be like "what were you thinking past me?". The thing is, in the LP, I wanted to to my Lee puns over the Leemit and unLeesh a parody of Zero to Hero from Disney's HercuLees. Then I could never come up with the lyrics. Then it struck me "Prince Ali" literally was already pronounced with a "Lee". Everything snowballed from there as I got more ideas.

1a) To be honest the only one I had left planned was "Footballman" (based on Son of Man). But then I already kind of wrote it and I'm just saving it for next time Blaad shows up. But if any ideas strike (usually based on one dumb pun that grows into the basis. I mean look at Unleash the The, which entirely stemmed from pronouncing "the" with a focus on the "e") I tend to play around with it.

1b) The time taken kind of depends. In the case of "Elfire", I literally wrote it mid-update because the idea struck and I was very familiar with the source, so it took 15 minutes tops. Other times I have an idea for a title but have to wait a week or two before an idea kind of pops into my head on how to make the song work (Under the The being an example of this due to the length and less substantial familiarity with the lyrics seeing as the last time I'd actually heard the song was when my class watched the movie in first grade). As such, it took substantially longer than a week when you count that.

1c) I kind of answered this in the last sub-section of the question, but given I was anticipating questions on this matter (specifically from you),  I wrote a parody the moment I realized I got the interview. I call it "I've got Lyrics I must write", and it's to the tune of "Friends on the other side" from The Princess and the Frog (ironically a movie I've never seen beyond the villain song) Given the length, I'll put it in the spoiler tab as usual.

Spoiler

I've got verses that I must write. (Friends on the other side)

Learn to expect things my good man,
Myriad choices you must decide,
You're in my song now, not your song,
And I've got verses that I must write.
(He's got verses he must write)

That's a title-drop gentleman.
Just a little something to get the song going.
A little writer's trick, take note.

Now pick a song that's stable,
Put your mind at ease.
If you relax it will enable
You to write anything you please.

You can read the lyrics,
You can change them round some too,
Look deep into your own end goals,
(You do have a goal don't you Hawkwing?)
Make them all come true.

I've got thread posts,
I've got sick roasts,
I've got gimmicks I ain't even tried.
And I've got some verses that I must write.

The song, the song, the song must sell,
Exactly what jokes you're trying to tell.
The song, the song, the song should flow free.
If it doesn't then writing it won't be easy.

Now you young man have your vocabulary,
You have got your own degree, (I've got a degree myself, though it's in chemistry)
Your potential's high,
Yet your song count's low.
But if you put in some practice you can steal the show.

(See it's not always easy to write songs. I couldn't always do them.
But the more you do, the more tricks you learn. It's like levelling up)

It's E-X-P, it's E-X-P, it's E-X-P, you need.
And if you take that advice I guess I've planted the seed.

Now on this verse I'm not gonna waste much time,
Because the song's mission is now complete.
I could explain rhyming, or pacing, or timing,
But I'll use meta, now ain't that neat.
Now what comes next, well we'll just see.
But I've achieved the purpose of this parody.
(What have I got planned?
Won't you give a break when you see what I've got planned)

Are you ready?
Are you ready?
It is time for filler.
A bit of a mood killer.
Can you forgive it?
I've answered, I've answered, I've answered all right.
I hope you're satisfied.
But if you're not, then don't blame me.
Because these were the lyrics that I must write.
(You got what you wanted,
But did you expect what you got)

2. I'm going to be so bold here as to state I always thought the Hobbit was a bit more pure in it's fantasy essence than it's sequels... if much less intricately written given the Hobbit was a bedtime tale for Tolkien's children while the trilogy was his magnum opus that stemmed from it. Either way, it's a fantasy icon for a reason, though as with most adaptions I feel the movies kind of lost something. Then again, my bias to preferring the Hobbit may be explained by my childhood, and a certain Super Nintendo adaption of Fellowship of the Ring. If one looks up the game they'll quickly find why it wasn't a great experience given the A.I. on your allies tended to get them killed and death in the game was permanent. Good luck getting any hobbit not named Frodo through the end of Moria where the game stops in anticipation of a sequel that never came.

3. Can't say I've really played a lot of either since childhood, so I'd be hard pressed naming a favourite. Doesn't help that I'm a bit of a recluse due to a health issue preventing me from driving.

4. Depends heavily on the tone you're trying to set. An over-the-top, flashy fight scene is probably more fun to watch, but it does risk a loss of immersion if it goes against an intended tone. A notable example being that see-saw fight with Elektra in the Ben Affleck Daredevil. So there's a line, and the line shifts depending on the movie.

5. I think I'd inevitably choose the chance to take shots (archery shots) with Jeorge, the finest sniper in Archaenea. I'm not a bad shot myself (I mean I can shoot a lemon out of the tree), and a shot to learn from a master of the trade would only help with that. Besides, compared to other notable snipers (Innes, Shinon, and Takumi come to mind), he's far less abrasive, and the name holds a significance to the choice over the non-abrasive competition like Klein or Louise.

6. "You know that girl at that Mexican restaurant you like? Maybe you should take the hint next time she takes her lunch break after you order so she can sit and eat with you while making small talk. That's not just because you're a regular" Or something like that. Seriously, I've said I was oblivious elsewhere, but that one just... stands out for me as the most severe case.

7. Burritoes. I went years never eating them because I'd never liked tacos and figured it'd be a similar thing. Then a free burrito day happened nearby, and I went with my father and brother because we were going elsewhere after and I wasn't just going to buy something when there was free food. Now I eat the damn things any chance I get. The spicier the better. There's a strange satisfaction when the burrito leaves the mouth tingling for the next half an hour.

8. Control sticks. When my family first got the Nintendo 64, I was really annoyed that I couldn't just use the directional pad on most games like I would with the Super Nintendo or the Mega Drive. Here we are years later and when I play a 3D DS game like Super Mario 64 DS, I use 3DS so I have the thumbstick because it feels wrong with a directional pad. Complete 180. Life is strange.

9. In reality? Earthworm Jim in Smash Bros Ultimate. It may not happen, but I'd love it, and more importantly it'd sell my best friend on the game (and console) by itself. In fiction, I'd like to see a Megaman/Sega crossover titled "Segaman" where the main character (who, like many spin-off Megaman protagonists isn't the main Megaman but a seperate character) fights Sega Characters at the end of stages based off their games (Sonic, Streets of Rage, Nights, Shining Force, Ecco the Dolphin,Golden Axe, etc) to get their powers/weapons and fight Dr. Robotnik. It's a ridiculous joke based off a pun, but God damn I'd play that.

10. Given the amount of issues I have (between issue 400 and 713 where the original numbering ended in 2011, I'm only missing two issues, specifically 543 and 566. In Detective comics between 571 and the end of the original numbering in 2011 I'm only missing issue 781. That's cherry-picking by only using post-crisis on infinite Earths/pre-new 52 stuff, but it's the area I'm best on, if you go back and count everything from the point the yellow circle was added in issue 164 of Batman/327 of Detective I'm missing 80 issues of Batman and 46 issues of Detective comics before the September 2011 reboot where I stopped), I could say I'm quite the collector. He's not exactly my favourite super-hero at DC, not because of a dislike but because of preference for more visual powers. (let's face it though, having a complete set of Metamorpho is a far harder thing to brag about given no one even recognizes the guy.)

Mind this is nothing compared to the collection of Marvel comics from between 1961's Fantastic Four 1 and 2012's "Marvel Now" relaunch, as between all the titles (excluding romance/license stuff like movie adaptions) there's 261 issues from that time frame by my last count I do not presently have... which puts me ahead of any given comic shop in the area. The advantage in Marvel stuff is my father basically collected it all, but I basically built that Batman collection from close to scratch, so I'm exceedingly proud of it.

11. I'm not sure I'd call it my favourite, but in high-school I had a serial dream if you'd believe it. Each time I went to sleep in reality, I'd wind up in a dream world that started off close enough to reality, until the event occurred that changed it. A dark cloud appeared (generic I know), and the dead started to rise from their graves and attack the living. Yep. Zombie apocalypse. In the dream, the attack occurred while I was in class, and a few of the students and I escaped to my grandparent's house. Except they were absent because my grandmother was at the hospital for dialysis like she would have been in real life (noting this was not the one who died of cancer), so I had to climb up and break in through a glass door on the balcony, get a set of spare keys from inside and get in. Long story short, over the next few weeks we tried to survive until one day that guy who was the star of the "threw a rock at the ground and missed" story I've detailed in @Saint Rubenio's LP tripped down the stairs in the night and broke his neck. Go figure, that results in him becoming a zombie inside of our locked house... while everyone's asleep, and I wake up to almost get eaten by the girl I had a crush on who is now a zombie when I open the door I had the presence of mind to lock and bar. Everything spirals from there, I end up as the last one alive. A later scavenging mission for food ends in me surrounded fighting them off from atop an overturned bus with a bow because I've run out of arrows and lost my machete, and when it seems like I'm screwed, a light appears and a voice rings out telling me I'm the last survivor on the planet and I get one wish. So obviously I wish that none of this shit ever happened. Then I wake up and I've not been back to that scenario since. Mind I'm sticking with the "it was all a dream" because the alternative explanation is downright stupid. I don't have the ego to believe I'd be the last man alive in that circumstance.

2 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

1a) To be honest the only one I had left planned was "Footballman" (based on Son of Man). But then I already kind of wrote it and I'm just saving it for next time Blaad shows up. But if any ideas strike (usually based on one dumb pun that grows into the basis. I mean look at Unleash the The, which entirely stemmed from pronouncing "the" with a focus on the "e") I tend to play around with it.

Two...

3 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

I think I'd inevitably choose the chance to take shots (archery shots) with Jeorge, the finest sniper in Archaenea. I'm not a bad shot myself (I mean I can shoot a lemon out of the tree), and a shot to learn from a master of the trade would only help with that.

Dude Tomas. Who's more of a master than the guy who nearly murdered FE12's avatar thrice?

Anyhow, some more questions for ya.

1- Luigi's Mansion 3, yay or nay?

2- Least favourite character from your favourite game?

3- Which Three Houses house would you pick, if (or when) you had the chance to play the game?

4- If you had to choose between using the good cavaliers from FE11 (that's Cain, Abel and Hardin), but they all have to be reclassed to Curate -> General (assume it's possible, like in FE12), or the bad cavaliers (Matthis, Roshea and Vyland) but they can stay as Paladins / go Dracoknight, what would you do?

5- Favourite new character from FE11 (that's Frey, Norne, Athena, etc.)?

6- Favourite character exclusive to FE12 (includes Katarina, the characters from book 2, and the characters from BSFE)?

7- What is your favourite color?

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Dude Tomas. Who's more of a master than the guy who nearly murdered FE12's avatar thrice?

Anyhow, some more questions for ya.

1- Luigi's Mansion 3, yay or nay?

2- Least favourite character from your favourite game?

3- Which Three Houses house would you pick, if (or when) you had the chance to play the game?

4- If you had to choose between using the good cavaliers from FE11 (that's Cain, Abel and Hardin), but they all have to be reclassed to Curate -> General (assume it's possible, like in FE12), or the bad cavaliers (Matthis, Roshea and Vyland) but they can stay as Paladins / go Dracoknight, what would you do?

5- Favourite new character from FE11 (that's Frey, Norne, Athena, etc.)?

6- Favourite character exclusive to FE12 (includes Katarina, the characters from book 2, and the characters from BSFE)?

7- What is your favourite color?

Yeah but Tomas doesn't (almost) share his name with the man who started teaching me archery from age 4 (seriously I started early. Needed help pulling the 50lb bow string at the time but it was more about learning to aim then, hence why I'm so practiced at it). So there's name bias.

1) Can't wait. Luigi's Mansion was my first game when I got a Gamecube (mind it was about the only game out for it then). I replayed the first two the moment the rumours started it was going to be a thing (when the Simon Belmont trailer dropped for Smash Ultimate and Luigi had a new model poltergust) and have been eagerly waiting since, albeit not as vocally as a certain LP-er, but the anticipation is there.

I tend to like characters like Luigi or Knuckles over the main character because they have more of a personality. Mario is a pretty blank slate, while Luigi is perhaps the best defined mainline Mario character (his biggest competion being Bowser thanks to the RPGs). It's like Donald Duck has more personality than Mickey Mouse (who lost his negative characteristics early on as they were shifted to Donald), because mascot characters tend to be designed to appeal to everyone... and in doing so they have to avoid taking risks that make a character truly great. Another example is with Superman, who can feel a bit generic compared to other heroes. Yet you read the issues from before he was pasteurized and he was a bit of a trouble-maker.
Anyway that's something I call "Mickey Mouse Syndrome".

2. If you mean favourite Fire Emblem, I'm inclined to pick Vyland for being so forgettable that he could have been left out, but I'm a bit harsh on the guy as is. No, let's go with Rickard. He's there in case you need a replacement thief. But you need that thief to be alive to recruit him, so he's not really good for much. That, and he's just a flat thief. He's not trying to go straight, he's not "actually a spy", he's not someone who's doing it to pay for a sick mother's medication or because of poverty (at least as far as I remember). Mind, it's more a mild dislike as opposed to an actual hate. I'd have an easier time picking someone from Tear Ring Saga (Slaver or Alicia depending on who you count), Binding Blade (Narcian or Clarine), or Sacred Stones (Rennac) because of more characterization.

3. I had been thinking Edelgard's Black Eagles up until the E3 time-skip reveal. Now I'm thinking I'm going with Dmitri's Blue Lions first. Solely on the later versions. Inevitably, I'll be going through the game more than once anyway. I always do.

4. Well, given I've done runs without the good cavs before, I'm going for the latter option. I mean Matthis got to kill Michalis last time. He only won by a single digit hp and it took three turns.. but it was so worth it. Besides Michalis couldn't crit him, and as it was an endurance match at that stage Matthis won before the fight started.

5. Frey. My own association with Norse mythology, his survival of what should have been death, and (more recently) the incident where I was impaled on glass and survived by the fact a rib stopped it all contribute to this.

6. I'm going to go with Frost. Mostly because of your LPs truth to be told. Otherwise Ryan would be a severe contender for his handiwork in my present run (It's hard to believe he's actually on or below average instead of above) Or Robert(o) for being the most memorable Sable Knight (Camus excluded).

Except it actually is blue. Go figure.

Also of note, though it doesn't relate to a question, I thought I'd mention my current run of New Mystery with Growth Drop'd Wrys is so close to me  being able to one round Hard Mode Gharnef with Wrys it's only a matter of giving him two of the spirit dusts and the three speedwings from chapter 21's secret shop, plus either getting him to grow two points of speed by chapter 23 (it's only chapter 20, he has time) or giving him a speed bond/the rainbow drop for chapter 23. The humble curate is this close to being being the guy who not only kills Gharnef, but does so with ease.

38 minutes ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

16. Do you watch anime? What is your favorite?

17. Best RNG you got in an FE?

18. Worst RNG you got in an FE?

19. If you were to go to any place for vacation, what would it be?

20. Favorite YouTuber? 

16. I can't say I do (unusual for someone into Fire Emblem I guess). So picking a favourite would be tricky. Though at some point I do intend to watch that Netflix Castlevania series.

17. That, if any run stands out, would be the Path of Radiance Ironman attempt (is it an Ironman if no one dies?) where Mia decided to proc so much defense that she capped it. The chance of her doing that is around 1% (not her growth rate, but her capping defense without stat-boosters). I have so many photos of that on my phone because I was making sure if she died I had a photo of her at her peak. She never did. Then there was the Gatrie from that SAME run who got speed blessed. He didn't cap it, but 19 speed on a General is nothing to sneeze at. Then he just had to go and get enough resistance that magic users weren't half the worry they'd usually be as long as some pure water and that knight ward item were on him. Naturally I threw in the provoke skill and he guaranteed the rest of the run was safe. I have them up on Imgur, but for whatever reason the site doesn't want to load for me. So I guess I'm not uploading them. Thanks imgur.

18. I had a run of FE7 where Hector got stat screwed pretty bad. Which was all the more difficult because Hector being screwed over in Hector mode made a mess of the chapter where you get Armads.

19. I'd return to the town my grandfather came from. Though I won't name it, it's in a nice tropical clime and is located on a peninsula. There's of course, the dangerous wildlife (the sharks being the least of it), but it's a nice place, if somewhat obscure.

20. Active? I like to view Whoisthisgit. But my favourite youtube series was FFL2and3rocks' "Third Rate Gamer", a parody of the Irate Gamer back when that was relevant. Kind of poetic that both Irate Gamer and Third Rate Gamer stopped making videos due to a lack of interest.

edit: Remembered another thread relating to Mia and Gatrie, and borrowed my old post

On 2/10/2019 at 5:39 PM, The Roger The Paladin said:

VXDYVBo.jpg

https://imgur.com/a/i6aXEWZ

Edited by The Roger The Paladin

1. Something you’re glad you tried, but will never do again?
  2. Something that seems to bother others, but never/rarely you?
  3. Something you want to like, but can’t for one reason or another?
  4. Something you wish had a sequel?
  5. Thoughts/opinions on the Elder Scrolls?
  6. Do you read Awkward Zombie? If so, favorite comic?
  7. Do you read any webcomics?
  8. Favorite Newspaper comic?
  9. Trampolines. Like/dislike/don’t care for them?
  10.  First/Current impressions on the Three Houses?