SF Interviews 2.0 - Florete

Julius Nepos

Well that was fun. Even if I am glad it's over; This is the first time I've stayed up past midnight for something that wasn't a college project, and my week was busier than expected, so I'm a little tired after all this and I still want to go back and fix some grammar errors I made EDIT: FINALLY FINISHED. The incorrect grammar shall bother me no longer! YET ANOTHER EDIT: NOW I'VE FIXED THE GRAMMAR PROBLEMS (until I look back and notice about ten more mistakes that I've missed)! Still, I'm glad for the questions, as they did made me think, and I enjoyed my 5 days of fame.

On a side note, this is the most times the website has crashed on me, and I also copy-pasted my responses onto a google doc... and it's 21 pages long. With spaces anyway. Without them, it would probably be 15-20 pages long.

I nominate @Slumber.

Edited by Hawkwing

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Septimius Severus said:

Nominations:
1: Slumber

Klokinator can't be interviewed. I (Hattusili I) have already been interviewed.
You may nominate other people instead.

Ok then, ... I got nothin sorry

@Slumber

11 hours ago, Septimius Severus said:

Nominations:
1: Slumber

Klokinator can't be interviewed. I (Hattusili I) have already been interviewed.
You may nominate other people instead.

What happened to Klokinator?

1 hour ago, Septimius Severus said:

Nominations:
5: Slumber
2: The DanMan
1: Pengaius

He's on lockdown.

What does that mean?

1. Favorite video game series?
  2. Opinion on fighting games?
  3. Favorite music genre?
  4. How did you pick your profile picture, and why did you choose it?
  5. Why is Thracia 776 your favorite Fire Emblem game?

2 hours ago, Hawkwing said:
  1. Favorite video game series?
  2. Opinion on fighting games?
  3. Favorite music genre?
  4. How did you pick your profile picture, and why did you choose it?
  5. Why is Thracia 776 your favorite Fire Emblem game?

1. Tough one. Resident Evil is up there, I have a lot of love for Dragon Quest, and it's always a joy to play the Ratchet and Clank games. Those are probably my top 3. I'll say Resident Evil overall. There's probably not a game franchise I've replayed as much as that one. 

The Souls franchise is definitely my favorite of the last decade, and it's probably in my top 5 overall. 

2. I have a lot of respect for fighting games, and I used to love playing them with friends as a kid. Tekken was always my go-to. 

But as I've gotten older, and the idea of calling my friends over to hang out and play video games on the couch becomes less feasible, I've mostly fallen out of love with them. It's tough as a casual fan to get into them these days, as even the less-hardcore fighting games have ridiculously high skill-ceilings I could never hope to come close to reaching, and playing them online with randoms just leads to a lot of disappointment. 

3. Punk or indie rock. I used to be a big metalhead, but it just became too much at times. I like what punk and indie bring to the tables, and they're two genres that are always changing, so there's always tons of new and interesting stuff to look for and find. 

4. I wanted an FE related picture, but I didn't want a super obvious one. Thankfully one of my favorite units(And I've started liking him more since using him as a profile picture) is an obscure FE character from an obscure FE game, so Homer became my face here. Plus I like his official art, so it worked out. 

5. It's a very raw FE game. I like quirky games, and Thracia 776 is kind of where all the Kaga-era FEs came together and made a game that set the template that Fire Emblem as a whole is still following to this day. 

I really like the focus on map and objective design as the source of difficulty as opposed to enemies with raw stats, and I find it to be one of the more replayable FEs since nearly(If not all) every character is viable. It's a kind of FE that wasn't replecated until arguably Conquest, and I find the warts on FE5 a lot easier to deal with than the warts on Conquest. 

Edited by Slumber

1. Impressions of me?

2. Who's your favorite character - not including Homer - from Thracia 776?

3. Who's your least favorite character from Thracia 776?

4. Do you watch Marvel movies and if so what is your favorite?

5. I've seen you mentioned liking Andrew WK before. What are your opinions on his short-lived reality show "Destroy Build Destroy?"

1. Thoughts/Opinions on Star Wars?
  2. Something you thought you weren't going to like, but ended up enjoying?
  3. Something you both love and hate?
  4. If someone was interested in getting into a genre/series (of your choice), what video-game/movie/book/anime etc. would you recommend them to try first?
  5. If someone was interested in getting into a genre/series (again, of your choice), what video-game/movie/book/anime etc. would you tell the to stay the heck away from?

1 hour ago, Alistair said:

1. Impressions of me?

2. Who's your favorite character - not including Homer - from Thracia 776?

3. Who's your least favorite character from Thracia 776?

4. Do you watch Marvel movies and if so what is your favorite?

5. I've seen you mentioned liking Andrew WK before. What are your opinions on his short-lived reality show "Destroy Build Destroy?"

1. I have a pretty positive impression of you from when I've seen you around. Can't say there's really anybody here who has left a negative impression on me... Well maybe one or two. 

2. Mareeta, probably. She's strong, she's prominent in the story, and she's Galzus' daughter. 

3. Any of Selfina's stooges. I never use any of them, even though they're all pretty fine units in their own right. 

4. I haven't watched any since the first Avengers. And of the ones I saw, definitely the original Iron Man. Not too much of a movie guy, and the movies that do strike my interest typically aren't the big blockbusters. 

5. Only watched it a few times, and it was because my kid cousin would have been watching it during family gatherings. It was fine. As somebody who likes breaking and building things, it appealed to a basic part of me. I would not have watched it if Andrew WK wasn't in it, though. 

1 hour ago, Hawkwing said:
  1. Thoughts/Opinions on Star Wars?
  2. Something you thought you weren't going to like, but ended up enjoying?
  3. Something you both love and hate?
  4. If someone was interested in getting into a genre/series (of your choice), what video-game/movie/book/anime etc. would you recommend them to try first?
  5. If someone was interested in getting into a genre/series (again, of your choice), what video-game/movie/book/anime etc. would you tell the to stay the heck away from?

1. Like the original trilogy, despise the prequels, and haven't bothered with any Disney-era SW movies(Again, not really a big blockbuster kinda guy). There are a few great video games, and I do enjoy seeing Star Wars stuff in general, cuz I have a lot of nostalgia for Star Wars. So overall, positive. 

*coughcoughStarTrekisbetterthoughcoughcough*

2. Broccoli. 

3. Final Fantasy is a big one. I'm one of those kinds of people. I love it from the bottom of my heart, and I hate it with all of my being at the same time. 

4. I'll pick Resident Evil and say start with the REmake. The most polished and accessible of the old school REs. As much as RE4 is beloved, REmake is probably a better litmus test for if somebody will enjoy more than just the shooty bits of modern REs, and thus enjoy the series as a whole. 

5. I'll pick Resident Evil again and say AVOID 0 AND 6. Those games are bad representations of both the Survival Horror and Action REs, and you're probably more likely to walk away thinking the series isn't very good if either of those is your first game. 

Edited by Slumber

6. Favorite area of academic interest? Something like chemistry or philosophy.

7. What is your favorite minor FE mechanic you want to see more of in the future?

8. Do you care about FE Heroes?

9. Favorite blockbuster movie?

10. Which FE game had the most wasted potential?

Hello, it is time for queries.

1.) What kind of Gretsch did you get?

2.) What made you want to get a gretsch?

3.) Are you a "one guitar is enough" kinda guy, or a "you can never have too many guitars"  kinda guy?

4.) Who's your favorite guitar player?

5.) Does this make me come off as a guitar bro? Cause that's not my intention.

Also, what makes french toast crunch?

Edited by ProfImpossible

1. How did you get introduced into FE?
2. Which five Things would you like to see added or fixed in a hypothetical FE5 Remake?
3. What's your opinion of Serenes Forest?
4. What has been your happiest day in your life yet?
5. Which had been a decision you have regretted afterwards?

7 hours ago, Alistair said:

6. Favorite area of academic interest? Something like chemistry or philosophy.

7. What is your favorite minor FE mechanic you want to see more of in the future?

8. Do you care about FE Heroes?

9. Favorite blockbuster movie?

10. Which FE game had the most wasted potential?

6. Broadest one? Probably biology. Specifically, I enjoy biochemistry, as that's what I got my degree is. But you get too far into the chemistry side, and that's where it starts to lose me. I'm more comfortable with biology. I did enjoy the philosophy courses I took and I am good at almost all things English, but I enjoy the natural sciences the most.

7. Dismounting, as I've said again and again. It's a good way to balance horses by nerfing them indoors. Just don't make it imbalanced and only make them use swords, so that any horse unit that doesn't use swords is instantly at a disadvantage.

8. Not especially. I like seeing obscure characters show up all the time, but I don't care for the story and I don't care for the online stuff.

9. In the deepest part of my heart, the original Jurassic Park. I was one of those kids obsessed with dinosaurs growing up, and Jurrasic Park coming out in my very early childhood left a strong impression on me. I didn't even realize how bad the sequels were until I was hitting adolescence.

10. Probably Fates. There's so much it does right, but at the same time, does so wrong. Mechanically it could very well be the best FE, but it has so many features that I just don't think the franchise well. Even the less ambitious Birthright slips and falls all over the place.

3 hours ago, ProfImpossible said:

Hello, it is time for queries.

1.) What kind of Gretsch did you get?

2.) What made you want to get a gretsch?

3.) Are you a "one guitar is enough" kinda guy, or a "you can never have too many guitars"  kinda guy?

4.) Who's your favorite guitar player?

5.) Does this make me come off as a guitar bro? Cause that's not my intention.

Also, what makes french toast crunch?

1.) I got a G5420T. Fairlane Blue. Love the thing.

2.) I wanted a guitar that did clean tones really well. While there are plenty out there, the something about a Gretsch was alluring, and it was a very striking guitar. My dream guitar is also semi-hollow, so a guitar that was affordable(For a hobbyist), did clean tones well, and was semi-hollow was a must. It came down to a proper Fender Strat(Which was admittedly easier to play and a bit cheaper) and a Gretsch, I asked a buddy who is also into guitars. He said Gretsch because everyone has a Fender.

I'll still get a Strat eventually, probably.

3.) My heart says "You can never have too many guitars", but my wallet says "I'm a one guitar is enough" kind of guy. Right now I just have my Gretsch and a PRS SE 245, which has a busted neck but still sounds fine and is totally playable. I have to stop myself when I'm on YouTube, because like once a month, I see a guitar review that makes me go "I need that guitar".

4.) I'm not the kind of guy who worships guitar virtuosos, so I tend to admire guitarists who can just write good, interesting, mildly intricate guitar riffs. And when it comes to that, Josh Homme(Yes, I'm well aware his style is famous for its distortion and I like clean tones) or Marissa Paternoster are the two guitarists I am most inspired by right now.

5.) Yes, but that's fine.

Bonus.) The bones of people who eat Cinnamon Toast Crunch

1 hour ago, Hecatia Lapislazuli said:

1. How did you get introduced into FE?
2. Which five Things would you like to see added or fixed in a hypothetical FE5 Remake?
3. What's your opinion of Serenes Forest?
4. What has been your happiest day in your life yet?
5. Which had been a decision you have regretted afterwards?

1.) Smash Bros. initially. I was one of the "The hell is a Fire Emblem?" types when Melee came out. When I got a GameBoy Advance and started picking up a bunch of RPGs and adventure games, there was a little pamphlet in the back of many of those(Off the top of my head, I remember it coming with Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, A Link to the Past, and Sword of Mana), one of the games advertised in the pamphlet was Fire Emblem. Once I saw that it was a real game that I could play and not a trick by Nintendo to fill out a Smash roster, I hunted it down as soon as I could, and the rest is history. I think I was 11 or 12.

2.) 

1. Add the subs from FE4. The Crusader kids have their time to shine in Genealogy. Let the subs have some glory in FE5 like they were supposed to.
  2. As mentioned above, don't make dismounting force swords. It should let you use whatever weapon rank is highest.
  3. Remove the 1-99% hit percentages, and go back to 0-100%.
  4. Additionally, remove Staves missing, and make Status staves have a Magic/Res based hit%
  5. 24x

3.) It's nice. I've always used the site, and I've always known it as a big FE fansite, so having been on online communities and a big FE fan for... like, 15 years now, I knew what I was getting into. Wasn't hard to adjust to posting here.

4.) Probably some day in elementary school. Hard to pin down any day, since nothing has been so monumental that a single day has really stuck with me in my life.Graduating from schools or getting accepted to colleges/jobs never gave me extreme happiness. I just remember a lot of happy days in elementary school.

5.) Again, tough to pin down. Most of my answers would involve women.

12 hours ago, Slumber said:

Tough one. Resident Evil is up there, I have a lot of love for Dragon Quest, and it's always a joy to play the Ratchet and Clank games. Those are probably my top 3. I'll say Resident Evil overall. There's probably not a game franchise I've replayed as much as that one. 

Ooh interesting. I'm terrible at resi but I admire people who love it. I definitely don't scream my way through the games.

1. Favourite Resident Evil game?

9 hours ago, Slumber said:

I'll pick Resident Evil again and say AVOID 0 AND 6. Those games are bad representations of both the Survival Horror and Action REs, and you're probably more likely to walk away thinking the series isn't very good if either of those is your first game. 

Haha 6 was my second game and i liked it.

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

1.) I got a G5420T. Fairlane Blue. Love the thing.

2.) I wanted a guitar that did clean tones really well. While there are plenty out there, the something about a Gretsch was alluring, and it was a very striking guitar. My dream guitar is also semi-hollow, so a guitar that was affordable(For a hobbyist), did clean tones well, and was semi-hollow was a must. It came down to a proper Fender Strat(Which was admittedly easier to play and a bit cheaper) and a Gretsch, I asked a buddy who is also into guitars. He said Gretsch because everyone has a Fender.

I'll still get a Strat eventually, probably.

psst get a jazzmaster or jaguar

Strats are okay, but I prefer a warmer sound to my guitar personally. You're welcome to mine. I've always wanted a Gretsch but my household would probably lose it if I bought another guitar haha. 

2. How long have you been playing?

3. Favourite style of guitar to play?

4. Are you a lead or rhythm guy? (It's okay to be both!)

5. Are there any other instruments you play?

Just a couple of game-related questions:

1. For the "good" Final Fantasies (so you never need type "X" or "XIII"), how would you rank them in order of preference?
  2. Outside of Squall, whom you seem to really like, favorite FF characters?
  3. Have you played either or both of TearRing and Berwick Sagas, and if so, what are your opinions on them?
  4. Will you be getting Vestaria Saga, and if so, with how much if any enthusiasm/interest?
  5. And the almost obligatory, opinion of myself?

7 hours ago, Natalie said:

Ooh interesting. I'm terrible at resi but I admire people who love it. I definitely don't scream my way through the games.

1. Favourite Resident Evil game?

Haha 6 was my second game and i liked it.

psst get a jazzmaster or jaguar

Strats are okay, but I prefer a warmer sound to my guitar personally. You're welcome to mine. I've always wanted a Gretsch but my household would probably lose it if I bought another guitar haha. 

2. How long have you been playing?

3. Favourite style of guitar to play?

4. Are you a lead or rhythm guy? (It's okay to be both!)

5. Are there any other instruments you play?

1.) REmake. It's the most "complete" RE to me. It's scary, it plays well, there's a ton of content, and it looks great. RE3 would be #2 for me, because I really enjoy how Nemesis works and constantly keeps you on your toes.

And it's fine to like RE6. I just really don't.

A Jazzmaster would be sweet. Jazzmaster and Strats are both single-coils, so they'd both give the clean tone jangle I like.

2.) On and off for 13-14 years now. It was pretty irregular for a long while, so it sure doesn't sound like I've been playing for 13-14 years. I really got back into it about 4 years ago, though, and I've been playing pretty regularly since.

3.) Like electric vs. acoustic(If it's this, electric)? Or like body-types(If it's this, Les Paul)? Or actual style of playing? If it's that, I like to play anything with clean tones and jazz chords, but I enjoy wailing out on power chords and playing some fast, fun punk rock-y stuff.

4.) I strive to be good enough to be lead guitar, but right now I'm more at a rhythm guitar pace, just focusing on chords and progression.

5.) I played drums briefly in high school, and I've recently picked up piano, though I haven't had much time to practice. I guess I also technically play bass, but that doesn't really count.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Just a couple of game-related questions:

1. For the "good" Final Fantasies (so you never need type "X" or "XIII"), how would you rank them in order of preference?
  2. Outside of Squall, whom you seem to really like, favorite FF characters?
  3. Have you played either or both of TearRing and Berwick Sagas, and if so, what are your opinions on them?
  4. Will you be getting Vestaria Saga, and if so, with how much if any enthusiasm/interest?
  5. And the almost obligatory, opinion of myself?

1.) For preference? Tactics(I'm counting it)>9>8>4>7>6>12(Zodiac Edition)>5>1>X>Type 0>3. Not counting the MMOs for obvious reasons, though I really enjoy FFXIV and it's by far the MMO I've spent the most time with.

Additionally, I've avoided XV up until now, so I have no opinion on it. Also, it might be sacrilege to out 4 above 6, but 4 was my first FF, so I have a tone of nostalgia for it. Also, it might be sacrilege to put most of the games I put above 6 that high, but I played 9 before I played 6, and 9 scratched my itch for a classic FF way more than 6 did, and I hold 9 much closer to my heart. 6 is still fantastic, I just don't hold it in my heart like I do everything above it.

And, as I've mentioned before, I actually do like X to a certain degree. I just start to hate it if I play it too long. The only two FFs I consider truly bad are XIII(Sorry Eclipse) and 2. XIII-2 actually isn't completely awful, though the other sequels in the series are.

2.) Zidane. I like the happy-go-lucky types, just so long as they're not aggravatingly stupid like so many happy-go-lucky protagonists out of Japan are. Zidane's a smart and shrewd guy, and him being a "Whatever happens" hornball checks all the right boxes for me. I don't think his development is quite as cohesive as Squall's is, but I think he's a better character from the get-go.

3.) I've played TRS. The hexagonal grid of BS has put me off. I'm sure I'll get around to it sometime. As for TRS, I really enjoy it. My Discord profile picture is one of the derpy villagers who I think tells you about the arena training school. It does a lot of interesting things, even if it's not totally FE.

4.) Yes, and a lot of enthusiasm/interest.

5.) You're one of my favorite users here.