Shin 3

blah the Prussian 2

KingMarth64

Sirius

Mageknight404

Quintessence

Aquakat

1. Obligatory "What are you impressions of me?" question

2. What would you have changed to make the three paths of Fates' stories something you would consider acceptable?

1) hello!

2) favorite book?

3) favorite movie?

4) what motivated you to join sf?

5) i guess i'll put obligatory impression here but i really dont think you know me

5) i guess i'll put obligatory impression here but i really dont think you know me

I'm not sure if he know who I am either, but I remember being a part of a lot of plot rants that he was in back around when Fates was new in America.

Welcome to the questionarie Thane.

1: Impressions on me?

2. What's your favorite type of video game genre? (Action, mystery, puzzle, rpg, etc..)

3 How often would you say you play Overwatch if you own it?

4. I remember your old Aegis avatar so are you fond of Persona or SMT in general? When did you start?

5. What's your opinion on self-inserts in video games?

Well this was a surprise to wake up to. I didn't even know this thread existed, let alone that people wanted to know about plain ol' me. Other subforums distract me from my true purpose in life: to shit on Fates' story.

1. Obligatory "What are you impressions of me?" question

2. What would you have changed to make the three paths of Fates' stories something you would consider acceptable?

1. I apologize, but I don't remember you if we've interacted before. It's been a hectic time since before the release of Fates!

2. To avoid ranting and making my post look at least semi-approachable, I'll keep this very short.

First of all, if you look at what Fates promised story-wise, they've pretty much gone back on all of the recurring phrases we used to hear. "Light that shines in the dark" - you are the right hand of darkness in Conquest. "Your blood-related siblings" - also not related to them in order to expand upon the already questionable support system, and this is for some reason not a major plot point. And most importantly, "it's a game about choice" - there is no choice in terms of story, and that's one of the main issues of the game.

See, Revelation is the canon path. You can talk about other universes and timelines or whatever, but that's a cheap excuse the developers used to try and make it seem as if though what you did in Birthright or Conquest mattered. It didn't. Revelation answers the main questions, defeats the true big bad, no sibling dies and true peace is achieved in the most cheesy, least credible way ever. There's nothing that Birthright or Conquest do in terms of story that Revelation misses, barring some minor characterization of the siblings, but that is so minor in the main story anyway that it's actually laughable, and I'm surprised more people don't complain about that. What's worse, Birthright and Conquest are actually the "bad ends", since Anankos is still alive and unable to be stopped now that the siblings are dead. This is made even worse when you realize that the true path is behind a paywall and can't be bought separately like the other two paths.

I've said it before, but the initial setting of Fates fantastic, absolutely brilliant, so it pains me that it became the abomination that it is, and the worst game in terms of story I've ever played. The plot is just barely held together by a string of plot contrivances like the plot curse (which can be circumvented in various ways), the crystal ball and the Hoshidan throne, Xander and Azura's idiocy, etc. The list can be made very long.

What would I have done? That's a very large question, and I'm trying hard to keep this as short as I can, but I'll give you the major points:

1) Cut Anankos and Valla from the game entirely. Anankos mere presence in the story means there's no tension, no complexity, no politics, nothing. All they have to do is defeat the big bad and then live happily ever after, completely disregarding Nohr's initial invasion, the countries shared, violent history, cultural clashes, etc. By scapegoating Anankos and Garon, this becomes the simplest game in the entire series - travel to another land to defeat the evil dragon, the end.

2) Make Garon human. I don't mean that only literally, but also figueratively. I expected a Windwaker Ganondorf, and we got someone who's actually worse than Nergal and Ashnard. Make him care about his family and his people but be a very flawed, violent man that goes too far in order to protect the people he love - hell, he doesn't even have to be that sad or sympathetic, have him just be a moderately good person but imperialistic, just something to make him more interesting and relatable, rather than blaming every single issue on him being a literal monster. Do you see the scapegoating pattern of this game? By not giving the characters something complex to work with, they don't evolve or change over the course of the story.

This would also solve Xander's idiocy in the main plot, which I alluded to earlier.

3) Give Hoshido some issues. Right now essentially a literal paradise and they're the victims of Nohr's undebatably unjustified invasion. It makes for a very black and white story.

4) More character interactions. This is something I've noticed more and more as time has passed, and it shocks me that more people don't notice this - characters in this game don't talk in the main story after the prologue, they spout exposition until "something happens" and they have to fight. Think back to Birthright, where Corrin joins a group of strangers that were supposed to be their real family; what do they talk about? Can you remember a single line that dealt with Corrin's choice, their dragon powers, how the siblings' lives were in their absence, what their thoughts on the conflicts are? Corrin joins a group of strangers and the game ends with them being strangers to the player.

Aside from that, we need more minor characters playing a role, and some actual dialogue between the siblings, and not just the "Corrin is my sibling, you twat" spiel. If we only go by the main game and not the supports (which I believe were written by another team entirely), we have no reason to care about who are supposed to be the main characters. This is unacceptable in a game that's supposed to be about choice between two families.

Of course, this wouldn't magically make the writing better; these are just quick fixes to make the plot bearable. They'd still need to do things like implementing actual strategies (count the amount of times our heroes just walk along in the story and are then interrupted by "something happening" - they're being attacked, come across something they need to do, etc. These people hardly plan anything), cutting down heavily on the fan service, probably removing at least four siblings since they can't balance that many characters, making the Hoshidan siblings blood related to Corrin, giving Azura emotions and a role in the main story that isn't awful, and so on.

Again, these are just very brief thoughts, a band-aid on someone who needs surgery.

1. Oh hey "what are your impressions of me"?

2. Favorite video game character?

3. Favorite video game?

4. Favorite Fire Emblem protagonist?

5. Favorite FE antagonist?

1. Now I just feel awful. Have we talked a lot? Ugh...why can't I remember people's names?

2. My favorite video game character of all time is Kreia from Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, and I'm not even a Star Wars fan. She's a scary, manipulative, bitter, powerful old woman who speaks in riddles and vague threats over the course of the entire game, pulling strings from behind the main character's (but not the player's) back. Her lines are long, but strangely memorable, and I hoped Azura would be at least a cheaper version of her, but boy was I wrong.

The game hasn't aged that well, but Kreia still remains awesome, largely in part due to her fantastic voice actress and the wonderful atmosphere and setting of the game that hasn't been done since.

If your question had just been "favorite fictional character", I would've likely answered either Kreia or Zuko from Avatar: The Last Airbender.

3. In terms of story, I have a fairly set list of top three: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, Persona 4, Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective.

However, just in general, I'm not sure I can answer it. Maybe Mario 64 or Warcraft 3, haha.

4. I find most of them too dull to be anything noteworthy (keep in mind I'm only familiar with the localized games), so I'd either say Ike or Chrom for at least making me laugh every once in a while. Of course, Ike's Radiant Dawn ending is just fucking dreadful.

5. Lyon is the only one that actually made me feel something akin to interest and sympathy, so he gets my vote. Anankos, Garon and Nergal are probably at the bottom of the list.

1) hello!
2) favorite book?
3) favorite movie?
4) what motivated you to join sf?

1. Why hello there!

2. I've got the complete adventures of Sherlock Holmes volume one, and it's a fascinating read. I'm planning on picking up The Hound of the Baskervilles soon, which I've heard is supposed to be the very best Sherlock Holmes story, and I can't wait to read it. Maybe my answer will change after that.

3. 12 Angry Men, from 1957. 12 jurors discuss a murder case after having been told all the details of the case during a trial, which the viewers don't get to see, and that's the entire movie. Fantastic acting, writing, atmosphere and pacing. You'll be on the edge of your seat even though it's just showing people talking in a small room.

Honorable mention to Rear Window. I've got a thing for detective fiction, as some of you may know, and it shows on my lists, I've noticed.

4. My love for Awakening and hype for Fates. It took a while though, since my impression of the Fire Emblem fanbase was not exactly good before that.

5. Uh...uh...oh, look, over there, a K-pop artist! *Throws myself out of the window to escape in shame*

Welcome to the questionarie Thane.

1: Impressions on me?

2. What's your favorite type of video game genre? (Action, mystery, puzzle, rpg, etc..)

3 How often would you say you play Overwatch if you own it?

4. I remember your old Aegis avatar so are you fond of Persona or SMT in general? When did you start?

5. What's your opinion on self-inserts in video games?

1. You're always calm and polite and would either make an excellent leader or a very scary evil mastermind. I bet you're real popular with both the ladies and the men.

2. Detective fiction, as stated above. I do love me a good, meaty RPG every once in a while. It's just too bad they seem to often end in disappointment, like with Dragon Age 2 and Dragon Age: Inquisition. My god, I've never sold two games that quickly.

3. I've only got a laptop since I've been traveling so much these last few years, and it couldn't handle Overwatch. Sigh...I'll get to play it soon I hope. I'd probably be the constant support player, like I am in Dota 2.

4.I discovered Persona 4 via a silent playthrough and I was hooked immediately. I normally can't stand it when things are too anime, and I still think it's the game's biggest flaw, but I couldn't get enough of the wonderful setting and the likeable cast. I bought a Vita just to play it myself and the Persona 3 portable version later. I've been meaning to get into some SMT, but the fandom seems pretty...well, like this one, actually. I've also heard bad things about SMT 4, so I'll wait until Apocalpyse gets released in Europe. Of course, that can take a while since Atlus doesn't know what a Europe is.

5. Often boring and remove me from the game itself. Silent protagonists are the worst, especially when the game acknowledges that they don't talk as if that were funny. It's alright in less story-focused games like Zelda and Pokémon, but when you want to go through a proper RPG and get attached to the characters and they fall in love with a piece of cardboard after it has given them enough shinies, it's just pathetic. This applies to Persona 4 (and especially 3) as well, even if Yu shows a sense of humor and reliability throughout the game. Gods...that Rise confession scene...

Corrin, of course, incorporates what's wrong with the Japanese entertainment industry and self-inserts all at once. Horrible amounts of pandering, a complete lack of a personality, bending the plot in the most unnatural ways, an inexplicable charisma, etc.

This is not to say they can't be done well. Knights of the Old Republic II has a fantastic self-insert that's part of the world and has an established background upon which the player can reflect and choose how the protagonist views past events. Others are just sort of there, like in Dragon Age: Origins; I remember that game for everything BUT the player avatar, even if the origin system was cool and affected the gameplay in discreet ways, but that might as well just have been a class/race thing.

I will admit though that I haven't thought about this in great detail, and as such my thoughts and feelings might change.

How did you pick your username?

Huh, good question.

Edited by Thane

1. Hey

2. Have you ever had paella? If so, what did you think of it? If not, would you try it?

3. What natural phenomena would you like to witness?

4. Which game series haven't you played, but catches your interest?

5. Can you describe your day in 4 words in another language?

Are you lifting the question limit?

1. Obligatory impressions quote
2. Favorite pastry?

3. Do you want to live forever?

4. Would you rather be a dragon or ride a dragon?

5. Do you prefer science fiction or fantasy?

I'm surprised to see you got voted in here, Thane :P:

1) Did you PM me back? I can't seem to remember.

2) Would you rather drop a brick on your foot or praise Conquest's story?

3) Pokemon X or Y?

4) Who is your favorite character as a character in Fates and why?

5) Who is your least favorite character as a character in Fates and why?

1. If you were to die, what would you have as your funeral song? (Sorry if that sounded dark)
2. Favorite archetype in Fire Emblem?
3. Worst gameplay mechanic in the series?
4. Favorite critical hit animation/quote?

5. Coke or Pepsi?

Edited by Kevlar

1. Hey

2. Have you ever had paella? If so, what did you think of it? If not, would you try it?

3. What natural phenomena would you like to witness?

4. Which game series haven't you played, but catches your interest?

5. Can you describe your day in 4 words in another language?

Are you lifting the question limit?

1. Good morning!

2. I lived in Spain for a year until less than a month ago, so yes, I've had quite a few paellas. I'm a sucker for seafood, so it was irresistible to me.

3. The northern lights.

4. Huh...that's a good question. Maybe Civilization.

5. 本を読むつもり。

Sure, ask away.

1. Obligatory impressions quote

2. Favorite pastry?

3. Do you want to live forever?

4. Would you rather be a dragon or ride a dragon?

5. Do you prefer science fiction or fantasy?

1. Oh come on, am I supposed to keep track of everyone here? Is everyone on this forum friends with each other and I'm the only left out or what?

2. My Swedish friends make the best semlas. I also tried some wonderful Argentinian pastries in Spain, but, to no one's surprise, it wasn't very well organized so I never learned the names.

3. No. Immortality would get boring after a while. I'd like to live a bit longer and remain physically and mentally healthy until I die, however.

4. Depends, are we talking about euphisms here? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

5. Fantasy. Sci-fi can be nice, but it's often subject to more bullshit pulled out of the writers' posteriors.

I'm surprised to see you got voted in here, Thane :P:

1) Did you PM me back? I can't seem to remember.

2) Would you rather drop a brick on your foot or praise Conquest's story?

3) Pokemon X or Y?

4) Who is your favorite character as a character in Fates and why?

5) Who is your least favorite character as a character in Fates and why?

As am I; I didn't even know this thread existed, nor that people wanted to know more about me. Oh well, any excuse to rant.

1. I did not, now that you mention it. Shit, I wish that red letter didn't disappear if I just clicked on it. I'll get to it soon, but right now I've got to eat a late breakfast and then fix a few things around the house since my little brother suddenly got very sick.

2. Drop a brick on my foot. Physical wounds heal, but Conquest will remain a shitshow for the rest of my life.

3. I played Pokémon Y, but isn't Xerneas a bit cooler, really?

4. My favorite character is probably either Takumi or Flora. Takumi, while he gets shat upon by the plot quite a bit (you should've seen my face during Conquest's anime limbo cutscene), his issues are actually treated with respect in the supports, he's not afraid to call the avatar out on things they do, he's got a few sweet supports and is overall a very appealing character, and one of the few who is allowed to actually act like a bit of a dick in the game even if it might bruise the avatar's ego (of course, this gets brushed aside as often as possible, but I'll take what I can get).

Flora, on the other hand, hides her sorrows behind a thin veil of loyalty. Her backstory is actually relevant for her character, unlike Felicia, and overall I think they managed to capture a sad, broken woman rather well. Aside from the lack of supports and the horrible (as in poorly executed and really, really dumb) scene in Birthright, she's awesome, which I did not expect at all from a maid character.

Her subplot could've been really amazing if Corrin realized how stupid they had been for not understanding their situation, but that would detract time from character fawning over them instead and actually admit that Corrin is not flawless, I suppose.

5. I've got four characters on here for various reasons. I really should not answer these questions while I'm a bit short on time, but I get so worked up and passionated that I can't resist, so you'll have to excuse me if I express myself sloppily.

1) Corrin - the game goes so far out of its way to make Corrin seem special and wonderful to the point where every other important character is bent around their finger; a few even only exist to serve them. They're bland, naïve and stupid, yet get treated as the best thing since sliced bread. Corrin would never be able to lead an army or plan for battles, nor would anyone willingly follow them, yet the game conveniently glance over this fact, and even have Xander, Ryouma, Leo, Hinoka and maybe Takumi just accept them as the natural leader even though they've all got more experience. They don't get called out on their bullshit, they can win entire battles without killing anyone, they get portrayed as heroic even though they don't actually stand up for themselves or others, and so on.

It's an insult to the player that Intelligent Systems thought that we would want to be represented in this manner. Special snowflakes are not interesting, and Corrin is one of the worst ones I've seen in what's supposed to be a professionally written work of fiction that people pay money for. We've talked about this over and over and over again, but I remain utterly baffled that people looked at this game and thought this was okay. What an utter lack of respect for the medium, the players and most importantly themselves.

2) Camilla - everything wrong with fan service and a prime example of the horrible character interactions in the game. People would not accept a creepy, mentally unstable woman wanting to bang her younger sibling. People like to talk about her potential and the sad backstory that we see hints of, but it doesn't excuse her actions nor does it make me see her potential; she was made to sell copies to horny people, and that's all she will ever be.

3) Xander - the weakest character in the entire series. Because he's young and attractive, he gets treated as a hero even though he willingly invades Hoshido and ignores his father's actions. Somehow, Garon being a literal monster instead of a figurative one makes everything not okay, and he decides to step in. People should not be cheering for him when he takes the throne at the end of Conquest, seeing as he was a willing participant and thought invading them would be a good idea. The fact that we're supposed to feel sad for him because of his stupidity in Birthright is sickening to me. I still think the worst thing he does is killing Zora, who wants to stop the war with only four casualties when he himself used the "fewer casualties" line on Corrin in the beginning of the game.

Oh, and I should mention something: make no mistake, Xander is two characters. One incompetent, cowardly, weak asshole that only cares about being able to sleep at night in the main story and one silent, intimidating but caring commander in the supports.

Also, he's a worse version of Hetzel in Radiant Dawn, but because he's young and attractive, people want to bang him and call him a hero. Fucking. Unbelievable.

4) Peri - who thought this was a good idea? Drags down other characters to her level and makes even support Xander - the good Xander - look like an idiot. Holy crap.

Edited by Thane

4. Depends, are we talking about euphisms here? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

nah, I already got in trouble for asking those kinds of questions in this thread.

6. Do you like Star Trek?

7. Do you read any comic books?

8. Favorite fruit juice?

9. Play any fighting games?

10. Do you like spicy food?

6. What got you into the Zero Escape series?

7. Are there any other VNs you'd be willing to read?

8. If your mind was an animal, would animal would it be?

9. How would you describe yourself using alliterations only?

10. Have you ever seen a skypunch before?

Impression? (You don't know me so ignore this :P)

Which video game villain do you think is the best written? (Story-wise)

Do you like blueberries?

Favorite food?

Favorite drink?

Edited by Naughx

1. If you were to die, what would you have as your funeral song? (Sorry if that sounded dark)

2. Favorite archetype in Fire Emblem?

3. Worst gameplay mechanic in the series?

4. Favorite critical hit animation/quote?

5. Coke or Pepsi?

1. It didn't sound dark at all, don't worry. Maybe "Ue o muite arukou"; that's a wonderful, beautiful Japanese song. I've also got a certain fondness for Queen's "I want it all".

2. No idea. I can tell you that my least favorite is the Camus one though.

3. Biorhythm, Galeforce in Awakening and the moving platforms in Revelation.

4. Oh god, there are so many awesome ones! When it comes to quotes, all of Lucina and Virion's are good, "pick a god and pray!", "clear a path everyone!", "oooh YES!", etc. Honestly there are too many awesome ones to remember just off the top of my head.

5. I've never voluntarily had pepsi in my entire life. I always go for coke.

nah, I already got in trouble for asking those kinds of questions in this thread.

6. Do you like Star Trek?

7. Do you read any comic books?

8. Favorite fruit juice?

9. Play any fighting games?

10. Do you like spicy food?

Well, my answer remains unchanged: I'd ride a dragon.

6. Never watched; it looks incredibly campy. Is it campy?

7. No, I've never seen the appeal. I do know that superhero movies are really popular right now, but to someone outside of that fandom, it seems like an oversaturated genre.

8. Anything that tastes good in a smoothie.

9. Super Smash, occasionally, but I've never played the 2D ones.

10. It's my favorite kind of food!

6. What got you into the Zero Escape series?

7. Are there any other VNs you'd be willing to read?

8. If your mind was an animal, would animal would it be?

9. How would you describe yourself using alliterations only?

10. Have you ever seen a skypunch before?

6. I honestly don't remember. I think I found i via YouTube somehow, just like Ace Attorney and Persona. Too bad the final entry was a bit of an anticlimax, eh?

7. Oh definitely, but I don't know where to find good ones. I've been interested in "Swan Song" for a while but haven't found a good LP. I do remember liking G-senjou no Maou when I was younger, but when I tried watching it again, the anime tropes put me off too much to enjoy it. Forced romantic interests are not my cup of tea, and even back in the day I couldn't stand the supporting cast and never watched their routes.

8. A sloth.

9. I wouldn't.

10. No, but it would be cool to see. I mean just the name itself is hardcore.

Impression? (You don't know me so ignore this :P)

Which video game villain do you think is the best written? (Story-wise)

Do you like blueberries?

Favorite food?

Favorite drink?

1. [spoiler=Kotor II] Kreia, as previously mentioned. You pretty much assume she's the final villain from the first moment that you meet her, but you need her and she needs you. The balance between the protagonist and her is absolutely bloody brilliant. Here's but one of many scenes occurring behind the protagonist's back:

Kreia also has the most badass line in all of gaming: "and that is what I sought to understand, how one could turn away from such power, give up the force...and still live! But I see what happened now: it is because you were...afraid" It means nothing if you haven't played the game, but holy shit that delivery.

The villain of Ghost Trick is also so, so damn good, which contributes to the game having the single most satisfying ending of any game I've ever played.

Honorable mention goes to [spoiler=Ace Attorney case 1-4] Manfred von Karma

, but more because of the mystery surrounding the case rather than the villain.

2. Oh yes, very tasty.

3. Too many to count! Lamb fillet with garlic butter, soy marinated chicken, anything with shrimp and avocado...

4. Coke and milkshakes.

If Fire Emblem Fates and Blazing Sword didn't exist, which Fire Emblem would have the worst plot?

I've asked myself that many times. The series is not known for its writing and for good reason, but every game has something that's really good, as well as something that's particularly bad.

Sacred Stones is far too simple and nothing sticks out in my mind other than L'Arachel and Lyon and everything surrounding him.

Path of Radiance has a very detailed world but is also incredibly simple and has two villains who I think we're supposed to think are badass and intimidating but just make me roll my eyes instead.

Radiant Dawn has arguably the most interesting plot in the series but falls on its own overambition. I still think that it has the strongest narrative of any Fire Emblem game though, even with Micaiah, the Blood Pact and a sort of get out of jail free card in the form of Ashera. There's just always something going on and the character interactions are stellar.

Awakening has the most charm of any game in the series but its plot is fragmented and too few characters feel involved in what's going on - Future Past might be the best written story in the series though, beating even Radiant Dawn, so it's got that going for it.

Since I can't remember anything about Shadow Dragon at all, I might have to say that it has the worst story after Fates and Blazing Sword. I've heard that New Mystery of the Emblem also has some serious issues with Kris.

Edited by Thane

1. Current impressions of me? Come on, you must remember me! Though I promise I won't cry if you don't. Maybe.

2. What's your opinion on Persona 5 so far?

3. Is your last name Krios?

4. How would you improve Conquest's story?

Edited by DodgeDusk

1) Impressions of me? You probably won't remember me but we did talk. I REMEMBER YOUR WAIFU

2) Three part question, Fire Emblem Fates. One for each. Choose a support to fix, a support to remove, and a support to add. Why or why not is optional.

3) Okay, you do not like Fates story. I do remember you saying you genuinely adored the gameplay. So I'll ask this, would you rather they be swapped? (Bad gameplay, good story for all 3 routes.)

4) Best girl in both games? >:3

Edit: Both games being Awakening and Fates. Close enough to compare. If you want to add more best girls from other games feel free.

Edited by Ebony

11. your opinion on the Ys series, if you have one?

12. A franchise you'd like to see Fire Emblem cross over with?

13. Your opinion on Star Wars?

14. Are you afraid of death?

15. Would you rather live a long but boring/uneventful life, or a short but exciting one?

6. Never watched; it looks incredibly campy. Is it campy?

Depends on the specific show/movie.