How should I play the older FE games?

Drift2blades

GBA games can be played on emulator. FE6 in particular was not localized, so you can find a patch that translates the game to English. Though I personally think FE7, which was localized, is more beginner friendly, and technically it's chronologically set before 6. So you can play that one first.

Just FYI, talking about ROMs is forbidden on these forums, so you'll have to figure that out yourself.

Edited by Radiant head

If you are unable to find a Japanese system for the titles (kudos if you can), then yes, emulators are an option. I am not going to link them for obvious reasons, but there are translation patches on the corresponding pages on the main site. Finding the emulators and roms are up to you, but they are fairly easy to find.

For the most part, I do have to resort to emulators for my FE1-6 playthroughs, but to try something different, I actually do have a repro of FE5, so there's that route. This is where I got it from:

http://www.ocdreproductions.com/

The only downside, of course, is that these are way too expensive most of the time and if a new patch that fixes tons of stuff comes out for a game, especially FE4 and 5, you're stuck with the worse version.

For the most part, I do have to resort to emulators for my FE1-6 playthroughs, but to try something different, I actually do have a repro of FE5, so there's that route. This is where I got it from:

http://www.ocdreproductions.com/

The only downside, of course, is that these are way too expensive most of the time and if a new patch that fixes tons of stuff comes out for a game, especially FE4 and 5, you're stuck with the worse version.

Yeah, I'm sure they would be pretty expensive to ship as well.. How did you get 7+? Did you have to buy the hardcopies?

If you have a Wii U, you can play FE7 and 8 as they're on the e-shop.

Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are really hard to come by and the emulator for GameCube and Wii can have some problems.

I've seen Shadow Dragon still circulating around in used game shops for ~45 USD

For FE 1-6 and 12, unless you know Japanese and have the money to get the Japanese systems, you pretty much have to use emulators.

pretty much what everyone else said emulators I use an emulator to play them all. But I also played FE4 and FE3 on the actual console I managed to find a Super Famicom from ebay and both FE games. So if you want you could import them. However a super famicom cost quite a bit.. Mmm and not so much the games.. But Thracia 776 argh why!? the prices they are so high is thracia really all that special? but yeah anything but Thracia are pretty easy to obtain physically. Someday thracia I will get my hands on you one of these days.

For FE 1-6 I'm using emulators with a PS3 controller, since it's bluetooth and is the closest thing to a SNES controller without actually being one of those off brand controllers marketed towards emulation.

I actually own FE3 complete in box since it was so cheap but I can't understand anything obviously when I put it in my SNES....

The only FE games I played on an actual console are FE:13 and FE:11. Emulation is probably the best way to play many of the FE games. 1-6 and 12 because Japan and 9-10 because they're hard to find. FE:7 and 8 are both on the wii u eshop for around $7-12. But I don't have a wii u, so why pay $300 for a console that I'll rarely use?

I homebrewed my Wii and got a NES, SNES, GBA, and DS emulator on it so I could play 2, 4-6 and 12 so if you have a Wii and you know how to do that and you're okay with using ROMs and your computer is too slow, that's definitely an option. Plus you get to use a GameCube controller. That's pretty much what I did.

A computer is fine too if it can run those things.

FE7-11 came out here and 7 and 8 (and in Europe, 11) are on the eshop. But good luck on finding the others, especially 9 and 10.

I wouldn't bother with 1 and 3, they have remakes (11 and 12), and you could try Gaiden too, but I didn't like it ver much.

The only FE games I played on an actual console are FE:13 and FE:11. Emulation is probably the best way to play many of the FE games. 1-6 and 12 because Japan and 9-10 because they're hard to find. FE:7 and 8 are both on the wii u eshop for around $7-12. But I don't have a wii u, so why pay $300 for a console that I'll rarely use?

You could actually buy the consoles and play the games out for it? I don't get why people are like "HURR DURR Imma NEVER play games on dis"

If you go to Japan, FE1-4 are extremely cheap and easy to find in retro game shops. I got FE4 in the box with the manual for about $10.

Not that I'm saying you should go to Japan just to pick up some FE games... but just sayin'.

You could actually buy the consoles and play the games out for it? I don't get why people are like "HURR DURR Imma NEVER play games on dis"

None of the Wii u games really interest me. I read about a lot of them and none of them seem like a console seller to me.

I already have Smash on 3ds, so I have no purpose to buy the Wii u version

I don't really enjoy platformers, so that eliminates most of the Wii u games.

Spaltoon doesn't interest me either because I don't like shooters.

Mario Maker isn't really the game for me because I most likely get bored of it after a while.

For me, buying a Wii u would not be a great investment because most of the games out there don't interesting, or I have a variation of.

None of the Wii u games really interest me. I read about a lot of them and none of them seem like a console seller to me.

For what it's worth, Earthbound was the console seller for me.

Even if you use the Wii U for nothing except Virtual Console games, it might still be worth it if you think enough of those games are worth it.