Will I have to Choose Between Characters?

Azz

Basically what the topic title says.

I am finally going to start this now that I have beaten FE4 and I just replayed FE7 too.

I just want to know if there will be units that I have to pick between such as with Karel or Harken and Wallace or Geitz in FE7?

Thanks in advance.

there's a tiny route split for chapters 10 and 11, and in each route you get a different dancer and prepromote. Later on in the game you get a larger route split depending on if you trained your peg knights or nomads more. There are more chapters that are different in the second route split, but only 1 character changes there.

The first one is Echidna/Bartre, who I both feel are pretty solid units. Its determined by a village you visit in chapter 9, this split goes back to normal at chapter 12

Echidna is a good hero but has some weak con, so she can't utilize some weapons properly. But she's really solid overall with a good stat spread, many consider her better than Bartre, although that con does suck, you can fix that with some boosters if you so wish.

And since you've played FE7 you're going "Bartre!?" Well in this game, his speed is still a minor issue, but its decent enough in FE6. He has great strength and can use bows in one of the arguably best games to be able to use bows in, despite getting good Nomads and Snipers already. Bartre has 20 base str to work with. (Also I find he is fun to use vs Wyverns and Generals)

His route is more frustrating than Echidnas however.

Then you have the Sacae/Ilia route. Which starts at Chapter 17 and the path divide goes back to normal at chapter 21

Going to Sacae is determined by if your 2 Nomads (Shin and Sue) are higher level than your 2 Pegasus Knights (Thany/Shanna and Tate).

Sacae gives you the decently solid Nomadic Trooper Dayan, Sacae is considered the more frustrating route, however I've always personally liked it more. The maps are more open, with some gimmicks.

Going to Ilia is if your 2 Pegasus Knights are higher level, the levels are focused more on mountain ranges and such.

Ilia gives you the very mediocre/bad Falcon Knight Juno, but hey she flies and can do some utility things. This also seems to be the preferred route for most people.

Edited by Jedi

Thanks for the help.Who is the better dancer though?Like in terms of, will they die easily?I know Lalum can dodge but what about Elphin?I plan on recruiting Bartre but if Elphin is not good I will go the other route.

I'll give you their base stats and growth rates.

Ripped from the main site even :P:

Bases

mpSIqci.png

es2SCwW.png

Growths

ELVPZI4.png

u9NSkrV.png

F9oYqha.png

Apologies for the very uneven gyazo cuts there.

I find Elphin is a tad more bulky, but yeah. Fairly similar overall.

Edited by Jedi

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of a thing to note about the first route split - Gonzales has the exact same base stats in both, but in Bartre/Elphin's route he's Level 12 and in Echidna/Lalum's route he's Level 5. Either way, he has shit for accuracy considering he has like a 5 base skill and 15% growth.

I think just about everyone goes Echidna's route because it's the default route and the villages are a pain to get to. Bartre's speed is actually pretty bad (base 10 Speed) and Axes have terrible accuracy. Granted, Echidna's weighed down by Axes, but she's a good amount faster than Bartre (18 spd base means that she has like 14 AS with a Hand Axe).

I've actually only played the Bartre/Elphin route like once in the whole decade I've been playing this game, so I can't tell you which maps I like better without sounding stupidly biased.

Lalum and Elphin are interchangeable. Like 5% greater growth means that they average only .95 more in that stat once they hit Level 20, and unless you're playing at snails pace you won't hit that.

• 2 weeks later...

Whoaaa, Lalum and Elphin have different growths? The more you know!

Echidna also has accurate swords while Bartre has bows, and since FE6 hit sucks, Echidna is probably easier to use.

EDIT: Actually, swords only have 5 more hit than bows, but it's still the difference between a 72 and a 67, so.

Edited by Sniper Knight