New ~Official Touhou Chat Thread~

deleted35362

poll title  

37 members have voted

1. 1. which is best touhou soundtrack?

What did you do against Ichirin's first non as midboss? (besides not shooting)

Honestly I don't even think this stage is that much harder to learn on lunatic simply because you just have to memorize all the gaps you can go through. Just focus on dodging and give a fuck to the ufos. However the streaming part looks hellish.

I feel even more comfortable when the speed of the projectiles is increased because it gives me less time to think. The more I think, the more mistakes will happen to me. By a higher game speed I can find faster to a rhythm.

Edited by Aya Shameimaru

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UFO related question:
Why can't I do neither extra stage nor spell practice after beating this game without continues?

second completed run (actually first because of redownload)

Has it sth. to do that I didn't get the final spell card bonus?

Edited by Aya Shameimaru

7 hours ago, Aya Shameimaru said:

What did you do against Ichirin's first non as midboss? (besides not shooting)

Honestly I don't even think this stage is that much harder to learn on lunatic simply because you just have to memorize all the gaps you can go through. Just focus on dodging and give a fuck to the ufos. However the streaming part looks hellish.

I feel even more comfortable when the speed of the projectiles is increased because it gives me less time to think. The more I think, the more mistakes will happen to me. By a higher game speed I can find faster to a rhythm.

Grazed it.

the stage is mostly memo so yes, but the yinyang sections can be tricky without UFO summons

4 hours ago, Aya Shameimaru said:

UFO related question:
Why can't I do neither extra stage nor spell practice after beating this game without continues?

second completed run (actually first because of redownload)

Has it sth. to do that I didn't get the final spell card bonus?

Final spell is irrelevant. And UFO has no spell practice.

1cc on Normal or higher, bucko.

12 hours ago, Aya Shameimaru said:

Sigh, why normal and why is there no spell practice? :(
I have no interest in playing on normal since I found easy already hard enough.
Seriously would rather try to play on lunatic then.

If you want an easy to unlock extra, play: PCB, IN, GFW, DDC, LoLK, HSiFS. 

Everything else from EoSD on (assuming standard bullet hell) requires Normal or higher.

As for spell practice, only IN, TD, DDC, and HSiFS have it.

loool

Then it was pure accident that I have played only parts before (IN, DDC, HSiFS) that have all spell practice and unlock extra mode after finishing easy mode.
So I expected it would be the norm... but funnily it isn't.
I assume I've played the easiest parts yet when the hurdle for unlocking extra is the lowest.

At least stage practice still exists in UFO, better than nothing.

Edited by Aya Shameimaru

I earned in my first real Reimu A attempt (only played till stage 3 before) a higher score than in all of my like 500 Sanae B attempts.

However the ending wasn't the one I wished...

Reaching the final spell of the final boss is still a decent first attempt for using a character I'm not familar with yet.

So I finally got around to playing HSiFS...

After the complete and utter trainwreck that was LoLK, I was genuinely surprised to find that HSiFS is back to having a very reasonable and comfortable level of difficulty, to the point I managed to 1cc Normal completely blind on my first try despite getting what is probably the worst score in the history of the universe (~70 million points). After I got the hang of how scoring in this game works, I managed ~180 million on my second run, although I imagine that's probably still a contender for the world's worst score. Nonetheless, so far I'm having a decent time with it.

...two things, though:
 - Is it just me, or are the boss timers crazy strict this time around? I was timing out nonspells left and right without meaning to.
 - Is there literally any reason to ever pick any sub-season other than Autumn? I tried Spring once and it cut my score in half while also making me deal with a much nastier final spellcard.

Edited by Scarlet

I used Marisa for the first time in UFO... and you know what!?
She did actually the best run so far: highest score, maximum number of lives (for the first time!!!) and beaten Ichirin without bombs and life losses
I could have done 1cc my very first run with her... if the keyboard controls didn't stop to react against Byakuren quite suddenly. :angry:

Edited by Aya Shameimaru

Good god, HSiFS Hard is a huge spike compared to Normal. It's almost like going from UFO Normal to UFO Lunatic.
...until you realize that Season Release allows you to simply erase virtually all bullets coming your way, so it's actually still very managable, haha. In fact, considering there are a lot more bullets to cancel, you can actually spam Release much more on Hard than you can on Normal. It's actually kinda funny how I 1cc'd Hard with lives to spare even though it felt like I was hardly even trying to actually dodge any of the boss patterns. xD

On 26.9.2017 at 10:36 PM, persona 2 wanker said:

summer is better on lower difficulties than autumn imo, and it uses only one gauge

Do you ever even need more than one gauge? :V

On 27.9.2017 at 6:17 AM, Aya Shameimaru said:

I thought winter is the best subspell because strongest.

I found 16 a rather easy game minus stage 4 and boss 5.

...does the strength of the options really matter if you hardly ever even have more than one? xD

Aye, I agree it's a pretty easy game overall. The patterns are surprisingly straightforward (on Normal, anyway), the usual stage 4 difficulty spike is strangely absent, and you get an absolutely ungodly amount of resources if you're even half-decent at scoring. I'm pretty sure it's possible to bomb literally every spellcard in the game and still 1cc with a comfortable amount of lives to spare, haha.

19 hours ago, shezzy said:

so it wasnt just UFO. all my 2hu games are completely fucked frame rate wise.

fsr performance is fine on literally every other game so im not sure what the fuck is causing the cpu to be so erratc but I know fuck all about computers.

tried redownloading, its still ded. it was fine up until the windows 10 update, before that I had frame rate trouble too but vpatch fixed it.

I'm still using Windows 7, so I'm afraid I know little about Windows 10, but... I vaguely recall reading somewhere that Windows 10 had issues running a wide variety of games in fullscreen. Have you tried going windowed mode?

...does the strength of the options really matter if you hardly ever even have more than one? xD

Aye, I agree it's a pretty easy game overall. The patterns are surprisingly straightforward (on Normal, anyway), the usual stage 4 difficulty spike is strangely absent, and you get an absolutely ungodly amount of resources if you're even half-decent at scoring. I'm pretty sure it's possible to bomb literally every spellcard in the game and still 1cc with a comfortable amount of lives to spare, haha.

16 is mainly easy because of its bonus system. It's actually the only part where scoring really matters because that's the basics for the bonuses.
I had full lives several times till stage 3, I think even full bombs.
However I usually use lots of bombs in stage 4 because these yellow fairies combined with the red ones are really annoying. Seriously I find T16 has the hardest stage 4 in terms of gameplay of the parts I've played yet. However with the bonus system you never are really in trouble.

3 hours ago, Aya Shameimaru said:

16 is mainly easy because of its bonus system. It's actually the only part where scoring really matters because that's the basics for the bonuses.
I had full lives several times till stage 3, I think even full bombs.
However I usually use lots of bombs in stage 4 because these yellow fairies combined with the red ones are really annoying. Seriously I find T16 has the hardest stage 4 in terms of gameplay of the parts I've played yet. However with the bonus system you never are really in trouble.

EoSD and MoF work on a similar principle, actually; the main difference is that both EoSD and MoF never give you more than 4 Extends for your score no matter how well you do, whereas HSiFS is willing to give you up to 8. EoSD also doesn't allow you to simply erase 70% of all bullets coming your way, haha.
But yeah. The season release is about as spammable as bombs in MoF are - except HSiFS actually encourages you to as that's where the majority of your score comes from, heh.

I really don't understand what the fuss about Stage 4 is all about. Even on Hard it's just basic streaming with some stray bullets thrown in, like pretty much any other Stage 4. One of the greater fairies even gives you a free bomb!

6 hours ago, Aya Shameimaru said:

I made a Touhou chat on Discord.
If someone is interested in, feel free to join!
Everyone is welcome!

However it's still a bit empty and boring yet so don't expect toooooooo much.

ooh more servers

/hops off

19 hours ago, shezzy said:

Yes I've tried windowed. And I've had windows 10 for a while now, and been able to run the games perfectly.

prolly some sort of driver issue and I have no idea how to go around that. other drivers on my laptop have been breaking down too, but I mean touhou is the only game giving me shit right now. or it was the windows 10 update that did it, fuck if I know. before that I had frame rate issues with UFO too (NOT OTHER TOUHOU GAMES) but it was fixed by vpatch, now everything is equally fucked with or without 

maybe it is just the win 10 update? did you try going back to an earlier version?

Edited by Renne

11 hours ago, Scarlet said:

EoSD and MoF work on a similar principle, actually; the main difference is that both EoSD and MoF never give you more than 4 Extends for your score no matter how well you do, whereas HSiFS is willing to give you up to 8. EoSD also doesn't allow you to simply erase 70% of all bullets coming your way, haha.
But yeah. The season release is about as spammable as bombs in MoF are - except HSiFS actually encourages you to as that's where the majority of your score comes from, heh.

I really don't understand what the fuss about Stage 4 is all about. Even on Hard it's just basic streaming with some stray bullets thrown in, like pretty much any other Stage 4. One of the greater fairies even gives you a free bomb!

As for stage 4 the survival isn't a problem for me. I have enough bombs to bomb me through. However this ruined my run in the Touhou tournament because I used like six bombs in the entire stage.
I might suck in streaming but I have serious problems to dodge all the to me targetted projectiles with the ones by the blue fairies which shot them down straight vertically.

As for UFO I find stage 4 not hard; stage 3 has the biggest difficulty jump between stages for me.

8 hours ago, Renne said:

ooh more servers

/hops off

It's still in progress.

/creating Discord server is hard for a newbie 

On 9/26/2017 at 3:39 PM, Scarlet said:

- Is there literally any reason to ever pick any sub-season other than Autumn? I tried Spring once and it cut my score in half while also making me deal with a much nastier final spellcard.

I used Winter for my Normal runs because I found it the easiest to plan around (it's a lot like Magic Absorber).  There's also a rather amusing glitch with the Winter Subseason that allows you to "stack" lasers when you're only supposed to fire one at any given time.

10 hours ago, Byakuren Hijiri said:

As for stage 4 the survival isn't a problem for me. I have enough bombs to bomb me through. However this ruined my run in the Touhou tournament because I used like six bombs in the entire stage.
I might suck in streaming but I have serious problems to dodge all the to me targetted projectiles with the ones by the blue fairies which shot them down straight vertically.

As for UFO I find stage 4 not hard; stage 3 has the biggest difficulty jump between stages for me.

Six bombs? Ouch. I think I used two in my Hard 1cc, mostly because I tend to be a little too aggressive with the Autumn release.
That's pretty much the easiest part of the stage, so I'm afraid there's not much of a trick to it. You might simply need more practice. Being able to stream aimed bullets while dodging static ones, ideally while also being able to turn around if needed, is a pretty important skill for the higher difficulties of Touhou in general, so practicing that will come in handy not only in HSiFS.

What I don't like about UFO Stage 4 is that you cannot bomb Nue if you want the 1up, but can easily get walled if you don't.

5 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

I used Winter for my Normal runs because I found it the easiest to plan around (it's a lot like Magic Absorber).  There's also a rather amusing glitch with the Winter Subseason that allows you to "stack" lasers when you're only supposed to fire one at any given time.

I guess I should actually try Summer and Winter at some point, haha.
Another glitch concerning lasers? ZUN plz. I guess some things never change. :V

4 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

I guess I should actually try Summer and Winter at some point, haha.
Another glitch concerning lasers? ZUN plz. I guess some things never change. :V

Yeah, basically, if you gain subshot options, a new laser will fire until one of the following happens:

• You die
  • You let go of the shot key
  • You gain a main shot option
  • you enter dialogue

At any given time, regardless of how many options you have, only one laser should fire, but this lets you stack lasers and do more damage.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

14 hours ago, Scarlet said:

Six bombs? Ouch. I think I used two in my Hard 1cc, mostly because I tend to be a little too aggressive with the Autumn release.
That's pretty much the easiest part of the stage, so I'm afraid there's not much of a trick to it. You might simply need more practice. Being able to stream aimed bullets while dodging static ones, ideally while also being able to turn around if needed, is a pretty important skill for the higher difficulties of Touhou in general, so practicing that will come in handy not only in HSiFS.

What I don't like about UFO Stage 4 is that you cannot bomb Nue if you want the 1up, but can easily get walled if you don't.

I tried so many times this stage, but I suck for some reason.
I'm already glad not to lose any lives anymore.

Where is Nue in UFO's maingame?
You meant the moon looking likish thing which drops a life, if you lose neither lives, nor using bombs?
Or is she an extra boss in higher difficulties?
Otherwise Idk about who you are talking about.

7 hours ago, Byakuren Hijiri said:

I tried so many times this stage, but I suck for some reason.
I'm already glad not to lose any lives anymore.

Where is Nue in UFO's maingame?
You meant the moon looking likish thing which drops a life, if you lose neither lives, nor using bombs?
Or is she an extra boss in higher difficulties?
Otherwise Idk about who you are talking about.

Nue is the midboss of Stage 4 and 6.  Because her power is making things unidentified, she appears as a glowing blue sphere until her boss fight in the extra.