37 members have voted

1. 1. which is best touhou soundtrack?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Rosalina said:

I tried to prove myself by playing T8 at Dokomi for the audience in normal, but I failed miserably (came to stage 5). 

Well, it has been more than two years when I played this game the last time.

At what place?

It was at some conviction.

I never ever have been there before, not even heared of it, but it was quite fun, especially the gaming section.

Played also a bit Smash Melee for nostalgy reasons.

Unfortunately I missed the opportunity of cosplaying because I did not expect to have changing rooms there, but now I know.

I also made my thoughts about next year's cosplay:

Spoiler
  • Yukari
  • Miko
  • Junko
  • Byakuren

• 4 weeks later...

I dunno if Soku's even going to get released, considering people basically only played that for the comp scene before AOCF came out. Oh, and Sanae, I guess. Her mecha obsession is kind of cute. 

the hakurei god is stored in the heart
but yeah 15.5 doesn't do a lot to explain who the hell Byakuren is, even though her story with Miko is very good. it's just assuming you already know. (Yukari's a bastard no matter which game she's in, so she doesn't need that much explanation; thus i really haven't had that problem) 

Oooh, neat! I mostly got into Touhou from some friends, read up on all the main youkai exterminators, and then played SWR. I actually thought Yukari was boring at first, but that was mostly Alphes's art's fault. The bright yellow doesn't do her or Marisa any favors. 

6 minutes ago, 0 Def Cleric said:

Oooh, neat! I mostly got into Touhou from some friends, read up on all the main youkai exterminators, and then played SWR. I actually thought Yukari was boring at first, but that was mostly Alphes's art's fault. The bright yellow doesn't do her or Marisa any favors. 

Can I ask you why this (v) got in my head?

Yukari: Marisa, it’s called blonde, not yellow.

Marisa: But why the heck do we call it that when it literally is yellow?

Yukari: That is a rather complex thought, but I think English has screwed you over.

Marisa: Eng-what?

Yukari: ...

(I dunno, I don’t think the word English is in the Gensokyo lexicon for some reason.)

Edited by Azure in a Roundabout

3 minutes ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

(I dunno, I don’t think the word English is in the Gensokyo lexicon for some reason.)

I mean, apart from the youkai that travel to and from the outside world, Sanae, and Sumireko, there's no reason for anyone to have to think about English existing. So although funny, that might not be as far from the truth as you'd think. 
(Obviously there's the idea of other languages, but most people in Gensokyo would probably only know about Chinese and maybe Korean, thanks to the cultural intermingling of the countries pre-Meiji).

4 minutes ago, 0 Def Cleric said:

I mean, apart from the youkai that travel to and from the outside world, Sanae, and Sumireko, there's no reason for anyone to have to think about English existing. So although funny, that might not be as far from the truth as you'd think. 
(Obviously there's the idea of other languages, but most people in Gensokyo would probably only know about Chinese and maybe Korean, thanks to the cultural intermingling of the countries pre-Meiji).

You are right.

What would be everyone’s first language be, anyway?

Like, most the the characters who have Japanese names probably have Japanese as their first.

But then you have literally everyone from the the moon, and who knows what language they use (maybe they speak Japanese too, but who knows if their script is, like, D&D’s Draconic script or something).

Then you have Junko and Mei-Ling (and I think some others, don’t know who), who likely had Chinese as their first language.

I am of the party who thinks Remilia and Flandre are of French origin, but that is technically not official.

And then there’s Marisa and Alice.

Well, Marisa has a Japanese surname, so maybe Japanese, but Alice? Maybe English.

Guess the tumblr energy flows through me. Or something. Almost like I should have had an account in its prime.

1 minute ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

What would be everyone’s first language be, anyway?

Like, most the the characters who have Japanese names probably have Japanese as their first.

Probably a good idea is "everyone originating from Gensokyo speaks Japanese as their first language", even fairies with weird non-Japanese names like Sunny Milk and Star Sapphire. Marisa's first name is Japanese too, written in kanji, although it's a kira-kira name, so perhaps her parents were from the outside world, or her grandparents?

Junko, Meiling, Chang'e and Seiga are all Chinese in origin. (Seiga gets the nickname "nyan-nyan" because calling her Lady Seiga in Chinese would be Seiga Niang-Niang, which you can see how that got corrupted into the former.) Alice is definitely non-Gensokyan, probably English with a name like that. Sakuya isn't originally named that either (Remilia gave her her name), so she might speak French as a first language as well.

The moon people are all the amatsukami of Shinto, so it would make sense for them to speak Japanese as a first language. I theorize that the moon was originally inhabited by Chinese gods like Chang'e, but it got invaded by the current Lunarians, which is why Junko isn't considered a lunarian, and at least part of why Chang'e is imprisoned (after all, she's the original commander of the moon rabbits, supported by Chinese myth.)

7 minutes ago, 0 Def Cleric said:

Probably a good idea is "everyone originating from Gensokyo speaks Japanese as their first language", even fairies with weird non-Japanese names like Sunny Milk and Star Sapphire. Marisa's first name is Japanese too, written in kanji, although it's a kira-kira name, so perhaps her parents were from the outside world, or her grandparents?

Junko, Meiling, Chang'e and Seiga are all Chinese in origin. (Seiga gets the nickname "nyan-nyan" because calling her Lady Seiga in Chinese would be Seiga Niang-Niang, which you can see how that got corrupted into the former.) Alice is definitely non-Gensokyan, probably English with a name like that. Sakuya isn't originally named that either (Remilia gave her her name), so she might speak French as a first language as well.

The moon people are all the amatsukami of Shinto, so it would make sense for them to speak Japanese as a first language. I theorize that the moon was originally inhabited by Chinese gods like Chang'e, but it got invaded by the current Lunarians, which is why Junko isn't considered a lunarian, and at least part of why Chang'e is imprisoned (after all, she's the original commander of the moon rabbits, supported by Chinese myth.)

Ok, I understand now.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...