What is "grinding"?

KainReaver

Im doing my first lunatic play. Im now on chapter 13 and i have been using Ex Exp to build up units i want to use that are lagging behind. I've been reading a few post here and there and it's made me wonder what do you class as "grinding". If you don't use/have Exceptional exp does that mean you don't grind? Do Risen battles count? Is using one or two units to clear a chapter grinding? Im interested in what you guys/girls think.

I don't find it useful to categorize things as "grinding" because that title isn't very descriptive. Things like DLC, Risen, Logbook, Spotpass, Streetpass and Renown quantities are much more precise.

And, if the bosses are on thrones/gates, the classic boss abuse method.

Not that it's feasible, but it is a thing.

I don't find it useful to categorize things as "grinding" because that title isn't very descriptive. Things like DLC, Risen, Logbook, Spotpass, Streetpass and Renown quantities are much more precise.

To be fair, the only thing that I would categorizing this would be Staff abuse; such as spamming Rescue staffs on your units for more Exp if that counts. lol : /

Thanks for all the replys. Seems Im not the only one who considers thing other then just replaying maps as grinding. Im not the sort of person to worry about it. Im grinding to reduce the frustration of lunatic but not to much as to lose the challenge.

I find grinding to be a pain in this game. It's super fun to plan out all my pairs and skill sets, but then once I'm actually playing maps, grinding and second sealing 3+ times on each character is becoming a massive chore. Especially if you're trying to be optimal by doing things like putting Galeforce on every single character who can obtain it.

On the flip side though, I like that Awakening gives you the capability of raising any character you want to raise with grinding options. No character is a lost cause if they fall behind the way it would be in previous games.

Edited by Radiant head

Thanks for all the replys. Seems Im not the only one who considers thing other then just replaying maps as grinding. Im not the sort of person to worry about it. Im grinding to reduce the frustration of lunatic but not to much as to lose the challenge.

Just a warning, the amount of grinding you can do that will actually help on Lunatic but not break it completely is surprisingly precise.

Just a warning, the amount of grinding you can do that will actually help on Lunatic but not break it completely is surprisingly precise.

Thanks for the tip. My favorite thing about awakening is the characters so even if i do a lot of grinding it stills works out as not a lot per character and if any character gets to op they will be benched until the enemy catch up.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh right.

I never had to grind in 8 because of lolSeth.

Off topic: Yeah, I found Sacred Stones easier than Awakening, to be honest. Especially Myrrh makes the final chapter/boss look like a level 1 Donnel in Lunatic+'s Final Chapter...

On topic: Like everyone else has already said: in gaming, grinding is getting extra experience, money or weapons without progressing through the story.