What would you change? (Potential Mechanics Spoilers)

Glorie

If you had the power to do an update, patch, fix, what-have-you for the Fire Emblem If game, or were able to influence Devs before the release of Fates in other countries, what would be the things you would change?

Personally, I would change the Marriage and Buddy Seals so you would take on whatever class you didn't already have in your repertoire.

Like, If Oboro marries Takumi, She gets Bowman, but he gets nothing because Lance Fighter is his secondary already. I'd make it so he'd get Herb Merchant (Oboro's secondary class) instead. Joker, when becoming friends with Cyrus/Silas/However-you-spell-it, He'd get mercenary instead of nothing. Saizou could become a Pegasus Rider by being friends with Ryouma (I still think it's a little funny that Ryouma can be a Pegasus Knight. Manly man and his pretty pony).

Please, if you have a plot spoiler, put it in spoiler tags! Not for my sake, but for others'! Game mechanics are fine, however.

Edited by Glorie

Remove forging from the game or at least tweak it so it's not broken

Change around the class bonuses, base stats, and caps

Miscellaneous weapon/item tweaks

Make the game more difficult (variable) (Grima was "actually difficult". To a certain extent. These final bosses? Not so much)

Tweak/add/remove skills (Vantage+ enemies anyone? Sure it might not be "such" a great idea)

Adjust the AI a little bit (AI behavior is ..kind of awkward)

Add Lunatic + (or equivalent). "Because the game is totally not hard enough yet"

Change calculations formula (may or may not be necessary depending on stat tweaks themselves)

Remove statues (They break the game, I don't want to see units one shotting the final boss, or you could argue it's just that the enemies are too weak)

Change healing formula to (+0.5 Magic) instead. 1/3 makes it such that everyone heals almost the same amount anyway.

I would also increase Autumn/Winter/Physic/Fortify healing by 5 or even 10.

I know they want to promote "low hp emblem" and discourage use of higher tier heals, but it's to the point that Physic is so bad you'd not even want to use it

Not that you'd use them, due to limited charges. I'd think of something to nerf Rescue staves but I haven't got any idea

I know they don't sell chest keys to encourage use of locktouch characters, but "forcing" people to use locktouch characters isn't very..nice, so to speak.

(I know you could just like, buy locktouch for Kamui, but...)

I would say something about rebalancing growths, but..it feels wrong somehow.

I would add more same gender supports, but then it's not just mechanics anymore since it involves actual dialogue

While people might say it's not fair, I'd like to remove the option of getting free 20/99 characters from other players

Change Guard Stance so that only attacks that do damage fill up the gauge

In my opinion, being a dodge tank AND a tank AND having shield gauge is just not fair

While I'm on this topic, maybe make it so that Dual Strikes consume 1 segment of the gauge instead, so that they're not "entirely" useless

Some may say this defeats the purpose of Guard Stance, but I think it's still fair

The game itself isn't so bad on all accounts...

More specific ones, but Yato. Raijin Katana, and Siegfried (not that you'd "ever not use them") should only give their bonuses when equipped. I don't really mind giving Brunhilde or Fuujin Bow their bonuses when unequipped. While I'm on the topic, it might be a bit much, but I'd boost Brunhilde's ability, maybe increase the proc rate to 1.5 Skill % or so, to make it a bit more useful

It's complicated, but sometimes I feel that debuffs wearing off 1 point each turn is very slow. Maybe make it 2 points per turn? (I know there's a Dread Fighter skill that does it, but that's another story)

I can't think of any more rambling, that's kind of all for now

Edited by CocoaGalaxy

Removing statues is a big one for me.

Other than that i'd say buffing magic classes slightly. Although Witch might help with that. Atm it feels like there isn't much reason to use tomes when characters like Felicia and Anna can hit just as hard from the magic side using certain hidden weapons as maids and can still proc skills AND debuff on top of it.

Give us more than one Great lord and Lodestar scroll. Please. Every other DLC class has a way for them to be infinite.

Edited by Aquaze

Remove forging from the game or at least tweak it so it's not broken

I always thought that forging in this game is very excessive to match the fact that the weapons can't be broken. I believe you need about 128 of the same weapon to reach the max level which is crazy enough, I would either reduce the amount of weapons needed to forge to the max level but making it weaker or make it so that forging weapons can't be used in PVP(where it just reverts back into it's normal form)

Other things are usually just misc. options for units and weapons. For example, being able to customize the classes with colors instead of having the fixed generic blue. Customizing Yato where you can switch to all of it's different form as well as changing the color of it's aura. Switching Robin's gender when you add his amiibo. The list goes on for this one.

[spoiler=Story-related]Considering that this game is about choice between which family, why not give Kamui two dialogue choice in certain story scenes and support that changes the character's response to it but doesn't affect the story overall. For example if Kamui joins Hoshido in Chapter 6, Marx will give a speech about loving Kamui like a real brother even though they are not related and pled for Kamui to return. Kamui is given two option to respond. The first option is the passive option, trying to reason with Marx into joining Hoshido to stop Garon which results in Marx calling Kamui a traitor and attacking him until Ryoma interferes. The second option is the emotional response in which Kamui attacks Marx in a fit of rage, accusing him of siding with Garon in killing Mikoto and lying about his heritage. The result is Ryoma apprending Kamui in order to get him to calm down, while Kamui is pulled away, he denounce his Nohr heritage in which Marx respond by calling him a traitor.

The end result in the same, but the scene that plays them out is different and adds a lot to Kamui's personality especially when he is suppose to reflect us as an avatar character.

I would change a few game mechanics but I haven't fully understood the game yet so I will refrain from talking about it.

Also as a side note, having some connectivity with Awakening would be nice (Aside from the Awakening DLC)

Edited by TanatatKnight

A lot, I'd say, let's start with...

Stats: Cap them at 30. What's wrong with the GBA games anyway?

Growths: The difference between units is too extreme. That said, one thing they did right is that units tend to have extreme Def, Res, or some middle ground in between. You don't see someone with 50 Def and 50 Res often.

Skills: Lock them to currently active classes. Remove skill hording.

Guard Stance: Make it happen often, but no longer block all Attack Stance strikes. You get about 1.25x to 1.5x firepower in Attack Stance, so Guard Stance should give some 20~35% protection. (The current implementation does give this kind of protection, although players may find it difficult to have to enter the attack range of 5 enemies at once and expect to survive, so maybe skewering it a bit to the player's favour isn't a bad idea...)

Grinding: Don't allow anything beyond level 20. Use boost items instead. You're much more in control of what stats you're getting that way.

Statues: Level 1 is good. Levels 2 and 3 should focus on slightly raising stats for the target unit ONLY. And they should match the actual unit's stats (Aqua should have Speed, Luna should have Defence, and so on).

DLC items and unit types: They're applicable to everyone, making them all feel generic. I'd say they should impose unit type caps, DS-style. (Limiting these items to one per playthrough may not be a good idea, since players may change their minds later.) And Hydra's blood should never have existed. (I like the DLC maps themselves, though.)

A lot of these do fall under the category "if you don't like it, don't use it" (don't use statues, without which the stats do stick to around 35; pretend the DLC items don't exist, and never reclass...), and I'd say the game is more than fine if played that way. It's the main story that they need to fix (I thought it was fine at first, but now I think Kamui is horrible), but oh well.

Personally, I would change the Marriage and Buddy Seals so you would take on whatever class you didn't already have in your repertoire.

Like, If Oboro marries Takumi, She gets Bowman, but he gets nothing because Lance Fighter is his secondary already. I'd make it so he'd get Herb Merchant (Oboro's secondary class) instead. Joker, when becoming friends with Cyrus/Silas/However-you-spell-it, He'd get mercenary instead of nothing. Saizou could become a Pegasus Rider by being friends with Ryouma (I still think it's a little funny that Ryouma can be a Pegasus Knight. Manly man and his pretty pony).

I think the best part is that Saizou and Suzukaze can A+ support. They share their main AND secondary classes!

And there's nothing wrong with men riding ponies.

Edited by nocturnal YL

While I haven't had anyone actually explain the forging mechanics in detail, they tried to balance it out, but it doesn't work this time

Iron=1000

Steel=2000

Silver=4000

+2 Iron Katana: ~10 Might, no drawbacks

+1 Steel Katana: 11 Might, -3 Ability to Double

Silver Katana: 12 Might, -2 STR/SKL per battle (recovers 1 per turn)

While the numbers and mechanics may not be 100% hammered out yet, it kind of reduces the whole Iron vs Steel vs Silver thing when your Iron is nearly as strong but with no drawbacks

I didn't gather more info on the forging, but really.

(You could argue that trying to beat 40~ Defense Generals if and when they put Armor Shield on them would be a tall order but.....really now)

Like depending on the aspect, there are lots of miscellaneous quibbles, but I think the general points I mentioned cover most of them at least.

(And don't even get me started on forged effective weapons. Not that I entirely know, but still)

Edited by CocoaGalaxy

I'd definitely want this. It kinda bothers me how Luna gets nothing new from marrying Subaki, which is a shame because I really love the pairing and Luna!Matoi. And in the case of Kaze and Saizou, it gets even weirder because they have the exact same class set. I was expecting them to get Cavalier or Mercenary from each other (because of parallels), but it hit me hard when I realized they just got Samurai.

I would make the regular heal staff heal more than its Hoshidan counterpart, the Bloom Festal. I feel like the baton has a good advantage due to being 1-2 ranged, and that simply healing 3 HP more is not a big enough difference to make me want to use the Heal staff instead. I'd make the formula (12 + Magic/3) instead of (10 + Magic/3) to give a 5 HP boost over the Bloom Festal. It's a very small, and probably stupid idea, but it's something that's been bothering me.

Other than that, there's nothing really else I could think of that I would want to change.

-Non-generic weapon icons.

-Allow the player to buy limited stock equipment in other players' My Castle (keep the "limited" part though)

-Give unique color pallets for the natural promotion paths if not all promotions.

-Give the royal sisters unique weapons.

-Nerf the other royal weapons a bit. Raijin Katana and Fuujin Bow are the best weapons 90% of the time.

-Remove gratuitous fan-service to female class outfits

-More Dark tomes and Light Magic

-Make it so attacks that would deal zero damage don't activate a Guard Stance block

I have other changes I would add (such as the story) but these points are probably the best I could hope for out of a patch.

Change healing formula to (+0.5 Magic) instead. 1/3 makes it such that everyone heals almost the same amount anyway.

I would also increase Autumn/Winter/Physic/Fortify healing by 5 or even 10.

I know they want to promote "low hp emblem" and discourage use of higher tier heals, but it's to the point that Physic is so bad you'd not even want to use it

I would add more same gender supports, but then it's not just mechanics anymore since it involves actual dialogue

I always thought that forging in this game is very excessive to match the fact that the weapons can't be broken. I believe you need about 128 of the same weapon to reach the max level which is crazy enough, I would either reduce the amount of weapons needed to forge to the max level but making it weaker or make it so that forging weapons can't be used in PVP(where it just reverts back into it's normal form)

And these.

Skills: Lock them to currently active classes. Remove skill hording.

Rather than locking the skills completely, I think it would be cooler if the skills had an additional effect if on its native class. Skill triggers could activate more often, certain skills getting stronger stat buffs, etc.

Edited by NekoKnight

Allowing players to buy limited stock items would kind of defeat the purpose of the armory in the first place though, in my opinion. The current system isn't entirely unfair anyway

While the 0 damage thing might have a point, I'm more concerned (though it probably happens less often) about Dual Guarding 0% hit attacks

Mind you, in my opinion, it makes Guard Stance a little less broken, but still.

Edited by CocoaGalaxy

I just mean the ability to buy Nohr and Hoshido exclusive weapons besides the basics. They give us interaction between different versions of the game and then they make it pointless by locking out all the items worth buying (staves are an exception).

I just mean the ability to buy Nohr and Hoshido exclusive weapons besides the basics. They give us interaction between different versions of the game and then they make it pointless by locking out all the items worth buying (staves are an exception).

I think the game wants to encourage you to get them through item chests instead. That doesn't cover most of the exclusive items, though.

I think the game wants to encourage you to get them through item chests instead. That doesn't cover most of the exclusive items, though.

If they were acquirable somehow in game, I wouldn't mind, but as it stands you need DLC which is unfair, in my opinion.

Charging extra to get all the weapons in the game and to make forging possible is bad game design.

While I haven't had anyone actually explain the forging mechanics in detail, they tried to balance it out, but it doesn't work this time

Iron=1000

Steel=2000

Silver=4000

+2 Iron Katana: ~10 Might, no drawbacks

+1 Steel Katana: 11 Might, -3 Ability to Double

Silver Katana: 12 Might, -2 STR/SKL per battle (recovers 1 per turn)

While the numbers and mechanics may not be 100% hammered out yet, it kind of reduces the whole Iron vs Steel vs Silver thing when your Iron is nearly as strong but with no drawbacks

I didn't gather more info on the forging, but really.

(You could argue that trying to beat 40~ Defense Generals if and when they put Armor Shield on them would be a tall order but.....really now)

Like depending on the aspect, there are lots of miscellaneous quibbles, but I think the general points I mentioned cover most of them at least.

(And don't even get me started on forged effective weapons. Not that I entirely know, but still)

The forging for Iron, Steel and Silver weapons works like this (these effects are cumulative):

+1:

Increase Might by 2

+2:

Increase Might by 2

Increase Hit by 2

+3:

Increase Might by 2

Increase Hit by 2

Increase Critical by 1

+4:

Increase Might by 2

Increase Hit by 2

Increase Critical by 2

+5:

Increase Might by 1

Increase Hit by 4

Increase Critical by 3

+6:

Increase Might by 1

Increase Hit by 4 (inconsistent)

Increase Critical by 4

+7:

Increase Might by 1

Increase Hit by 4 (inconsistent)

Increase Critical by 5

These numbers are inconsistent among weapons and don't apply to enemy forging, apparently. On average, though, the stats at +7 will be +11Mt/+18Ht/+15Ct.

This means that at +2, an Iron weapon is better than a Steel weapon in literally every way, and getting an Iron weapon to +2 requires only 4 gems and 4000G (assuming that weapon isn't on sale that chapter). At +4, an Iron Weapon has surpassed its Silver counterpart, for a high but easily attainable cost of 26 gems and 16000G.

So forged Iron weapons basically make Silver Weapons obsolete in-game. There is no need to use Silver Weapons and suffer their drawbacks when you can give units reliable weapons with equivalent power but higher Hit. While you can forge Silver Weapons, there is no need for 20+Mt weapons in normal gameplay, and the cost is excessive.

So yes, I think forging throws the game balance out of whack and put a dark spot on the weapon system, which is otherwise one of the best in the series.

Edited by gayserbeam

Oh, I forgot. I'd make Support ranks, Relationship markers and class information (such as "Armored" "Flying") visible in the interface. I don't know why they took that out.

Edited by NekoKnight

Give Pieri-mothered units her blue-pink gradient hair.

Make child units more relevant to the plot. They're still cool though.

Make it so that children aren't raised in some hyperbolic time chamber. It's best if we just stick with "they came from the future."

Make Rinkah's stats match her abs. (Seriously, low strength.)

Give all non-Jagen type units good growths and caps. Luna deserves better than being a bench warmer for hardcore players.

Add Flora and Jakob supports.

Add more supports between characters of both sides.

Add more same-gender supports.

Same with S-Supports *cough*SoleilXOphelia*cough*

Also I would change some supports so people are less idiotic and flat in this game. *cough*SoleilandMaleCorrinSupports*cough*

and finally add skinship for the amiibos i want to pet Ike's pretty face That is all.

and for the record I like Soleil

Dunno if it would even fall into this category, but Id change how everybody can marry practically everybody. Yes, there were some characters in Awakening who had too limited of a spouse pool *coughcough*SUMIA*coughcough* and yes now we can 'customize' the children units even more, but it just doesn't really feel..natural to me. I actually sort of enjoyed Chrom's limited pool, and it felt like a challenge to decide who to marry him to. Why are all these people content with marrying whoever?? I guess Ill find out when I start reading supports when the game is out, but yeah.

Dunno if it would even fall into this category, but Id change how everybody can marry practically everybody. Yes, there were some characters in Awakening who had too limited of a spouse pool *coughcough*SUMIA*coughcough* and yes now we can 'customize' the children units even more, but it just doesn't really feel..natural to me. I actually sort of enjoyed Chrom's limited pool, and it felt like a challenge to decide who to marry him to. Why are all these people content with marrying whoever?? I guess Ill find out when I start reading supports when the game is out, but yeah.

Sumia and Chrom both have 5 spouse options. Considering most characters in other FE games got at most 3 paired endings, even 5 pairs is being generous. I think the problem with the system they made for Awakening and Fates is that they tied marriage (something that should exist for characterization) to gameplay customization.

If I patched the game, I'd just remove marriages between incompatible people and add in a new method for class sharing (ala Buddy Seals).

Sumia and Chrom both have 5 spouse options. Considering most characters in other FE games got at most 3 paired endings, even 5 pairs is being generous. I think the problem with the system they made for Awakening and Fates is that they tied marriage (something that should exist for characterization) to gameplay customization.

If I patched the game, I'd just remove marriages between incompatible people and add in a new method for class sharing (ala Buddy Seals).

I dont have a problem with Chrom because he normally chroms(hahaha) first. By the time I'd be ready to marry Sumia off, most of her potential husbands would be married already. Didnt help because Id always be marrying Henry to my MU. I havent gotten to playing the other games yet so I dont know how to other marriage systems work, but I like this one/Awakenings. I enjoy the customization part because it adds to the strategy, imo.

I dont have a problem with Chrom because he normally chroms(hahaha) first. By the time I'd be ready to marry Sumia off, most of her potential husbands would be married already. Didnt help because Id always be marrying Henry to my MU. I havent gotten to playing the other games yet so I dont know how to other marriage systems work, but I like this one/Awakenings. I enjoy the customization part because it adds to the strategy, imo.

You don't really marry. You get two supports to A rank and by the prologue, it says they're married. Such as Sain and Fiora:

Saint and Fiora

Although they returned to their respective countries, Sain and Fiora continued to seek each other out. When Lyn abdicated Caelin's rule to Ostia, Sain resigned his commission and moved to Illia. They later wed.

Bring back affinity and allow for non-dialogue supports. Let a character get as many supports as they want, but only let 5 points worth be active at once. It'd add another menu, 'equip supports', but it'd feel better to me as a system than the 0-12 or whatever it is generic scale. Write better, more interesting supports for what dialogue supports exist. Marriage? Let anybody marry anybody, sure, even if there is no dialogue. make divorce a thing too and cause the dumb children to instantly back to the future disappear, with their paralogue opening up as non-chapter instant-recruit points should they marry again