Better Mugs for FE:Requiem (Check OP for current edits)

Sacred Blaze

Hey there, everyone.

So I want to make some improvements to some of the mugs currently in my hack over in the Fan Projects section, Requiem, and I was wondering if there's anyone who wants to try their hand at it?

• For those who don't know, my hack is already in a "finished" state, (meaning it has a start and an end already, but isn't perfectly fine-tuned) so this isn't a completely empty request.
  • I know this will be a dealbreaker for some people, which is fine, but I don't really have cash to offer out to people for mugs.
  • I'm not asking anyone for a whole cast of full-custom mugs or anything like that, as cool as it would be. Even if it's just a minor rework, that's fine by me, not to mention, easier for you.

As things are right now the collection of mugs for all the characters in the game is this: (Now with names)

[spoiler=Mugs]

UQfaLGG.png

I've put the colours (red, orange and yellow) next to the portraits to sort of indicate how I feel about them at the moment.

• Yellow means that I'm sort of happy with it. That's not to say that they're exactly great, but just that they don't need as much work as others clearly do, maybe?
  • Orange means that there's more room for work to be done.
  • The ones in red are those that I think can probably use a lot more work.

I'm sure that there's some debate on that, but it doesn't really matter anyway, seeing as all of them can use work.

Just some general notes:

Row 1-4 = Player Characters (Starting with the four main characters and then going in order of recruitment.)

Row 5-6 = Bosses (More important ones on the 6th row)

Row 7 = Other Characters

I say this because I'll probably end up dipping into NICKT's mug collection for the non-important bosses or the later-joining player characters in particular, because how they look isn't that important. So whilst I would still happily accept any contributions, I would advise putting less priority on them.

I've started inserting some of the contributions in now, so I thought I'd start properly keeping track of it.

I'll try my best to update it somewhat frequently.

[spoiler=Done Mugs]

Update: Added who made what in. If I'm missing something or anything is incorrect, please let me know. No name will mean an anonymous contributor for now.

Mugs%20New.png

• Them being on here doesn't mean that I won't accept any different versions, but it would probably be better if you worked on someone else, unless you've got a much better idea in mind.
  • Purple background for now will mean that I haven't inserted it yet. That might be because I haven't gotten around it to just quite yet, or I'm still thinking about something to do. (The latter should be pretty obvious, if you can't see much of a difference at all) If you want to do anything with these ones, you should probably ask me.
  • Light blue just means that I did the changes on them as they are. If someone wants to make more edits to these, then go right ahead. For now, though they have been inserted.

If you want to ask me anything specifically about a character or something you can PM me or add me on Skype, (Check my profile) whatever works for you.

Any help towards this matter would be greatly appreciated and of course, if I accept your work, I'll add you to the credits of the hack. (If you want it)

Edited by Sacred Blaze

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Made a quick edit on Valentine. What do you think?

Valentine_zpsu15jp7fk.png

I think that the armour (FE8 Syrene, right?) is a little bit too big for her, maybe?

But it's not bad, yeah. I would ask if there's any way you could get rid of the extra strand of hair on her shoulder as well, because it seems a little out of place, but then again, I wouldn't be able to remove it myself if I tried, so I can't really talk.

In other news anyway, someone was kind enough to give me some mugs for Val and Andrei that I'm really digging as of right now.

gbZL86O.png

(And if you see this, I did just give her original eye colour back to her to see something for myself.)

@Blue Druid. I noticed you gave her red eyes as well. Was that just because of the 16 colour limit or do you think it looks better that way?

Edited by Sacred Blaze

8492f8f147faa7a7adddf6d9b647c01a.png

This kid's face bugged me, and you had a few stray colors in there.

Yeah, Ash started off a terrible early splice of mine before being "upgraded" to this and then he was still pretty bad so I threw a hood on him to cover up some of the badness.

This is good though. Actually makes him not look so much like a kid anymore, which he isn't supposed to.

omg val is hot

Agreed.

I'm glad that the spriter managed to keep keep my random idea of the high shoulder pad that I did so poorly before as well, lol.

I tried to revamp Legato, but the armor wrecked me when I tried to make it look better so maybe someone can pick up where I left off (just the face, really).

KwqRLMH.png

There were some stray colors in the portrait, so it now only has 13 colors. I recommend using the extra three to give his under-clothing a color and make the logo on his shoulder pad blend in more. His skin-color eyes are gone because it was tough to tell where the eyes ended and skin began, but the extra colors could also be used to give him orange/brownish eyes like he used to have.

If you like what I did to him, I'll try my hand at one of the player characters next.

Val looks a lot better with her original (grey) eye colors imo. As for Andrei, he's 100% more likely to be used by me on my next playthrough.

Edited by Alusq

@Blue Druid. I noticed you gave her red eyes as well. Was that just because of the 16 colour limit or do you think it looks better that way?

Because I thought it looked better. The other spriter's rendition is much better though.

I tried to revamp Legato, but the armor wrecked me when I tried to make it look better so maybe someone can pick up where I left off (just the face, really).

KwqRLMH.png

There were some stray colors in the portrait, so it now only has 13 colors. I recommend using the extra three to give his under-clothing a color and make the logo on his shoulder pad blend in more. His skin-color eyes are gone because it was tough to tell where the eyes ended and skin began, but the extra colors could also be used to give him orange/brownish eyes like he used to have.

If you like what I did to him, I'll try my hand at one of the player characters next.

Val looks a lot better with her original (grey) eye colors imo. As for Andrei, he's 100% more likely to be used by me on my next playthrough.

Legato looks ten years younger suddenly, lol.

I think it looks quite good though.

Thanks for the hair redesign. Not really sure what the bit at the back was doing before, but it looks better now.

Something might need to be done about his eyes though. Maybe the colour in his eyes should go in the end or maybe or be a some sort of darker colour. Right now, he seems to have lost a little bit of the "evilness" in his eyes.

And yeah, go ahead with another character if you want to.

And yeah, I prefer the original colour in Val's eyes as well, but maybe that's just because I made it that way in the first place.

b6mnKrt.png

I did a few edits, mostly just palette changes. but some added shading and messing with proportions as well.

Nooo, what happened to Pamela's (top-right) decorated armour?

Nah, I don't really care that much.

These are pretty good. Something about the Matthias (top-left guy) seems a bit off around and above his right eye though. Or maybe it's just me?

I was thinking about getting some entirely new mugs for the two middle guys, but they seem alright now, with the small additions of detail.

Glad you could do something about the hair on Pamela and Katarina (bottom-left). Katarina looks more serious now with the better shaded eyes, which is good as well.

Edited Val's dad. I fixed his shoulder which was being cut by the hackbox, and edited the palette to look more lively.

vals%20dad_zps15l3fcrs.png

The lighter armour seems to interfere with the part of his hair that's the same colour, I think. Makes it look more like a blue-ish highlight than a little bit of grey in the hair.

But oh crap, I think I'd forgotten after all of this time that he actually gets cut off in the hackbox. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

Edited by Sacred Blaze

The lighter armour seems to interfere with the part of his hair that's the same colour, I think. Makes it look more like a blue-ish highlight than a little bit of grey in the hair.

But oh crap, I think I'd forgotten after all of this time that he actually gets cut off in the hackbox. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

vals%20dad%202_zpsbgmtv8ih.png

Here is a version with the original colour then.

Some more contributions to show off today.

Dg69b6g.png

• New hooded and non-hooded version of Ash.
  • The third Ash is an edit of Yoshi's one with some more interesting clothing on. (see earlier in the topic)
  • Got some new armour on Val's dad along with some slicker looking hair.
  • And Alicia is now a floating head. (WIP obviously.)

Wow, those are some awesome mugs! Alicia looks kind of mannish though.

Eh, that's not really a big deal imo, although I do kind of see what you're saying.

Alicia's wip... it feels like the eyes may be too far apart? (Also, I think her eye my also be a bit low, or her forehead is huge?, ...maybe her entire face is a bit too low not sure which... lol)

But yea, I'm likin' these revamps.

The eye is a little bit lower than before I think. The different angling on her face might also be adding to that a bit, but I don't know.

Anyway, what do people think about the two different versions of Ash, as things are?

I ask this not because I think a certain one is bad myself, but just because I'm not sure which one to go with.

Ash's default portrait has a hood which makes me inclined to go for the one that does myself, but then it's not like that can't be done for the other one anyway.

I do think that Ash looks kind of angry in the first one though, which isn't really him for the most part, but then again that could always be a used as angry/serious expression for Ash or something in game, like FE7 had for the lords.

Edited by Sacred Blaze

I agree with Snake Mom...

This Ash is the most interesting version, and best looking to me. Not really angry either... More just kinda angsty? Broody?

Body also looks better than the other versions presented.

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

You think so? I prefer the design elements on this one. :\

Maybe I will give another look.

Edit:

Dg69b6g.png

Vs

...Yoshi's edit still looks more interesting to my eyes. What do you prefer with the other ones?

Edited by TheErrantShepherd