Better Mugs for FE:Requiem (Check OP for current edits)

Sacred Blaze

I mean okay I guess you could be passive-aggressive or maybe you could just actually accept critique, I'd suggest the second thing

(Or even just, like. Openly reject it without writing a small essay in struckthrough text about how the world hates you?)

Edited by Parrhesia

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The green guy's hair was pretty adequate, even if it was a splice(?), it doesn't ring up to a specific character right away so I don't see any reason to have it changed.

Issues with Nickt's edit (I'm in the boat that Toa's edit is adequate, Nickt's is Nickt's for the sake of being Nickt's, why he wanted to touch something a few people had already touched, who knows):

-The cheekbone is usually on really gaunt characters, it doesn't look right here as everything else points towards a standard physique (other side of the face, the neck is filled out, the chin is strong, eyes aren't sunken, cheekbone isn't affected on nose-side).

- The hair doesn't have any attention to lighting nor any sense of depth (all the spikes are lit like they're on the same plane). It also lacks a hair whorl or just any sort of starting point, which is unrealistic and gives off the look it's a pasted on wig. With the way the spikes are arranged (lacking direction), it just comes off as a bed-head paired with an uneven hair cut.

- Wall-eye was put in, and just random little issues (confused lighting and design direction) that would stand out once someone pointed them out.

You people really do love reading whatever you want in things, don't you?

wow

just wow

^yeah that's a massive improvement in all aspects really

you should make a new mug sheet of the edited characters, that would be pretty cool

derp you already did that

nevermind..

Edited by Ghastly

Stuff went down whilst I was away, huh?

I'll avoid getting into it just for the sake of not starting it back up.

"Character who thinks he's the protagonist, but isn't the protagonist" is a hilarious archetype~

... After Nickt's Keiran, I think maybe it would be beneficial if you put the names and personalities of the characters in addition to their portraits? As cool as the armor is, maybe the hilarious clash with the character's personality (which struck me as the opposite of flashy) could have been averted.

Probably would have been a better personality for Jace than the one he currently has, which I don't really think is explored well.

And yeah, maybe I'll do this with the names and stuff then.

Honestly, (and this is for those that don't know the characters) there are only a small handful of characters that would do well with a particularly flashy get-up or hairstyle. A lot of them are pretty down-to-earth in terms of personality for the most part. (Or at least that's what I intended.)

Not really sure what to say on the faces, but nothing stuck out to me as wrong on either one.

So I guess for now, I'll put Toa's edit of Yoshi's Isaac (the green haired guy) as my top pick.

...Unless that handslip is gonna turn into something more.

Edited by Sacred Blaze

Stuff went down whilst I was away, huh?

I'll avoid getting into it just for the sake of not starting it back up.

Not wanting to derail your thread bud. But I have something to say to the situation if that's OK. ;)

---

...so yeah, read what has been said. Followed what the thread is for... This is the Requim spriting revamp project thread right? Did I miss something? ...take a wrong turn into another thread or forums here? (We FFtF or Debates now?)

Wtf is this?I'm team Nickt? I'm team Aeo?

Can we chill a bit here guys?

Like... Are we not better than this petty shit already? :(

...I am too old for highschool drama... Aren't most of us?

---

K... Let's look at what is actually being said by the people involved rather than everybody.

Specifically... What was Aeo saying in her criticism? Beyond her language used,(Aeo is blunt and abrasive... Do we not understand/know this already? She is also crazy helpful if you pay attention... and look past getting pissed off or offended) She had some points that need to be addressed.

To be absolutely fucking honest, Nickt, your hair is a disaster. It's an utter mess of spikes that lack depth and flow, and your shading is all over the place. Also going to have to say that Yoshi's face edits were perfectly adequate, and the addition of viewer-facing eyes and a sunken cheek aren't very appealing at all.

Can Aeo be a bit less abrasive... Sure, but she has VALID points.(...and actually maybe wasn't that bad... I have seen way worse, or more personal/aggressive/attacking before)

Nobody likes being called out. But look past the harsher tone, and look at her points. 'Cause Aeo tends to have some really good points, that can be missed if you choose to get offended rather than really look at what she is saying.

spikes that lack depth and flow, and your shading is all over the place.

Nickt, Aeo has a point. The hair is kinda all over the place. You do good mugs, you are a good artist, but this is an area you might need some work on?

Like... Where is it flowing from? What is the point of origin? Where does the hairline begin? Why are so many of the spikes highlighted by giving them similar levels of shading?

These aren't just nitpicks. These are valid questions.

I don't know the contexts for why the spiky hair is your thing... But its cool if it is.

Point is you ARE a good artist, this is just a questionable design/stylistic choice IMO? Spikes and stuff are cool. Go with them... Nothing wrong with that, but we want to help you (in our various own ways) to improve those spikes as we care about mugs/art in general... And it's just not as good as it could be.

---

Also hey, yeah... If we are gonna validate your stuff... We need to appreciate/recognize the stuff others are doing too? Like Yoshi.

His stuff has been kinda ignored by some of the people in this thread... When its some really good stuff. If you just saw his stuff and had your own thoughts on how it should go... That is one thing.

But seriously is anyone paying attention to the other posted mugs in this thread?

Can we maybe have a list of what is being worked on/tweaked already?

So... We can focus this project and not keep rehashing ones that were already good... Or in progress? We need to communicate here, we need to be having a dialogue, a conversation... Rather than a dozen people just shouting at the air/not acknowledging what the people around them are up to.

...cause that is just... Unhelpful.

Also going to have to say that Yoshi's face edits were perfectly adequate, and the addition of viewer-facing eyes and a sunken cheek aren't very appealing at all.

Aeo has a point in that... You are seemingly ignoring the work other people have been working hard on too... And feeling like people are ignoring some of the stuff you did too.

Dialogue with that. Work from that, or at least go... "Oh hey, I see what you did there... I prefer this. Lemme show ya."

This is a spriting COMMUNITY forums. Not a PERSONAL blog for anyone... Including me. :\

----

Can we all just... Chill and quite pissing in the community pool here?

I'm trying to ENJOY the pool... Maybe teach some swimming lessons, or go for a swim myself. ;)

This stuff... Is like pissing in that pool... Or taking a giant dump in it.

We need to clean this shit up. Or honestly... Who would want to swim here?

/sermon over

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

In response to Errant: As a person who managed to miss a mug edit that I was checking for (seriously wtf mew? IT'S POSTED MORE THAN ONCE), I agree that this is a problem. I feel bad about editing a mug that already got edits, should have been starting a new one or helping with the current edits. It'd probably be useful to create a publicly editable spreadsheet that contains the as-of-unfinished mugs. That way, the TC won't have to keep up with the thread/keep editing their finished mug image. Also it'd be kinda cool if the edits were lined up side by side with the originals (with the creator's name under it or something) as they progress to show how much they changed, as well as keeping credit intact so that it's easy to see who did what.

Not sure if that's too much work, but currently the alternative is running back through the thread and I'm a blind fool when I do that

In response to Errant: As a person who managed to miss a mug edit that I was checking for (seriously wtf mew? IT'S POSTED MORE THAN ONCE), I agree that this is a problem. I feel bad about editing a mug that already got edits, should have been starting a new one or helping with the current edits. It'd probably be useful to create a publicly editable spreadsheet that contains the as-of-unfinished mugs. That way, the TC won't have to keep up with the thread/keep editing their finished mug image. Also it'd be kinda cool if the edits were lined up side by side with the originals (with the creator's name under it or something) as they progress to show how much they changed, as well as keeping credit intact so that it's easy to see who did what.

Not sure if that's too much work, but currently the alternative is running back through the thread and I'm a blind fool when I do that

It happens right? Its cool that the community is wanting to help like this...

How can we do that? Google Doc or something? :o

Yeah, this issue is somewhat due to me being a bit slow in actually getting these portraits and then doing the blinking/mouth frames and inserting them. Also, I'm in the UK, so there's a bunch of timezone shenanigans going on meaning that I'm not actually awake or at university (as I am right now) as the posts start coming in. Sorry about that.

Anyway, I've now added portraits that have come up in the topic that I haven't inserted yet into the main post under the "Done Mugs" bit, if that helps at all.

Edited by Sacred Blaze

Can we chill a bit here guys?

Like... Are we not better than this petty shit already? :(

this unironically, bullshit like that last page is 100% unacceptable.

b96d5667fc3ac7d0b67eaeb8ec673155.png

Original - Same face as the Twin - Slight Edits

Up to you, not sure if you wanted them exactly the same. Also, I didn't know what the orange wing things were, or if the "u" shape were relevant.

b96d5667fc3ac7d0b67eaeb8ec673155.png

Original - Same face as the Twin - Slight Edits

Up to you, not sure if you wanted them exactly the same. Also, I didn't know what the orange wing things were, or if the "u" shape were relevant.

Nice, thank you.

I think I'll go for the middle one in this case, although the earrings could be a nice touch on that one too. Their faces should be pretty much exactly the same.

The wings? No idea, just something random I did. Don't really care about those.

The symbol? That's kind of a thing, I guess. Any chance of getting it back in?

@Yasako

...Yeah, something needs to be done about that Hawke.

Edited by Sacred Blaze

9bc0dfcd6363642e0745d6eb786c938d.png

Sure, and here's a quick edit of pinky.

Looks great, thanks once again.

jKWPNP4.png

clockwise: original, Lenh's improved hair, my improvements to Yasako's, Yasako's.

Yeah, looks better.

His body does looks kind of on the small side, but I don't know whether that's more the new angle messing with my perception than anything else. I'll have to look at it some more.

He doesn't need to be massive, though, before anything happens there.

Anyway, I'll update the front page again to accomodate these new ones.

Edited by Sacred Blaze