What are some loose ends/mysteries FE has left up to interpretation?

darkkfan

Something that's always particularly bothered me is the scene in Awakening during Chapter 5, where "Marth" says "Falchion is gleaming..." and it even has its own CG. It's literally never elaborated on again, and I feel like it would have been important; because why else would Falchion's design be changed to have that unusual hole in the middle?

I think it was to show that the future was changing, Emmeryn's assasination was the first major change that Lucina made to the timeline. Edited by Water Mage

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume Falchion's design was changed to make it look more like a tooth, since it was supposedly forged from one of Naga's fangs.

That actually does kind of make sense. But that also kind of begs the question of why all the Holy Weapons and Regalia were changed.

That actually does kind of make sense. But that also kind of begs the question of why all the Holy Weapons and Regalia were changed.

Well, in FE4, you constantly had to repair the Holy Weapons so it's natural that they don't look the same.

Well, Tyrfing also kind of looks like a tooth. Gae Bolg and Gungnir might have been changed to keep them from looking too much like Gradivus. Armads, no idea (it's still yellow, at any rate). As for Mercurius, maybe they thought the original looked too generic?

The rest look similar enough to their original counterparts.

Was Eliwood's dad planning on rebelling against Ostia?

I dont think so. But you guys are on to something bringing it up in this thread. Cuz it really isnt resolved. But i have a theory about this.

Darin of Laus was all bent on rebelling against Uther and Ostia. Hes getting other Marquesses involved like that putz from Araphen and Marquess Santaruz. Elbert was like "well that is certainly a thing" after hearing the buzz about how some lords' jimmies are rustled. What i think really happened is that he went to Laus under the guise of going along with it, so he could fish out more information as to why there was reported rebellion. (probably thought something was really fishy and ascertained that Laus had some kind of political Big Stick to wave around. Ended up being Ephidel) And thats when Nergal happened. So everyone in the rebel network all thinks Elbert of Pherae was planning on joining rebellion.

I honestly think thats what was going on there, and he was planning on telling Uther what was up if he got any credible information. However, Uther was way ahead of him because Ostia had hella spies like Leila. Seems like most of them were preoccupied with Bern though.

Well, in FE4, you constantly had to repair the Holy Weapons so it's natural that they don't look the same.

I don't buy that theory, especially considering that the Holy Weapons had looked the same for all the years they were in existence before FE4. And for the argument that FE4 takes place probably thousands of years before Awakening, that doesn't explain how obvious changes such as the gem in the Tyrfing becoming nearly invisible and being seperated into two blade thingys.

Why would the localization add something to make it more confusing?

Also, can you tell me the (translated) words of the Japanese version if they left it out? I want to know where exactly and what they cut out.

Here.

Doesn't the English version imply that the Black Knight left Ike alive, even if that conversation wasn't triggered?

Does the Japanese do the same? I'm sure they had to have changed more than one line of dialogue... Plus, PoR's too.

Well, the whole "Want to surpass Greil through beating you" is present in the Japanese version as well, like in the dialogue of 4-E-2.

Far as I know, the only difference is that the localized script for 3-7 changed BK's explanation about not fighting at his fullest. If I were to guess, the translators thought the Warp Powder malfunctioning sounded like a cheap explanation, and decided to change it to deliberately holding himself back, figuring it wouldn't conflict with the rest of the script since it would add to the "beat you to beat Greil" thing.

But well, that's just my guess.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

In Thraccia, August states in Ch6 that the Yied Shrine houses petrified people, incluiding captives from the fight at Barhara from a decade ago. Considering Yied is where Lachesis was last known to be, chances are, but not confirmed, that she might be one more statue there.

In Thraccia, August states in Ch6 that the Yied Shrine houses petrified people, incluiding captives from the fight at Barhara from a decade ago. Considering Yied is where Lachesis was last known to be, chances are, but not confirmed, that she might be one more statue there.

I would agree with that, and that seems to be the most common theory among fans, but I think it was closer to just her dying.

Well, the whole "Want to surpass Greil through beating you" is present in the Japanese version as well, like in the dialogue of 4-E-2.

Far as I know, the only difference is that the localized script for 3-7 changed BK's explanation about not fighting at his fullest. If I were to guess, the translators thought the Warp Powder malfunctioning sounded like a cheap explanation, and decided to change it to deliberately holding himself back, figuring it wouldn't conflict with the rest of the script since it would add to the "beat you to beat Greil" thing.

But well, that's just my guess.

Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that the Black Knight wanted to kill both Ike and Greil in PoR.

IIRC, in the first encounter he mercilessly killed Greil, and would've killed Ike before his father's dying eyes had not Caineghis intervened.

Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that the Black Knight wanted to kill both Ike and Greil in PoR.

I'm not so sure about that. Greil and the Black Knight were pretty much evenly matched (meaning that the Black Knight was holding back) until the Black Knight asked "Do you want to die?" (Japanese: "Shi nuki deska?") and Greil pretty much said yes.

And the Black Knight was clearly surprised that killing Greil would be so easy: "Is that all there is? No challenge? No resistance?"

Edited by Paper Jam

IIRC, in the first encounter he mercilessly killed Greil, and would've killed Ike before his father's dying eyes had not Caineghis intervened.

My guess is that he must have not figured right away that Greil had crippled himself long ago. He could have right away thought that the battle was easier than he expected, but not knowing exactly why, in the heat of the moment he must've not question it until Caineghis drove him away.

Afterwards, having the time to think things undisturbed, he eventually learned of Greil injuring his wrist, realized Ike was the next best thing, and decided to wait it out.

Back then, he didn't really want to kill Ike. He needed to know were Lehran's medallion was and he just mortally wounded the only guy who knew about it's location. Because of this screwup, he had to get Greil to talk quickly. So he threatened his children.

Black Knight:

“Ha. You, who knows better than any what it truly is, threw it away? Surely you can craft a more plausible lie. You’re not even trying anymore.”

Greil:

“I’m done talking to you.”

Black Knight:

“So there’s no way for me to get my answers, is that it? The dead keep their secrets, or so it is said. But you, however…You are not dead yet. I wonder…Will watching your son’s face grow pale, his eyes grow dim as his life bleeds away…And then your daughter… Oh, the horrors I will visit upon her. Will that loosen your tongue, perhaps? I suppose we will simply have to see.”

Unfortunately, a certain cutscene in RD created an inconsistency because it showed that the BK knew that Mist could touch the medallion without consequence, so he should have realized that she was carrying it. He would have still fought Greil because he wanted that duel but he wouldn't have needed any information from him.

I don't think that he really wanted to kill Greil either. It's just that in an all-out battle with swords, someone is likely to get impaled by sharp metal.

Edited by BrightBow

Why does L'Arachel say that her parents died battling monsters in her B support with Eirika (My home of Rausten is so near to Darkling Woods. We experienced many sudden raids. My parents took it upon themselves to defend our people against the monsters.) when they only appeared when Lyon awakened the Demon King? And if there actually existed monsters in the forest before DK, how come no one knows about them? I don't think that would be a secret that's easy to keep.

Why does L'Arachel say that her parents died battling monsters in her B support with Eirika (My home of Rausten is so near to Darkling Woods. We experienced many sudden raids. My parents took it upon themselves to defend our people against the monsters.) when they only appeared when Lyon awakened the Demon King? And if there actually existed monsters in the forest before DK, how come no one knows about them? I don't think that would be a secret that's easy to keep.

Well, considering the place is called Darkling Woods, I'd always imagined it was kind of like Mirkwood from Tolkien's works. Even with the Demon King sealed, he still had followers such as Riev, some of whom could probably channel some of his power to make monsters, and they used Darkling Woods as a base of operations.

Additionally, it could be that it's just Eirika in her naivety who doesn't know about them, or Rausten could have been hiding the fact (as the woods are completely within their realm they could probably manage it) to prevent panic.

Additionally, it could be that it's just Eirika in her naivety who doesn't know about them, or Rausten could have been hiding the fact (as the woods are completely within their realm they could probably manage it) to prevent panic.

That doesn't explain why everybody is so suprised in chapter 3 (or 4?) when the monsters first appear. If they already exist, Seth should know.

Also, Rausten definitely couldn't prevent other people from knowing. Spies, travellers who happen to get too close to the wood, horror stories being perpetrated. There would at least be rumours. Also, considering that L'Arachel is approximately 18 or something and her parents already fought the monsters before her birth, the monsters would've been in the Woods for 20+ years.

Back then, he didn't really want to kill Ike. He needed to know were Lehran's medallion was and he just mortally wounded the only guy who knew about it's location. Because of this screwup, he had to get Greil to talk quickly. So he threatened his children.

Black Knight:

“Ha. You, who knows better than any what it truly is, threw it away? Surely you can craft a more plausible lie. You’re not even trying anymore.”

Greil:

“I’m done talking to you.”

Black Knight:

“So there’s no way for me to get my answers, is that it? The dead keep their secrets, or so it is said. But you, however…You are not dead yet. I wonder…Will watching your son’s face grow pale, his eyes grow dim as his life bleeds away…And then your daughter… Oh, the horrors I will visit upon her. Will that loosen your tongue, perhaps? I suppose we will simply have to see.”

Unfortunately, a certain cutscene in RD created an inconsistency because it showed that the BK knew that Mist could touch the medallion without consequence, so he should have realized that she was carrying it. He would have still fought Greil because he wanted that duel but he wouldn't have needed any information from him.

I don't think that he really wanted to kill Greil either. It's just that in an all-out battle with swords, someone is likely to get impaled by sharp metal.

He wanted to best Greil, He certainly didnt seem to be too fussed if Greil died. He wanted to kill two birds with one stone. Fight Greil in some sort of bizarre grudge match, and get the Medallion. I also think that the RD scene doesnt create an inconsistency. How would he have known that Mist would still be carrying the Medallion some 10 years later? In the RD cutscene, Sephiran literally sees Mist as a very temporary stop-gap for it. Zelgius goes "oh ok." And the reason he comes after Greil again is because he was the last one to have it. I also think that Zelgius/BK had absolutely no intention of ever harming Mist. So i think he was more bent on Greil forcing Mist to hand it over to BK, in the event that Mist still had the thing. And also, since Mist was Greil's daughter, she would obviously be in his company. In other words, the confrontation in PoR boils down to: "Does your kid still have that thing? If so, fork it over. If you dont tell me, ill threaten her (and Ike's) life. Even though i really dont want to murder them. Btw, i wanna fight you."

Its very possible that there were some remnants of monsters from the original Demon King war still roaming around there. And Myrrh's father was the one that did a lot of dealing with them.

That doesn't explain why everybody is so suprised in chapter 3 (or 4?) when the monsters first appear. If they already exist, Seth should know.

Also, Rausten definitely couldn't prevent other people from knowing. Spies, travellers who happen to get too close to the wood, horror stories being perpetrated. There would at least be rumours. Also, considering that L'Arachel is approximately 18 or something and her parents already fought the monsters before her birth, the monsters would've been in the Woods for 20+ years.

Not if they were only thought of as local (Rausten) folk tales. Considering that Rausten is pretty far north, and no one south of that (and probably even central Rausten) has seen a monster since the original Demon King war. The horror stories were thought of as likely just that. Stories. Would someone in Renais really believe some Raustenian yokel going on and on about how he saw a Mauthe Doog when he went hunting near Darkling Woods? Not likely.