Need Artist for Animations (Paid Work)

Strict_Gryphon90

Hello everyone!

I hope this is the correct place to make this post.

I've written up some basic outlines for characters that will appear in my hack, and since I am no artist, I need someone else to do the art for me. I'm going to need 13 mugs and 3 animations. Before I list what I need, I feel it necessary to give some basic background of my game:

Southern kingdoms: Ulverheim and Falkenheim

These two kingdoms have been at war for as long as anyone can remember. No-one remembers when or how the war began, or when it will end. These kingdoms follow the standard militant monarchy system seen in many fantasy games, except there are no enforced gender roles in the military. There are also a churches that try to offer protection and respite for the citizenry.

Northern Tundra: Warring Clans

The northern snow lands are home to many different warrior tribes that fight each other for territory and control of resources. Their military system is different from that of the southern kingdoms, in that men fight in the front lines with melee weapons and women are in the back ranks with magic and healing staves.

NOTE: I have found someone to do the mugs. The animations section is at the bottom of this post. You might need to reference Percival's and Ingrid's entry in the character list for this.

Okay, so here are the character's I need mugs for:

Percival

Class: Defender (Lord)

Physical Description: 17 years old. Skin color is white. Waist length, straight blonde hair that is a tiny bit ragged. Blue eyes. Square jaw with cleft in chin. Lean muscle over entire body. 6’ 4” tall. Wears a silver, metal breastplate that covers the entire torso but is cut off at the shoulders, with the pectorals and abs chiseled into it. Around the waist he wears a brown, knee length metal kilt and a pair of brown leather and silver metal combat boots. He carries a bastard sword (1.5 handed sword) in his left hand and a kite shield in his right hand.

Portrait Expression: Stern and focused with a hint of worry (in the eyes).

Background and Personality: Percival and his younger sister Ingrid were raised by Harold in a small village. Unbeknownst to the siblings, Harold and his wife are not their biological parents. When they were children, Percival and Ingrid went into the mountains behind the village with Harold’s permission. Since the area was mostly secluded, they all thought it would be safe. However, while in the mountains, the siblings were attacked by bandits that had moved to the area, who hoped to use the siblings as hostages to be returned for a large sum of money. It was then that Percival unleashed a power he didn’t know he had; taking up a defensive stance, he was able to protect both himself and Ingrid from the bandits, yet was unable to do any significant damage to them. After the bandits were exhausted, they gave up and left. Since then, Percival has been honing his talent for defense and protection under the tutelage of Harold. Now, he and Ingrid defend the village from bandits. Percival tends to be quite sensitive, but doesn’t show it. Most of the time he is calm, but is easily swayed to anger when someone threatens Ingrid, or sadness when he is unable to protect someone. He lets Ingrid call him “Percy,” yet is highly irritated when someone else calls him the same.

Ingrid

Class: Prodigy (Lord)

Physical Description: 14 years old. Skin color is white. Mid-back waist length blonde hair worn in pigtails tied with red ribbons. Blue eyes. Soft, very feminine face with narrow chin. Very petite with no muscle tone. A-cup breasts. 5’ 3” tall. Wears a white robe with red trim that covers the whole body except for the arms and head, and goes down to the ankles, crossed over from the left to right, tied at waist with a red ribbon. Carries an anima tome in her left hand.

Portrait Expression: Happy and energetic, with a tiny hint of fear (tiny curve of the eyes).

Background and personality: From a young age it was clear that Ingrid is a prodigy, and has excelled in anima magic. But because of her intellect, she sometimes has difficulty connecting with other people, and often feels guilty about it. Because of the encounter with the bandits during her childhood, she has become quite timid, and stays near Percival at all times. She can be very generous, and is very fond of teaching.

Sonja

Class: Archer

Physical Description: 15 years old. Skin color is white. Rose red hair tied into two buns. Green eyes and a dark green hunter’s stripe (like two claw marks) tattoo across her cheek. Medium female build with light muscle tone. B-cup breasts. 5’ 5” tall. Wears a tight, light brown leather tunic with shoulder pads and green sleeves, and mossy green leather pants with brown boots. Carries a bow in her right hand and a quiver on her back.

Portrait Expression: Fierce, predatory eyes but not malevolent. A slightly wicked smile.

Background and Personality: Sonja grew up in the same village as Ingrid and Percival and is a childhood friend. She has a kind hearted yet teasing and flirtatious nature and takes pleasure in hunting those that commit evil acts. She can be quite sassy and sarcastic, and absolutely hates being told what to do.

Harold

Class: Paladin

Physical Description: 56 years old. Skin color is white. Bald head but a long grey beard. Brown eyes. Muscle tone is that of an older man that was very fit during youth (I hope that makes sense). 6’ 2” tall. Wears red knight armor (I’ll leave the design up to the artist’s imagination).

Portrait Expression: Strong, tired eyes that have seen a lot of war. Slight hint of remorse.

Background and Personality: Harold is a now retired, military veteran and the adopted father of Percival and Ingrid. He spent his entire life in the military and fought in many battles and seen many atrocities, and even unknowingly committed one himself (more on this later). Since then he always looked for a way to redeem himself. His taking care of the siblings has two meanings, to see them become fine adults and to make up for his past mistake. Letting the siblings go into the mountains is something he considers to be another great mistake, and he often questions whether he has learned anything from his past mistakes because he let them go. He is very quiet and reserved, and only speaks when needed.

Isadora

Class: Bladewoman (Mercenary)

Physical Description: 19 years old. Skin color is light brown (think Native American). Shoulder length green hair with bangs. Green eyes. Thick female build with medium muscle tone (but still feminine). D cup breasts. 6’ 2” tall. Wears green armor that is plate over the breasts and chain over the abs. Wears a green mid-thy length plate skirt and knee high green armor boots. Has a large shoulder pad over the right shoulder which she rests a greatsword on.

Portrait Expression: Stern and confident.

Background and Personality: When she was a young teen, her mother became sick. Her family was poor, and could not afford the necessary medicines and treatment. Then Isadora caught word of a combat tournament held at a nearby arena, with a cash reward. Her father was not a warrior and therefore could not compete, and he told Isadora not to enter for fear of her safety. However she joined in secret, but because she had little combat experience, was easily defeated. She did not win the prize money, and after time, her mother died of illness. Since that time, Isadora decided she needed to hone her combat skills, not only because she was ashamed of her own weakness and inability to save her mother, but to try and make up for her mistake. Now in her adulthood, she has left home and travels all over the land, making money as a mercenary, sending most of her earnings back to the village. She is very thick skinned and bull-headed, and not the type for foolery. She places high value in combat strength. She also has very little patience for pretentious and condescending people, and is quick to anger and tends to explode quickly, yet has a soft spot for children of poor families.

Sharlotte

Class: Pegasus Knight

Physical Description: 17 years old. Skin color is white. Upper-back-length wavy pink hair. Blue eyes. Small to Medium female build with light muscle tone. B-cup breasts. 5’ 7” tall. Wears a red headband, red plate armor that covers the breasts and a pink shirt underneath, and a red plate, layered miniskirt (the part covering the hips is a separate piece that lies over the part covering the groin and buttocks.), and mid-calf high, red, metal armor/high-heels.

Portrait Expression: Calm and collected with determination.

Background and Personality: Sharlotte and her two sisters Sherry and Shion were born into a noble family and were forced into a strict education and combat training in which they were constantly overworked and highly stressed. Earning their parents’ love and approval proved to be difficult for them because they couldn’t live up to their parents’ impossible expectations. One day they decided that they didn’t want this life anymore, so they stole some pegasi from the family stables and ran away from home. Their parents sent out a search party to find and bring them home. The sisters decided they’d have better chances splitting up, and all three flew in opposite directions. Now some time later, Sharlotte makes a living as a mercenary, and hopes to be reunited with her sisters. Sharlotte tends to be gentle and kind but shy, and not too trusting of those she just met. Deep down inside, she still hopes that one day she can go home with her sisters and live happily with their parents.

Rota

Class: Shield Maiden (Troubadour)

Physical Description: 19 years old. Skin Color is white. Shoulder length blue hair with the top tied back in a ponytail and the back left loose. Blue eyes. Medium female build. C-cup breasts. 5’ 8” tall. Wears a light blue jacket that is open in the front (think Ursula from Blazing Sword) with light, pointed shoulder pads, a dark blue, knee length skirt, dark blue gloves and a pair of blue boots.

Portrait Expression: Distant and remorseful.

Background and Personality: Back when she was still in the northern lands she was tasked with protecting a group of young warriors during a training exercise. During the trip, they were attacked by a group of warriors of an enemy clan, and she was the only survivor. When she returned to her clan and the elders found out what happened, she was exiled. Instead of joining another clan, she traveled to Ulverheim and made a living as a mercenary. She eventually joined Isadora’s mercenary group and has been with her ever since.

Joachim

Class: Priest

Physical Description: 21 years old. Skin color is white. Short, straight brown hair with sideburns. Hazel eyes. Medium male build with almost no muscle tone. 5’ 10” tall. Wears a white priest robe with green trim and a pair of sandals.

Portrait Expression: Conceited with a cocky smile.

Background and Personality: When he was young he was selected by the church to be taught in the healing arts, his teacher being Maria, one of the best instructors. Joachim excelled in all of his learning, and became quite arrogant as a result. Yet Maria became mortally ill, and Joachim was not able to cure her. After she had passed away, he left his local church and became a pilgrim, curing any he came by free of charge. He can still be quite conceited and full of himself, especially around women, whom he spends a lot of time sweet-talking. Despite initial impressions, he is quite lonely and is looking for a life partner he can settle down with.

Anne

Class: Light Mage (Female Monk)

Physical Description: 18 years old. Skin color is white. Mid-back length wavy blonde hair. Green eyes. Small female build. B-cup breasts. 5’ 6” tall. Not sure about the clothes or colors here. Surprise me. J

Portrait Expression: Strict and motherly, but loving.

Background and Personality: Anne met Joachim when Joachim passed through her town. She decided to travel with him initially because of romantic interest, but upon seeing his wily nature which to her seemed appalling that a priest would behave such a way, she decided to try and change his behavior to what she thinks is acceptable. A part of her also wants him to choose her as wife. She is very strict and follows a specific set of morals and behavior, but is also very compassionate.

Einar

Class: Axeman (Fighter)

Physical Description: 24 years old. Skin color is white. Shoulder length, messy orange hair. Hazel eyes, and a short beard and mustache. Very large, muscular build. 6’ 5” tall. Wears a wolf skin (with fur) shirt with no sleeves and wolf skin pants and boots.

Portrait Expression: Honor bound and observant.

Background and Personality: Einar is from the northern lands and was chosen by his clan to observe the state of the southern kingdoms, and report back after spending a few years of travel. He is nearing the end of his journey, and is disheartened by all the war he has seen. He hates the fact that his homeland is war torn, and had hoped that the southern kingdoms had finally found peace. He is very loyal and honorable, and also very practical.

Violet

Class: Swordswoman (Myrmidon)

Physical Description: 19 years old. Skin color is brown (Middle Eastern). Lower back length black hair in a ponytail. Hazel eyes. Small to medium female build with light muscle tone. D-cup breasts. 5’ 9” tall. Wears a magenta swordswoman robe (similar to Karla’s from Blazing Sword) with purple trim, tied at the waist with a purple ribbon, and a pair of thin boots.

Portrait Expression: Serious and unreadable.

Background and Personality: Violet spent most of her life in seclusion with her instructor in the sword arts. On her 18th birthday her instructor told her to travel the world and hone her craft. Due to her isolation she has poor social skills and tends to be eccentric and do things others regard as strange. She takes everything said to her literally and word for word.

Richter

Class: Dark Mage (Shaman)

Physical Description: 22 years old. Skin color is white. Short, white hair in thick spikes. Red eyes. Small to medium male build with almost no muscle tone. 5’ 7” tall. Wears white dark mage (shaman) robes with grey trim and no hood.

Portrait Expression: Inquisitive with a raised eyebrow and smirk.

Background and Personality: Richter started learning dark magic in an attempt to remove the stigma that dark magic users are anti-social and unfeeling and even cruel. He often combats these assumptions in a Socratic and mocking manner. Despite initial impressions he is humble and enjoys being around other people.

I also need a male thief, but I haven't decided on any details yet. I'm open to suggestions. :)

As for the three animations, the first one is easy; I just need a female monk, exactly like the standard monk animation just a female. Then I need an animation for Percival and Ingrid. For Ingrid I'd like her to carry a tome in her left hand which she opens in front of her, flips through a few pages, pauses on a page for a bit then extends her arm out in front of her in a swift motion. The critical animation is almost the same, except after the pause, she flips through a few more pages quickly followed by a small flash over her head signifying a bright idea, then the hand motion. For Percival, I'm not sure yet. I'll leave it up to you.

As I said in the topic title this will be paid work. If you're interested send me a private message and we can discuss payment. All I ask as that these mugs and animations be original if possible, instead of modified default sprites.

Many thanks and best regards,

Gryphon

Edited by Strict_Gryphon90

Just as a tip, but generally before you try and make this kind of request, it's nice to have a bit more done with a hack so that these artists feel they're not just going to be wasting their time doing this work for you, even with the payment you've promised.

Saying "I have some outlines of stuff done, guys pls help" usually won't be very encouraging to mug makers and other such artists. I'd give it some more time, and some actual hacking work being done, before coming with this kind of request so that this isn't just a waste of your money and their time and effort.

Just as a tip, but generally before you try and make this kind of request, it's nice to have a bit more done with a hack so that these artists feel they're not just going to be wasting their time doing this work for you, even with the payment you've promised.

I'm gonna have to disagree :x

if someone's offering proper compensation for this, i doubt any artist will feel they've wasted their time.

i'm actually a bit surprised and pleased that someone offered to pay before anyone asked about it.

^ Agreeing with snek on this one. The prior statement of monetary compensation is pretty good incentive, since even if their resources aren't ever used, at least they've been paid for the job. It's a goods-and-services kind of deal, as opposed to just a blind investment.

gonna have to edge a little closer to what polydeuce is saying. yeah artists would probably do the work for the commission regardless of the progress TC has on his hack, but i think TC should probably have a certain amount of material hacked before he pays people to sprite. you know 'cause new projects tend to die off and it'd be a shame of he paid for portraits he will never use.

Speaking as an artist I mean, I like it when people actually use my work but I also like being able to pay for my food, so if the pay's good enough it doesn't really matter, the money alone is worth my time

that being said I currently do have a job so I can't offer my services, but I wish the TC best of luck.

Playing devil's advocate and saying that my time is worth more than money.

Personally would have preferred seeing something worthwhile and tangible to contribute to, to be honest.

But hey, whatever works, play your game your way, y'know?

Good luck, best to ya'.

Thanks for the replies guys. I would have responded sooner but I fell asleep.

I actually do have quite a bit done on this hack. I have 6 maps hacked in and are fully playable, and I have the entire story outline done for 30 chapters. I need these mugs so I can release the first 6 maps of the game as playable maps with story. I have a post in the concepts section if you want to see more. It's called "Fire Emblem: Origins (Working Title)"

Thanks for the replies guys. I would have responded sooner but I fell asleep.

I actually do have quite a bit done on this hack. I have 6 maps hacked in and are fully playable, and I have the entire story outline done for 30 chapters. I need these mugs so I can release the first 6 maps of the game as playable maps with story. I have a post in the concepts section if you want to see more. It's called "Fire Emblem: Origins (Working Title)"

Neat. Can you link it for these guys?

Neat. Can you link it for these guys?

Sure. Here it is:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=57119

EDIT: I think I've found someone to do the mugs for me, but the animations are still on the table.

• 4 weeks later...

Animators are a lot harder to come by on the forums than mug-makers: not that its any harder or easier, just that there's fewer people who make full animations that you might be looking for. It really depends on how complicated or intricate you want the animations to be