Still hyped?

nyainou

Fates definitely doesn't have the best gameplay in the series. It's Awakening 2.0--and the level design is still pretty generic/bad in a majority of the game chapters, but there are some interesting ones at least, more than Awakening could ever claim to have.

It's an improvement over Awakening, but it still doesn't seem polished. And the difficulty is seriously wacky. Hoshido Lunatic is still a ton easier than Nohr Hard.

How is it "Awakening 2.0", gameplay wise? It takes everything Awakening did wrong and vastly improves on it, balancing pair-up and discouraging grinding while nerfing magic; Nohr brings back varied objectives and better map design. Previous games in the series have had their fair share of plain maps.

The difficulty example is deliberate: Hoshido is designed to be much easier than Nohr.

As far as core gameplay goes, the series is moving forward; FE6-10 were relatively stagnant. Fates has the 2nd-biggest shake-up mechanically to date.

And when has the gameplay of Fire Emblem been perfectly balanced or polished? Okay, let's see: weapon forging is exploitable in Fates.

But you can't throw a super unit on a fort in the middle of a group of enemies, and watch them come out relatively unschathed with the opposing enemies decimated (heck, due to a stricter XP formula, good luck even having a super unit). There's no +20 speed wind tomes that make the wielder an instant dodge tank. Though there a few classes that are worse than others, there's none that are head-and-shoulders above the rest.

If Fates' core gameplay is Awakening 2.0, then FE7 is Binding Blade 1.1, Sacred Stones is Binding Blade 1.5, etc., etc. .

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Hyped" isn't the word I'd use. I played 2/3 paths on the Japanese version and I love the gameplay. But I'd say my hype is gone enough so that I made a deal with my friend that he'd buy Nohr route and I'd get Hoshido and we'd trade off every once in a while. Before, I was planning on getting all three routes. I still like the game but I'm not as hyped anymore.

How is it "Awakening 2.0", gameplay wise? It takes everything Awakening did wrong and vastly improves on it, balancing pair-up and discouraging grinding while nerfing magic; Nohr brings back varied objectives and better map design. Previous games in the series have had their fair share of plain maps.

The difficulty example is deliberate: Hoshido is designed to be much easier than Nohr.

As far as core gameplay goes, the series is moving forward; FE6-10 were relatively stagnant. Fates has the 2nd-biggest shake-up mechanically to date.

And when has the gameplay of Fire Emblem been perfectly balanced or polished? Okay, let's see: weapon forging is exploitable in Fates.

But you can't throw a super unit on a fort in the middle of a group of enemies, and watch them come out relatively unschathed with the opposing enemies decimated (heck, due to a stricter XP formula, good luck even having a super unit). There's no +20 speed wind tomes that make the wielder an instant dodge tank. Though there a few classes that are worse than others, there's none that are head-and-shoulders above the rest.

If Fates' core gameplay is Awakening 2.0, then FE7 is Binding Blade 1.1, Sacred Stones is Binding Blade 1.5, etc., etc. .

Seconding this. Awakening's gameplay was a solid base, but not without flaws. Fates did a lot to balance the game and expand upon its features in a way few games have tried. The inclusion of hidden weapons, the attack/guard stance, and the reworking of durability/weapons pros and cons are all things that will make Fates stand out in the future as being a particularly innovative title in the series.

Edited by NekoKnight

What could have been an engaging game has quickly turned into something I could never take seriously. I have little faith in Nintendo's translation team as of late, especially considering what little we've seen of name changes and localization.

Good gameplay is not enough to satisfy me, so my money is best spent elsewhere.

Well, instead of simply saying "I sure hope not" or "This is sucky", maybe you should flesh out you position? It's certainly easier to understand and judge somebody's opinion if they explain it, compared to "I sure hope not", "This sucks", etc. .

I wouldnt bank on that bloke ever giving an intelligent answer or reasoning about anything, mate. Its hopeless.

It's an improvement over Awakening, but it still doesn't seem polished. And the difficulty is seriously wacky. Hoshido Lunatic is still a ton easier than Nohr Hard.

Really? Nohr Hard really that hard?

Looking at the stats and restrictions, I would assume so (possibly without the DLC to help.)

I mean, Nohr's entire point was to be one of the more difficult games. If it's as hard as people are making, I'll be pleased. I think it helps with the fact you can only bring in so many units and EXP is split/short.

Anyway, as for me... yeah... still pretty hyped, honestly.

How is it "Awakening 2.0", gameplay wise? It takes everything Awakening did wrong and vastly improves on it, balancing pair-up and discouraging grinding while nerfing magic; Nohr brings back varied objectives and better map design.

Well to be fair, "X 2.0" used to actually mean an improvement of X. But like the word "literally", the internet has twisted it to meaning the exact opposite

I wouldnt bank on that bloke ever giving an intelligent answer or reasoning about anything, mate. Its hopeless.

That was uncalled for. Just because I don't like the new mechanics and gameplay tweaks this game introduces, doesn't mean I deserve to be treated like this and I demand an apology.

Yes.

Well to be fair, "X 2.0" used to actually mean an improvement of X. But like the word "literally", the internet has twisted it to meaning the exact opposite

That is my meaning. If you liked Awakening, you'll like Fates. If you didn't, Fates is better, but not significantly so. It also suffers from lackluster level design in probably a third or more of its total maps across the three campaigns; Invisible Kingdom also reuses maps constantly for around half its maps. It is also the most gimmicky of the three campaigns.

Edited by Celice

That was uncalled for. Just because I don't like the new mechanics and gameplay tweaks this game introduces, doesn't mean I deserve to be treated like this and I demand an apology.

Want in one hand and shit in the other. You've never said anything meaningful during your entire tenure here. Like when you told someone to "Go back to China" simply because they said that English was hard once. When you act like a terrible, insipid human being, dont be alarmed when someone calls you out on it.

Yes.

How, exactly? Nohr Normal sounds like standard (older) FE fare. Whats the difference in Hard Mode? Other than enemies being stronger?

How, exactly? Nohr Normal sounds like standard (older) FE fare. Whats the difference in Hard Mode? Other than enemies being stronger?

From what I've seen and heard, hard really loads up on the skills and makes Nohrmal look like a cakewalk; for example, on certain maps there are archers with counter.

From what I've seen and heard, hard really loads up on the skills and makes Nohrmal look like a cakewalk; for example, on certain maps there are archers with counter.

OH BLIMEY! I see. Hard mode was my jam in Awakening, so i guess ill have to be an even bigger nancy and play Nohr on Normal.

Oh god that sounds horrible.

I've changed my mind, I'm getting Nohr regardless of localization.

Is Hoshido hard similar or is Hoshido Lunatic closer?

Oh god that sounds horrible.

I've changed my mind, I'm getting Nohr regardless of localization.

Is Hoshido hard similar or is Hoshido Lunatic closer?

that Celice bloke claims Hoshido Lunatic is easier. Makes me wonder what Nohr Loony looks like. : O

OH BLIMEY! I see. Hard mode was my jam in Awakening, so i guess ill have to be an even bigger nancy and play Nohr on Normal.

I just wanted to look up a few bosses to see what we get:

We get a Takumi with Vengeance, Breaking Sky, Bowfaire, and Proximity Shot.

that Celice bloke claims Hoshido Lunatic is easier. Makes me wonder what Nohr Loony looks like. : O

Every enemy has Pass.

I wish I had the time to watch a playthrough of it. Of course doing a playthrough on it will be more fun if I don't know what strategies other people used.

Especially if it's my first time playing through the game too.

Regarding the two paths' gameplay, I'm playing Hoshido Hard and Nohr Hard (semi-blind) simultaneously, and the differences are quite significant:

[spoiler=Personal gameplay impression]

- Hoshido Hard: Similar to Awakening Hard. Enemy positioning and density are still quite thin on most chapters, so Attack Stance will see more use here. Most enemies don't have skills. There are barely any status-staff users. The simpler objectives also make it much easier than its Nohr counterpart. Therefore, as long as you don't do anything reckless, you don't have to worry about survival. You don't even need to think much.

- Nohr Hard: Closer to Awakening Lunatic but enemies' stats aren't that inflated. It's not at all insanely hard, but can be quite difficult for people jumping right to HM for the first time (like me), and/or not yet used to this game's mechanism (like me :p). Enemies' density is really thick, and they often come in group so you'll be worn down really fast if you don't use Guard Stance. Status and Draw staves are much more common than Hoshido and Nohr Normal, and have very annoying placements (e.g placing someone with Freeze near a chest or village to prevent you from reaching it). Some enemies have skills like already mentioned, but thankfully not every single one of them. Strategy-wise, the game pretty much forces you to actively think and be careful, because every small step and decision may matter more than you think. Even if you may not win a chapter on your first few tries, the game makes sure that you have to learn from your mistakes and know what you're doing.

Edited by Ryo

Regarding the two paths' gameplay, I'm playing Hoshido Hard and Nohr Hard (semi-blind) simultaneously, and the differences are quite significant:

[spoiler=Personal gameplay impression]

- Hoshido Hard: Similar to Awakening Hard. Enemy positioning and density are still quite thin on most chapters, so Attack Stance will see more use here. Most enemies don't have skills. There are barely any status-staff users. The simpler objectives also make it much easier than its Nohr counterpart. Therefore, as long as you don't do anything reckless, you don't have to worry about survival. You don't even need to think much.

- Nohr Hard: Closer to Awakening Lunatic but enemies' stats aren't that inflated. It's not at all insanely hard, but can be quite difficult for people jumping right to HM for the first time (like me), and/or not yet used to this game's mechanism (like me :p). Enemies' density is really thick, and they often come in group so you'll be worn down really fast if you don't use Guard Stance. Status and Draw staves are much more common than Hoshido and Nohr Normal, and have very annoying placements (e.g placing someone with Freeze near a chest or village to prevent you from reaching it). Some enemies have skills like already mentioned, but thankfully not every single one of them. Strategy-wise, the game pretty much forces you to actively think and be careful, because every small step and decision may matter more than you think. Even if you may not win a chapter on your first few tries, the game makes sure that you have to learn from your mistakes and know what you're doing.

Oooo! Cheers, mate. That sounds pretty tough, i gotta say. Sounds like it could be fun for a Casual mode run.

mmm I guess I'm more mildly hyped, but I'm still very eager to play it at some point.

Also there's a glitch or something because I keep trying to vote but it says I have to vote for every question, even though there's only one. Unless I'm being an idiot and not seeing something lawl.

Honestly I have the least idea on how to fix it, but since everybody is having a good time (somewhat..) discussing in the thread, I think Ill just leave it, unless someone comes up with a solution I can do.

I read through the thread and gathered my thoughts some:

Im going to play Nohrmal(i like this pun kthnx) and had considered doing Hard afterwards, buuuut Awakening hard was overstimulating for me(yes, i know, im a weak pansy, ive heard it all before) so probably not. Maybe will do Hoshido Hard then. The reason Im playing Nohr first is because as I just mentioned, I get overstimulated easily, so I thought Id try and plow through Nohr first so I could just calm down and relax while playing Hoshido. I know that if I play Hoshido first Ill be super lazy and incredibly lenient while playing Nohr and might not even be able to finish it. If that makes sense? Yeah...

And I know a lot of people are reasonably disgusted by the whole skinship thing, and I agree with most complaints, buuut. The thing I am looking forward to the most, not including gameplay, story, or characters(in general), is being able to pet Zero's hair. His hair is like clouds. pls god just give this 2 me. And even if I can't pet his hair specifically, I can still pet him..in...general. So Im pretty happy! Im a simple man to please, really.

Its pretty interesting reading through this thread and listening to everyones thoughts. Its pretty varied, for the most part. Just wish the poll could work so I could see how varied in numbers..