4Koma & Character Book Translations [COMPLETE]

Kirokan

I think Kirokan meant "you shouldn't prioritize either". And you shouldn't--usually the official localisation team is communicating with the devs to know exactly what they intended to get across with each name. Sometimes their choices are weird and don't seem to represent that and it's hard to say why that is exactly (internal factors, not bothering to check back on this name, personal choice, honest mistakes, etc.), but stuff like art books or internal files 100% are not done to be representations of that. Full stop. They are for style and ease of use respectably.

Your first sentence should essentially read "because the names there would be decided by designers based on what looks good next to the artwork and for the page layout". You are correct on the text dump romanizations.

You're right that neither is absolutely official, but there is certainly more thought put into the romanji than aesthetic value. All of the characters that have, real, Western names have their names correctly spelled, double vowel sounds for Japanese names have been consistently removed even when they would fit well with the layout, Gray's name takes into consideration his backstory, and the inconsistent use of L and R or I and Y when the choice would create no difference in pronounciation for the Japanese implies a deliberate interest in both sound and appearence of the word.

They might not be the "offical" Romanji, if there even are any, but there was much more thought involved here than the graphic design.

That being said, localization teams, for better or for worse, will reinterpret the names and the characters and these have no bearing on that.

Edited by gayserbeam

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JEEZ. Nyx's artwork looks so cheap it's not funny! What the heck happened to Ophelia's eye and hand!? Berka looks like a hobbit!

Aside from those, some are decent ones, some really good ones (like Zero's, Kanna's, Tsukuyomi's, Lucina's, Marth's, and Saizou's) and ones that are rather 'meh'. Kozaki clearly is the better artist (aside from his two left feet accident, ehehehehe).

Okay Marx's comic is my favorite one so far. It's so ridiculous I love it and it was hard for me to stop laughing. Besides that while some of the artwork is really good some of them are a big meh for me. Elise, Belka, Charlotte, and Ophelia look odd to me. The artwork by Misato Kamada, Hana Ichika, Suzuka, and Uka Nagao are my favorites.

Edited by Frelia

Hayasereku's are my favorite~ He made Sakura, Rinka, Orochi, and Flora look so cute~ And Fuuga and Shiononome looked very cool!~

I also forgot to mention that Gunter looked hella badass in his art~ Lovin it~

The artwork is really hit and miss. I know it's a lot of work to be done but they could really use some quality control.

Some of them (especially Pieri's) look great but a lot of others have bizarre proportions.

Some people spell シュ as "shu" and others as "syu" because it is the combination of "shi" and "yu". The proper spelling is usually "shu" though as Romanji are supposed to be phonetic and that is the proper pronunciation.

He was called Asyura in the game files, though, so people went with that.

Speaking as a teacher in Japan, most students seem to be taught to romanize words with the literal transcription of Japanese characters (such as シュ = 'syu') but I don't really care for it. It makes sense from a linguistic point of view but in practice you get all sorts of oddities like Tsubaki being written as Tubaki, which doesn't say much for the correct pronunciation. For アシュラ, I think either Ashura or Asura is fine (although I'm only okay with the latter because I've seen and heard it elsewhere to know the pronunciation).

I think ultimately, it comes down to the individual for what system they use, however. It's a real mess.

Edited by NekoKnight

Hinoka's comics was great. It very easily became another favorite for me. Unfortunately Camilla's comics irked the heck out of me. Can she have one moment where she doesn't constantly think about Kamui?

Edited by Frelia

...I actually found myself sympathizing with Severa there. Can Camilla ever have a moment that's not almost entirely (a) fanservice or (b) her thinking about Kamui?

Edited by The DanMan

Well, Charlotte is somewhat a good cook basing on the restaurant data and some of her support conversations. Most of the females also have "edible" cooking. The ones that are worst are: Hinoka, Setsuna, Rinka, Yuugiri, Felicia.

Can we please put a moratorium on the "strong female character is bad at cooking" cliche? It's getting a little annoying.

Yeah I agree. That cliche gets on my nerves too. I don't expect everyone to be good at cooking, but that cliche is annoying nonetheless.

Edited by Frelia

Honestly Rinka's cooking isn't even supposed to be bad if we look at convos

just restaurant data likes to fuck with her like the entire gameplay is against Rinka's character canon or something

Camilla coulda been so good, why did the writers do this to her

Honestly Rinka's cooking isn't even supposed to be bad if we look at convos

just restaurant data likes to fuck with her like the entire gameplay is against Rinka's character canon or something

Camilla coulda been so good, why did the writers do this to her

At this point I am going to go ahead and say that the game and writers really seem to dislike Rinka. They don't even bother to add any info about the Flame Tribe in the story and on the world map. Rinka can't get a break in this game.

With Camilla it seems like someone in the writing team really wanted to write a female character with a really bad trope in mind so they picked Camilla. The way she is written is so gross. Poor Camilla and Rinka.

Edited by Frelia

Poor Rinka and Camilla, the game just doesn't want to give them a break. But yeah, Camilla is someone that I wanted to like but I can't because her actual characterization is overshadowed by fanservice or Kamui. She's boring.

On the guys' end, I think the game hates Tsubaki and Hinata. In stats, at least.