My dog is dead/ general grief support thread, by popular (?) demand

blah the Prussian

God, I fucking hate typing this. I knew it was going to be a thing eventually, but it still legitimately fucking sucks to go through this. So, basically, to anyone who had this experience before, how did you do it? How did you handle it while it was happening?

Edited by blah the Prussian

Yes, it does suck. I lost my Caique and the doctors said they couldn't do anything and to hold my my bird helplessly while his eyes were close was the saddest thing I've experienced so far. How'd I do it?

-Honor your dog's memory: Don't put the good times with your dog to waste, remember it and smile about the good times

-Legacy: Try to remember everything about your dog, likes, favorite meals, etc.

-Photo:If you have a picture of him/her (rather than crying or beating yourself up) soothe yourself with the thought that they are in heaven

-Family:I'm sure your family has something wise to say

I'm sorry for your loss, it's not easy at first but with help from your family you'll be over it.

I have lost several dogs ( I live in an area where people dump their dogs and since my family has a big yard we adopt and keep four dogs at a time) it is never easy and I always cry my eyes out when it happens, but the sad thing is every living thing has a limited amount of time on this earth and I just like to think that the dogs I adopt get to have a good life with me and then go on to a better place. Dogs have been my only friends for a good part of my life and I will always love the dogs I have had and the dogs I have now. One thing that helps me is remembering all the fun we had together and I tell myself that I will see them again someday.

I've had several dogs, but only one has died. (We couldn't take care of the rest) She died back in 2012 and we had her for 10 years. She was a big part in my life, as I got her from my friend when I lived in California and she's been with me for almost half my life. She developed a form of stomach cancer and we had to put her down. I was at school when they did, so I came home with the house emptier than usual...

Yes, it's hard to deal with and it's very sad to live with, but your dog will stay alive so long as you remember it.

I've only had one dog, and I was around 10 when he passed... I was sad for quite some time, I just tried to keep myself busy to keep my mind off it.

Sorry for your loss.

I was only five when my first dog passed. I have two dogs today, but they are reaching the middle of their lives and I'm already worrying about what I'll do when they're gone.

I recommend buying another dog, to be honest. When one pet leaves a hole in your heart, find another one to try and fill it, even if in a different way.

Sorry for being late, I am really sorry for your dog too...I know how it feels, last year my cat died and he was like a little brother to me. He was 20 years old, but I hoped he would last 25 or something like that. After all, the world record for cats' lifespan is 36 years.

When you're in a better spot, find The Rainbow Bridge. But not now.

The best I can tell you is to cry if you feel like it, and never forget how she was in life. All I can do is offer you my condolences.

I've lost some pets in the past, but they've been cats and I've never felt so attached to cats. I was also really young, like 3 years old, when my Grandparents' dog died (in fact both sets of my Grandparents had dogs that died when I was young), so I reacted differently back then to how I would have now.

I saw on TV when I was about 11/12 a program/documentary where someone's dog was put down. The owner had one of these empty plastic keychains, cut some fur from his dog, and sealed it inside. It stays in my mind because it's what I would like to do when I eventually lose future dog/s.

Losing a pet sucks! We've had two dog lost. One passed away in 2005, and 4 months ago my sister's previous dog got her head stuck in an empty chip bag and suffocated. She was going to turn 2 years old on the same month.

Edited by EricTheMerc91

I think you posted that on the day my dog died.

I probably did, but I do not recall. I think it's a great idea, though, to carry something like this around on you at all times.

• 3 weeks later...

My best friend since I was eight passed away about 3 months ago now. I completely agree with you on how much that sucks, and it hurts a lot to watch your pet, your family member, leave. What I ended up doing to cope during his illness was to spend time with him and let him know I loved him. Just doing little things like letting him sit on my lap while I worked, let him sleep next to me, and making sure he at least attempted to eat something every day.

During and after his death I felt a little lost as to how to deal with it, so I ended up getting a book to help guide me through the healing process ("Saying Goodbye to Your Angel Animals" is what I got, you can take whatever you want from it and agree/disagree to points they make. I still found it helpful in guiding why I felt the way I did. It gives you meditation questions that you could do if you want also) but you don't have to get a book if you don't want to. I found talking about your friend to people you trust helps also and writing in a journal when you're feeling down. You could write about anything, it really helped organize how I felt.

The most important of all, do what you think feels right. If you don't want a new pet right away, that's okay. If you do,that's fine too. Everyone deals with loss differently. I'm really sorry that you lost your dog, it really hurts to lose a pet.

My best friend since I was eight passed away about 3 months ago now. I completely agree with you on how much that sucks, and it hurts a lot to watch your pet, your family member, leave. What I ended up doing to cope during his illness was to spend time with him and let him know I loved him. Just doing little things like letting him sit on my lap while I worked, let him sleep next to me, and making sure he at least attempted to eat something every day.

During and after his death I felt a little lost as to how to deal with it, so I ended up getting a book to help guide me through the healing process ("Saying Goodbye to Your Angel Animals" is what I got, you can take whatever you want from it and agree/disagree to points they make. I still found it helpful in guiding why I felt the way I did. It gives you meditation questions that you could do if you want also) but you don't have to get a book if you don't want to. I found talking about your friend to people you trust helps also and writing in a journal when you're feeling down. You could write about anything, it really helped organize how I felt.

The most important of all, do what you think feels right. If you don't want a new pet right away, that's okay. If you do,that's fine too. Everyone deals with loss differently. I'm really sorry that you lost your dog, it really hurts to lose a pet.

Aw man, that sucks. I've been friends with my best friend since we were toddlers, and I can't imagine how it would feel to lose him. We are getting a new rescue dog on Sunday. Sorry for your loss, too.

My deepest condolences, I lost so many of my friends at an early age and I didn't realize how much I loved each one of them until they were gone. Many of the hobbies/activities I do are to honor their memory. I'm happy that you spent time with your friend during his last moments. Stay strong and don't let his memories go to waste ;D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

...can I still post in here? Is it necroposting if it's still on the front page?

It is hard to lose a furry companion. When my black lab I had for 13 years had to be put down it hit me pretty hard :( I completely understand. To console myself I thought about how much pain she was in and now her suffering is over. Still made me cry for a long time though.

I don't know how religious you are Blah, but I read a story once that's pretty daww about this subject. A couple had to put their dog down and they were sitting with their 6 year old son talking about how unfair it is that animals have shorter lives than people. The kid had the answer: "God sends us to earth to teach us things, like how to be kind and loving and nice. Dogs already know that, so they don't have to stay as long."

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a chihuahua since she was a puppy.

She's nearing the end of her life now, at fifteen years old. She's pretty healthy still, but she's getting weak and tired.

Ever since I moved out, she's been living with my mother and I have been experiencing nightmares about the day she passes.

My deepest of condolences are with you, and if you ever need a friend, I would gladly be one.

I've had to deal with this situation as well, and the only answer I can give is: It takes time. Sometimes a lot of it.

One of my dogs (technically, my father's dog) was killed when she broke into a neighbor's yard because *another* neighbor's dog had also broken into that yard. The other dog had a puppy with her, and both of them were starving; my dad's dog was a "big dog in a little dog's body" and wouldn't run away even from a much bigger dog. My dad was devastated by his dog's death; even now, something like five years later, he still has the occasional moment of...well, mourning, really. We've encouraged him to look into getting another dog, but he wants to adopt and hasn't had much luck finding the kind of dog he's looking for.

Remember that grief is a natural and healthy, albeit painful, process...and each person approaches it in their own way. The best thing you can do is to channel the response you have to this death into something productive. What, specifically, that "something productive" should be is up to you.

I've had to deal with this situation as well, and the only answer I can give is: It takes time. Sometimes a lot of it.

One of my dogs (technically, my father's dog) was killed when she broke into a neighbor's yard because *another* neighbor's dog had also broken into that yard. The other dog had a puppy with her, and both of them were starving; my dad's dog was a "big dog in a little dog's body" and wouldn't run away even from a much bigger dog. My dad was devastated by his dog's death; even now, something like five years later, he still has the occasional moment of...well, mourning, really. We've encouraged him to look into getting another dog, but he wants to adopt and hasn't had much luck finding the kind of dog he's looking for.

Remember that grief is a natural and healthy, albeit painful, process...and each person approaches it in their own way. The best thing you can do is to channel the response you have to this death into something productive. What, specifically, that "something productive" should be is up to you.

Ah, that really sucks. At least my dog died when it was her time to go.

I'm gonna be more blunt.

Loss is something you will experience for the rest of your life. It sucks, it's gutwrenching, but it's going to happen.

since I entered high school I've lost my cousin, my grandfather, my 6 month old niece, my cat, 2 of my dogs, 2 friends, and just yesterday I lost my father.

It sucks, it hurts like hell and the grief can be consuming, the best thing you can do is what you're doing right now: not try to bear the pain alone. when you inevitably face it again don't try to shoulder it.

Other than that I'm sorry for your loss, I know how much it hurts.

EDIT: wow this thread was started a while ago

Edited by Solkia

I'm gonna be more blunt.

Loss is something you will experience for the rest of your life. It sucks, it's gutwrenching, but it's going to happen.

since I entered high school I've lost my cousin, my grandfather, my 6 month old niece, my cat, 2 of my dogs, 2 friends, and just yesterday I lost my father.

It sucks, it hurts like hell and the grief can be consuming, the best thing you can do is what you're doing right now: not try to bear the pain alone. when you inevitably face it again don't try to shoulder it.

Other than that I'm sorry for your loss, I know how much it hurts.

EDIT: wow this thread was started a while ago

Yeah, it was. I'd be happy to change it into an all purpose grief support thread, though. Sorry about your loss. The only human family member I've lost is my grandfather in his late sixties, and I was like five at the time, so I didn't fully understand what was happening.