Any tips for a player starting out on FE4?

PSIRockin245

Use all of your horses no matter how inferior they may seem to foot soldiers.

Use all of your units!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't double unless you have pursuit in this game.

Don't kill Ayra

Check the talk menu often so you dont miss out on awesome weapons

The game has a very good plot, don't spoil yourself to it, if you can help it.

But this is an snes game, so there are a few secret events: the website has a page for them. http://serenesforest.net/genealogy-of-the-holy-war/miscellaneous/secret-events/

There is a lover system, but I think the best way to do your first time is blind, you really can't mess up the second generation anyway, so just do all the talk events that the game has and you will decide which pairings you like best.

The poster above is right, the game is mount emblem because it is so huge. In terms of gameplay, there is a skill called pursuit which is required to double units, which is based on attack speed. If the character has pursuit and their attack speed (speed - weapon weight) is higher, they will double. The game does take a little getting used to and it does through a few curveballs at you, but I found it pretty enjoyable when I got into it.

Edited by Zasplach

The game has a very good plot, don't spoil yourself to it, if you can help it.

But this is an snes game, so there are a few secret events: the website has a page for them. http://serenesforest.net/genealogy-of-the-holy-war/miscellaneous/secret-events/

There is a lover system, but I think the best way to do your first time is blind, you really can't mess up the second generation anyway, so just do all the talk events that the game has and you will decide which pairings you like best.

The poster above is right, the game is mount emblem because it is so huge. In terms of gameplay, there is a skill called pursuit which is required to double units, which is based on attack speed. If the character has pursuit and their attack speed (speed - weapon weight) is higher, they will double. The game does take a little getting used to and it does through a few curveballs at you, but I found it pretty enjoyable when I got into it.

Basically this. However, I have to disagree on the going into the lover system blind for the first time. I say look up the best pairings, then that will help you get more comfortable with the lovers system, thus allowing for more experimentation for future playthroughs due to you knowing what generally works out how. Also, make sure you have Levin visit Sillese Castle after capturing it. I cringed so hard after watching Forceman completely miss the best weapon in the entire game during his screenshot blind LP of Gen 1.

EDIT: I like your username.

Edited by Lantairu

I say look up the best pairings, then that will help you get more comfortable with the lovers system, thus allowing for more experimentation for future playthroughs due to you knowing what generally works out how. Also, make sure you have Levin visit Sillese Castle after capturing it. I cringed so hard after watching Forceman completely miss the best weapon in the entire game during his screenshot blind LP of Gen 1.

Look them up if it makes you more comfortable, but looking them up can put you at risk for spoiling the story, and if you read the talk conversations the game points you towards at least decent pairings. Speaking personally, I had limited knowledge of the mechanic the first go around and some of my pairings were really bad, which gave me some experience for later playthroughs. If you'd like suggestions, you're welcome to ask, I'm sure there will be plenty of suggestions.

And yeah, the game has several really important talk conversations, but if you're paying attention to the narrative, you should be pointed towards the pot at the end of the rainbow.

Edited by Zasplach

Watch epilogue in japanese the game crashes in every translation patch.

Or wait until Project Naga's in patch form. There's always, of course, the Viatnamese patch, which I'm just going to assume is the most accurate translation to date.