Issues with the FE8 Promotion Screen

Radetzky120

So I've been testing the waters of hacking FE8, and one thing I seem to be encountering is that when I try to promote to a class to which I've assigned a custom animation, the game stops on a black screen.

e.g. I've put in the FE10-style Fighter to replace the original, but I haven't overwritten the original (i.e. added it to the ROM via FEditor).I try promoting Ross and the screen goes black.

Any tips or such?

You probably formatted something wrong with the custom animation module or where the fighter animation goes.

I dunno, the animations otherwise work normally. I did make sure to change the separators to 0.

A temporary workaround I did was to temporarily switch the animation back to normal right before promotion, then switching it back afterwards. Of course, that doesn't really solve the issue.

Try re-inserting it? Maybe FEditor is just being funny. Wouldn't be the first time.

Just to be sure, you're still using the fighter class slot, right? As in, the only thing that has been changed is the battle animations pointer, not that you created an entirely new class?

Try re-inserting it? Maybe FEditor is just being funny. Wouldn't be the first time.

Just to be sure, you're still using the fighter class slot, right? As in, the only thing that has been changed is the battle animations pointer, not that you created an entirely new class?

It doesn't seem to be a problem with that particular animation - I inserted a staff Falcoknight animation, and when I try to promote Vanessa (most conveniently, she's Level 10 and I have an Elysian Whip) the screen also blacks out.

And yes, the Fighter class is still the same.