Best and worst of the personal skills?

Karnanii

The ideas of personal skills really help give even more individualism when it comes to units, and so far most of them are really cool since they mostly apply to the characters personality.

But what exactly are the most useful and least useful of the personal skills? I feel like skills like the capture skill area obviously very useful but what other personal skills really help a unit out? Or drag them down?

I've been wondering this. Does Capture have any uses other than capturing enemies? I can see it being a useful skill for some people, but I don't really care about capturing generic enemies, so it's pretty much a wasted slot unless it gives some other sort of bonus.

Saizou's personal skill is so strange (and bad).

Why would you damage yourself when you're low on hp, buddy?

When his HP is low, enemies OHKO him; when his HP is 1, enemies OHKO him.

So he costs almost nothing for triggering the skill.

When his HP is low, enemies OHKO him; when his HP is 1, enemies OHKO him.

So he costs almost nothing for triggering the skill.

Well, he does have a 45% defense growth, which is pretty decent, but against magic he will probably blow up either way.

Deere's skill is useless in the main story since it only works in My Castle. Syalla's is also useless in the main campaign since you have to (I believe) initiate an entire battle on a same map as before. Since every main campaign map is different, Syalla doesn't get any benefit from it.

Ignis's skill is pretty bad if he's not paired up with someone. Eponine's skill is so situational, it's rather silly.

Midoriko's, Ophelia's, and Odin's skills are among the best since they are easy to activate and offer significant benefits in battle none of this +3 damage bs

Sophie's is pretty good since it is a free debuff on an enemy. Foleo's skill is decent since most generic enemies are male, so it's pretty much a free damage bonus.

Edited by Leif

The sisters personal skills could be useful for stacking damage against a boss (particularly to help Kamui boost Yatogami's effectiveness).

I like the concept of damage booster skills…

Prodigy should work against most mages (assuming Matoi does not reclass or have a magic heavy mother); Prodigy should also work against very strong classes like Berserker, Great Knight, etc. Against many of those, I'd suppose easy +4.

Ophelia probably wants to be a Sorcerer anyways (inherent crit) and Blossoming Mind synergizes (give her a Mjolinir or Excalibur tome for more synergy).

Jakob could be really helpful for a female Kamui early on (but I'm going male Kamui).

Gunther could be useful in battles where the objective is to kill a target (particularly if its a quick rush to the target; giving Kamui +3 damage, then more +STR from pair-up, and then +accuracy could help;

Deere's skill is useless in the main story since it only works in My Castle. Syalla's is also useless in the main campaign since you have to (I believe) initiate an entire battle on a same map as before. Since every main campaign map is different, Syalla doesn't get any benefit from it.

Ignis's skill is pretty bad if he's not paired up with someone. Eponine's skill is so situational it's rather silly.

Midoriko's, Ophelia's, and Odin's skills are among the best since they are easy to activate and offer significant benefits in battle none of this +3 damage bs

Sophie's is pretty good since it is a free debuff on an enemy. Foleo's skill is decent since most generic enemies are male, so it's pretty much a free damage bonus.

Syalla's Skill is not about the same map. It is about the same unit.

Ignis's skill works in Attack Stance as well.

I've been wondering this. Does Capture have any uses other than capturing enemies? I can see it being a useful skill for some people, but I don't really care about capturing generic enemies, so it's pretty much a wasted slot unless it gives some other sort of bonus.

No other uses. So these skills are waste for you, but not for everyone at least.

Luna's skill is waste almost for everyone.

Edited by Tooru

Syalla's Skill is not about the same map. It is about the same unit.

Ignis's skill works in Attack Stance as well.

No other uses. So these skills are waste for you, but not for everyone at least.

Luna's skill is waste almost for everyone.

Ahh. It makes more sense now. The descriptions on the main site are a bit vague. Syalla's skill is loads better now.

The less situational a skill, the better it will be.

-Azura's Healing Voice is helpful for healing scratch damage to your units.

-Yuugiri's Victors Delight is useful for self healing.

-Rinka's Flame Blood, Oboro's Nohr Hater, Matoi's Prodigy, Hinoka's Encouragement, Effie's Super Strength, Leon's Cold Blooded, Marx's Way of the Knight are easy conditions to get bonus damage.

-Harold's Unlucky Soul, Odin's Blood Tingling and Ophelia's Blossoming mind are pretty much automatic bonuses to your crit rating.

-Midoriko's Lucky Charm, +20% activation to Smithy Skill, Miracle and Easy Life.

For the bad skills you have:

-Saizo's, Crimson's and Hinata's skills that only activate when they are close to death.

-Luna's, Kinu's, Hana's and Charlotte's (single player only) skill almost never activate.

Well let me look at that whole list again...

Kaze: Like Miracle, it really shouldn't matter. I suppose it *can* give you a lucky save, but those are clutches which are largely well, not very....strategic

Silas: Honestly speaking I don't feel it's very helpful, unless you want to like, hide the avatar somewhere at half health most of the time

Flannel: It's not combat related, so it's not *very* helpful. Otherwise it's not entirely that bad really

Arthur: Enemies don't really have much critical evade to begin with. I suppose it does "guarantee" you'll scrape 1-10% crit rates most of the time

Competitive: Yeah it's really not going to matter that much, even if all your front units have critical weapons, etc, mostly because the enemy will be dead by then. I suppose you could do silly things like hitting a general with a shuriken with luna using an armorslayer, but it's still rather silly

Asama: I actually don't really have a very high opinion of counter type skills

Crimson: I get that Crimson is a tank, but first, if Crimson is getting that much damaged, it's dangerous, and second, if Crimson is tanking, then Crimson *isn't* going to get that much damaged in the first place

Hana: It's largely not going to matter

Saizou: Only triggers at under half hp, which makes it really eh

Setsuna: You don't really need more healing

Tsukuyomi: It's really easy to overlevel and make the boost moot. I suppose it's not all that bad

Gurei, Hisame, Kisaragi: Wastes turns

Lutz: Critical evade hardly matters, even against berserkers

Midoriko: I have nothing against the skill, but skills that trigger on a luck% aren't very...appealing to me

Edited by CocoaGalaxy

For bad personal skills, I'd say Crimson's (way too tight an HP restriction to make use of), Arthur's (hurts his already piss-poor critical evade), Ignis's (weakens him, especially if caught alone), Hana's (since she's rather fragile, chances are she won't ever be in a position where she has an enemy next to her after she kills one). and Deere's (only works in My Castle).

For good ones, I'd look at Sakura's, Elise's, Camilla's, and Foleo's. Can't be bothered to think of others atm.

Edited by Levant Colthearts

For bad personal skills, I'd say Crimson's (way too tight an HP restriction to make use of), Arthur's (hurts his already piss-poor critical evade), Ignis's (weakens him, especially if caught alone), Hana's (since she's rather fragile, chances are she won't ever be in a position where she has an enemy next to her after she kills one). and Deere's (only works in My Castle).

For good ones, I'd look at Sakura's, Elise's, Camilla's, and Foleo's. Can't be bothered to think of others atm.

For in-game playing, it is easy to keep using Attack/Guard Stance for a tank. If Foleo's "damage+2 in enemy phase" is good, Ignis's "damage-2 all the time" must be good too.

There will always be an enemy next to Hana when she beats a Guard Stance, so we can trigger her skill quite often if we want.

Unlike Crimson, it is not necessary for Saizou/Hinata to have low HP before a battle. When their HP is above half, and the damage they received makes it below, their skills will be triggered.

How would people rank the bonus damage skills?

NekoKnight already mentioned some of them:

-Rinka's Flame Blood, Oboro's Nohr Hater, Matoi's Prodigy, Hinoka's Encouragement, Effie's Super Strength, Leon's Cold Blooded, Marx's Way of the Knight are easy conditions to get bonus damage.

Of course, we basically have two categories of damage boosters here: ones that boost the character's own damage, and ones that boost another character's damage.

I've compiled and categorized a list of damage boosters (although I could have accidentally omitted something)… how would you rank these boosters?

BOOST OTHER CHARACTER'S DAMAGE:

a.) Attack/Guard Stance Bonuses

Mysterious Appeal (Avatar): If C-rank or better, lead ally gets +2 damage, -2 damage taken, +10 hit

Absolute Offense (Gunther): If Avatar is the lead, Avatar gets +3 damage, +15 hit

Absolute Support (Felicia): If Avatar lead, Avatar gets +2 damage, -2 damage taken

Ladies First (Seigbert): When user is the support unit, if the lead unit is female, the lead unit’s damage +2

b.) Auras

Encouragement (Hinoka): Allies within a 2 tile radius deal 2 extra damage

Beautiful Flower (Elise): Adjacent allies deal 1 extra damage and received 3 less damage

Bewitching Flower (Camilla): Adjacent allies deal 3 extra damage and receive 1 less damage

BOOST OWN DAMAGE

Friendship Oath (Silas): If the Avatar is an ally, when the Avatar is under half HP, user’s damage +3 and damage received -3

Flame Blood (Rinkah): When user’s HP is not full, damage +4

Arrogance (Tsukuyomi): When user’s Level is lower than the enemy’s (promoted units count as Level +20), damage +3

Nohr-Hater (Oboro): When engaging a Nohr-related enemy, damage +3

Rivalary (Takumi): When user is the lead unit and their Level is lower than their support unit’s Level, Critical rate +10, damage +3 and damage received -1

Way of the Samurai (Ryoma): When user is the lead unit, if their Level is higher than their support unit’s Level, Critical rate +10, damage +2 and damage received -2

Butler's Feat (Deere): When fighting in My Castle, Hit rate and Avoid +20, damage +2 and damage received -2

Righteous Bravery (Shinonome): When user is the lead unit, if their support unit doesn’t have full HP, damage +3 and damage received +1

Prodigy (Matoi): At the start of the battle, if the enemy’s Strength or Magic (whichever is highest) is higher than Matoi’s corresponding stat, damage +4

Tenacity (Syalla): [slightly unclear because of apparently inaccurate info on Serenes; +4 damage against a repeated enemy]

Super Strength (Effie): When user’s Strength is 5 or more points higher than the enemy’s Strength, damage +3 during battle

Ambush Duty (Belka): When user triggers the battle, if the enemy cannot counter-attack, damage +4

Killer Instinct (Pieri): When user triggers the battle and defeats the enemy, Strength, Magic, Skill and Speed +4 for one turn

Women's Nature (Charlotte): When engaging a female enemy, Damage +4 and Critical rate +20

Cold-Blooded (Leo): When enemy’s HP is not full, damage +3 and damage received -1 during the battle

Way of the Knight (Xander): When enemy’s HP is at maximum, damage +2 and damage received -2 during the battle

Foul Play (Foleo): When a male enemy triggers the battle, damage +2

Girl Lover (Soleil): When user is the lead unit, if their support unit is female, damage +2 and damage received -2

Wicked Fantasy (Eponine): When next to a guard stance of two men, damage +2 and damage received -2

/Most avatar centric skills are bad, especially since there's only so much of Kamui to go around. If Kamui marries someone without a skill like that, it pretty much kills the point. Though Joker's is easily the best out of them.

Luna's is pretty bad, almost completely useless, while most royals have some of the best. Foleo is weird though since he has to have an enemy attack him.

Ryoma's is great, as you can just stick some pair-up fodder to him as get a significant boost.

Opheilia, Midoriko and Odin's boosts are basically free bonuses and don't require you to meet any in-battle condition.

Flannel's ability can get you gems you wouldn't normally have at that point without visiting other castles, and since you really only need one of each type of gem to start betting them in the arena, this can be very helpful when you first get him. Even late-game when you have at least one of each gem, this skill can still be useful as it nets as many as 21 gems per map.

Pieri's skill has excellent synergy with Galeforce or Special Song. It's even great just as a boost on enemy phase.

Yuugiri's skill is just a free Lifetaker, which is great, and makes up for her inability to get most of the healing skills.

Kinu's Play Time is one of the game's several skills that lets you deal damage by just sitting there. Her access to Four Fangs, Even Nap and potentially Snake Venom and Defense Seal make it dangerous for anything to attack her.

Charlotte's skill is a little situational as the only female enemies are Pegasus units, Maids, Strategists and War Preistesses, none of which are bulky enough to justify boosing Charlotte. However, it can allow you to ORKO several bosses (which she probably could have done anyway, but why not).

Flora's Ice Blood is incredible, but not in her fragile base class.

Edited by gayserbeam

For in-game playing, it is easy to keep using Attack/Guard Stance for a tank. If Foleo's "damage+2 in enemy phase" is good, Ignis's "damage-2 all the time" must be good too.

There will always be an enemy next to Hana when she beats a Guard Stance, so we can trigger her skill quite often if we want.

Unlike Crimson, it is not necessary for Saizou/Hinata to have low HP before a battle. When their HP is above half, and the damage they received makes it below, their skills will be triggered.

Doh, didn't see the part where it was damage received -2 for Ignis' skill. Still, forcing the need for either Attack Stance or Guard Stance for that to not turn against him forces tactical inflexibility.

In Hana's case, just how often will enemies use Guard Stance? Because that part doesn't mean much if, you know, they don't bother with it much.

Funny for me is no one can tell anything about Asama personal skill. : P
If i would say one of best skills then... Yuugiri as on user (healing is high imo) and Flora one seems creazy, auras then probably Aqua - in early especially (it depends what aura you want to have, Sakura have defensive one, Elise, Camilla and Hinoka are offensive ones) that's all i think? I probably forgot about something lol
If i would talk about worst ones... then unfortunally Gurei which i will use anyway (lol) but let's be honest there, 4 hp for wait in late game is horrible. however Hisame, Kisaragi ones doesn't seems so bad, just more situational (however it's not like you need them in story mode) and IMO Soleil one - i think you do want to have marriage together to have most bonuses from it, her passive is active when support unit is famele but she can't have marriage with woman so it automatically cuts her off a S rank support if you want to use it badly.
Don't know much about others skills, there may be even worse but it's my personal thought about that so yeah : P

Well, as dual strikes are at 100% these days (but half power), a S-rank pair-up might be somewhat less incentize (I'm referring to Guard Stance here).

You basically get 11 stat points at A-rank or 13 points at S-rank (9 or 11 non-move stat points instead if your class gives +1 movement). Now, getting +2 to both sources of damage [mag/phys] is an equivalent boost to 4 stat points [even if she focuses on one stat and thus 2 in useful effect], and getting -2 damage taken is similar to having +2 DEF/+2 RES.

So in guard stance, Soliel is getting a stronger boost by being with an A-rank girl than she is by being with her husband [generally], presuming she wants to focus on attack/defense. So stick her with Sophie, Mitama, Ophelia, or Eponine at A-rank…

I'm not saying its the best of skills, far from it, just that it shifts the incentives for Soleil such that she'd often be better off with her A-rank than her S-rank.

Well, as dual strikes are at 100% these days (but half power), a S-rank pair-up might be somewhat less incentize (I'm referring to Guard Stance here).

You basically get 11 stat points at A-rank or 13 points at S-rank (9 or 11 non-move stat points instead if your class gives +1 movement). Now, getting +2 to both sources of damage [mag/phys] is an equivalent boost to 4 stat points [even if she focuses on one stat and thus 2 in useful effect], and getting -2 damage taken is similar to having +2 DEF/+2 RES.

So in guard stance, Soliel is getting a stronger boost by being with an A-rank girl than she is by being with her husband [generally], presuming she wants to focus on attack/defense. So stick her with Sophie, Mitama, Ophelia, or Eponine at A-rank…

I'm not saying its the best of skills, far from it, just that it shifts the incentives for Soleil such that she'd often be better off with her A-rank than her S-rank.

Soleil can A-support Femui. That will be +4-4 damage.

Oh, i understand now!

However i would still stick her to husband (lol) but thanks for explain!

Well, if you get everyone, you have 11 females (Kanna+10 others) and 10 males in the 2nd gen if you have male Kamui.

If you marry 1st gen and miss a child, you either have 10 females (Kanna+9) and 10 males or 11 females and 9 males; this depends on who misses out on their kid. Oh, and if you go for the Kamui x Zero gay marriage, then you miss both Kanna and Eponine, so you'd have 9 females and 10 males.

So, if you left one of the parents who would have given birth to a son unmarried by having the male Avatar/Kamui marry the woman whom that parent would have otherwise married, you will be able to create 9 male/female 2nd gen marriages and then have 2 females left over, unable to be married.

So then you could let Soleil remain unmarried and make sure that the other unmarried girl is someone who A-supports with her and who is okay with being the support unit.

The other girl wouldn't benefit as much as Soleil does, but if you have them in Guard Stance for example then that really won't matter that much.

You'd still be missing a character, but you'd have all your second gens in pairs with either S-rank or A-rank + Girl Lover Soleil.