Streaming Sessions

Lenh

The subject of organizing something for streaming has come up a couple of times, so here's a public thread for it. Chime in if you'd like to see something, are able to stream (and would like the excuse to), have some input that could help someone start streaming, or whatever!

Personally I use OpenBroadcaster (x) configured for livestream and am fine with spur of the moment broadcasts. (I'm pretty novice at it, but it works for me and hopefully anyone viewing atm.) A bit curious to know what other people's setups are as well~

Edited by Lenh

I like live streams, unfortunately I've missed most of them :( Maybe if they were more scheduled they'd be easier to catch? My spriting power really depends on mood though so it might be hard to schedule for that... I've never done a stream, but I'd be willing to try it!

I tend to occasionally stream splice comp stuff in private, since it's worked in my favor as proof for the bullshit splices I make.

Like Lenh, I use OBS, but I have it connected to Twitch. I don't tend to use the mic much, unless there's a decent amount of conversation going on and I'm too lazy to type/reply to everyone, and using mic tends to be more conducive to LPing, anyway, since I don't think I need to explain my spriting methods quite as much when I'm already streaming my process.

I used to have Livestream, so I might look back into that, since Twitch's layout bugs me a little. I also used to use ManyCam, Camtasia, and some Adobe Flash Media whatever thing to help configure sound. That was a big, long workaround I really didn't need, since my computer can't necessarily handle streaming all that well, and the fewer programs I have running in the background, the better.

I wouldn't be against sitting in and chatting, though other than my traces for the Radiant, I'm not sure I'd enjoy being the focus, I haven't spliced in ages and short of small fixes for other people's stuff I really haven't done anything outside of my current project in half a year?

Edited by NICKTâ„¢

Do the streams also get recorded? I'm in a weird timezone which means a lot of the time they're on during my working hours or while I'm sleeping.

We should have a community account where all of our streams get recorded, and we can take turns on who gets to be the "focus" of that day or whatever.

Or not, I have no idea if that would even work.

Do the streams also get recorded? I'm in a weird timezone which means a lot of the time they're on during my working hours or while I'm sleeping.

I know that Twitch does, but it only sticks around for a couple weeks before you either have to save it or upload to YT.

We should have a community account where all of our streams get recorded, and we can take turns on who gets to be the "focus" of that day or whatever.

That'd be cool, but also problematic into a lot of ways, since any number of people messing with a single account with no measure of control could easily end up with one fucker sabotaging the entire scheme.

• 2 weeks later...

Wondering if this idea could overlap/link to some of those ideas I have been discussing?

Serenes Pixel Art Community Events... And the Community Pool general spriting chat and questions thread?

Or perhaps this is an alternative?

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

im pretty sure there's a thing at twitch where a channel can host someone else's channel...idk how it works but ive seen it lots of times

• 3 weeks later...

...ah damnit, OK.

I volunteer as tribute.

Any advice on how to go about this, guys? We want YouTube or Twitch account? My basic idea is to set up a generic Serenes Spriting channel, have the password available to a select few for maintenance.

...I would be willing to host this for a bit at least unless someone else steps up/wants to do it?

Well, we can have multiple people stream to the same Twitch account, but Twitch only saves vids for 15 days before they're nuked into the void. If we want to save streams, we'd need both.

Twitch - make the stream key available to those who ask/request it, and keep a running total of who's using it; would suggest keeping a spreadsheet

YT - one account where the person/people who run the Twitch account can connect the YT account and upload vids from Twitch

I can definitely help with initial setup and maintenance, if it's necessary, but I also realize I'm also a little bit unreliable when it comes to constant upkeep.

Also, we'll probably have to establish some guidelines for appropriate behavior and content, etc., and how to handle staff, users, viewers, etc. --Or, I could be making this a lot more formal than it has to be, and we could just run the channels/accounts and see how things go from there.

@Aeo

Basic guidelines would probably be a good idea, but yeah we don't need to really go too in depth. I would say general code of conduct stuff from Serenes would probably work in terms of content?

Anyways, that sounds good. Maybe send me a PM or Skype about setting this up then as I am capable but just not familiar with the setup/usage of twitch and YouTube channels and would appreciate any insight to advice... Especially as I just want to help facilitate this for the people who want to use it.

----

So to sum up, if I understood correctly, we need.

1) Twitch account

-For uploading the vids in general

2) YouTube account

-For compiling the uploaded vids

3) Spreadsheet/Doc to keep track of the passwords+accounts and videos/contributors?

my up speed is bogus, but i could pin a dedicated thread to streams/ recordings that we can post on once the ball gets rolling on this

That sounds awesome bud, thanks! :D

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

could we have a general stream topic in like, creative section instead of just sprites? i think that would work better for us

Seems like a good idea, but at the same time, I'd be more keen on keeping it to just sprites. Most people who do art/other in the creative section probably have their own streams, and mixing general art and sprites in the same stream might not entirely be what people are looking for. Part of what I'm assuming is the premise for the sprite stream channel is to act as reference/guides/etc. for spriters by watching how other spriters make things. Adding general art would probably defeat that purpose.

Personally speaking, I'd be more interested in a strictly sprites-only channel than a general creative channel.

@Aeo

Basic guidelines would probably be a good idea, but yeah we don't need to really go too in depth. I would say general code of conduct stuff from Serenes would probably work in terms of content?

Anyways, that sounds good. Maybe send me a PM or Skype about setting this up then as I am capable but just not familiar with the setup/usage of twitch and YouTube channels and would appreciate any insight to advice... Especially as I just want to help facilitate this for the people who want to use it.

----

So to sum up, if I understood correctly, we need.

1) Twitch account

-For uploading the vids in general

2) YouTube account

-For compiling the uploaded vids

3) Spreadsheet/Doc to keep track of the passwords+accounts and videos/contributors?

That sounds awesome bud, thanks! :D

1) Yes.

2) Yes.

3) More or less; it'd be fine to just keep it as a list of contributors/users, since it should be pretty easy to tell who's streaming what, and which videos belong to whom.

And yeah, for guidelines, it'd be easiest just to go with general SF CoC. The only issue with this shared system is how to prevent "banned" users from continuing to stream to the channel. I think you can reset the stream key and redistribute the new one, but that sounds like a pain, and hopefully won't be something that needs to be done.

Also, regarding uploads - I think everything should be uploaded by default, unless otherwise requested. If users have to submit requests to have their videos uploaded, it'd take too long, so as the other way around, all videos will be uploaded unless the user requests it not to (and, by extension, request it to be deleted). Maybe users can request specifically to never have theirs uploaded or whatever, but it'd probably just be easier to upload everything.

As for when uploads should be done, I think we should probably also set up a system where all videos over a week are uploaded on that week's Saturday or Sunday in a giant batch. This might not necessarily reduce the workload, but it'll give time for people to submit no-upload/deletion/etc. requests, and keep videos processed in a pretty organized fashion. Depending on how this goes, though, and the quantity of videos to be processed and uploaded, it may just be easier to default to "whenever possible." If that's the case, it might be a good idea to keep a running list of all videos in the spreadsheet, as you've previously suggested. Again, though, it pretty much depends on how heavy the influx of videos will be.

The account staff will have some pretty tedious/intensive duties. They'll have to know all of the users and be able to identify and label the vids accordingly, and be willing to individually rename/edit/label every vid that comes in, as well as all uploads sent to YT. Furthermore, they'll have to check in and document things (if we go with documenting all videos). Ideally, it'd be best done by one person, so as to limit errors from doubling up, and then have a second person come in and verify afterward.

Edited by Sphalerite

if the shared channel thing doesnt work out we can always just have ppl update in this topic maybe?

Seems like a good idea, but at the same time, I'd be more keen on keeping it to just sprites. Most people who do art/other in the creative section probably have their own streams, and mixing general art and sprites in the same stream might not entirely be what people are looking for. Part of what I'm assuming is the premise for the sprite stream channel is to act as reference/guides/etc. for spriters by watching how other spriters make things. Adding general art would probably defeat that purpose.

Personally speaking, I'd be more interested in a strictly sprites-only channel than a general creative channel.

good point now that i think about it...ya never mind what i said

Well Hoshi, I am not opposed to a Creative Channel thing as well. But I think likely it would be best if the creative subforum took care of their own as opposed to us merging them?

(Although, could be possible to have a playlists with one for sprites, one for art, one for even fangames maybe? But likely best to focus on trying to get this idea up and running, before we try expanding it further... But hey, more power to you if the creative subforum does their own?)

@ Aeo

Sundays work well for me in terms of a fair bit of time potentially available. That would work great for an upload/update time personally imo.

K, I can set up the basic doc, and channels by the end of the Weekend hopefully. If not able to get it done by then, I will definitely have time in the upcoming week with a minor reading break.

---

Do we have any volunteers or nominations for account staff/maintenance? I have some people in mind that I would like to ask who I feel would be both capable and trustworthy, but would rather open it up for the opportunity to have the community nominate people/volunteer first off.

This is a community thing after all, I just wanna help get it going, help facilitate. :)