What do you *honestly* think about the DLC?

PhantomThief

Ever since the DLC for Fire Emblem: IF / Fates came out, there have been things that were bothering me. I'd like to share them with you and am interested to hear your opinion on them as well! Everyone has different options, so feel free to agree or disagree with me on certain parts. I apologise if this post may be long, but I hope you'll bear with me.

Anna the Outlaw

Anna has always been a popular character in the Fire Emblem franchise. She's the face of many stores in previous Fire Emblem games, the gatekeeper in Awakening and the store attendant in Genei Ibun Roku #FE. Anna is a character that everyone who played Fire Emblem knows and she's a very popular character as well.

In IF / Fates, Anna is now a paid DLC character. You can't get her through normal means, unless you pay for her. Just like the other units, she has supports, full skinship functionality and marriage options. Anna might be the gatekeeper for the Dragon's Gate, but that still is no excuse for making her paid DLC in my opinion. For such a popular, loved character, I think it's truly disrespectful to put her as paid DLC.

Invisible Kingdom: Beginning & Conclusion

Honestly, I don't really have any good word to say about this one. I did really enjoy it, but already having to pay for the Invisible Kingdom and then making you pay again for backstory? Luna, Odin & Lazward mention that they're actually Severa, Owain & Inigo in a conversation with Kamui, yet the game never references back to it unless you get the DLC. It's part of the story. The story that is already divided in 3 games making you have to buy all 3 paths to get a full story.

Weapon DLC (Duelist Museum)

Once you complete the game and buy every limited-stock item you can buy, the shops never restock. They'll only have the normal infinitely-stocked items that - although some are useful - aren't anything special. If you want the stronger, better and more unique weapons and want to forge those weapons (seeing as you need duplicates of the weapon you want to forge), you'll have to buy the weapon DLC.

DLC Skills

I'm fine with the DLC classes, as they don't have broken stats or anything. However, the skills can be a problem. Skills such as Aether, Rally Spectrum, Ignis, Shadowgift, Warp & Witch's Poison are all very effective and useful skills to have on your units, yet are all locked behind a paywall in a way (I know you can get Aether from Great Lord as well, yet you only get 1 Great Lord seal). Skills that other than Warp & Witch's Poison have been in Awakening before and have proven themselves very useful. If you're planning on playing Online Multiplayer, it's a safe bet you'll see lots of people using these skills (especially Warp & Rally Spectrum), seeing as they're extremely useful and Warp is completely broken in battle. They give you a high advantage in combat. Of course, I'm not saying it's not possible to beat people with these skills, but they do have an big advantage.

Although there are still other questionable DLC items on my mind (and other stuff regarding the game), I don't want to make this post too long or a pain for people to read. Please don't get me wrong, I highly enjoy the game. I know DLC is optional, but these especially have been bugging me and would like to hear what you all think of the DLC released so far.

Thank you all very much for your time reading this!

Anna: I felt it was...kind of silly. I personally don't *overly* mind the fact...but it's still a little bit of a...gripe, that, "You have to pay to get 100% characters"

Invisible History: Answers some questions, but overall it was...kind of badly done. If they don't have some kind of follow up I'd be disappointed

Weapon DLC: No real comments. No gripes really.......

DLC Skills:

Aether: It's strong yes, it's powerful yes. "Fair"? Yes. "Fair as DLC?" Yes. Then again, I have a very.....lenient? View on DLC, so it may just be me

Rally Spectrum: It's not really that broken anymore, in my opinion

Ignis: Breaking Sky is statistically better for Physical vs Physical units with a 50% higher activation rate (at base)

Shadowgift: Not until/if they release more dark tomes

Warp: No idea. It could possibly be "the top" or "second best" or "top tier~" skill, but I don't know. PVE I have no idea, PVP is crap anyway............

Witch Poison: It's powerful yes...but Warp is probably more of a concern for me right now. It is powerful yes, possibly *too* powerful. But I don't know how it'll stack out

Edited by CocoaGalaxy

Yeah, really, I don't think the DLC is the least of the online balance problems to the point that I wouldn't even say "you need DLC to enjoy online". Just play with friends and set your own rules or else it'll just be range-dancing anyway, even without considering DLC. For the story stuff, just watch a youtube video or read the script--if the gameplay isn't fun, don't buy it.

Anna is the only questionable bit of DLC so far, in my opinion, at least in terms of modern-era DLC practices and only because she's the mascot. I don't really like DLC in general, but that's neither here nor there in relation to Fire Emblem specifically; comparatively they're doing fine.

It's a mixed bag.

First, I am rather upset at the return of grind DLC, especially now that online multiplayer is a part of the game. I don't want the person with the deepest pockets to be at a significant advantage. Granted, there's a handicap mode and I'd like to see it in play. I want multiplayer based more on tactics than grind/pay-2-win.

Moving beyond that, I feel there is some potential in the other DLC maps back. It's nice to see Elincia's Gambit back, and seeing characters such as Anna (Jake DLC pls). Also, it seems they've gotten creative with some DLC excursions such as "Battle for the Best Royal." I think it'll be interesting to see some more Story based DLC in vein of Future Past. Finally, I think a good challenge map should be in order, but with a focus more on mechanics and layout than statistics.

Anyhow, just my 2 cents.

Lets see…. I agree that Anna being paid DLC is bad, particularly as so much of her information was already on the cart to begin with.

"To get a full story"…. here I think its important to define all of our terms…. strictly speaking, each of the routes does tell a "full story" in the sense of having a series of events that includes the beginning, the middle, and the end, and a conclusion with some form of victorious ending [although some are bittersweet]. So you do get "full stories" from each route. That said, you are correct that to get complementary information that elaborates upon that which you saw on the other routes, you would need all three routes… So evaluating this term depends on how we define "full story" and if we consider the three routes as three separate stories (in which case all are full stories) or as integral pieces of a larger arc (in which case they can be considered separately incomplete).

Weapons…. not being able to restock staves higher than Heal/Mend is problematic (it basically forces you to use Heal/Mend and regenerative skills and save the staves for story/paralogues, which is fine in a no-grind run but problematic in an extended DLC run)….. for the other weapons, I generally find it okay, as in the other games we also had plenty of limited supply weapons [and limited Hammerne to support them too]. And it makes forging more of a strategic decision….

Anna: I felt it was...kind of silly. I personally don't *overly* mind the fact...but it's still a little bit of a...gripe, that, "You have to pay to get 100% characters"

Invisible History: Answers some questions, but overall it was...kind of badly done. If they don't have some kind of follow up I'd be disappointed

Weapon DLC: No real comments. No gripes really.......

DLC Skills:

Aether: It's strong yes, it's powerful yes. "Fair"? Yes. "Fair as DLC?" Yes. Then again, I have a very.....lenient? View on DLC, so it may just be me

Rally Spectrum: It's not really that broken anymore, in my opinion

Ignis: Breaking Sky is statistically better for Physical vs Physical units with a 50% higher activation rate (at base)

Shadowgift: Not until/if they release more dark tomes

Warp: No idea. It could possibly be "the top" or "second best" or "top tier~" skill, but I don't know. PVE I have no idea, PVP is crap anyway............

Witch Poison: It's powerful yes...but Warp is probably more of a concern for me right now. It is powerful yes, possibly *too* powerful. But I don't know how it'll stack out

Ah, I may have worded my last paragraph a little weird. I agree that there are some better skills out there as well that you can get normally, yet I just find it a bit unfortunate that have played a pretty big role in previous games (Aether - Ike, Ignis - Reflet) have to be behind paywalls. I do agree with you that the PVP system isn't very steady as well, it's just more based on the fact that there is a PVP system and people who are really excited for it, might end up being a little disappointed. Thank you very much for your reply and interest in this topic!

Yeah, really, I don't think the DLC is the least of the online balance problems to the point that I wouldn't even say "you need DLC to enjoy online". Just play with friends and set your own rules or else it'll just be range-dancing anyway, even without considering DLC. For the story stuff, just watch a youtube video or read the script--if the gameplay isn't fun, don't buy it.

Anna is the only questionable bit of DLC so far, in my opinion, at least in terms of modern-era DLC practices and only because she's the mascot. I don't really like DLC in general, but that's neither here nor there in relation to Fire Emblem specifically; comparatively they're doing fine.

The game definitely has some online balance problems that are already known. Of course, not everyone will end up trying out the online multiplayer, but the people that do end up playing it might become a bit disappointed knowing they don't have all the tools available for them and that some tools are DLC. Of course, again, I'm not stating that it's impossible to win. In fact, it's all about strategy, but people with certain DLC skills have some huge advantages. I'm not saying the gameplay isn't fun, I actually highly enjoy it as I mentioned! After all, it's a great game, I'm just giving my two cents on the DLC that the game has to offer. Still, thank you for your reply and interest!

It's a mixed bag.

First, I am rather upset at the return of grind DLC, especially now that online multiplayer is a part of the game. I don't want the person with the deepest pockets to be at a significant advantage. Granted, there's a handicap mode and I'd like to see it in play. I want multiplayer based more on tactics than grind/pay-2-win.

Moving beyond that, I feel there is some potential in the other DLC maps back. It's nice to see Elincia's Gambit back, and seeing characters such as Anna (Jake DLC pls). Also, it seems they've gotten creative with some DLC excursions such as "Battle for the Best Royal." I think it'll be interesting to see some more Story based DLC in vein of Future Past. Finally, I think a good challenge map should be in order, but with a focus more on mechanics and layout than statistics.

Anyhow, just my 2 cents.

I think it would definitely be a nice addition to see Elincia's Gambit, haha. Hopefully they'll have a season dedicated to older Fire Emblem games, it would be a nice addition and I'm sure a lot of fans would enjoy it! Having a good challenge map such as Apotheosis sounds great! After all, who doesn't love bringing all their units together for one final 'test'? Thank you very much for your reply and interest!

Lets see…. I agree that Anna being paid DLC is bad, particularly as so much of her information was already on the cart to begin with.

"To get a full story"…. here I think its important to define all of our terms…. strictly speaking, each of the routes does tell a "full story" in the sense of having a series of events that includes the beginning, the middle, and the end, and a conclusion with some form of victorious ending [although some are bittersweet]. So you do get "full stories" from each route. That said, you are correct that to get complementary information that elaborates upon that which you saw on the other routes, you would need all three routes… So evaluating this term depends on how we define "full story" and if we consider the three routes as three separate stories (in which case all are full stories) or as integral pieces of a larger arc (in which case they can be considered separately incomplete).

Weapons…. not being able to restock staves higher than Heal/Mend is problematic (it basically forces you to use Heal/Mend and regenerative skills and save the staves for story/paralogues, which is fine in a no-grind run but problematic in an extended DLC run)….. for the other weapons, I generally find it okay, as in the other games we also had plenty of limited supply weapons [and limited Hammerne to support them too]. And it makes forging more of a strategic decision….

Each of the routes does tell a story, although every story leaves quite unanswered questions that are answered in another story. However, that story also leaves unanswered questions that are answered in another story, the Third Path. I agree that people may define 'full story' differently, after all, different people have different takes on stuff! Let's say I'd consider Hoshido, Nohr & Touma to all be a 'full satisfying story' that doesn't leave any plot points or unanswered questions, I wouldn't have much of a problem with it. Yet, all the games are connected and every game leaves some unanswered questions (I've really been using those words a lot now, haven't I? Whoops!). I guess you could say it wasn't as in some previous Fire Emblem games, where you bought one game and would get a complete story. Now, I'm not saying I don't support the idea of having separate games (although it does raise some questions), but there is a reason they made multiple paths after all.

It does make forging a bit more strategic maybe, but - seeing as you unfortunately can't re-do forges - I can see why it would be annoying to some people if they wanted to make some strong weapons.

Thank you very much for your reply and interest in this topic!

I actually wish Ballistician and Witch were in the game itself and not limited to DLC, just because I totally would want to see them as part of Nohrs army. Dark Falcon and Dread Fighter could be Hoshido units.

I feel that Invisible History should have come with IK, even if only as side chapters to do rather than limiting it to DLC and thus keeping most of the things in it a secret.

Looking at things from face value, considering 4chan proved that like, a lot of DLC was already completed by the game's release allows me to make this complaint here:

I consider the point of DLC to be additions that the creators wanted to come up with later, so making all that DLC before the game's release seems really scummy to me.

It should also be noted that from what I've heard, all of Hoshido's data is on the Nohr cartridge already and vice versa, can anyone confirm whether this is true or not?

Anna was already in the game. Everyone complains about how Capcom constantly makes use of on-disc DLC, so the same principal should be applied here. Anna is terrible DLC.

Going to Invisible History for a bit, again, they had time to make DLC before the game's release, there's no excuse to NOT make it a part of Invisible Kingdom in the first place.

Overall, I think Intelligent Systems is handling DLC horribly, and should've spent their development cycle fixing potential problems with the game, rather than adding more content as DLC, some of which already being in the game.

Anna the Outlaw

Anna is a cameo character, nothing more nothing less. This sure is a cameo. Cameo rhymes with whameo.

Invisible Kingdom

I can get why people are bothered by this, but I honestly couldn't care less about IK after getting spoiled on it.

Weapon DLC

You're getting fleeced.

DLC Skills

You're getting fleeced again. At least these come with DLC characters IIRC. Giving an advantage in online multiplayer doesn't matter considering how inconsequential that is to the experience.

It should also be noted that from what I've heard, all of Hoshido's data is on the Nohr cartridge already and vice versa, can anyone confirm whether this is true or not?

I don't have the game, but based on all the discussion I heard on the subject on Serenes a few days after the game came out and the game's data was dumped, this is most likely totally untrue.

You do have the character data for facing opposing route characters as enemies, but you don't have the unique maps, CGIs, dialogues, non-shared paralogues, etc.

Unless new information has come out to contradict that since the initial data dump.

On one hand, its 100% in character for Anna to be paid DLC. On the other hand, Im angry. Dedicated fans are already dishing out ~$80 just to get all 3 paths. I know a few extra bucks isnt that much to spend, but I dont really think theyre lacking in the money making for Fates.

Holy crackers! Are you me? I agree with all of these points (minus Shadowgift being good, lol).

Anna the outlaw: I would have hoped the mascot would be available in-game. She shouldn't show up in the supports list if she isn't in the default game.

Invisible Kingdom: Yes. It's absurd you need a 2nd DLC to give backstory to the 1st DLC that is supposed to be the biggest "behind the scenes" DLC to begin with. To add insult to injury, both DLCs only compound the issues of the plot as a whole.

Weapon DLC: This has two main problems. 1. You need to play (aka purchase) IK just to get all of the weapons, which I feel is a cheap way to incentivize the route, and 2. forging for the better weapons is impossible without it. If there is any single DLC that I feel should have been a part of the base game, it's this one.

Skills: I can't comment on PVP because I don't have the intention to play it but for single-player, I like most of the DLC skills and think they are conceptually interesting (especially the Witch's latter two skills).

Edited by NekoKnight

She shouldn't show up in the supports list if she isn't in the default game.

Yeah, that's a pretty good point. For Awakening the freeDLC characters had their silhouettes show up which was kind of a neat "this is what you'll be getting" thing, but to do that for a payed character is FTP MMO levels of advertisement scummery. I don't really know why she wasn't the free map out of the pack.

I'm sort of 'meh' on DLC, but the thing that pisses me off is Anna being DLC. That just…annoys me for reasons I can't convey into words. Money-loving girl does cost money now…ha.

I don't think Anna is a problem because she's a full character offered only as a DLC, I think she's a problem because she's a full character who was in the game's data (apparently even in the support list?), being offered as paid DLC. Also, so far, she has been the only DLC character outside of Cipher tie ins, which aren't as fully featured as the main cast. So, IS just seems very lazy. I wouldn't complain about more full fledged characters if they actually aren't locked content and feel like additions to the game.

Aside from Anna's own, all these DLC chapters in the 2nd batch don't even seem to have proper stories, and are basically just challenge maps to unlock the game's content.

Edit: Technically, you can get witches and Ballistician from free DLC too, even if it's one per file (and you can probably have more by using the logbook anyway).

The inconsistent writing and odd plot devices in the DLC chapters meant to explain the backstory actually make me feel they're actually just extras, so I'm not bothered about them. Although in general I was expecting more out of their DLC at this point.

Anna was already in the game. Everyone complains about how Capcom constantly makes use of on-disc DLC, so the same principal should be applied here. Anna is terrible DLC.

Going to Invisible History for a bit, again, they had time to make DLC before the game's release, there's no excuse to NOT make it a part of Invisible Kingdom in the first place.

Invisible History wasn't one of the DLC that popped up around the release date though. IIRC, the ones that leaked early were the free Awakening one and the beach one.

Edited by NeonZ

The only problem I have with the DLC for this game is the 3rd route being DLC. A game should stand on its own and having to buy the "golden route" is a little rediculous. I personally don't even like to think of it as the "golden route" because it just seems like "extra" content to me but unfortunately it's the only one that fully concludes the story. If I were to make the golden ending DLC, I would find a way to add it to the end of both routes instead. Or make it the original game and the Nohr/Hoshido routes DLC.

Invisible History wasn't one of the DLC that popped up around the release date though. IIRC, the ones that leaked early were the free Awakening one and the beach one.

True. I was more getting annoyed about them working on DLC prior to the game's release, rather than ironing out the game, checking for problems and whatnot.

Unpopular opinion here, but I honestly think Fates should've been released in 2016, to iron out a lot of the issues I've seen with the game.

The Awakening DLC is way too hard. And if they fought kunai enemies there, why aren't those available in Awakening? Actually, they also have super-durable weapons that the Awakening crew for some reason didn't take with them. Nowhere as silly as Ike telling Shinon and Soren to stop gathering weapons from dead enemies when they're direly in need of those, but still.

​

The standard grinding DLCs are a mixed bag. Money and experience are easy, but the weapon map is hard. You also get random weapons, which means you can fight so hard just to get a bunch of iron weapons. Seriously, the raffle is more reliable.

I don't want an bonuses other than gold and experience. (And on that note, whose brilliant idea is it to have only one instance of the lord reclassing item? Maybe they're actually making a wave 3 DLC...) Actually, I don't even want some of the stuff that's already in the game (like Eternal Seals). Balance issue and all that.

I still like the DLC for the actual maps. If anything, I'm glad they didn't reuse the same map three times over like they did with Awakening. And I'm really glad that one of my favourite Radiant Dawn maps is available.

The Awakening DLC is way too hard. And if they fought kunai enemies there, why aren't those available in Awakening? Actually, they also have super-durable weapons that the Awakening crew for some reason didn't take with them. Nowhere as silly as Ike telling Shinon and Soren to stop gathering weapons from dead enemies when they're direly in need of those, but still.

​

Hah, it can be. It depends on when you do the map but if you don't have at least 2 characters who can tank kunai hits, you're going to have a bad time.

It's not really the issue of the kunai themselves, it's just you need someone (Elfie for my Nohr playthrough and Rinka for my Hoshido playthrough) who has enough defense to 1) not take damage from the kunai, because you are probably getting doubled by the ninja and 2) survive the other enemies after your defense gets dropped. Whoever gets attacked by the ninja is going to be chain pulled into the thick of the enemy soldiers, so they need to be hardy.

There is a mix of enemy weapon types (but mercifully no magic) but I'd consider the ninja as the biggest threat because of their Strike Through skill and high avoid. They pop out of the 4 forts on the map 2-3 times, so the "fun" doesn't stop.

Would anna be considered a mascot? She's a recurring character, sure, but I've never seen her used as the face of the game like Pikachu or Jack Frost. As for her DLC, yeah, kinda screwed up that she's on disc, but it's not like she's been playable before Awakening. I'd overlook her completely if she couldn't support.

Invisible History: Raised more questions and logic holes than anything, pretty disappointing.

Invisible Kingdom: AKA the game about choices where your choice doesn't matter because you're wrong. Wish they'd just let me get this version so I can save time.

Weapon DLC: Whatever, its there for folks that want an easier game

Skill DLC: Same thing as weapons.

In short, I'm buying it all, and I hate both myself and IS