Cordelia: Falcon Knight or Dark Flier?

~Silver

So I've been debating what Cordelia's final class should be. See, Sumia, who I constantly compare her to, is a more supportive class for me, with the Skill Set of: Lancefaire, Dual Guard+/Luna, Limit Breaker, Iote's Shield, and Renewal/Galeforce. I'll swap Dual Guard+ and Renewal out for Luna and Galeforce when she's not a supportive role, aka not someone's partner in Pair Up. (Which, with Chrom being the leader, is rare mind you)

Overall, with Cordelia's generous Skill Set, regardless of her final class I'll have Iote's Shield, Limit Breaker, Armsthrift, Galeforce and... I'm debating between Sol and Lifetaker, but I'll decide when the time comes. So, at first glance, she's obviously more aggressive than Sumia, and that's how I plan to use her. Thing is, I'm keeping Sumia as a Falcon Knight, no question, but odd thing is, Sumia would be better as a Dark Flier, and Cordelia better as a Falcon Knight. It's funny, too, as I'm leaning toward Cordelia being a Dark Flier. The reason for this is due to, again, her flexibility to be aggressive, and with Armsthrift the idea of wielding Tomes won't go to waste.

(On a side note, if I decide on Cordelia being a Falcon Knight, the skillset involving Bowbreaker and Tomebreaker, replacing Iote's Shield and Sol/Lifetaker is appealing)

So, any ideas? Suggestions?

I dunno. Usually I have them both as Falcon Knights and Cynthia as the Dark Flier. Though I do see your reasoning... the problem is Sumia gets both Tomefaire and Lancefaire, so idk...

First off, Falcon Knight Sumia indeed works best as a supportive unit, as her Strength Stat in that class, after Lancefaire, is only about as good as an absolute base Assassin, and you usually don't want to exclude Weaponfaire skills from the final lineup. Otherwise, she is best left as either a Dark Flier or Sage.

Cordelia as a Dark Flier suffers from the fact that her Strength mod is largely wasted, as Dark Flier is meant more for magical prowess, something which Cordelia can't do without Tomefaire. Coincidentally, no Tomefaire for Cordelia, which means Flier Cordelia preforms worse than Flier Sumia.

Simply put, Cordelia is a physical aggressive unit. Hero, Bride, Falcon Flier, and Bow Knight are the classes she can end in without wasting any of her mods, with Falcon Flier and Bride benefiting most due to Lancefaire. Both classes coincidentally give her Staff usability, so she can be a mixed aggressive supportive unit, though Bride has slightly larger range when using distanced staves, and Falcon Knight can move around more to compensate for the lower range.

The thing about weapon breaker skills is that they are largely situational, and usually keeping Cordelia away from these units who put her in danger is relatively easy by utilizing Galeforce and Falcon Knights' large mobility range. Equipping Tome/Bowbreaker takes up two skill slots where Iote's Shield's one skill slot works just fine, with the only difference between the two being that Cordelia can avoid Bows and Tomes all the time. Also both are made useless when the enemy has hit increasing skills like Hit Rate +20 and Hawkeye. My Cordelia would be using Iote's if it weren't for the fact that I don't have the DLC...

The thing about weapon breaker skills is that they are largely situational, and usually keeping Cordelia away from these units who put her in danger is relatively easy by utilizing Galeforce and Falcon Knights' large mobility range. Equipping Tome/Bowbreaker takes up two skill slots where Iote's Shield's one skill slot works just fine, with the only difference between the two being that Cordelia can avoid Bows and Tomes all the time. Also both are made useless when the enemy has hit increasing skills like Hit Rate +20 and Hawkeye. My Cordelia would be using Iote's if it weren't for the fact that I don't have the DLC...

Iote's Shield can be a waste of a skill slot by itself if the player always keep Cordelia out of range from bows/wind magic. Breaker skills are situational indeed but the Hit bonus can be very useful depending on the amount of certain enemy classes that show up on the map though most of Cordelia's physical classes have rather high Skill caps (not to mention that Cordelia does have a nice Skill growth rate) anyways so Cordelia shouldn't be having a problem landing hits.

I mostly use Cordelia as a Falcon Knight to make use of her higher Strength stat and growth and Sumia as Dark Flier mage because of her superior magic stat and access to Tomefaire (and because of the badass black pegasus). Usually, Cordelia has these skills equipped: Armshift, Sol/Vengeance, Galeforce, Axebreaker, Limit Breaker, while Sumia usually goes something like this: Dual Guard+/Tomefaire, Luna, Pavise, Galeforce, Limit Breaker. In my current playthrough, I have both as Falcon Knights, though Sumia takes on the role of a healer with the skill a Cleric learns at level 10 (I don't know the english name, sorry. In German, it's 'Hände auflegen'). It's the one that makes staves more effective.

So the two always fulfill different roles. When Sumia is a Dark Flier in my playthroughs, she is usually married to my avatar, who will then have a +Mag mod, while Cordelia is usually married to Gregor or Lon'qu (prefer Gregor, though, because it gives Severa access to Counter).

I hope that helps, at least a little.

What do people usually like for Cordelia's final class? Is staying in the PK tree after Galeforce even worth it?

Being able to ignore terrain is always nice and since she doesn't have Trickster as one of her optional classes being a flier is the only way to achieve this.

I have found that her relatively well rounded stats work well for making her a Hero though.

I always make her a bride since its the only other class beside fliers that can make use of her lancefaire, since she doesen't have any reliable damaging procs (unless you go vantage + vengeance route).

I always make her a bride since its the only other class beside fliers that can make use of her lancefaire, since she doesen't have any reliable damaging procs (unless you go vantage + vengeance route).

Makes me really wish this game had a Lancer/Halberdier class.

who needs Rally Movement when you've got Rally Heart.

They stack. Use both as a Rally to get +2 Move (+1 from each). Each extra space of move increases the amount of tiles you can reach by more than the last one.

Dark Flier's ratings are lower and even though it has a few benefits its still not the best fit for Cordelia.

Well, in a DLC postgame setting, the fact that DF gets a 1-2 ranged Brave is actually a substantial advantage in tactical options (for example, Brave attack an enemy who has Brave weapons themselves but stay out of their range).

Cordelia - Dark Flier

Galeforce

Vengeance [or another skill]

All Stats+2/Speed +2

Limit Breaker

Lancefaire or Armsthrift

Paired up with a Grandmaster, rallies, and tonics, you gets:

42 [Dark Flier base] + 2 [personal SPD mod] + 2 [sPD tonic] + 10 [Limit Breaker] + 10 [Rallies] + 7 [Grandmaster pair-up] + 2 [sPD +2] = 75

You get a unit capable of of doubling all enemies on Apotheosis; Avatar boosts STR/MAG/SKL/SPD

VV is less reliable than plain Vengeance, though (which is completely reliable itself, so there's not problem).

Dark Flier's ratings are lower

Ratings don't affect gameplay though, they're completely arbitrary. They weigh all stats equally, don't take Mov/weapon access into account, and if you can even see them you're doing something wrong because the bottom screen should always be on Full.

All things being equal, the utility of a 1-2 range brave tends to be a large advantage in Dark Flier's side.

If you can pair Cordelia with a magic using class, like a Sage, a Sorcerer, a Dark Knight, or a Grandmaster, etc., you can get really, really good results with a Dark Flier.