Fire Emblem is having an identity crisis.

Zachmac

332 members have voted

1. 1. Are you fine with the direction Awakening and Fates have been taking Fire Emblem in?

• I love shipping anime characters together!
    • You're not meant to be a dating simulator, Fire Emblem. Stop trying to be one.
    • I don't care as long as the gameplay is good.
    • These answers are worse than Azura's HP growths. My opinion is totally different then any of these!
  2. 2. Are you fine with gender exclusive classes and weapons?

• Genderlocks are unnecessary. Why shouldn't a man ride a pegasus?
    • Genderlocks are actually a little sexist at times. Looking at you, Bride class.
    • Fire Emblem has always had gender exlusive classes. I don't see the problem.
    • Removing the gender locks on several classes and then adding genderlocked weapons and DLC classes is just dumb.
    • These answers are worse than a promoted Asama's personal skill. My opinion is totally different then any of these!

I honestly think FE has always been some kind of changing game. Only core mechanics aka the stats and battle have stayed somewhat constant. After the NES games and FE3 intelligent systems tried something totally different with Jugdral, having skills and a different, darker, story type. Then the switch to handheld came and FE6 & 7 were kind of basic in comparison. Sure, FE8 brought split promo and world map but it was still simple compared to SNES mechanics. Then we went back to console, games got complicated. Biorhythm, skills, three tiers, whatever the hell chapter layout FE10 had, it was complicated. So FE went back to their roots and remade FE1 & 3. Reclass was cool but that's all that was new about it, at least in FE11. Now FE is changing their kind of style again, but they'll change things up in a game or two. They always have in the past. It's not the most consistent series, which is probably a good thing.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As am I, but then they brought in the Maid class (i.e. literal fetish fuel), so it's been one step forward and one step back in my opinion.

I would seriously rather look at Maid Gheb than Maid Eirika. I hope if we get Eirika DLC in any future FE, that her dialogue is actually Eirika's dialogue and not "uguu~ i'm so naive and kawaii~" and they have her in her normal clothes.

Edited by kantoorfarina

I would seriously rather look at Maid Gheb than Maid Eirika. I hope if we get Eirika DLC in any future FE, that her dialogue is actually Eirika's dialogue and not "uguu~ i'm so naive and kawaii~" and they have her in her normal clothes.

I don't remember that part in Awakening. But I do remember FE8 ending with Eirika still being overly trusting all the way through to the end of Sacred Stones in the way the post battle conversation in the Bride DLC chapter with her in suggests. I was going to post it last page but the conversation moved past it but Eirika suceeded and was a hero despite her naive nature, killing the demon king didn't magically remove her personal weaknesses or mean she conquered it. That's not to say she didn't develop, just that the parts highlighted by Awakening is still true by the end of Sacred Stones.

Edited by arvilino

I don't remember that part in Awakening. But I do remember FE8 ending with Eirika still being overly trusting all the way through to the end of Sacred Stones in the way the post battle conversation in the Bride DLC chapter with her in suggests. I was going to post it last page but the conversation moved past it but Eirika suceeded and was a hero despite her naive nature, killing the demon king didn't magically remove her personal weaknesses or mean she conquered it. That's not to say she didn't develop, just that the parts highlighted by Awakening is still true by the end of Sacred Stones.

Eirika was naive in Sacred Stones, yes. But it's far, far more exaggerated and taken out of context in Awakening and it almost feels as if it's suppose to be "sexy". Which it most certainly was not originally.

You might be blowing things a bit out of proportion mate.

I won't deny that. I'm probably seeing a lot of fan service that isn't there. There's nothing wrong with the bride outfit itself, but it's like they're portraying Eirika as a weak, cute housewife and that's what feels like fetish pandering.

Edited this post a bit because I definitely exaggerated some things and I didn't explain myself very well.

Edited by kantoorfarina

Eirika was naive in Sacred Stones, yes. But it's far, far more exaggerated in Awakening to the point where it's like they're subtly saying "hey write rape fan fiction about eirika".

Wait, what?

I won't deny that. I'm probably seeing a lot of fan service that isn't there, but when you put a respectable character in an outfit like that the first thing i'm going to think is "oh, fetish pandering."

Is "marriage fetish" actually a thing? I mean, I know it has to exist SOMEWHERE, because there's a fetish for everything, but is it really that wide-spread?

Is "marriage fetish" actually a thing? I mean, I know it has to exist SOMEWHERE, because there's a fetish for everything, but is it really that wide-spread?

Well, not marriage itself but I can more than assure you that there is quite the demographic for ''Cute girl in a western style wedding dress'' in the otaku corners believe it or not, placing emphasis on the ''cute and naive' side of your character doesn't help to the impression either.

So that people can live out their Maid RPG fantasies? No seriously, there is a maid RPG. Look it up

Theres also maid cafes in Japan. My Norwegian friend went to Japan with his wife this early summer and went to one. He said it was the most awkward thing he ever experienced in his life. Maids/Butlers are a Big Deal in Japan apparently. And that game looks fucking hilarious. Im with eclipse, lets get a couple bottles of Crown Royal and have a good time with that hilarity!

And yes there is such a thing as Wedding Obsessions. Why do you think theres hundreds of terrible reality shows detailing weddings and wedding dresses? I thought that was mostly an American/Western obsession, but i guess its a thing everywhere. I always found that really unsettling for some reason, and coming from me, thats saying something.

Eirika was naive in Sacred Stones, yes. But it's far, far more exaggerated and taken out of context in Awakening and it almost feels as if it's suppose to be "sexy". Which it most certainly was not originally.

I won't deny that. I'm probably seeing a lot of fan service that isn't there. There's nothing wrong with the bride outfit itself, but it's like they're portraying Eirika as a weak, cute housewife and that's what feels like fetish pandering.

Edited this post a bit because I definitely exaggerated some things and I didn't explain myself very well.

tbh i was more bothered by her dialogue in Champions of Yore 3. Her death quote especially. Its all revolving around Ephraim and its kinda...out of character and creepy.

It's also just weird because it's not like being a bride is part of Eirika's story at all- she's unmarried for all of FE8 except possibly the epilogue. If it were Nyna or some other married lady I guess it would have been more fitting at least.

tbh i was more bothered by her dialogue in Champions of Yore 3. Her death quote especially. Its all revolving around Ephraim and its kinda...out of character and creepy.

To be fair, it wasn't only Eirika, almost every enemy in Champions of Yore 3 had quotes that revolved around the other character from their game.

To be fair, it wasn't only Eirika, almost every enemy in Champions of Yore 3 had quotes that revolved around the other character from their game.

Sure, but Eirika's stuck out because its like she was trying to have Ephraim notice her, senpai style. Her death quote was like "Did you see me, brother? Did you see?" or something. Kinda unpleasant and OOC. Like, at least the Elincia and Lyn quotes were really in-character for them.

Let me know when the next FE with a truly engaging plot comes around. Really though, add Supports and modern skill mechanics to FE4 and I'd do some seriously questionable things to the entire IS staff. Assuming they were into it.

That is only half true. New FE does a lot of things I like, but a lot I don't like. Old FE does a lot of things I like, but is missing out on some of the innovative genius of later titles. That's why I feel the balance was best in 6-8. But if we could merge mondern mechanics to the stories and characters of old. (as well as old level designs) I think we'd have gold. The kind that everyone WANTS and will ENJOY. The only issue being children. I LOVE them conceptually when they make sense (ie FE4) but the competitor in me loves they way they work now days because of the competitive potential.

Sure, but Eirika's stuck out because its like she was trying to have Ephraim notice her, senpai style. Her death quote was like "Did you see me, brother? Did you see?" or something. Kinda unpleasant and OOC. Like, at least the Elincia and Lyn quotes were really in-character for them.

I hate how Awakening ships Eirika X Ephraim, too. Although as Fates has told us, IS doesn't know what sibling love is and were probably fapping to Eirika and Ephram's C support while writing that.

Unless your name is Elincia, female lords have generally gotten the shaft in all current FE games. And I don't think Elincia even counts as a lord. Eirika tends to be the easiest target of flanderization because she starts off as a naive as hell princess and her growth isn't as "obvious".

I hate how Awakening ships Eirika X Ephraim, too. Although as Fates has told us, IS doesn't know what sibling love is and were probably fapping to Eirika and Ephram's C support while writing that.

"Hmm...yes, this DLC is coming along nicely. Needs more incest though."

-An IS gametester.

Now, I can't say for certain, but couldn't that very well be a translation error and a misunderstanding from cultural differences? I never once found their Supports perverse. She felt incapable of being a leader and was desperately trying to become stronger. With her family gone, it only made sense to idolize her brother who she saw as everything she should be. Honestly, seeing it your way says more about you than the game.

Edited by Xylaugheon Daily

Now, I can't say for certain, but couldn't that very well be a translation error and a misunderstanding from cultural differences? I never once found their Supports perverse. She felt incapable of being a leader and was desperately trying to become stronger. With her family gone, it only made sense to idolize her brother who she saw as everything she should be. Honestly, seeing it your way says more about you than the game.

What I meant was their supports are completely platonic sibling love, I agree with you. Sadly a lot of people (modern IS included) see face rubbing and say "OMG incest confirmed!!!"

Edited by kantoorfarina

As far as Gender locked classes while I don't mind them, I think Reclassing just shouldn't be as free as it is. I'd rather having characters themselves be locked to certain classes, rather than genders.

I'm not fed up with the shipping, what I don't feel is correct is how much impact it actually has on gameplay, as it ends up restricting the way you can play

A a sort-of veteran, I have absolutely no problem with the shipping (although I have always preferred limited supports with equal platonic ones) but feel like IS can't make up its mind about how much prominence they want to give it, so they've just crammed in marriage and kids into Fates in order to appease the "new" fanbase without actually working so that it meshes with all other facets of the game. It just seems so out of place that you can literally marry your five year old sister and have her still call you Onii-chan.

I have difficulty coming to terms with the way the siblings are treated in regards to marriage and I'll probably never be able to reconcile that. I just hope FE can finally make up its mind about the direction its headed in. I want a game that works together and knows what it is, not a bunch of clusterfuck mechanics and elements tied together in the hopes of making everyone happy. I also understand that that sounds incredibly wanky and entitled, but I did enjoy Fates, just not as much as Awakening or the older games, which I felt were far more confident in their execution.

I'm new to FE, I admit, but I don't see much, if any, split between Shippings Emblem and Strategy Emblem, at least on a Game Development point-of-view.

Now, a split between Ships and Strats from a Fan point-of-view? Sorry, let me get back to you on that after I climb out of the deep, dark hole the vast split has created.

It's a situation where it's definitely a problem that mostly exists among vet FE fans. Objectively, Fate is not worse than a million other games in mixing marriage/kids with gameplay but to Vets who only play FE games and nothing else apparently, it's a culture shock.

Edited by Reflex

The only thing that bothers me is the skinship. As cute as some people may find it, I find it HORRIFYING. Let me repeat that, HORRIFYING. You're basically petting people. SERIOUSLY??? Was that absolutely neccasary? I swear, that creeps me out like crazy!!